LEGO Deals 3

Yesterday I went to two separate toy stores, one TRU, one Walmart, one KMart, one Target, and NONE of them had ANY series minifigs. I'm not even so interested in series 10, I can't even find series 9!

Anyway tonight I thought I would try my luck at a separate Walmart and another Target. The Walmart didn't have squat, and the Target did have series 10. I bought 13 of them blindly, and wasn't too disappointed in what I got.

Overall though, I am not too impressed with Series 10. I also finally got the Orc Forge for the first time. I had been searching for it for a while, and was glad to get it, even at MSRP.

There is a mom and pop toy store in the mall I work at that is having a 40% off liquidation sale on everything including their big lego selection. I was about to drop some serious money in there but then I noticed the prices were marked up worse that TRU. $20 sets were $26-27. Ugh I would have bought so much otherwise. I'll have to keep my eye out for further drops.

The B-Wing I ordered from Lego, which wasn't going to ship until the 16th, shipped yesterday. Sweet!

[quote name='Corvin']My B-wing from TRU arrived today... open.[/quote]

TRU is a horrible company, but this is one of those times when they have decent customer service.

Call them or send them an email (if you don't want to talk to them). I ordered the Winter Cottage from them, and when it arrived, it looked like it had been dropped from a great height. I would have been pissed if it was a gift for someone else.

So I sent them an email. Within 2 days, I got an email promising me a 10% credit back, and this was delivered within a week.

It's worth doing, even if you don't care about the condition of the box, because it sends the message that they need to be concerned about the condition of the items they sell. Plus, I think if you get AWD quality goods, you should be paying AWD prices.

I got my order placed on Saturday today. Just the vanilla x wing plus the ironman speedboat set. Got the Han and yoda poster too, but what was cool is that they threw in 3 series ten packs and the $20 Chima speedorz set for free! Way cool as I wanted to buy that for my son anyway.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I got my order placed on Saturday today. Just the vanilla x wing plus the ironman speedboat set. Got the Han and yoda poster too, but what was cool is that they threw in 3 series ten packs and the $20 Chima speedorz set for free! Way cool as I wanted to buy that for my son anyway.[/QUOTE]

I got a free Chima starter set. At first I worried they got my order wrong, but it was just a random freebie.

Hey can I get your guys opinions on the Lone Ranger sets.I am thinking about collecting all the sets and I am trying to decide if I should buy them early at retail or wait for sales or clearances.

Question 1: What do you think of the sets in general?
Question 2: What do you think the long term availability will be in stores and online.Will they either sell well or bomb and will they have a short run in stores or be on store shelves for a year like Prince of Persia.

Thanks

So I got an Amazon camel alert email this morning. Apparently the Palace Cinema hit $149 at 4am. I missed it and it's already back to $214.

[quote name='blandstalker']The B-Wing I ordered from Lego, which wasn't going to ship until the 16th, shipped yesterday. Sweet![/QUOTE]

This actually pisses me off a bit. Not at you, but at Lego, since I ordered mine at like 12:05 AM right when the sale went live and it hasn't shipped yet (the Han Solo mini-figure has though).

LEGO for several years now has used a third party shipping company that sucks at shipping. They have no clue what they are doing.

I like The Lone Ranger sets a lot, but I doubt there is any rush to buy them being the movie doens't come out for months.

I noticed that the Walmart app on Android now lists the clearance prices from your local stores. One of my local stores have awesome prices ($20 Quinjets and Batcaves, $70 Millennium Falcon) but sold out in everything. I'm tempted to do a return/rebuy but I feel like that isn't fair to the store.

Yeah, the email I got made me think the B-Wing had shipped, but then I got an email about it being delayed. They had just shipped my Han fig, poster, and this random Chima starter set that I don't want nor need. Guess my friend's kid will like it.

[quote name='FadeToOne']Yeah, the email I got made me think the B-Wing had shipped, but then I got an email about it being delayed. They had just shipped my Han fig, poster, and this random Chima starter set that I don't want nor need. Guess my friend's kid will like it.[/QUOTE]

Donate it to Brickset, they have a charity event to raise money for childrens' hospitals.
Following the success of the raffle kevbags ran in September that raised £300 for a children's cancer ward, he's organising another, this time with loads of great hard-to-find LEGO prizes, and with proceeds being distributed to hospitals worldwide:

- Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, UK
- Glasgow York Hill, UK
- Indianapolis Peyton Manning St Vincent, USA
- Canberra Hospital Foundation, Australia.

Tickets cost just £1 (multiple tickets allowed), payment via PayPal to [email protected]. Please include your Brickset ID (main site or forum) in the comments and use 'I'm sending money to family or friends' or the 'gift' option so we are not throwing money away on fees.

