LEGO Deals 3

Lego still hasn't shipped my order from Friday at 9:30 AM yet. -__-

I saw Man of Steel and thought it was awesome.

My Target has a few Superhero sets on sale this week... Mostly for a couple dollars off. I'll probably bite on the Spidercycle set for $17.

Not really a deal, unless you have a 10% off coupon from the new catalog. But you would get a Jor El.Came in an email today.

Just for LEGO® VIPs! Early access to the new LEGO® The Lord of the Rings
Tower of Orthanc™ + FREE Poster!
From June 17th through June 30th, you have the exclusive opportunity to purchase the new 10237 Tower of Orthanc™ before anyone else, at LEGO® Stores and shop.LEGO.com. Plus, as part of early access, you will receive a free, limited edition LEGO The Lord of the Rings™ poster with your purchase.*

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the weekend I went to the TRU Fathers Day mini build with my boys. Also picked up the Lone Ranger poly and since they were BOGO 50% off picked up a pod racer poly. Last night I put together the new Creator Family House, awesome build and design!

Picked up a couple of sets on clearance at Wal-Mart.

Quinjet - $25
Cars 2 Flo's V8 Cafe - $30

Anyone else ever pick up any of the Cars 2 sets? I like the look and love the cars as kind of minifigs. Wondering if I should look for the other Cars 2 sets. I know at this point they'll be tough to find.

As for the Quinjet, it's my first marvel set, and now I have to at least collect all the Avengers. Damn you Lego. Actually damn my collecting habit...

Meijer in Arlington Heights IL has the Quinjet for $35. Not as good as others are finding in Walmart clearance, but we don't get good Lego clearance from Walmart around here. Walmarts just put a red sticker on their Lego with the regular price, really ticks me off! I bought 2 of the jets, one for me and one for my son, but there were 4 left on the shelf this afternoon.

I'll swing by my Walmart on the way home and check to see if they have anything.

I got annoyed with Target about a week ago, found a Shelob Attacks set but it rang up as salvage so they refused to sell it to me. I didn't feel like putting up a fuss.

I like the Cars 2 sets a lot, and have quite a few of them. And yes, I think the Cars themselves are great stand ins for the minifigures.

I like the Cars theme a lot, I kind of wish they continued them.  I only have the V8 Cafe, but the oil well set and the fire truck set are awesome.  With the spinoff "Planes" getting a couple of movies I hope we get some sets for them next year.

And AWD has some LotR sets and a few big sets, like the big Batman set is $138 and the fire brigade and some CC style corner set is $130.

Got my Comic-Con tickets today. I hope the Lego exclusives don't dissappoint!

Eat shit, seriously though, eat a lot of it! :bouncy:

I loathe comic con, I've tried to get tickets the past 3 years.

I was at the Lego Store today, they had a display for the Tower of Orthanc, it looked cool but the back seemed a bit disapointing.

I don't really have high hopes for the movie. It has been hard for the LEGO movies to remain entertaining beyond the 20-30 minute mark, and a real feature length theatrical release doesn't really seem promising. The inclusion of all of the various themes makes me a little more interested than I otherwise would be. Not really looking forward to the sets, but certainly there will be the theme, there is no other reason for them to make a movie like that.

I don't really have high hopes for the movie. It has been hard for the LEGO movies to remain entertaining beyond the 20-30 minute mark, and a real feature length theatrical release doesn't really seem promising. The inclusion of all of the various themes makes me a little more interested than I otherwise would be. Not really looking forward to the sets, but certainly there will be the theme, there is no other reason for them to make a movie like that.
When was the last movie?

I think with the makers of CwaCoM <- HA, shows high hopes, and with an all star cast, seems like it should at least be great for families. I loved some of the set cameos, blue space guy, that was good.

When was the last movie?
The LEGO Batman movie just came out, it is an hour and a half long, and about 20 minutes in I walked away to let my daughter finish it on her own. She liked it a lot, but the humor is not top notch unless you are under 10. I also had a similar experience trying to watch the Clutch Powers movie, a movie this new movie seems much more similar to. On the other hand I found the more recent Star Wars LEGO release much more palatable, and I think that is about 25 minutes long.

The all-star cast certainly raises ones hopes some, but is in no way a guarantee of a decent script.

Yeah LEGO history with movies isn't that great, and why would I waste $12 to see a movie when LEGO movies are normally that much for a DVD and mini figure?

The movie could be great if it had adult and kid humour, which I'm doubting.

