LEGO Deals 3

Definitely overpriced. That $20 set looks like a $10-12 set from just a couple years ago.
Not really, but ok.

Edit:

Piece count wise, it's very slightly bit more expensive, but smack in the middle of the zone. The closest thing to compare this to is the landspeeder, which had 25% less pieces, 3 more minifigures, and was $5 more. It's definitely still roughly the same value, and that was a 2010 set.

At most, -at most-, it could use a third minifigure to balance out the value.

But no, it's about double the piece count of $10-12 sets from a couple years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I didn't mean it literally looks like one of those sets, but 2 minifig s and a little build? Seems like $12.99 to me. That was what the Star Wars battle packs cost not long ago, and those had a little build and 4 figs. Those 9.99 Friends from a couple years ago were more interesting. Towards the end of Kingdoms (3-4 years ago?) there was the blacksmith shop with 2 figures for 9.99.
And going on to the bigger sets the Falcon for $150? Wasn't there just one for $120? And an $80 X-Wing? Those were $50 not long ago. I get there is inflation but LEGO is getting ridiculous with this stuff.

Edit: I get the piece count is ~200 pieces, it just doesn't look it. It seems like a rather insubstantial 200 piece build, perhaps with a bunch of little piece to bulk to the piece count.

lol... I should have picked up the Millenium Falcon when I saw at Target tagged at $129... If they weren't overcharging already for these sets I would say ok but they are insane!!!!! It's only $10 more than it's last iteration but wtf... in one year?!?!

I guess I didn't mean it literally looks like one of those sets, but 2 minifig s and a little build? Seems like $12.99 to me. That was what the Star Wars battle packs cost not long ago, and those had a little build and 4 figs. Those 9.99 Friends from a couple years ago were more interesting. Towards the end of Kingdoms (3-4 years ago?) there was the blacksmith shop with 2 figures for 9.99.
And going on to the bigger sets the Falcon for $150? Wasn't there just one for $120? And an $80 X-Wing? Those were $50 not long ago. I get there is inflation but LEGO is getting ridiculous with this stuff.
The 2012 X-Wing was $60, and had 157 less pieces. Should it have been $70 instead? Probably.

The 2012 2011 Millennium Falcon was $140, with 82 less pieces. I think accounting for inflation, it's priced the same.

A lot of the new vehicles look smaller because they're like solid cuboids, instead of flat starfighters. Volume and weight wise, they should be about the same.

That's more of the fault with the new vehicle designs, which isn't Lego's fault.

Edit: Logically speaking, I think they're priced similarly to Star Wars sets in the last 5-6 years. They're not any more inflated than before, and certainly not to the level of Jurassic World sets.

I guss it is just me falling further and further away from LEGO. I used to buy 20+ sets a year getting those at least 30% off, and most around 50%. Now prices are up, sales are less frequent and LEGOs are often excluded from general store coupons. Over the last year I think I've gotten 3 or 4 sets. It just gets harder and harder to justify buying random sets here and there.

Now that I've analyzed it...

Yea, I think the sets mostly look boring and are way expensive for what they are, but I'm not big into Star Wars any ways. The only two I actually like are the $40 snowspeeder and the black x-wing, but they're both big sticker shocks for something that -looks- small, even if it isn't really.

In this case though, I think the Star Wars franchise is to blame for the boring new vehicles.

Meh.  I'll wait for the inevitable clearances.  I scored plenty of those previous, far better looking, (at least in my opinion) original trilogy Millennium Falcons and definitely with a far better minifigure set, for $38.88 or even less at Target.  Gave all but one away as gifts or sold for way under value ($50 each) to friends for their kids, which was damn satisfying. 

Lego will be making Millennium Falcon sets in perpetuity for as long as they have the SW license, sure some trivial feature(s) will change from set to set but no way would I bother paying any sort of premium for the regular, non-exclusive/non-UCS ones particularly the Falcon.  The UCS one, ok maybe I'd pay half of MSRP for that one, but the rest of these, 70% off or even better discount is "not bad" in my book.

I think part of the problem is they are just horrible ship designs to begin with, and especially pale in comparison to the Falcon and X-wing.  

The new Falcon is way overpriced.  Doesn't look any different than the one I have on my shelf that was far less.

I think part of the problem is they are just horrible ship designs to begin with, and especially pale in comparison to the Falcon and X-wing.

The new Falcon is way overpriced. Doesn't look any different than the one I have on my shelf that was far less.
The new one is almost 100 pieces more, it does look a bit bigger, you can tell by looking at the two that it has a lot more detail and more play design on the inside.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickset/20489535404/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tormentalous/6387761779/

Jeez, these things are hell of expensive. When I saw the leaked pics, I figured I'd get that troop carrier for the figs, but NAHHH. Not at this price. Daisy's speeder bike is probably the only thing I'll buy before a discount.

