LEGO Deals 3

The stair-stepped hood on that official DeLorean is hideous.

LEGO-Back-to-the-Future-Time-Machine-Cuusoo-Pre.jpg

Nice to know it has minifigs, but the original build of the car was so much better. And for a set that doesn't look particularly complicated it is hard to see what took so long in releasing it. Imagine if the huge western set had been chosen, it would have been 5 years until we saw it.

Built the B-Wing yesterday... It's fairly impressive. Not sure where the complaints about it not staying together are coming from, mine held together pretty well in transport from downstairs to upstairs. Not sure how I feel about it not attaching to the stand though.
The whole "not attaching" thing has me nervous about the Space Shuttle set (10213). Having it sitting on the launch pad without connecting in probably improves the play value, but it just feels like a strong wind will have have me come home one day to a floor full of white and orange bricks.

I knocked over my GS blue and white fighter jet, it's in 20 pieces on the floor.

Don't drop LEGO set, they aren't well built anymore.  And that's my problem with the car, the hood is ugly for no reason and the "windshield" is just pressed against the roof, it's all very weird and ugly.

And it's at least a $35 set, that's just too much for a car, the Super Heroes get $20, plus $5 for the new lisence shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
It comes with two minifigures and three variant builds, I'll be waiting to pass judgement until I see more photos but I think you guys are being a wee bit over dramatic about BTTF and Cuusoo :p
I agree.

I hated the new Castle sets by just looking at the pictures. After I bought the first one, I was hooked. You really don't know how they may end up until you get them in front of you in many cases.

The whole "not attaching" thing has me nervous about the Space Shuttle set (10213). Having it sitting on the launch pad without connecting in probably improves the play value, but it just feels like a strong wind will have have me come home one day to a floor full of white and orange bricks.
The house I live in has precisely zero airflow to it, so wind isn't a worry. Should one of our cats get into that room and up on the shelf though, that could be a problem. It is a snug fit on the stand at least, but not snug enough that something couldn't knock it off.

If that is the official set for the DeLorean I'm skipping it. That thing is hideous... The only cool thing I can find is that it looks like it has printed pieces for the dashboard.

For anyone attending the grand opening of the White Plains store on Friday the 28th, I'll be there helping out. We'll be building an 8ft. R2-D2 and probably have some swag to give away. You can pick up the exclusive Legostore model!
My sister works at that mall so she's going to stop by to see if she can pick something up. How much is the exclusive model? Or do you have to spend $75 to get it?

I've had the shuttle on the launchpad for a year or so on a side table and so far so good.

That BttF set is disappointing. I was pretty excited for it, but after seeing the pictures... meh.

Some good deals again at Fred Meyer. Picked up the garbage truck for 10.80, some series 2 SW planets for 4.50, and the Friends camper for 22.50. There may be some other stuff worthwhile at other locations, and remember to use the 10% off home coupon for the full savings.

Called out sick from work yesterday.  Intended to sleep to get rid of my massive headache.  Instead...decided to just build a "bag or two" of Orthanc.  6 hours later....Orthanc complete.  Damn this thing is beautiful.  Now I'm having crazy thoughts of buying a bunch of black gates to build a ring around the tower, then finishing it with a gate/drawbridge part.

Called out sick from work yesterday. Intended to sleep to get rid of my massive headache. Instead...decided to just build a "bag or two" of Orthanc. 6 hours later....Orthanc complete. Damn this thing is beautiful. Now I'm having crazy thoughts of buying a bunch of black gates to build a ring around the tower, then finishing it with a gate/drawbridge part.
That would end up being close to a $1,000 display. Awesome, but a little rich for my tastes.

Yes because an $800 display isn't too much. ;)
Well yeah, I certainly have that. Maybe I really meant too much on 1 set, or not enough variety. I really like the gate, but it seems a little more than I would want to spend for it. Maybe it needs more figs, certainly it needs the second half of the gate.

My sister works at that mall so she's going to stop by to see if she can pick something up. How much is the exclusive model? Or do you have to spend $75 to get it?

I've had the shuttle on the launchpad for a year or so on a side table and so far so good.

That BttF set is disappointing. I was pretty excited for it, but after seeing the pictures... meh.
You do have to make a purchase to get it. I'm not sure about the amount, but wasn't it $35?

I must be in the minority here, but I like this newer DeLorean design over the original. The figures are ok. They could have gone the extra mile and given Doc a cloth lab coat, Marty a cloth jacket and reduce the size of that hideous skateboard mold (so out of minifig scale).

Wow, is that the finished product? That's hideous, not to mention inaccurate. Should be Nov. 5, 1955. Marty never went to 1958.
I'm very disappointed with the set. I'm hoping the alternate builds might be better. I'll probably still get it, since I'm a big BTTF fan. Someone on Brickset pointed out that the 1958 date on the dashboard is actually the date which the Lego brick was first patented, which I thought was a neat little touch.

So we can travel back in time to make sure the LEGO brick never is used to make the ugly hood?  :lol:

My main issue is the price and the hood, we have several great newer piece cheese slops and they couldn't add any to make it look sloped?

