LEGO Deals 3

got the R3-M2 at TRU last night.

Went to the Lego store with the intent of getting a Scarif trooper poly but couldn't find any LSW I wanted. Any suggestions guys?

I looked at the UCS Falcon on display, pretty sweet

got the R3-M2 at TRU last night.

Went to the Lego store with the intent of getting a Scarif trooper poly but couldn't find any LSW I wanted. Any suggestions guys?

I looked at the UCS Falcon on display, pretty sweet
The cheapest combination I could find was Yoda's Jedi Starfighter & The Resistance Transport Pod, the Tie Fighter and the Resistance Bomber are cool but pricey. I wouldn't get it, but if you like it maybe the Speeder Bike.

I went to the Lego Store to get a BB8 but left with a snowspeeder since bb8 was sold out.

Found the First Order Stormtrooper constraction set at Target for $13.  Used a $10 gift card from buying school supplies.  $5 Score!  Get home to put it in the stash, and I already had one.  Damnit!   :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the Catwoman Catcycle and Batgirl Batjet sets for $5 each at WM and wife found a Heartlake Hospital for 70% off at Target!

Anyone here interested in 1 pound of Tente bricks?  I've been putting them aside from lots I pick up in yard sales.  Here's a picture.  You can have them for the shipping cost.  Total weight with box is 1 lb, 4 oz and shipping from MA.  Send me a PM if interested.

36824127676_4f2717ea7f_c.jpg

Anyone here interested in 1 pound of Tente bricks? I've been putting them aside from lots I pick up in yard sales. Here's a picture. You can have them for the shipping cost. Total weight with box is 1 lb, 4 oz and shipping from MA. Send me a PM if interested.

36824127676_4f2717ea7f_c.jpg
Oh man, I remember those. I would definitely take them. PM sent

Also starting today you get a free mini NinjaGo sand green dragon polybag with $35+ and every purchase gets you one of those travel packs with a minifigure and some basic parts.

Has anyone read that sales and profits are down 5%ish in the first half for LEGO? So they are firing 8% of the workforce. This is amazing to me because if you think it's only a small issue and not a sign of things to come, you would keep the workforce to bring back the down digit growth.

The comments on Brickset are amazing and don't seem to understand how LEGO works at all (they aren't a stock company for one) but then others Ive read on Facebook are actually defending LEGO. This isn't just one issue, like high prices, it's many things that LEGO needs to rebound from. They almost when bankrupt 15 years ag0 and then grow into the biggest toy company in the world. Then got greedy and wanted more and more. I think even more than the price the fact there are 850 sets a year is undoable. But I'm not any expert either.

https://brickset.com/article/30409/lego-group-s-profits-take-a-plunge#comments

I was thinking about this with Lego Batman Movie and the Ninjago movie. Lego's output is so ridiculous that the second wave of Batman Movie product saw clearance at some Walmart within a month of release. And literally another big push line released in the same window. It's nuts.

The problem is market saturation. As you mentioned, they keep pushing product line after product line.

Not to mention that the storage issue. Not many people can even find the room for 2-3 large sets a year for their kids. I have a big house and my kid's rooms are big. But there is only so much shelf space you can possibly put in a room.

I just started collecting the Lego SW and a few Ninjago sets. But I have to be more selective since I also collect other things like Transformers. I can't keep buying Ikea shelves and Detolfs.

I don't understand the workforce reduction at all
- Lego is still super profitable.

But I agree that there are way too many sets. It's crazy. Some sets just don't have any business existing relative to all the other Lego product available.

I don't understand the workforce reduction at all
- Lego is still super profitable.

But I agree that there are way too many sets. It's crazy. Some sets just don't have any business existing relative to all the other Lego product available.
Lego is like every other company on the planet. They aren't your friends like most AFOLs think, they are in the business to make money and be greedy. The rather massive layoffs is just because of greed. I understand saying there will be a few layoffs during a restructuring, but to just announce 8% of the workforce will be fired is insane.

They need to pay for that new CEO somehow, I guess laying off 1400 workers is a start.
Maybe, or maybe there is a new CEO because of the cuts and they just didn't want to announce it.

However most of the time the cuts do come BEFORE the CEO is replaced so the new one doesn't look like a jerk.

They need to pay for that new CEO somehow, I guess laying off 1400 workers is a start.
His job is to make more money with 10% less resources. When Lego went from one aisle to two over the last 10 years they were clearly overextending since they could not cut supply chain costs in half to offset risk. All their big non toy successes were through licensing partners (Lego games, Lego movie, etc.) and their outsourced entertainment efforts like Legoland and Lego discovery center have only done so well.

The big question is what gets cut? I think they'll pull back on girl stuff, elves, nexo, and juniors and dramatically limit what licensed sets they do (Angry Birds, Scooby Doo, etc.). They should also seriously consider buying Travelers Tales because those games are getting worse and without a licensing tax over their head those games would have a better budget for R&D and innovation.