Why is everyone saying the new Falcon is overpriced? The previous one was literally $10 less, with 100 less pieces. If you got it for cheaper, you got it on sale/clearance/whatever. Don't compare that price to MSRP of the new set.

I get this is probably the wrong place for this, but WTF with the action figures currently available for the Force Awakens? I want old man Han, and no other figure. But no Luke or Leia either? Who wants a bunch of figures for characters we have never seen or know what role they play? LEGO Han seems like the only way to get old man Han currently, which sucks. 

I get this is probably the wrong place for this, but WTF with the action figures currently available for the Force Awakens? I want old man Han, and no other figure. But no Luke or Leia either? Who wants a bunch of figures for characters we have never seen or know what role they play? LEGO Han seems like the only way to get old man Han currently, which sucks.
Disney is being very selective with what they reveal, you'll notice almost all the merchandise is stuff that's been shown so far in the trailers and isn't really spoiling anything beyond what we know. Their marketing here is genius and you have to admire them for it. Plus, this is the new generation of characters, they're trying to hype them up and not let this movie fly on the curtails of the original cast, which is working IMO. Episode one did the same thing with their merchandise, but of course we know what happened there. That does worry me a little, but I have to have some faith. I doubt I'll be picking anything up right now, MAYBE a BB 8 Pop, but I'm sure we'll be seeing more merchandise closer to release. We're still three months away.

Episode 1 had Obi-Wan, R2, and C3PO, not to mention Liam Neeson, plus while Anal in was a kid everyone knew he was Vader. The Force Awakens toys have almost no such aces. Chewbacca is the only known character they are making a figure of, and that seems crazy. We know Han is in the movie, make the damn figure.

Yeah we all know all the old characters are back. It's very silly. But this place isn't just LEGO deals it's a nerd zone do the action figure talk fits. :)

And my goodwill find is complete.

I think I'll wait until that xwing and tie drop about$10 a piece. I want a captain phasma but I'm disappointed she's not actually chromed and that troop carrier she's in is an eye sore. Plus a black head piece? Are we not going to see her face in the movie or is Lego not allowed to show it yet? Hopefully the next set she's released in will fix these things.

Why is everyone saying the new Falcon is overpriced? The previous one was literally $10 less, with 100 less pieces. If you got it for cheaper, you got it on sale/clearance/whatever. Don't compare that price to MSRP of the new set.
This is CAG, baby! Nobody pays MSRP, muahahahaaaa!!! (I sincerely hope)

Anybody try using the Target coupon with the new sets?  Didn't have the X-Wing or Tie at my store...don't know if they sold out or just haven't put them out yet.

Coupon excludes Lego, it won't automatically apply, but if you get someone who doesn't read the coupon and doesn't care they may apply it manually. But I'm sure they've all been coached about the coupons and the exclusions.

Picked up a whole set of series 14 yesterday.

Got an extra of a couple, not sure what we're doing with them yet.

- Tiger woman

- Vampire lady

- Spectre

- Witch

Regret not picking up another zombie businessman guy, but eh.

No Lego Star Wars for me today but did finish series 14 off by grabbing the gargoyle, trick or treater, wacky witch and squarefoot.​

Have an extra fly monster and zombie pirate if anyone wants to buy (at cost) or trade.

I did hit a lot of stores today to see what is out there. I may grab Rey's speeder if it goes on sale and will eventually get the Falcon (don't have one yet)

Hasbro stuff - I did see a decent amount of black series but held off for now. Will probably get on sale or wait until seeing the movie to decide what I really want. I know this is getting of subject even more but my big Force Friday purchase today was Sphero BB-8. He's pretty damn cool!

Picked up the new Falcon and X-Wing sets at Meijer today. On the free mperks program they have a coupon for 9/4 & 9/5 for 10% off general merchandise that I had clipped. It automatically popped up to ask if I wanted it applied to my order when I was buying the sets at self checkout. So yeah, nice way to get the sets for 10% off if you have a Meijer near you.

Disney is being very selective with what they reveal, you'll notice almost all the merchandise is stuff that's been shown so far in the trailers and isn't really spoiling anything beyond what we know. Their marketing here is genius and you have to admire them for it. Plus, this is the new generation of characters, they're trying to hype them up and not let this movie fly on the curtails of the original cast, which is working IMO. Episode one did the same thing with their merchandise, but of course we know what happened there. That does worry me a little, but I have to have some faith. I doubt I'll be picking anything up right now, MAYBE a BB 8 Pop, but I'm sure we'll be seeing more merchandise closer to release. We're still three months away.
When Ep 1 figures released you could get almost all the new characters from day one and that included characters that were reappearing. The Force Awakens line is weird because for some reason instead of only Force Awakens figures, we've got Darth Vader again, Episode III Obi-Wan again, ROTJ Luke again, Boba Fett again, and so on. The Phantom Menace series didn't have figures pulled from other movies in the place of new ones.

