LEGO Deals 3

At TRU the big castle and the set with the dragon didn't have markdowns tagged when I was there yesterday. I didn't scan them though. Didnt need more temptations.

I stopped by TRU last night to pick up an online order and decided to browse the LEGO section on a whim. I didn't know about the sale and picked up the TMNT Baxter set w/ the Xmas tree poly. I didn't notice any of the Castle stuff being marked down that much. The prices online aren't near 50% either (the TMNT Baxter set is though). Is this a YMMV thing with the Castle sets?

No, most of the Castle and Lone Ranger sets  are on sale at most stores, but some didn't have signs.

AWD has 79011 for $17.22, I didn't even know Amazon had the Hobbit sets yet.

I ended up picking up the Technic tow truck at TRU, the first technic set I've ever bought.  Funny thing is, the big technic push in the early/mid 80s kept me from getting any LEGO as a kid.  There was about a 2-3 year period where I had a box of some other brand of building blocks and I REALLY wanted more, but you just couldn't find the basic tubs of bricks in stores around here, just the ugly ugly technic sets.

Went to the other, nicer, TRU in my area and it was packed with people at 11:00 am. They had every set in stock so I picked up the Technic tow truck (plus another Xmas tree poly). I've already bought my oldest son the power functions motor set for Xmas and the tow truck is ready made to work with it. Great deal! 

I just see Meow Mix stole my Alien Conquest set from AWD. :lol:  I already have it but was waiting for it to hit $20-ish.

Went back to TRU. The $13 and $20 Lone Ranger both not on sale. Small Castle set 25% off which is stupid for $1.50 more you get 109 more pieces.

Big Castle I think was $75.

Think they ran out of trees, but the woman in front of me had one, so they must be in the building somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody know how much the Technic Tow truck is on sale and if it still is on sale at the store because on the TRU website, it is not. Thanks!

LEGO Creator Fierce Flyer (a big eagle) and Creator Super Car on sale for $8 each at TRU b&m today only. Sorry for no links, I'm on the phone :)

And Amazon is price matching the $75 Kings Castle.

That's beyond awesome but given the complexity and size I don't ever see Lego making it cost effective for a reasonable price.

That Wayne Manor is bad ass.  It kinda fits in with the Modular series too.  I have no interest in Batman LEGO, but I'd put that on my shopping list.

Ok so maybe someone on here can help - I'm looking to buy or trade for a

LEGO Castle King's Siege (7094)

Boys and I love the Castle series and this is on our most wanted...I know it discontinued but thought someone might have an extra etc

I have games and other legos willing to trade....pm me

Or if anyone has any info as to where I might be able to get one...[attachment=1048:kings_castle_siege_7094_instructions_4515377_page_0.jpg]

That set resells for $300-$400. Unless you randomly get it at a tag sale or Craiglist you are better off buying the current one.

It's a great Castle set. So glad I got one for half off when it was new.

That set resells for $300-$400. Unless you randomly get it at a tag sale or Craiglist you are better off buying the current one.

Brand new, but used ones are around $130 or so. I have two sets, but I don't know if I want to part with one. I wanted to make a super castle set :)

edit: I can't believe I sold 3 of those for $60 a few years ago :lol:

Yeah, you are probably better off getting the new castle plus the dragon mountain set, instead of trying to get that. The big castle is currently $75 on amazon, and the dragon mountain has been around $35 at a few places recently. Probably a lot more bang for you lego dollar than paying for an out of print set.

Brand new, but used ones are around $130 or so. I have two sets, but I don't know if I want to part with one. I wanted to make a super castle set :)

edit: I can't believe I sold 3 of those for $60 a few years ago :lol:

It's weird. I got it for $50 at Walmart before it's Black Friday sale and some woman behind me is like "Some kid will be happy on Christmas" and i went "yeah me", she was dumbfounded. :lol:

But for the longest while it stayed cheap in secondary markets, and why not, we would get a new one every few years. It be like having a $400 police station. I think what happened was the newer Castle sets have just as many pieces, but the walls are 1 brick shorter and people like a taller wall.

Honestly, the castle's wall is great, but the towers in the back are really lacking and need to be redone. The new castle has a gate that actually raises up, and the back tower makes sense. Plus $75 and $33 you get a lot more pieces, like 1300, same basic dragon, more mini figures. I think it's the way to go. Also we most likely will get some more of the same mini figures in next year's summer Castle sets (Guessing the theme will continue).

It's weird. I got it for $50 at Walmart before it's Black Friday sale and some woman behind me is like "Some kid will be happy on Christmas" and i went "yeah me", she was dumbfounded. :lol:

But for the longest while it stayed cheap in secondary markets, and why not, we would get a new one every few years. It be like having a $400 police station. I think what happened was the newer Castle sets have just as many pieces, but the walls are 1 brick shorter and people like a taller wall.
I've gotten that too, but they think it's for my 2 year old since I bring him along.