My main issue is the price and the hood, we have several great newer piece cheese slops and they couldn't add any to make it look sloped?
Totally agree with this, especially since the original model accomplished this and accommodated the BttF 3 model. It's the most prominent feature in the picture and it looks awful.

I'm on the fence with the set, but since it has the minifigs, I'll probably cave and get it at some point.

Big heads up for the community. Tomorrow kicks off our 4th of July sale. The entire Monster Fighters theme will be on sale with the exception of the Haunted House. Usually the case with sale products is that we won't carry them anymore so this could be bye-bye for the theme. All items will be marked down 20%!! Happy hunting!

This morning AWD had the stagecoach from Lone Ranger for $21.51, bought it and the smallest TMNT ($8.1x).  They also had the Lone Ranger bank and sheriff set for $37.xx, cool pieces but the bank feels unfinished.  I'm waiting for $35.

I just built the Lone Ranger camp site set. It's decent. It comes with 3 figs and a canoe which is nice. The tent is a little a disappointing. I was planning to turn the cover around so it was plain but the graphic show through.

This morning AWD had the stagecoach from Lone Ranger for $21.51, bought it and the smallest TMNT ($8.1x). They also had the Lone Ranger bank and sheriff set for $37.xx, cool pieces but the bank feels unfinished. I'm waiting for $35.
Dammit, I always miss the Lone Ranger sets. The stage coach looks awesome for $21. At the $30 MSRP it seems like the best value of any set so far this year.

Dammit, I always miss the Lone Ranger sets. The stage coach looks awesome for $21. At the $30 MSRP it seems like the best value of any set so far this year.
Keep an eye out, because this afternoon they added another stagecoach set for the same price.

Big heads up for the community. Tomorrow kicks off our 4th of July sale. The entire Monster Fighters theme will be on sale with the exception of the Haunted House. Usually the case with sale products is that we won't carry them anymore so this could be bye-bye for the theme. All items will be marked down 20%!! Happy hunting!
Any idea if this will be online at some point?

Rare craigslist find - scored both the winter village toy shop and bakery for $60 total. Got them home and they are both about 85% complete, missing some minifigs. But its a lot better than paying ebay prices. Need to download instructions and figure out all the specific missing pieces and order them. The guy I met was very nice and also had a Castle market village he was selling but I couldn't pull the trigger and afford to get into another line.

From ToysNBricks,

Yoyo.com now has the new LEGO Star Wars Jabba’s Sail Barge listed. Its not supposed to be released until August 1, 2013 in North America, but apparently, they have it instock and is letting you order it now. You can also use coupon code FIREWORKS for 17.76% off to bring the price down to $99.99 (reg.$119.99). As always, free shipping on orders above $35.

HI I used to get notifications to my email of new post now I don't do you know how to fix that.  I was thinking about going to lego discovery center anyone ever go to one?

HI I used to get notifications to my email of new post now I don't do you know how to fix that. I was thinking about going to lego discovery center anyone ever go to one?
Kids and I went to the one in Atlanta, GA last summer. It was "OK". I didn't think it was worth the money, although you can save a little buying tickets online I believe.

Kids and I went to the one in Atlanta, GA last summer. It was "OK". I didn't think it was worth the money, although you can save a little buying tickets online I believe.
My son will be 12 next month, maybe he is too old, not sure it is like $22 and I have a free coupon for him. Not sure.

I'd say 12 yrs old is pushing it.  They had two rides and both were geared to younger children as well as the movies they showed.  The one thing the kids did enjoy was building your own racers and racing against other kids, but even with that you have to find any employee with wheels. You don't get to keep what you build, although I think some people do, thus having to find wheels!

Now Legoland, CA is something I can fully recommend.  Short lines, good variety of rides, lots of things to do and see.  I spent twice as much money at Disneyland and the kids didn't have a tenth of the fun that we did at Legoland.  If we ever go to Florida, it won't be for Disneyworld!

I'd say 12 yrs old is pushing it. They had two rides and both were geared to younger children as well as the movies they showed. The one thing the kids did enjoy was building your own racers and racing against other kids, but even with that you have to find any employee with wheels. You don't get to keep what you build, although I think some people do, thus having to find wheels!

Now Legoland, CA is something I can fully recommend. Short lines, good variety of rides, lots of things to do and see. I spent twice as much money at Disneyland and the kids didn't have a tenth of the fun that we did at Legoland. If we ever go to Florida, it won't be for Disneyworld!
Sigh...I can't agree on Legoland. Thought it was the absolute worst rip off theme/amusement park I've ever been to...although all the great ones in SoCal have spoiled me no doubt. It just has such a cheap feel to the rides and attractions, particularly given ticket prices even with the best discounts.

Maybe it's because we went on that unbelievably stupid fairy tale boat ride first (mainly because every other ride had lines a mile long...don't know if we just happened to be unlucky enough to go on the busiest day of the year or some sort of Lego fan day). We waited close to 30 minutes just for that fucking boat ride, and half a fucking hour or longer for most other rides (some had wait times running into an hour or more...not ideal for young kids at all), none of them all that interesting even to young kids. A LOT of the rides just have such a cheap and boring feel to them. To me it felt like an extremely poor man's version of the earliest and most basic Disneyland rides. Maybe it's the Euro orientation/feel of the company, but the theme park itself felt like some sort of Soviet bloc/eastern European circa height of the Cold War/1960's theme park knock off of Disneyland. And all the Lego sets being full MSRP or maybe a 10% off for members/season pass holders, weak. The model displays are ok but so many of them are just aging poorly and discolored in the sun.

