LEGO Deals 3

[quote name='mweav067']Sorry for the double post, but did you find out if this is company wide or is it still on a store to store basis?[/QUOTE]

This is the only wal-mart within 100 miles that even has one. Not sure.

Had some okay finds today:

Geonosian Starfighter 14.50 at Target
(They also had the Sith Infiltrator 7961, but at $50, so passed)

Recycling Truck 14.50 at Wal-mart and
Sith Infiltrator 7961 at 29.50, so picked it up

Also passed on a MF Ghost Train for $55 at Target. Okay price, but even though the train is amusing, I don't really want it. Had it been $35 or $40, probably would have caved.

Most Targets are very low on product. Some had the Gungan sub, Jabba's Palace, and others that have been on clearance in some places, but were full price. Other stores were just wiped of product, with new sets beginning to trickle in.

The only consistent Lego I saw on clearance was the Advent Calendars (SW and City), but still expensive for clearance (34.98 and 27.98), the Hero Factory motorcycle set (don't know, don't care). A couple of stores had some older Ninjago (motorcycle and green snake monster truck...thing, $10 and $34 respectively).

I think Lego did very well this year.

I think I'm done, too. Were it not for the other clearancy things I picked up (laptop speaker, baking chocolate, Star Trek tumblers for $6), it would have been a lukewarm haul today, though I can't complain at the Sith Infiltrator for more than half off.

AWD has a MF for $113. Driod Exscape $16.23. Five X--Wings from $48.63. The Friends Camper set at ~$26.

I was trying to rememebr every set that someone here wanted. :lol:

[quote name='bigdaddy']AWD has a MF for $113. Driod Exscape $16.23. Five X--Wings from $48.63. The Friends Camper set at ~$26.

I was trying to rememebr every set that someone here wanted. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Not sure if anyone was looking for one, but there were 3 Fire Brigades earlier on AWD for $90-something a piece (I think $97, but maybe it was $93). They went really quick. I thought about biting, but decided not to. The only 2 modulars I own are Cafe Corner and Green Grocer, which are both still in their boxes, but I can't justify keeping them considering the prices they command on the secondary market.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Not sure if anyone was looking for one, but there were 3 Fire Brigades earlier on AWD for $90-something a piece (I think $97, but maybe it was $93). They went really quick. I thought about biting, but decided not to. The only 2 modulars I own are Cafe Corner and Green Grocer, which are both still in their boxes, but I can't justify keeping them considering the prices they command on the secondary market.[/QUOTE]

I kind of doubt Fire Brigade at least in the near future will drive such a high price, the first 3 sets came and went just as fast as they arrived.

I was just curious how often do you guys go to Walmart or Target to look for clearance Lego items?
I don't get to go that often but whenever I go I never find anything left.

[quote name='mikepeluso']I was just curious how often do you guys go to Walmart or Target to look for clearance Lego items?
I don't get to go that often but whenever I go I never find anything left.[/QUOTE]

I stop in twice a week mostly.

I've been going like 3 times a week, but since I'm only working a day and a half a week until the semester starts again I've got nothing better to do. Plus Walmart is two and a half blocks from my house, even though I hate this particular Walmart.

[quote name='skiizim']I kind of doubt Fire Brigade at least in the near future will drive such a high price, the first 3 sets came and went just as fast as they arrived.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree. I could maybe see it hit double MSRP, but probably not much higher.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of the LEGO speculating market. I just buy stuff that I like, primarily when it's on sale. If it ends up being ridiculously expensive on the secondary market and I've still got it unopened, then I guess that's when I'm willing to sell.

Got a Diagon Alley for $200 off of eBay plus $16.01 shipping. Sadly it's being shipped UPS, so I now get to pray for safe shipping until it arrives. I should have watched better and made sure it was being shipped USPS.

I saw a Battle of Naboo 7929 on AWD for like $36. I don't see how that set is worth even close to that much. My Walmart still has a bunch for $12 on clearance.

I personally like the Fire Brigade set, but I agree that I don't see that price going up too much.

I like dealing with Amazon for new sets personally since it is easier to list and people seem to pay more. I also like to list sets as new but with no box to be able to save on shipping.