Anyone can enter -- wherever you are in the world -- but you'll need a PayPal account which means you have to be over 18 (I believe).

Find out more in the forum, and good luck!

[quote name='mikepeluso']Hey can I get your guys opinions on the Lone Ranger sets.I am thinking about collecting all the sets and I am trying to decide if I should buy them early at retail or wait for sales or clearances.

Question 1: What do you think of the sets in general?
Question 2: What do you think the long term availability will be in stores and online.Will they either sell well or bomb and will they have a short run in stores or be on store shelves for a year like Prince of Persia.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I like The Lone Ranger sets. I see them more as excellent Western sets than Lone Ranger. Which is probably a good thing because I really don't see the movie doing well. I suspect it will be like Prince of Persia.

[quote name='FadeToOne']Yeah, the email I got made me think the B-Wing had shipped, but then I got an email about it being delayed. They had just shipped my Han fig, poster, and this random Chima starter set that I don't want nor need. Guess my friend's kid will like it.[/QUOTE]

I got my B-Wing in today with that Chima set in it as well, I was confused too. Too bad it wasnt just about any line but Chima. lol. Might have to hold off building it till i move this summer as I have zero display space at the moment.

[quote name='mweav067']This actually pisses me off a bit. Not at you, but at Lego, since I ordered mine at like 12:05 AM right when the sale went live and it hasn't shipped yet (the Han Solo mini-figure has though).[/QUOTE]

Oh, don't be. I misread the email. Like you, they just shipped Han Solo and the poster. That's...weird to me. Why would they do that?

Found a fresh-looking end-display of Series 10 at Target. No Mr. Gold. Waste of time looking for him. I don't know if I'll do that again, but how often will I run into relatively fresh displays? I also wonder how fast I could get at identifying blind bags.

[quote name='mikepeluso']Question 1: What do you think of the sets in general?
Question 2: What do you think the long term availability will be in stores and online.Will they either sell well or bomb and will they have a short run in stores or be on store shelves for a year like Prince of Persia.[/QUOTE]

I really like the Lone Ranger sets, and I agree with dualedge2 -- they work as excellent Western sets. I don't care about/have no interest in the movie. Given that it's only because of Lego that I even know about it, it doesn't point to it being a big success.

I don't even like Westerns, but I like these sets. I don't want to wait for the Stagecoach -- usually I don't care for vehicles, but this one is terrific and the figures are also, and there are a ton of them.

As for the market, who knows? Will kids like a Western theme or will they pass? I think the sets will appeal to parents and grandparents, but if the movie is a giant bomb, that may affect their purchases, too.

I am waiting for a sale, only because I have no time for Lego right now anyway, so it doesn't matter if I get them now or months from now. So, I'll wait for a decent sale on the small sets and a substantial sale on the bigger ones.

hit the walmart today,and to my suprise they had series 10 minifigures so i picked up 4,and i got medusa,ships captain,british soldier? and a mr gold #3232.so that was cool.

[quote name='kronix29']hit the walmart today,and to my suprise they had series 10 minifigures so i picked up 4,and i got medusa,ships captain,british soldier? and a mr gold #3232.so that was cool.[/QUOTE]
Pics or it didn't happen.

Still haven't seen series 10 anywhere. Target & Meijer are usually my go-tos but they're still flooded with Series 9. My guess is that they have 'em but are waiting to put them out until the 9s disappear.

^ I have been here for years and haven't figured that out yet. :lol:

My bad, I bought LEGO Champion, not Creationary. I had been looking at buying that one too.

I bought LEGO Champion for $11.xx from AWD. 200 pieces, most 2x4 and some micro guys isn't a bad deal to me. Plus I needed some washers and such for a hose, added a LEGO baseplate for the normal price, which is hard to find, and just got over $25. I'm trying to get as many micro guys and all the Heroica sets before they completely disappear. I should have bought them when TRU had a B2G1F sale online months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Lone Ranger stuff too. Though I don't intend to use them as western sets. A bit of modding and the train can go in my city and the same for the mine (be it city or fantasy). The buildings are nice too. I'm not that keen on the stagecoach. It's a great stagecoach but it isn't something I was clamoring for.

They did a far better job on these than the mostly terrible Man of Steel and mediocre Iron Man 3 (Except of course Zamboni Mandarin. Heh.)

[quote name='blandstalker']Oh, don't be. I misread the email. Like you, they just shipped Han Solo and the poster. That's...weird to me. Why would they do that?