When Ep 1 figures released you could get almost all the new characters from day one and that included characters that were reappearing. The Force Awakens line is weird because for some reason instead of only Force Awakens figures, we've got Darth Vader again, Episode III Obi-Wan again, ROTJ Luke again, Boba Fett again, and so on. The Phantom Menace series didn't have figures pulled from other movies in the place of new ones.
Yep, sorry, thought I mentioned that. I brought that point up on FB the other day when talking to a friend. I remember because I got bitten by the Episode I craze and went a little stupid. But after that I didn't get much, skipped episode 2, a couple figs for episode 3. I get a couple here and there, but so far nothing for VII. Although Kmart of all places is getting an exclusive Kylo Ren Black Series that is really temping, so may get that. I really think the Episode 1 craze was worse than this Force Friday, I really think this just seems worse because of the existence of social media.
On topic, I honestly will probably skip the new sets unless I can get a good deal. Only ones that interest me are Rens speeder and the XD Wing. Apparently they had the designer of the Lego Kylo Ren shuttle on the unboxing stream, and he said they were flown out to see all the models but we're not allowed to take any pictures to reference, they had to design everything from sketches,which may explain the rough designs on a one couple of the sets.

Anybody try using the Target coupon with the new sets? Didn't have the X-Wing or Tie at my store...don't know if they sold out or just haven't put them out yet.

Coupon excludes Lego, it won't automatically apply, but if you get someone who doesn't read the coupon and doesn't care they may apply it manually. But I'm sure they've all been coached about the coupons and the exclusions.
FYI: TRU will honor the Target coupon if you show it to them when you check out. In case you want to try to get the Lego sets at TRU.

I spent the weekend sorting through my huge bag of parts I got from a Goodwill haul and took the opportunity to throw together some bleacher style stands, using the minifigure stands themselves, for series 14 figures.
The bleachers themselves have candles, pumpkins and Halloween flair.
I made a few alterations to the figures as well. The witches cat is standing on a black 1x2 plate so she will stay in place. I gave squarefoot's camera a lens and I gave the trick r treater a flashlight and chocolate bar.

[/URL

[URL=http://s16.photobucket.com/user/JobsEye/media/58E1201E-99B9-40C2-A82B-FFACC5371CC4_zps51ydljvi.jpg.html][/URL

[URL=http://s16.photobucket.com/user/JobsEye/media/3D33290A-4E14-4A10-A784-7BCC94477ABE_zpsamfjouuj.jpg.html]

Spiderman vs. Electro small set DPCI# 204-00-1338 $3.95 at 7/100 nearby stores.

new 'Target MSRP' appears to be $13.19 and $13.89...I know they were cheaper previously because I got them at 70% off previously, I think $2.98 and/or $3.58...but I'm not going to complain.

Well, I got a TRU catalog in the mail that had a 15% off coupon for any regular priced item, and doesn't exclude Legos. So that's like a 5% off MSRP savings for SW sets...

Any discounts on current lego sets?

I am interested in SW and The Simpsons sets.
It depends on what sets you are looking for. None of the new SW sets are on sale yet, that will probably happen closer to the movie's release.

The best deal you are likely to get on The Simpsons sets are either waiting for double VIP points at the Lego store, which is scheduled for early October, or ordering The Simpsons sets through Target which will save you 5% plus free shipping if you have a Red Card

Well, I got a TRU catalog in the mail that had a 15% off coupon for any regular priced item, and doesn't exclude Legos. So that's like a 5% off MSRP savings for SW sets...
Yeah I got a 15% off a couple weeks back and then unexpectedly a 20% off in the mail today. It's hit and miss as far as the TRU tax being applied immediately on new sets.

Bought a Lego Architecture - White House for $28 off Amazon. Complete with box, manual and 100% pieces. First lego item, I've bought in roughly 6 years. 

I built my Wall-E and Scooby Doo mystery machine.  I saw Wall-E in the Amazon Warehouse for $49.  I got Scooby Doo for $25 in the Warehouse (and I had a $5 coupon).  The box was a little beat up, not too bad.  

I need to find some deals on the Star Wars Bionicle type guys. Got General Grievous for my son (at Meijer....they have a perk, spend $40 in Toys, get $5 coupon for future purchase).  The General Grievous was much larger than I expected....very cool.

bread's done
Back