So will the sets have fresh tone mini figures because it's a license?  ;)

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs had a pretty good mix of stuff for adults and kids. It's not like the joke about the blue space guy was for the kids in the audience. On the other hand, I'm not sure about the animation style and how it will wear over the two hour feature length. The combo of stop-motion-esque movement and fully animated faces may prove to be a bit much after a while. However, I will reserve judgement until such time as we know more about the plot, etc. It's hard to get more than a cursory feel for the movie from this trailer.

To be fair, and I haven't seen Man of Steal, but it's a Superman movie, they have never made a good one.  It's not possible to make a good one, Superman is just super lame.

This Lego movie couldn't suck anymore than the Man of Steel.
You didn't like Man of Steel? Your a hard man to please, what movies do you like?
I was really looking forward to it, but it was just a mess. Started off cool, great action, but the story and editing...blah. Kids and I enjoyed After Earth more than Man of Steel, which surprised us all. So far this summer, I'd have to say Star Trek 2 delivered the goods more than any other movie.

To be fair, and I haven't seen Man of Steal, but it's a Superman movie, they have never made a good one. It's not possible to make a good one, Superman is just super lame.
Unbreakable. Best Superman movie that really isn't Superman.

I really liked the movie. The score could've been better though.
Yep, don't waste your money on the soundtrack...just get that one track they use in the 3 minute trailer and you're set.

I put together a couple of sets.

First, the Architecture Robie House.  This is a nice set, but with its price tag, it better be.  I felt it combined the best of the Architecture line with all the things I find annoying about it.

When you're done, you get a nice sized model.  I think I like the Lego version even better than the original house.  The original is a red brick color, but the Lego model is made from the burgundy bricks.  That gives it a richness that I like.  It also means it could sub for Japanese or Chinese buildings, or fit nicely into a fantasy theme, which is also a plus in my book.

There are some clever building bits, including some sideways building segments, plus you can remove parts of the roof and the top floor.  This is very welcome.  The notes said the designer did this intentionally so you can put a light inside.  I approve of this.  I felt that was missing from the Farnsworth House, where you have to rip the roof off to peek inside.  The only downside is that there are no details at all on the inside.  I know that because of scale that would have to be very limited, but still.

Other downsides?  Lots of 1x1 bricks, which I find annoying.  I just don't like building with them for the most part.  When I get to steps that require 60 or 90 of the things, I shudder.  The look could be replicated with 1x2 bricks, which I find a lot friendlier.  (It would bulk up the inside walls slightly, but there's nothing going on inside there anyway).

It's a very nice showpiece.  That said, I think I will not be getting any more Architecture.  The high cost of entry, the generally small models, and the reliance on the hated 1x1 bricks conspire to send me elsewhere. 

I purchased it at a significant discount on AWD and I still feel it was overpriced.  I might pick up Fallingwater, but only if I found it for < 50, which is not very likely.  (There's one on AWD now for 80, which: no way).

I also put together the Palace Cinema.  Wow.  No complaints about this one.  It has everything that make modulars great, and lots of neat features.  The build is enjoyable, with interesting bits on each floor.  Nice assortment of minifigures, a car, some extra movie-related accessories, and a general feeling that everything is polished and complete.

Everything is well thought out and there are details everywhere.  The outside has multiple layers of decoration, and the roof and sign are not only beautiful to look at, but fun to build.  There's not a feeling that they left anything out -- tons of lights, a projector, a popcorn machine -- everything's there.

The only thing I don't like are the stickers, but what else is new?  Apart from that, there are a lot of nice gold accent bricks and some printed 'walk of fame' tiles that are great.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Palace Cinema.  I remember thinking it looked small in the Lego store, but it certainly feels huge here at home.

This Lego movie couldn't suck anymore than the Man of Steel.
You didn't like Man of Steel? Your a hard man to please, what movies do you like?
I was really looking forward to it, but it was just a mess. Started off cool, great action, but the story and editing...blah. Kids and I enjoyed After Earth more than Man of Steel, which surprised us all. So far this summer, I'd have to say Star Trek 2 delivered the goods more than any other movie.

To be fair, and I haven't seen Man of Steal, but it's a Superman movie, they have never made a good one. It's not possible to make a good one, Superman is just super lame.
Unbreakable. Best Superman movie that really isn't Superman.

I really liked the movie. The score could've been better though.
Yep, don't waste your money on the soundtrack...just get that one track they use in the 3 minute trailer and you're set.
I agree, of the movies I have seen recently I probably enjoyed Star Trek 2 the most.

I personally loved Man of Steel. The first part of the movie could have flowed a little better, and the action sequences became a lot of "let's blow stuff up for the sake of blowing stuff up" which annoys the crap out of me, but overall I really loved it.