Found a fresh-looking end-display of Series 10 at Target. No Mr. Gold. Waste of time looking for him. I don't know if I'll do that again, but how often will I run into relatively fresh displays? I also wonder how fast I could get at identifying blind bags.

I really like the Lone Ranger sets, and I agree with dualedge2 -- they work as excellent Western sets. I don't care about/have no interest in the movie. Given that it's only because of Lego that I even know about it, it doesn't point to it being a big success.

I don't even like Westerns, but I like these sets. I don't want to wait for the Stagecoach -- usually I don't care for vehicles, but this one is terrific and the figures are also, and there are a ton of them.

As for the market, who knows? Will kids like a Western theme or will they pass? I think the sets will appeal to parents and grandparents, but if the movie is a giant bomb, that may affect their purchases, too.

I am waiting for a sale, only because I have no time for Lego right now anyway, so it doesn't matter if I get them now or months from now. So, I'll wait for a decent sale on the small sets and a substantial sale on the bigger ones.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! No Mr. Gold for me. I'm buying them through the online store just to guarantee (Hopefully) that they haven't been searched and I have 31 minifigs, but no gold or 4 others.

[quote name='kronix29']hit the walmart today,and to my suprise they had series 10 minifigures so i picked up 4,and i got medusa,ships captain,british soldier? and a mr gold #3232.so that was cool.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kronix29']how do i post a pic?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bigdaddy']^ I have been here for years and haven't figured that out yet. :lol:

I just bought LEGO Creationary for $11.xx from AWD. 200 pieces, most 2x4 and some micro guys isn't a bad deal to me. Plus I needed some washers and such for a hose, added a LEGO baseplate for the normal price, which is hard to find, and just got over $25. I'm trying to get as many micro guys and all the Heroica sets before they completely disappear. I should have bought them when TRU had a B2G1F sale online months ago.[/QUOTE]

Upload pics to any pic sharing/hosting site (imgr, photobucket, etc.), then take the link to said pic and use the "Insert Image"
insertimage.gif
button above the text field for your post.

[quote name='kronix29']how do i post a pic?[/QUOTE]

Just use a host like photobucket, then you can just paste a link here back to the photo or insert that link in the "insert image" right above.

Was browsing the Fry's site as I do every Friday to check the ad, and decided to search a bit. They actually have a few older Lego sets that are out of print/harder to find now available for shipping and/or in store pickup. Prices are virtually all MSRP, and I've heard their shipping costs suck, but perhaps some of you could be in the market for some of these sets. Series 5, 7, and 8 minifigs for $1.99, Toy Story Woody's Toy Roundup for $49.99, a bunch of the Alien Invasion, Atlantis, and Dino Attack sets at MSRP.

[quote name='Corvin']Still haven't seen series 10 anywhere. Target & Meijer are usually my go-tos but they're still flooded with Series 9. My guess is that they have 'em but are waiting to put them out until the 9s disappear.[/QUOTE]

Chances are, they had them out. Over here, in 3 stores, it's been the same thing. The put the box out, it's empty a couple hours later.

[quote name='karkyco']Was browsing the Fry's site as I do every Friday to check the ad, and decided to search a bit. They actually have a few older Lego sets that are out of print/harder to find now available for shipping and/or in store pickup. Prices are virtually all MSRP, and I've heard their shipping costs suck, but perhaps some of you could be in the market for some of these sets. Series 5, 7, and 8 minifigs for $1.99, Toy Story Woody's Toy Roundup for $49.99, a bunch of the Alien Invasion, Atlantis, and Dino Attack sets at MSRP.[/QUOTE]

Yep, shipping absolutely kills any deals. Probably cheaper to go through ebay.

Your stores might just get in series 10 later. My KMart and Target got in series 9 late, and TRU sold out for awhile, but then were very easy to find.

[quote name='bigdaddy']^ I have been here for years and haven't figured that out yet. :lol:

I just bought LEGO Creationary for $11.xx from AWD. 200 pieces, most 2x4 and some micro guys isn't a bad deal to me. Plus I needed some washers and such for a hose, added a LEGO baseplate for the normal price, which is hard to find, and just got over $25. I'm trying to get as many micro guys and all the Heroica sets before they completely disappear. I should have bought them when TRU had a B2G1F sale online months ago.[/QUOTE]
I got all the heroica sets- I have 2 unopened that I got last week. I play with my son, the games are ok. Creationary for $11 sounds great - I would get that if I saw it-I don't have that one yet. I have a lot of the Lego games.

I am up visiting my parents so I hit a TRU I don't normally see. Was surprised to see the Toy Story dump truck for $5.50 and grabbed it. They also had World Racers Desert of Destruction which I haven't seen in a while but it was typical TRU tax price, so I passed.