[quote name='mweav067']
I saw a Battle of Naboo 7929 on AWD for like $36. I don't see how that set is worth even close to that much. My Walmart still has a bunch for $12 on clearance.
[/QUOTE]

It's a Star Wars army builder set, so I'm not surprised. I can't believe they're just sitting at your Wal-Mart for only $12.

[quote name='mikepeluso']I was just curious how often do you guys go to Walmart or Target to look for clearance Lego items?
I don't get to go that often but whenever I go I never find anything left.[/QUOTE]

I will stop in at various Targets that are on my path or close to it every few days or once a week or so, except during this time of year and July when I am in far more often. That is when they do their twice yearly toy clearances, so I am doing extra hunting for Legos and other clearance.

[quote name='BingoBrown']It's a Star Wars army builder set, so I'm not surprised. I can't believe they're just sitting at your Wal-Mart for only $12.[/QUOTE]

Well they're gone now. So is the $27 Sith Infiltrator I went back for (I had it hidden behind a bunch of Monster Fighter sets since Monday, and on the day I decide I'm going to get it Walmart decided they needed to re-arrange). Oh well... Now I just wait for my Kmart with like 3 or 4 of them left to hopefully clearance it soon.

Also of interesting note with my Kmart, they had the Dirt Bike Transporter and Garbage Truck for $18.00, as opposed to $20.

Not exciting for most, I'm sure, but I picked up the 4625 small pink bucket for $7.50. It was the actual price on the shelf tag, which surprised me. (It's $14.99 online). Probably YMMV but for 224 pieces in rare(r) 'girl' colors, I thought it was a good deal.
DPCI 204-00-0050

http://www.target.com/p/lego-bricks...920802&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13920802

Edit: That Spongebob set also is $19.99 at Target (online and in store, well at least my store). Just kind of surprised me since some of their pricing is starting to lean toward TRU but then they throw curveballs.

http://www.target.com/p/lego-sponge...17/-/A-13920950#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=3817

My only other clearance find so far - a lone series 7 swimmer for a buck at Walmart. Never picked her up so that worked out. Man clearance in my areas sucks

I got the Super Star Destroyer when it was $310 and used a 10% off code that Amazon had sent me, so it was like $279... Then taxes shot it back up to about $296, but still a nice deal.

Planning to build it on Monday. Probably building my Black Pearl tomorrow.

Check your Walmarts guys, especially if you have some in smaller towns. Scored a Star Wars Landspeeder for $12 and the Pod Racers set for $35. They also had the Ewok set for like $12.

Lol my main walmart got a shipment of MFs in. Sadly its the one that NEVER clearances legos and always puts them in the wrong freaking spots. On another topic, I want to display my models. I have one of those weird balcony three-window flat spaces in my living room but its taken over by my mom's pictures of family and some antiques. I can't really display them anywhere due to space and I really wanna put my Helms Deep, Kingdoms Joust, Ninjago Ultrasonic Raider and that Chima bird jet thing on display. Do they make shelves deep enough for Helms Deep? (Hurrr I made a pun)

Quick and dirty review: The new highway speedster (31006) is quite possibly the best set released so far in 2013. Its so cool looking and its wheels are perfect for large minifig scale vehicles. (I think I may make this a thing lol...Unaki's quick and dirty lego reviews)

Final note: I am so torn right now. Do I sell my Republic Frigate that I scored for $50 or build it :< I want some extra cash but its soooo pretty.

[quote name='TheGame2K5']Check your Walmarts guys, especially if you have some in smaller towns. Scored a Star Wars Landspeeder for $12 and the Pod Racers set for $35. They also had the Ewok set for like $12.[/QUOTE]

You nailed it. I never see anything at my local Walmarts and Targets because I am in a bigger city.Thats gotta be it.

The walmart I usually get all my clearance sets at is in a city, while my local store is out in the middle of nowhere and was completely devoid of clearance this year. The one in the city has a much bigger Lego section with a better selection, but year after year they're super well stocked (overstocked even) and they NEVER label the prices or update the tags. Nobody knows the stuff is on clearance unless they scan the stuff. My smaller store has a smaller selection and usually sell through their stock at xmas, and then immediately tag and label clearance when it goes active.

I think it is more a function of how large and well stocked the lego section of the store is and how well managed the store's pricing team is...and dumb luck like the SOB who got a $100 police station set for $7!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Unaki']Final note: I am so torn right now. Do I sell my Republic Frigate that I scored for $50 or build it :< I want some extra cash but its soooo pretty.[/QUOTE]

Build!

