LEGO Deals 3

Finished the Old Fishing Store with my daughter this week. Wow, what a phenomenal set. It might be our favorite. I thought the price was a bit steep, but man this set packs a ton of little details in there. The sheer number of special/unique pieces is incredible. Highly recommended.
I still need to get this one, I've almost picked it up several times already...

We're getting a 6000+ piece Hogwarts UCS. Plus, some nice revamped HP sets.  

No pics yet, but it's coming soon...

Really happy to hear that Flatiron will be the second store (Leicester Square was the first) to feature the mosaic maker!

This will be a store exclusive program and the only one for the US.

No signs of Pirates, Castle or Classic Space.... shame. 

What is a mosaic maker?  You put a picture in and it spits out a pattern for small Lego tiles?

Edit:  I found a video on youtube.  Neat.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few other sets I have found at Barnes and Noble at $2:

Friends Space Ride
75111 Darth Vader
Wonder Woman mighty micro with doomsday
Seasonal creepy vampire set

The website check availability is working again to tell you I store price but these prices should be universal, only question is if they are in stock at the store you check.

Awesome find today.

Went to a nearby Walmart on the off chance they had three cent games (they didn’t). On the riser above the Lego section was one of those 900 piece big boxes that I believe was for Black Friday? Price checked it and found out it was $5!

Just got an email that the clearance prices at TRU are 50% off which means LEGO is probably 30% off. Then a little while ago I saw a report that TRU may be declaring bankruptcy on Monday which may lead to them closing all their stores.

Just got an email that the clearance prices at TRU are 50% off which means LEGO is probably 30% off. Then a little while ago I saw a report that TRU may be declaring bankruptcy on Monday which may lead to them closing all their stores.
Around here, Legos aren't included in the discounts.

eBay has 20% off until 1pm Eastern. This includes exclusives from Target and TRU, like the big NinjaGo ship and the modulars.

NinjaGo ship be $128
GB HQ would be $280

Minimum $25 needed for the discount. Max discount is $100.

Code...

pspring20

I fudged that code, I woke up early for the LRG release and bought a few items misreading the coupon. Thanks lack of sleep!!!
What did you do? Miss-type the code?

I wish I didn't know about the code. I added up everything I wanted, the NinjaGo Boat, the amusement park sets, couple modulars, GB HQ, NinjaGo Temple, Batshuttle.... no way could I afford it. (About $1400 aka 6 months rent)

I'm going to need to cut back on 'junk' sets that I bought because they are super cheap (like the Nexo stuff), or all the $5 eBay lots I buy that have REALLY started to add up.

I make fun of TRU a lot, and they deserve it, but it will beside next month when they are gone because they are one of the only places that discounts exclusive sets. Like the big Batman Asylum set, without TRU we would still wouldn't have gotten 20% off. These eBay codes and Target eBay store might be the last way we get cheap exclusives.

I ended up getting an Xbox One X w/ extra controller for $400 with the ebay coupon. Hadn't planned on it but it was too good of a deal to pass up and I just got a 4K TV last month.

Fry's has the LBM Batwing on sale for $69.99

The INFINITY WAR sets are all over Target now, so I'm kinda trying to avert my eyes. I did buy a Teen Groot keychain, though, in hopes of de-chaining him. Is the best method to head the metal post up with a soldering iron? I read that one somewhere.

The Star Wars TLJ Brickheadz 2-pack is on clearance at some Targets. Keeping my eye on those for the appropriate level of cheapness.

I struck out on the $2 Easter set at my closest B&N a few days ago. There was another guy there scoping for one, too. We both went away empty-handed.

The INFINITY WAR sets are all over Target now, so I'm kinda trying to avert my eyes. I did buy a Teen Groot keychain, though, in hopes of de-chaining him. Is the best method to head the metal post up with a soldering iron? I read that one somewhere.
I doubt it. It could damage your soldering iron too. I would assume a dremel would be the best bet.

Note: I haven't ever tried any method because I don't like to modify things that aren't meant to be modified. But I have experience melting stuff with soldering irons.

The Star Wars TLJ Brickheadz 2-pack is on clearance at some Targets. Keeping my eye on those for the appropriate level of cheapness.

I struck out on the $2 Easter set at my closest B&N a few days ago. There was another guy there scoping for one, too. We both went away empty-handed.
Yeah, I did that a while back with a keychain and it worked well. I removed the chain and left the screw in. Then put the tip of the soldering iron on the eyelet of the screw and tug on it until it slides out.

Here's another method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI1gme3TLk0

Actually really like the arctic fossil theme they have going here. Have yet to see a new Jurassic World I’d care to own. They look so mundane.

Actually really like the arctic fossil theme they have going here. Have yet to see a new Jurassic World I’d care to own. They look so mundane.
Don't get me wrong, the Arctic sets are some of the best designs this year (Not that that says anything.) but the vehicles are very odd. LEGO normally makes things that look like they would be real, none of those Arctic sets looks realistic at all. It is nice to see they are looking for frozen animals instead of crystals or gold.

I made a small Bricks and Pieces order last night. Bought a few of the statues from the $130 Nexo castle, a few of Lester's torso (Exclusive to a London LEGO Store that cost 6 pounds!) and several of the cool tree minifigure costume that's in the mountain police station.

EDIT- LEGO on Facebook just revealed a Harry Potter prequel Dark Wizard Grindelwald in a Thestral-drawn carriage set.

Oddly enough some of the arctic vehicles look like they are based on forestry equipment. There’s a John Deere showroom not far from here with that same quad legged crane/claw used to pluck trees out of swampland.