Oversaturation is a problem, but so is having overpriced product.

The last year is the first time in a long time where Lego set ridiculous prices and retailers pushed back.  Many sets were MSRP for a month and then they dropped to a sale price that became the de-facto new MSRP, as it was pretty much the same everywhere.

Then there were sales on top of that

Lego does not seem to have learned anything from the past year, as the new Thor sets (among others) are ridiculously overpriced.  The only exception seems to be the Ninjago Movie sets aren't outrageous, and even they have seen discounts at retailers like Wal-Mart.

Lego would be better off making fewer, better sets that were a relative value.  Many of the new sets are, honestly, trash.  You buy them only for the minifigures.  I finally got the Takodana set (Target clearance) and that was just for the minifigures, since I really don't care about set that is a couple of boring walls (see Thor set above).

When there are too many sets, too many minifigures, and too many sets that are just flat out boring or uninspired, people will just begin passing on stuff.  Unless you're a diehard, it's impossible to catch 'em all anyway, so why knock yourself (or your wallet) out?

Yea, I think I've picked up all of Wave 1 Nexo for 50-70% off now... wouldn't have paid MSRP for any of them. Some were only so worth it at 50% even. We've started skipping more and more lines due to part count vs price vs what the set actually is. Too many dull sets with no features.

The big question is what gets cut? I think they'll pull back on girl stuff, elves, nexo, and juniors and dramatically limit what licensed sets they do (Angry Birds, Scooby Doo, etc.).
Girl stuff like what? Friends? One of their highest selling themes? DC Girls is rightfully dead. LEGO even had some on sale and TRU had most sets, including new ones for 40% off their actual price. Dimensions is dead and Nexo I think will be burned offed with one last wave probably because Cartoon Network has at least another season of it in a contract.

Angry Birds did really well too considering. I think we will get sets for the sequel. More so because LEGO might get a good deal with WB who I think made the movie. (I might be wrong on that.)

But really, this is LEGO over reacting. It's down only a little after massive and massive growth. A 5% drop after 40% growth in 5 years isn't a huge deal. But maybe they finally realized what we all say.... too many sets. Not even too many themes, just too many sets. Growing up a theme only have 5-6 sets a year, it's now about 40. Hell there were 6 of those Nexo mech sets alone. I hope they learn the correct lessons.

Yea, I think I've picked up all of Wave 1 Nexo for 50-70% off now... wouldn't have paid MSRP for any of them. Some were only so worth it at 50% even. We've started skipping more and more lines due to part count vs price vs what the set actually is. Too many dull sets with no features.
This is more the issue I think than price and overstated. Adults don't seem to mind over paying for gifts, it's just the sets suck! Wall sets for way too much money. Would I rather have the now famous $60 Hulk wall set or pretty much any mech from NinjaGo Movie. And speaking of NinjaGo, the 2018 sets look awful because they look just like all the others from the last several TV show waves. My favorite was the Sky Pirates because it was creative. Hell the theme started off by fighting Skulls then snakes. Now it's just rehash and rehash. And City next year...Arctic. We just had that!

The PotC Ghost Ship, who thought that was a good idea? If them made a regular ship and had those huge sharks the set would have sold amazingly because people like Pirates and adults love those huge sharks.

Lego has Star Wars, overpriced as hell, but why make Rathtar Escape? Who wanted that? Or the Quadship that was in the movie for .5 seconds? (I actually like it, but it's an odd ship to make.)They have all these great places and ships and they just make poor choices. Why not Cloud City! Nope, let's rehash Hoth sets instead, then add 40% price increase to a group of rehashed sets. Same with the Falcon, it's the last size as the last one, were are the extra 2,000 pieces? For a company now built on minifigures why doesn't that set have some more?

I think the first big thing they will do is be picky about licensing a little more. Maybe not WB and Disney movies as they have Super Heroes with both and Disney owns everything. But Simpsons wasn't ever needed at all for starters.

Quick check of Brickset shows just way too much...

17 Brick Heads
38 Nexo
18 NinjaGo TV
26 NinjaGo Movie

46 Friends
25 Super Heros (Then 11 more minidolls sets.)
48 City sets (!!!!)
59 Star Wars (including brick built)

The only in house developed themes...
Nexo, NinjaGo, Friends, Elves, City

That's sad. No Castle or Space which is what LEGO claims are core themes. Pirates isn't a core theme, but when it returns it will just be the same as the last two themes but more expensive. Cut the waste. I love Jurassic World / Park, but does LEGO really need to wait until a movie to make dinosaur sets? Everyone likes dinosaurs. Bring back rotating themes that didn't have shows like an underwater theme. Where is Johnny Thunder? Instead of City Jungle have Adventures return. Have him explore the arctic.

So much LEGO can learn from, I'm interested to know if they do. Last time they fired everyone and restructured they got rid of useless huge pieces made for only one set end gave us modulars and Classic and Creator themes.