If a set is listed as Used on AWD, what does that mean? Should all bags still be intact, with messed-up packaging maybe? Or is it likely a return, with the possibility of having been opened?

For those of you who do get LEGO from AWD, do you only get Like New sets?

[quote name='HELLRAZR_28']If a set is listed as Used on AWD, what does that mean? Should all bags still be intact, with messed-up packaging maybe? Or is it likely a return, with the possibility of having been opened?

For those of you who do get LEGO from AWD, do you only get Like New sets?[/QUOTE]

The set could be pristine still sealed with a few bends on the box or it can be repackaged. I haven't heard any horror stories here but if the set is not to your liking or doesn't fit the description well you can always return it.

Thanks, skiizim!

I've been wanting to get the Batmobile & Two-Face chase for a while, and AWD had it for about $40; I wasn't able to find it clearanced after Christmas, so I'll gladly settle for that price. Hopefully all the pieces are intact, but like you said, if not I can always return it.

[quote name='HELLRAZR_28']Thanks, skiizim!

I've been wanting to get the Batmobile & Two-Face chase for a while, and AWD had it for about $40; I wasn't able to find it clearanced after Christmas, so I'll gladly settle for that price. Hopefully all the pieces are intact, but like you said, if not I can always return it.[/QUOTE]

Was it (or any of the Marvel/DC superhero sets) clearanced anywhere?

[quote name='180husher']
I think it is more a function of how large and well stocked the lego section of the store is and how well managed the store's pricing team is...and dumb luck like the SOB who got a $100 police station set for $7![/QUOTE]

Hey who you calling a SOB? ;) I looked at my receipt later and it said Kai's Blade Cycle! Sure enough, the barcode on the police station had been carefully covered with a different UPC sticker. I was like WTF? Some idiot did all that work and returned a $100 set for $7?

My local Walmart put new stuff out and the clearance stuff is wiped clean except alarm clocks and watches.

Annoying part with the watches is all the watches with the Captain Rex packaging are $7.50... Except for the Boba Fett watch which is still full price.

Don't really like the Galaxy Squad or Chima sets, except for that Eagle Interceptor from Chima.

I hate my Kmart. I found a NASCAR K'Nex set from 2010 and it was still full price. Looks like if I want the X-Wing I may have to just bite the bullet and pay full price.

Also waiting for the next B2G1 at Gamestop, I've had the urge to play through the Lego Star Wars and Harry Potter games lately.

[quote name='karkyco']Was it (or any of the Marvel/DC superhero sets) clearanced anywhere?[/QUOTE]
Yes. I got mine clearanced at Walmart. Most of the others were all normal price.

[quote name='Zepp-Head']Hey who you calling a SOB? ;) I looked at my receipt later and it said Kai's Blade Cycle! Sure enough, the barcode on the police station had been carefully covered with a different UPC sticker. I was like WTF? Some idiot did all that work and returned a $100 set for $7?[/QUOTE]

This happens quite a bit actually. It's usually a team that does this, one to apply stickers, one to come in later to buy. It's happened at my store a few times, but our cashiers are knowledgeable enough to know Lego prices to not allow the sale.

[quote name='prim4444'] but our cashiers are knowledgeable enough to know Lego prices to not allow the sale.[/QUOTE]

Whoa! Since when did TRU have knowledgeable cashiers?!

:booty:

You just set me up for that.

[quote name='prim4444']This happens quite a bit actually. It's usually a team that does this, one to apply stickers, one to come in later to buy. It's happened at my store a few times, but our cashiers are knowledgeable enough to know Lego prices to not allow the sale.[/QUOTE]
Wasn't there a guy who was busted for this? Some big time reseller who got caught with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff that he had been covering up UPCs with lesser LEGOs. Saw it on the news a few months back, pathetic really. I think he was a millionaire software executive or something.

Chima set 70005 Laval's Royal Fighter is 29.75 on Amazon currently. That set looks like a mess to me so I am passing. 25% off is not bad though, and who doesn't love the Chima minifigs.

[quote name='ackbar7']Chima set 70005 Laval's Royal Fighter is 29.75 on Amazon currently. That set looks like a mess to me so I am passing. 25% off is not bad though, and who doesn't love the Chima minifigs.[/QUOTE]

I actually HATE the lion minifigures, they look horrible. The Eagles look nice.