So you get a free chicken suit guy if you spend $20 at Target.com IF YOU USE YOUR RED CARD. They have pretty much all the sets for 20% off (aka the new normal) so if you bought the Black Panther sets for 20% off a few weeks ago, go return them and rebuy them with your RED CARD.

You need a Red Card for the deal in case there is any confusion.

REDcard free gift with a $20 LEGO purchase
Free LEGO Chicken Man with Hut Minifigure with a $20 or more purchase of select LEGO items online when you use your debit or credit REDcard as payment type. The free item discount will apply only if the $20 purchase amount is tendered to your REDcard. Free item quantities limited while supplies last. Not valid on previous orders. If the free gift item is in stock, the item will automatically be added to the order. If the free item is no longer in stock, it will not be listed in your order. Free item may ship separately. Free item will ship when order is completed. If a qualifying item in your order is returned, your refund value will be reduced by the prorated amount of the free item. Excludes LEGO Hard to Find and LEGO DUPLO items. Excludes clearance-priced items. Offer available online only. Offer expires 3/24/2018 at 11:59pm PT.

The closing San Diego TRU will be selling the Caterham Seven 620R for $24.00 this Thursday 3/15.  This is the only Lego set with this heavy of a discount.  I don't know if other CA/west coast closing stores are also going to sell at this price or not.  Worth a call if you're near a closing TRU and interested for the price.

Stephen Hawking and TRRU died the same day?!?! :( 

And the Tron set has been revealed. mp_legoleaks on instagram to see it. Looks like a bad Ultra Agent set, but you are least get two of them. 

It’s weird to see two things I was interested in die in the same day.

So a follow up story. A week ago I posted a link to a site with a couple decent Lego deals. That was Thursday and by Tuesday I still didn’t have a shipping update. I click the sellers email on PayPal and my message is bounced back when sent. On a phone at least clicking “contact us” on the site just scrolls you to the top of the page. This is red flag material so I planned to contact PayPal and open a dispute. Today a Fed Ex package is at my door with two mint lego sets. One more weird thing, there’s a invoice from Toys R Us. I don’t quite get if this is a liquidation firm or what exactly.

I bought a set on Ebay once and ended up getting two shipped directly from Lego.com purchased by two different people in the US for full retail price which was $30 more than I paid?!?!

Turns out, the SOB was using stolen credit cards to buy Lego sets from Lego.com and having them shipped to people who bought them from him on Ebay so he could pocket the cash.

I was amused by this paragraph from a cnn money article about why TRU is closing

When Toys "R" Us filed for bankruptcy in September 2017, it disclosed it had about $5 billion in debt and was spending about $400 million a year just to service that debt.

That burden crowded out critical strategic priorities, like making its stores a nice place to shop and paying employees.

I was amused by this paragraph from a cnn money article about why TRU is closing

When Toys "R" Us filed for bankruptcy in September 2017, it disclosed it had about $5 billion in debt and was spending about $400 million a year just to service that debt.

That burden crowded out critical strategic priorities, like making its stores a nice place to shop and paying employees.
This is where luck, data, and brutal capitalism came into play. Some other big box stores like BB transformed to keep less inventory and stock empty shelves with low cost high margin junk (I mean, collectibles) while at the same time getting conservative with inventory management. It only took two years or so of loans at the magnitude they reported to but them into a death spiral years ago.

TRU just ran up the debt because they thought having lots of low cost high margin junk couldn't fail as it was a cornerstone of their business. By the time they probably realized that model was dead they were too poor to retool their business, let alone modernize it against competition like Target that was making big investments in labor and customer experience (even though it's still retail and thus way, way, behind).

Didn't help that everyone has portable internet access and can easily tell they mark up their prices above MSRP.

Edit: I also NEVER understood their Lego pricing model. Charge MSRP during early release, then RAISE it 20% when everyone else has it for MSRP.

two mint lego sets. One more weird thing, there’s a invoice from Toys R Us. I don’t quite get if this is a liquidation firm or what exactly.
If the sets were mint they aren't from TRU. ;)

Didn't help that everyone has portable internet access and can easily tell they mark up their prices above MSRP.

Edit: I also NEVER understood their Lego pricing model. Charge MSRP during early release, then RAISE it 20% when everyone else has it for MSRP.
More so when Target, Walmart, Amazon all have the new sets for 20% off. So TRU gets the sets first, charges MSRP and then when all the other big stores get them, and have them for 20% off, TRU raises the price by 20%+ over MSRP. Yet when I worked there you wouldn't believe how people didn't care. It's amazing. I now only buy sets when they are 37% or more. Cheapass AFOL.

But there is only one real article that explains what happened to TRU, corrupt capitalism. Some firm that bought TRU in 2005 drove the debt up so they can make it go private and use it for tax breaks.

But really, I blame progressives. If we just let Trump and his corporate democrat friends get rid of the minimum wage TRU would still be in business!

But there is only one real article that explains what happened to TRU, corrupt capitalism. Some firm that bought TRU in 2005 drove the debt up so they can make it go private and use it for tax breaks.
Yea, it's Bane's SOP.

70914_Bane.jpeg

Any of you guys on discord?  Cheapy just started a CAG discord: https://twitter.com/CheapyD/status/974735751480045569

But it got me thinking, do we want to start a Lego discord?  Would be better than this I think to set up trades, do new news, etc.  I think we tried it a long time ago when groups were introduced here, but that died pretty quickly.

So Best Buy is now selling Lego sets? Coupled with GCU certificates and discounts on BB gift cards that crop up this could be interesting.

bread's done
Back