LEGO Deals 3

So you are supposed to get a free Groot Jr. Keychain from Target when you spend $14.99 on Marvel LEGO, however I can't get it to add to the cart. So I don't know if they already ran out or if it's just not working yet.

My local TRU didn't have anything on clearance yet.  It was supposed to be one of the ones that stayed open, so the worker said the liquidation rep was coming Tuesday to figure everything out.

My local TRU didn't have anything on clearance yet. It was supposed to be one of the ones that stayed open, so the worker said the liquidation rep was coming Tuesday to figure everything out.
Same with my store. My 8 year old really wanted to stop by to get some Pokemon cards. Turns out those are vendor owned and have already been removed from TRU. Not sure what else is already pulled from inventory.

There was one TRU store closing in MD when they announced the closing stores in September. I drove about an hour each way to check it out and get an idea about what may happen with all the stores near me when they start. It was an absolute madhouse. ALL Lego was 40% off, but must have started earlier that day or maybe a few days before because they only sets left were Chima, Nexo Knight, Star Wars buildable figures, DC Superhero Girls and Angry Birds besides a few stragglers. All other toys were at least 30% off with most being 40% off. Interested to see what they do with the remaining stores. As for the stragglers, I was able to get a few Juniors sets, a few Duplo sets and a technic set combining the 40% off and a 21% off TRU gc from cardpool.

Unrelated to TRU, but check your Kmarts if you have one near. I found a bunch of sets on clearance at the one near that closing TRU. Some of the highlights include $3 Elves Fire Dragon, $3 Elves Water Dragon, $3 Ariel Carriage Juniors set and $3 Elves Naida Sailboat. Also found Belle's Castle, Elves Sophie Jones and the whole Friends Ski Theme to be pretty close to 50% off. Combined with freecash points and points back and everything came out to be about 60% off except for the $3 sets which were 80-90% off.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a google voice recognition device (I used google assistant and google home), you can say "hey google spring into target" and get $15 of google express target. There is a $35 minimum for free shipping and you can't use your red card but still some good deals. Works with multiple google accounts. Used one order to get the Battle for Asgard set for $25 (50% off basically) after tax and the promo and another order to get my daughter the elves turtle set and the creator poolside holiday for $25 after tax and promo code.

Any of you guys on discord? Cheapy just started a CAG discord: https://twitter.com/CheapyD/status/974735751480045569

But it got me thinking, do we want to start a Lego discord? Would be better than this I think to set up trades, do new news, etc. I think we tried it a long time ago when groups were introduced here, but that died pretty quickly.
I'd like a Lego discord. I rarely come onto CAG anymore except for bored browsing. I'm all over discord, though.

Some of you might be highly disappointed if you're expecting a huge discount on certain LEGO sets from TRU. 

Word is that most TRU stores (YMMV) will only discount LEGO up to 20% of their inventory liquidation. The rest of the unsold product will then be shipped to specific LEGO stores throughout the US.

Also, the company is looking to expand in certain areas where closed TRU stores will leave a shopping void.

Hope this helps.

More interesting to me is that creepy giraffe has disappeared overnight and on eBay is going for $10-$15 already. Also free shipping went from $29 last weekend to $49 yesterday to $99 today. I'm going to regret not buying more of the creepy giraffe for $4 when I had the chance. Collectable idem now, thankfully I already bought two.

Some of you might be highly disappointed if you're expecting a huge discount on certain LEGO sets from TRU.

Word is that most TRU stores (YMMV) will only discount LEGO up to 20% of their inventory liquidation. The rest of the unsold product will then be shipped to specific LEGO stores throughout the US.

Also, the company is looking to expand in certain areas where closed TRU stores will leave a shopping void.

Hope this helps.
Is there info that those sets will then go on clearance at the LEGO stores?

I still think some sets will be clearanced, LEGO doesn't have enough physical stores to take all of TRU's LEGO inventory. I can see the newest sets being sent back.

My Toys R Us has "Yellow Dot" LEGO, which weren't on sale until last week, and only 10% off then, and non-yellow dot which hit 40% off before they were all bought up. (I couldn't find one left in the entire store)

The yellow dot stuff is pretty much anything new or worth buying, as everything non-yellow dot was pretty much stuff other stores already cleared out for far less.

I had a good couple of days--

Found a single $21 Batcave Break-in at my nearest WMart. Also picked up the 60th Anniv. On Wheels box and a coupon for that booklet.

Found 3x Tiny Millennium Falcon baggies at Target for $3.48 each last night and grabbed them all with a quickness.

Still watching the Dimensions for better prices on a couple of things.

Haven't made the hike out to either of the remaining ATL TRUs yet. Like others, I'm sure I'd only find disappointment at this point.

When I went to a closing TRU last month everything new, winter releases were marked with yellow dots and not part of clearance and everything that was on clearance was only 10% off. I get email notifications about the closing stores and further markdowns, doesn’t specificy what LEGO is marked at now but I would imagine it’s 40% by now assuming anything is left. This was one of the stores on the original closure list, closing on April 5 I believe. I may try to go up there this weekend to see if there’s anything worth picking up. By having the LEGO vendors go to stores and pick up what’s on clearance to send back to warehouses isn’t unheard of, I’ve seen it happen at target. I guess they figure they can sell it on their website if anything. At TRU they’ve never had to because they never put anything on clearance and would just let it sit there for years until it sold.