BTW, looks like Target summer toy clearance is ramping up, but I have yet to find a single Lego set on clearance. It's looking like they've sadly wised up and are not discounting the good stuff :cry:

Sigh...I can't agree on Legoland. Thought it was the absolute worst rip off theme/amusement park I've ever been to...although all the great ones in SoCal have spoiled me no doubt. It just has such a cheap feel to the rides and attractions, particularly given ticket prices even with the best discounts.

Maybe it's because we went on that unbelievably stupid fairy tale boat ride first (mainly because every other ride had lines a mile long...don't know if we just happened to be unlucky enough to go on the busiest day of the year or some sort of Lego fan day). We waited close to 30 minutes just for that fucking boat ride, and half a fucking hour or longer for most other rides (some had wait times running into an hour or more...not ideal for young kids at all), none of them all that interesting even to young kids. A LOT of the rides just have such a cheap and boring feel to them. To me it felt like an extremely poor man's version of the earliest and most basic Disneyland rides. Maybe it's the Euro orientation/feel of the company, but the theme park itself felt like some sort of Soviet bloc/eastern European circa height of the Cold War/1960's theme park knock off of Disneyland. And all the Lego sets being full MSRP or maybe a 10% off for members/season pass holders, weak. The model displays are ok but so many of them are just aging poorly and discolored in the sun.

BTW, looks like Target summer toy clearance is ramping up, but I have yet to find a single Lego set on clearance. It's looking like they've sadly wised up and are not discounting the good stuff :cry:
I wholeheartedly agree with you. As much as I love Lego, I cannot stand that theme park. Their waterpark is an exaggerated pool with a Lego theme.

Even though Disney keeps raising their prices, they are still the best at what they do. And don't forget Disney Annual Passholders also get 10% off at the Lego store in Downtown Disney.

All theme parks suck, they all cost way too much and have lines way too long.  Save your money and go to the beach.

Funny you guys should talk about theme parks. We are in Orlando right now for the week and are heading to Legoland tomorrow. It's been raining all week though so that kinda sucks. We've made the most of it though. We went to Seaworld on Monday and had a great time.

Today, we went to Downtown Disney to walk around. I was disappointed by the Lego store though. They didn't have anything unique to the store other than the water dragon poly and the spring poly. They also had the slave Lelia, Boba Fett, and red guard magnet set from 2010 for $7.50. Are those glued? The wall had a big selection, but nothing I hadn't seen before. The sculptures were pretty neat though. I'll post the pictures when I get back.

All theme parks suck, they all cost way too much and have lines way too long. Save your money and go to the beach.
This times over 9000.

The beach is where its at.

On topic, found a Lego Champion set today at Books a Million clearance 60% off. Ended up getting it for around $13. For 200+ bricks, I can't complain.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. As much as I love Lego, I cannot stand that theme park. Their waterpark is an exaggerated pool with a Lego theme.

Even though Disney keeps raising their prices, they are still the best at what they do. And don't forget Disney Annual Passholders also get 10% off at the Lego store in Downtown Disney.
I enjoy Disneyland, we just spent $2k on renewing are passes again. It was tough to bite the bullet this year. We renewed the passes before the big hike last year only to be surprised with another one this year.

My wife got me the Creator small cottage the other day. Went to the mini build last night and picked up the pet shop with the free hot dog stand

Anyone going to see the Lone Ranger? Reviews couldn't really be worse, and I can't believe it is 2 and a half hours long. This should lead to some awesome LEGO clearance.

I'm going to go see it because I have movie cash for it. I figured it would be on par with Pirates of the Caribean, entertaining but not the best movie of the year. Rotten Tomato's audience rating isn't as bad as the critics. Oh well, I'll buy some of the sets on clearance.

Wow. I didn't check out the reviews. That bad?

Then again, I find that I don't agree with most of the critics anyways.

I'm really just wanting to see some senseless cowboy violence, bad guys with minimal teeth and a lot of explosions with a joke here and there.

The Lone Ranger seems to fit the bill nicely.

The movie was ok, 180husher isn't going to like it though. The only thing I didn't like was that they made the movie like John Carter, I'm sure they could have done something different.

Anyone going to see the Lone Ranger? Reviews couldn't really be worse, and I can't believe it is 2 and a half hours long. This should lead to some awesome LEGO clearance.
The reviews for Man of Steal are horrid too, yet it made a half billion in two weeks.

Superman is the lamest super hero around.  He is an unstoppable god, and looks stupid with his suit.  At least Thor looks cool.

And The Lone Gunman is bombing!  Only 9.5 million it's opening day.

Yay for clearance!  :lol:

(And the fact the movie simply looks horrible, tons of fake looking CGI.

bread's done
Back