It is interesting, I mean the only real unique part in there is the dragon. And this one doesn't have a proper gate house, which is what I remember reading a lot of AFOLs complaining about.

These are the sets that got me into collecting Lego. I remember my wife and I were so excited when we found them at Walmart. Of course now she tells me I can't buy any more :lol:

I don't get it either.  As a kid I wanted a LEGO train, space ship and castle.  So when I got older, and found some big sets for half off, I bought them.  It's a nice castle and all, but just buy the newest one.  I only got it because it was so cheap, and I loved the then "new" dragon and the fantasy part of it.

I briefly dated a guy and we even went to the first LEGO Kids Fest together.  He recently got married and they went again and they have a LEGO section in their place.  

My point, find a new wife.  :lol:

But for the longest while it stayed cheap in secondary markets, and why not, we would get a new one every few years. It be like having a $400 police station.
This is so true. I have way too many big castle sets. I have 6080, 6086, 7094, 7946, and 70404. The first 2 are from when I was a kid (and 6086 is a little different at least) and 70404 was a 10.99 Walmart purchase, but that is a lot of fairly similar sets I have, and doesn't even count things like Black Falcons Fortress which are castles, but at least a not the same, big "good guys" castle.
Edit: I guess my point is there need to be more sets like the Medieval Market or at least the older Blacksmith and Armor Shops (6040 & 6041). Filling out the castles with more than just towers and dungeons would be nice.

Good to see that TRU is back to it's bullshit self.  None of those sets and that they had trees left, just didn't know where they were.

How often do sales happen on the larger Star Wars sets like the Deathstar, ATST, etc?

Do you think they would go on sale on Black Friday?
That stuff never goes on sale, except sometimes at S@H. I wouldn't hold my breath though. Usually the best time to get something like that is when they are running the double points promotion at the lego store.

That stuff never goes on sale, except sometimes at S@H. I wouldn't hold my breath though. Usually the best time to get something like that is when they are running the double points promotion at the lego store.
Not true. They went on sale last year. That's when I picked up the Super Star Destroyer and others here picked up the Death Star. The B-Wing was also half-price for a day.

I got my SSD from Amazon, as well as the Imperial Shuttle. Both were very good prices. Some people here bought the SSD and the Death Star using a TRU promotion. There were several opportunities for these last year, from now until about the first couple weeks of December if memory serves. Amazon, Target, TRU -- there were good deals at each of them, and they seemed to compete with them.

The point is it does happen. You just have to be ready. You also have to decide what price you want to buy at, because you never know what the lowest price will be. I think I missed the best Imperial Shuttle deal by $20, but in the grand scheme of things, no biggie.

It's also the reason I've been kind of hesitant at the Lego store recently. Even a 20-25% sale is better than any points promotion, so I have every reason to wait out the holidays and see if I score something good.

LEGO introduced a new rule that companies can no longer discount big exclusive LEGO sets.  Since then there hasn't been a single big set on sale.  If they do LEGO will not sell them new sets in the future.

However TRU has already figured out ways around that, they don't discount the set, they just give you a free set to go with it.

I missed the Target sale for the SSD, I was livid! I can't remember how much it sold for, I think it was somewhere around $250-$275. I did pick a Death Star for $250 last year after it had been returned to Target! :bow:

Today, and today only, if you are a LEGO VIP you get triple points and the free Christmas truck over $99.

Non-VIPs have to wait until Friday to get the truck.

LEGO VIPs also get free shipping on any purchase so if nothing else, you can get that pick-a-brick you’ve been wanting.

free shipping with no minimum purchase BUT forget what i said about pick-a-brick — that’s it’s own deal and you can’t get the free shipping with it. boo.

Yeah the site has crashed.   :lol:

Nice job planning LEGO.   :lol:

I think it was everyone in CA waking up and going "OMGz!!!11!!1!  LEGO has free shipping!!!!!".  :)

Used $20 in VIP points to order the Modular Pet Shop (and essentially get another $20 in points) and get the freebie Winter truck. This will be my third modular.  I'm still playing catch up, trying to get them in order of release so I don't miss out on one.  I'd much rather get the Cinema or new Parisian, but I'll get there eventually.

I broke out the Winter Village carousel to make with the kids this week.  I'm not a fan of all the tiny little buildings used to pad out the sets, I'd much rather have those pieces go into a larger core build (like last year's WV House).  That being said, the carousel is a damn nice and very fun build.  There are some cool techniques typically seen in the modular sets, which was a nice surprise.  If they're sticking with the $100 WV sets, I hope they go back to one big build next year.

bread's done
Back