There have been several people who have been arrested for switching out the bar codes on LEGOs, really sad. :lol:

Yep. He was a vice-president of a big company. Lived in a huge house. And was faking bar codes to buy Lego cheaper then reselling it on eBay as "TomsBrickyard". News claims he made $30,000 in profit....which is just a drop in the bucket for this guy. Really insane.

[quote name='ackbar7']Wasn't there a guy who was busted for this? Some big time reseller who got caught with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff that he had been covering up UPCs with lesser LEGOs. Saw it on the news a few months back, pathetic really. I think he was a millionaire software executive or something.[/QUOTE]

Hey has there been a recent drop in the quality of bricks? I picked up the Daily Bugle set, and I swear everything felt....slightly off. All the pieces seemed a little off in feel (With a slicker feeling to me) and didn't snap as well as usual. A friend of mine who is a Lego nut said they probably didn't go through the washing process as well as usual because that apparently does this. It was just odd to me. I've built a ton of stuff in the last month so I don't think it was my imagination that the parts just felt...off.

Btw, other than that, love the Daily Bugle set for the $50 price point. The building is decent enough to go in my regular town setup, though with a zillion terrible (but easily built out) action features. The minifigs are nice (Who DOESN'T need a Lego Dr. Doom?) and Doom's vehicle is er...well good for parts.

Holy crap. I'm glad they didnt arrest me! I just thought I found a sweet deal when I initially bought. I would take it back but then they might think that I did the switcheroo.

On the subject of Chima... I like the Ewar alot actually and I think he is the only one with white wings so I placed a Shop at Home order to get the free one. His little ship is nice too.
I probably won't buy any other Chima unless heavily clearanced, its just not that great a theme IMO.

Edit: oh I see there are others with white wings too. Oh well still a cool minifig. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crowbb']Hey has there been a recent drop in the quality of bricks? I picked up the Daily Bugle set, and I swear everything felt....slightly off. All the pieces seemed a little off in feel (With a slicker feeling to me) and didn't snap as well as usual. A friend of mine who is a Lego nut said they probably didn't go through the washing process as well as usual because that apparently does this. It was just odd to me. I've built a ton of stuff in the last month so I don't think it was my imagination that the parts just felt...off.

Btw, other than that, love the Daily Bugle set for the $50 price point. The building is decent enough to go in my regular town setup, though with a zillion terrible (but easily built out) action features. The minifigs are nice (Who DOESN'T need a Lego Dr. Doom?) and Doom's vehicle is er...well good for parts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I started cutting back on Lego because the bricks are becoming thin shit. But it all seems to depend on the brick shape then anything else. I noticed while building a yellow truck that the 1x4 and 1x6 yellow bricks almost looked thinner to the other yellow bricks, like they didn't add enough dye, even even plastic because the "LEGO" on the studs didn't really show.

That set is awesome, the crack house has 200 lesspieces and is $50, yet a license set cost $50, almost 500 pieces and 5 minifigures, one of the best sets of the year.

Now, what pieces felt off? Some of the minifigure parts might be made in China, but the whole set shouldn't feel off. None of the bricks for sets are made at the same time. There should be certain pieces that feel off.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I actually HATE the lion minifigures, they look horrible. The Eagles look nice.

There have been several people who have been arrested for switching out the bar codes on LEGOs, really sad. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, the lions aten't great, but I i like the ravens, crocs and wolves as well as the eagles.

Don't forget the gorillas ...

Oh wait, those aren't out yet ...

lens20176590_1357203190-a-a.png

640px-Chima_Gorillas.jpg

.... and perhaps Rhinos and Bears ... Oh my!

[quote name='Zepp-Head']Hey who you calling a SOB? ;) I looked at my receipt later and it said Kai's Blade Cycle! Sure enough, the barcode on the police station had been carefully covered with a different UPC sticker. I was like WTF? Some idiot did all that work and returned a $100 set for $7?[/QUOTE]

I've personally never run into that but I've run into the aftermath of somebody trying it with a lower priced set, they cut out the barcode of the lower price, I asked an associate to do a price check and they told me about the switcharoo.

Maybe the police set he forgot to take off the barcode? You can buy it for $7, then peal the sticker off and go back and get $100 back?

bread's done
Back