^ That store is really living in the past. :lol:

The worst thing is wasn't the TS truck $20 or something nuts? I got it for $6ish from Kmart. Nice little set.

Heroica rules are lame, but I have some nerdy friends and we would be able to make it better.

Edit...
My bad, I bought LEGO Champion, not Creationary. I had been looking at buying that one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I've found odd old stuff there before. Their prices are at the high end even for TRU though so it's never worth it except for clearance stuff. Did see a super star destroyer with a clearance sticker there too but it rang up full price.

Fred Meyer looks to have put some stuff on clearance. I saw the Hulk set, Batman/Twoface set, Weathertop and the big Creator truck, all for a little over half off. Picked up the Batman set and another Weathertop. Super tempted by the truck, but $40 was still a little rich for my blood.

Got my orders from TRU(B-wing) and LEGO S@H(Rancor & AT-RT). Got 2 Hans! Here's a pic.
Forgot to put the poster and mr.gold sticker in the shot: TRU shipping has delayed my free mandalorian poly for another week.
maythe4thorders.jpg

Stopped by Toys R Us last night, and I was surprised at the Castle sets have popped up, and were part of the spend $40 get a $10 giftcard. I held of on getting set 70404 King's Castle until I get paid ($109 bucks), but I did start building an Army by buying four of set 70400 Forest Ambush at $12.99 each

So I finally put a few sets together.

I built the PoP Fight for the Dagger set. I got it on Ebay, and I must say I not that that impressed with the set. I will definitely be taking to apart for MOC building.

I also built the Lego Creator cabin set. It is still on sale at Amazon for around 23.xx. This set is awesome for that price. I am contemplating getting another one for the pieces. Really neat set.

I have An Unexpected Gathering coming to me from Amazon. After it went on sale for 54.xxish and I had a few extra dollars in credit, I just couldn't say no. Can't wait for it to get here.

And I still can't find anymore minfigs, series 9 or 10. I only need the waiter to complete s9 :/

[quote name='GoAztecs']Stopped by Toys R Us last night, and I was surprised at the Castle sets have popped up, and were part of the spend $40 get a $10 giftcard. I held of on getting set 70404 King's Castle until I get paid ($109 bucks), but I did start building an Army by buying four of set 70400 Forest Ambush at $12.99 each[/QUOTE]

I wonder when we will see these sets at Walmart?
Also, was this just your store, or can we expect other TRU to have them out as well?

[quote name='SSchmidt']

And I still can't find anymore minfigs, series 9 or 10. I only need the waiter to complete s9 :/[/QUOTE]

Damnit. I would have had 1-2 extra waiters but I got the two faced scientist by mistake.

[quote name='SSchmidt']I wonder when we will see these sets at Walmart?
Also, was this just your store, or can we expect other TRU to have them out as well?[/QUOTE]

I would guess other stores would have them as well. My local store is just a regular Toys R Us. Hopefully Walmart will have them soon because I really want the castle, and to continue to build up a little army.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Damnit. I would have had 1-2 extra waiters but I got the two faced scientist by mistake.[/QUOTE]

I'm also missing the waiter and made the same mistake with the two faced figure.

I found Series 10 at Kmart and proceeded to get a complete set.

My TRU now locks up the minifigures (i.e. no more feeling for the ones you want).

[quote name='lordopus99']I found Series 10 at Kmart and proceeded to get a complete set.

My TRU now locks up the minifigures (i.e. no more feeling for the ones you want).[/QUOTE]

I find what TRU does to be funny being 'm willing to bet that the employees of that store have stolen more than the costumers have.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I find what TRU does to be funny being 'm willing to bet that the employees of that store have stolen more than the costumers have.[/QUOTE]

But feeling for the figures isn't stealing.

It's also stupid from a sales perspective. If I can feel for the figures, I'll buy a whole set. If not, I'll buy zero.

I have only had a TRU employee wonder about what I was doing once, and I told her why. She thought it was cool.

I never had issues, most ignore me, others know what I'm doing. So they had to lock them up over them being stolen, I'm saying it's probably the employees doing the stealing. :)

Perhaps they are locking them up not because of theft, but because of the messes customers are making. Since wave 10 came out I am finding them scattered around all the stores around here. As if the people feel them while they roam through the store then just toss them aside along the way.

I too misread the shipping notice for the B-wing. My other stuff did show up along with one of those Chima starter sets with the bike things. I didn't order it nor did i get charged for it. I didn't have any interest in these things, but I guess free is the right price.

bread's done
Back