Star trek into darkness NEVER happened. I refuse to acknowledge the existene of that piece of shit.

My dad loved getting the Technic Pick-up Tow Truck, and I love having the Jor-el minifigure too.

My boyfriend order the Tower of Orthanc from lego.com on the 18th and it came this morning.  I do not know how he is going to be able to work today knowing it is here.  It came with a free Jor-El minifigure and a free Tower of Orthanc poster.  It also came with a free Chima starter battle set #70113 that he did not know about.  He has stayed away from this line besides me buying Razcal's Glider #70000.

Those Chima sets are really not selling.  Maybe LEGO will smarten up and realize that people don't want 20 new started sets in the first year.

And Star Trek Into Darkness is not Star Trek 2!  Star Trek 2 came out 30 years ago, it's Star Trek 12.  I haven't seen it but all the Star Trek movies suck, so saying they aren't "Star Treky" means nothing, none of them are.

So I ordered two Series 10 mini-figures to hit the $75 threshold when I ordered my dad's gift...

Considering I only had the bee girl and amazon warrior at this point, I figured my chances were good I'd get two new ones.

I now have a spare bee girl, and a spare judge from Series 9. Willing to trade both, looking in particular for Medusa and the sea captain from Series 10.

So I ordered two Series 10 mini-figures to hit the $75 threshold when I ordered my dad's gift...

Considering I only had the bee girl and amazon warrior at this point, I figured my chances were good I'd get two new ones.

I now have a spare bee girl, and a spare judge from Series 9. Willing to trade both, looking in particular for Medusa and the sea captain from Series 10.

Good luck. I'm having a hell of a time finding another Medusa. You have a 3.33% chance of getting her at my TRU. (Two boxes of 60, only 2 per box)

Good luck. I'm having a hell of a time finding another Medusa. You have a 3.33% chance of getting her at my TRU. (Two boxes of 60, only 2 per box)
I have 5 Medusas. Looks like this fig may have some value a couple of years down the road.

Going to the Lego store opening near me Sat/Sun to get the freebies.  Technically it opened today but today's free item with purchase was just a t-shirt so I'm not bothering.  Now I have to decide if I want to grab the palace cinema or Orthanc tomorrow.  Both look pretty awesome.

I doubt it.  None of the minifigures after series 3 has been that expensive.  On the secondary market it's not based on "rarity", besides Mr. Gold, but that's a completist bullshit thing, it's based on army building like soldiers and forest people because people need more than one of them.  You can check Amazon, complete sets are really noth that expensive, normally $55-$80 and they go up and down.

No one but you needs five of them.  :lol:

Kmart clearance time again! Just grabbed two Old Republic Strikers for $17. Vampire Hearse is $13--both sold out online but check your stores. Kmart's been my best place for deals this year.

Kmart clearance time again! Just grabbed two Old Republic Strikers for $17. Vampire Hearse is $13--both sold out online but check your stores. Kmart's been my best place for deals this year.
Are they running the additional 50% off clearance again, or are these new markdowns?

Noticed TRU ad has all minifigs at 2 for $5.

My wallet is not happy.   Went to the store opening nearby, couldn't resist buying bad things.  Grabbed the theater yesterday and Orthanc today. 

I picked up the Republic Striker-class Fighter for $36 at Walmart a couple months back because it was a set I really wanted... Haven't built it yet, but the $36 seems like a fair price for it.

Built the B-Wing yesterday... It's fairly impressive. Not sure where the complaints about it not staying together are coming from, mine held together pretty well in transport from downstairs to upstairs. Not sure how I feel about it not attaching to the stand though.

Has anyone seen the BttF picture they have at TnB? Runaway favorite for most disappointing set of the year. No minifigures and a worse design than the original. Cuusoo is looking like a real dud.

For anyone attending the grand opening of the White Plains store on Friday the 28th, I'll be there helping out. We'll be building an 8ft. R2-D2 and probably have some swag to give away. You can pick up the exclusive Legostore model!

The BttF set is the biggest letdown of the year, and just shows how lame Cuusoo really is, and no one give me that bullshit it's still in beta, it's been years, the damn thing launched in Japan years ago.

However it does come with minifigures.

It comes with two minifigures and three variant builds, I'll be waiting to pass judgement until I see more photos but I think you guys are being a wee bit over dramatic about BTTF and Cuusoo :p

Cussoo has been a vote since it went worldwide and this hasn't chaned that.

They just announce last fall's winner, by the time the damn rover set comes out the Mars Rover official program will be over.

bread's done
Back