I'd love to see a return to the Castle theme. Nexo Knights were a good offspin for kids though. I know my 6 year old son loves the series. But he also likes Ninjago, Batman, etc. So even if Lego started reducing their lines, it's not like he wouldn't have a huge selection still available to pick from.

I love Jurassic World / Park, but does LEGO really need to wait until a movie to make dinosaur sets?
You say that, but you probably wouldn't actually buy a dinosaur set if it wasn't for Jurassic World hype. A couple years before Jurassic World sets came out, there was a dinosaur theme that no one wanted.

People always say they want stuff, until it's available.

I doubt all the counterfeit sets help either.

I'd love to see a return to the Castle theme. Nexo Knights were a good offspin for kids though. I know my 6 year old son loves the series. But he also likes Ninjago, Batman, etc. So even if Lego started reducing their lines, it's not like he wouldn't have a huge selection still available to pick from.
The beauty of those classic themes (space, castle, pirates) was that there weren't a ton of customized pieces made to match licensed properties. You could truly make your own creations from those themes if you collected several different sets, as opposed to the licensed sets that have custom pieces and really only make one specific model. As a kid I remember combining all my castle pieces and making a huge fortress - I could do that because the pieces were generally like-colored and generic enough to provide lots of flexibility within the theme.

I'd love to see all three of those themes return. The nostalgia would be big for me.

You say that, but you probably wouldn't actually buy a dinosaur set if it wasn't for Jurassic World hype. A couple years before Jurassic World sets came out, there was a dinosaur theme that no one wanted.

People always say they want stuff, until it's available.

I doubt all the counterfeit sets help either.
I actually have a lot of Dino Attack / Dino 2012 (Europe), and people most have liked them because the Jurassic World sets were pretty much just copies of them in blue. But that's not an every year theme anyways, no one could afford the dinosaurs. I only bought one Jurassic World set because they weren't actually based on the movie. If they were the T-Rex set would cost $70 for a T-rex, a wall and one minifigure. :lol:

And Cupcake Cafe is still $13.90 on AWD every other day. I almost just bought another. I have no self control. :) So keep an eye out before I buy a fourth. Great set.

The beauty of those classic themes (space, castle, pirates) was that there weren't a ton of customized pieces made to match licensed properties. You could truly make your own creations from those themes if you collected several different sets, as opposed to the licensed sets that have custom pieces and really only make one specific model. As a kid I remember combining all my castle pieces and making a huge fortress - I could do that because the pieces were generally like-colored and generic enough to provide lots of flexibility within the theme.

I'd love to see all three of those themes return. The nostalgia would be big for me.
That's why Benny's spaceship was just so amazing to me being modeled after Cosmic Fleet Voyager and Galaxy Explorer. Plus, now they have such a ridiculous standard piece set you could get amazing sets like that still looked like it wasn't totally customized.

All I want from Lego in order is:

Pirate

City

Castle

Space

then they can have Star Wars since that seems to sell the most.

Looks halfway decent. What piece are they using for the roof flourishes? I don't recognize it from any of my sets
It's a piece that was made 12 years ago when LEGO had the 'Racer' theme called 'Tiny Turbos' of mini cars without any minifigures. It was pretty much Hot Wheels ripoff. That is really the only time I ever saw the piece.

EDIT - It's also used for all the sled pieces in Advent Calendars. (Speaking of poor sales and advent calendars the Friends one only has ONE minimal. I'm sure that will thrill children and parents.)

But here is the Brickset of the piece.

https://brickset.com/parts/design-50949

It's a piece that was made 12 years ago when LEGO had the 'Racer' theme called 'Tiny Turbos' of mini cars without any minifigures. It was pretty much Hot Wheels ripoff. That is really the only time I ever saw the piece.

EDIT - It's also used for all the sled pieces in Advent Calendars. (Speaking of poor sales and advent calendars the Friends one only has ONE minimal. I'm sure that will thrill children and parents.)

But here is the Brickset of the piece.

https://brickset.com/parts/design-50949
Thanks. It looks pretty good on some of those Tiny Turbos. I was hoping that you could use it to hold rods and minifig accessories, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Saw the new UCS Falcon in person today... god-damned enormous. Still can't believe it doesn't come with like 30 minifigs though. Someone else suggested one for every character to step inside it on screen, right? I like that idea.

Seems like area Walmarts had another clearance drop on toys. I was able to pick up the Ultimate Batmobile for $70 ( and a few super cheap Destiny Mega Bloks), doubt it was going to hit lower. Several stores in the surrounding area were listed on brickseek for the same.

Who's getting the MF? I read on tbf that there's may be an incentive to buying it early, may include some early access to something next year. I wish it had a first edition print on it again, would make it easier to purchase. I did see the ninjago city up close, really cool looking set, its pretty massive. The pictures don't do it any justice, for the price it's really not bad.

Who's getting the MF? I read on tbf that there's may be an incentive to buying it early, may include some early access to something next year.
So spending $800 now might give me access to spend more money next year? LEGO is the best!

bread's done
Back