Edit - just found the teen Groot keychains at Target, ringing up as $5.99 so yeah make sure you just do the qualifying purchase route :p

When I went, there were signs by the Lego saying they're not eligible for any discount, other than the ones that's like 2+ years old sets that were cheaper for ages.

Only things we picked up were board games that never had a discount on Amazon.

If you're near a west coast TRU closing store that still has the Caterham Seven 620R, it will be 14.99 starting Thursday.

I had a good couple of days--
Found a single $21 Batcave Break-in at my nearest WMart. Also picked up the 60th Anniv. On Wheels box and a coupon for that booklet.
Found 3x Tiny Millennium Falcon baggies at Target for $3.48 each last night and grabbed them all with a quickness.

Still watching the Dimensions for better prices on a couple of things.
Haven't made the hike out to either of the remaining ATL TRUs yet. Like others, I'm sure I'd only find disappointment at this point.
I'm not sure any have started clearance yet. Northpoint was business as usual last week and was on the chopping block in January.

Don’t know what that is but no, court proceedings is the general reason being given out
Lots of vendors unhappy and objecting to how they are conducting the sales so that’s probably part of it

Bigdaddy... you approve of the tron set?
I don't aprrove of the price, but I like having more non-Star Wars sci-fi LEGO.

The minifigures are perfect, but I feel like that's all LEGO cares about in most sets now-a-days.

They needed to spend more time, and pieces, on the bikes and not have a useless base. LEGO has been very creative with NinjaGo bikes which are bigger, more detailed and cheaper. The two bikes are only like 150-175 pieces for both of them.

Still a really smart move making an Ideas set 'only' $35. Most of the Ideas I remember recently are Saturn V, $120 and Fishing Market $150. Plus the next after this is Voltron which is rumored to be $200ish. After 20% off all the time and some more discount on AWD, for $20 I'll probably buy it but the $35 cost really is bad. (Women of NASA is only $25 and has one more piece and one more figure. The shuttle alone is worth the price, plus figures.)

TRU top stores, along with Canada stores are supposed to be auctioned off by the end of the month. More interesting to me is the guy who bought the KB Toys name back in 2006 wants to launch a website and 1,000 holiday stores later this year. He bought it the name right back in 2006 from the former holder...... TRU. What goes around comes around.

Yeah I saw the Bratz CEO news now, I would assume it has more to do with the vendor uproar though.

That women of NASA set has been hitting $20 at TRU and Amazon in recent weeks

15% off on yellow-dot LEGOs today... also today was my last trip in to Toys R Us. Store is practically barren. If they condensed stock, they have like 1-2 aisles of action figures left, and I just mean 1 or 2 sides, not 2 full aisles, aside from the like 100 of the one huge Power Ranger Megazord they can't get rid of. Dolls... half a side of an aisle of Barbie, bit less of Monster High, tons of now-pegwarmer DC Super Hero Girls.. I remember when you couldn't find those to save the world. Problem is they way overproduced about 5 characters...

Think the Luke and Darth of Star Wars, nobody wants 500 versions of both, but Hasbro makes them...

Picked up one cheap Monster High set we didn't have, some Tsum Tsum advent calendars for friends, a Leafeon Pokemon plush... that's about it.

Video games are down to shit that even at 40% off, it's cheaper at Target/Walmart etc. and even cheaper at Amazon.

My son and I stopped by the local TRU on the way back home from the comic shop...no sale yet.  We mostly focused on what fixture we would want the most and settled on the price-checker!  That thing loved to dish out some major disappointment the past 20 years. :p 

So, few things on fixtures: Nothing branded/licensed is for sale.

Display fixtures are super expensive compared to other stores that have closed in the last few years.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Prepare to be disappointed.
That's been the TRU motto for years

Any word on when the rest of the stores will liquidate? Heard something about it on the news this morning that made it sound like it already started, but yesterday it sounded like it was on hold.

Fixtures don't sell right away.  My store is down to its last week and the liquidation company started selling fixtures at 50% off.  We maybe only sold 10 fixtures up until this past week. We've sold 2 dozen or so after they slashed the prices.

Target has Destiny's Bounty for 99.99 online and shipping is free.

No link since this is my first post.

Price glitches at target online for some sets, really good stuff is OoS. They had death star at $140, Assembly Square at $80 and a few others. The sets that are still available are boost at $60 and Ocean Monument at $60. You might also be able to find the jungle exploration site for $60.

YMMV, but was able to PM Destiny's Bounty in store using the Target app to scan the item. Don't trust the in-store inventories posted online. I think Target set them all to out of stock while they fix the glitch.

Was able to get the boost set for $60 and Ocean Monument for $60, missed the DS but know a few people that got shipping confirmations for theirs.

^I'm guessing Target fixed the issue.

Damn, I went for a hike because it's my day off and was above freezing.

I would have loved a Boost for $60, and any of the modulars.

bread's done
Back