Let The Right One In

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I rarely buy Blu rays but I just noticed this was about to come out. Do any of you guys tracking prices know if anyone has a release day sale on it?

Amazon has it for $19.99 but shipping kills it for me.

ok so, the castration thing makes sense, because I didn't know what I was looking at when Eli was shown somewhat nude. But, that also means they are in some kind of gay relationship?

[quote name='DestroVega']
ok so, the castration thing makes sense, because I didn't know what I was looking at when Eli was shown somewhat nude. But, that also means they are in some kind of gay relationship?
[/quote]

eh, sort of I guess but not really. they are both only 12 and Eli never got to reach puberty being turned into a vampire beforehand. In the book after Eli bites Hakan (who is a pedophile which is why he does what he does for Eli, another thing left out of the movie) Hakan comes back as a vampire.
The thing is though he is basically dead because he burned his face off with the acid and then fell out the hospital window and completely smashed like a pancake. But the book describes it really well as the vampire living on in him is it's own entity.
It goes into more detail with Virginia who gets her own side story in the book too where she cuts her self and drinks her own blood for days. And she is laying in bed one day and thinks there is a mouse in the bed until she realizes it's a seperate heart beat than her own inside of her.
So, when Eli says "i'm not a girl or a boy" he really means it. He's just a vampire.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']
[/QUOTE]

No. Part of what makes this story so cool is that Oskar is too young to have those kinds of feelings. He just wants a friend. And he finds a deep friendship with Eli.

I looked forward to this one for a few months and thought it didn't live up to the hype, I enjoyed watching it but I'm glad I rented it first.

[quote name='havuk']I looked forward to this one for a few months and thought it didn't live up to the hype, I enjoyed watching it but I'm glad I rented it first.[/QUOTE]

Hype sucks, and ruins many movies. That's why it's important to see all you can as soon as you can.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Hype sucks, and ruins many movies. That's why it's important to see all you can as soon as you can.[/quote]

i agree with you lots of movies get a bad rap due to the hype then i check them out and find out they are pretty good...

I've been wanting to buy this film myself, but I haven't found any good deals on it. I don't really want it on BD because I figured the quality (being low budget) isn't really worth a BD purchase. I rarely pay full price for a DVD so $20 is a price I'm trying to avoid paying (even though the film is totally worth it). I'm strapped for cash right now so I need to penny pinch.

Is the $15 price tag people are talking about at WalMart a normal price or was it 1st week sale price?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='vx2']For those of you who are about to purchase...DONT! Seems like the dvd/bluray has some dumbed down subtitling issues.

News and link below, plus a quoted update:

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/03/24/right-one-has-wrong-subtitles/

"UPDATE: Magnolia has told The Digital Bits that, while it plans to re-issue the disc with a proper theatrical subtitle track, it will not be exchanging it for those already purchased."[/quote]

[quote name='postulio']yeah the official release was gimped beyond all belief. those of you who were disappointed in the script, you should download & watch the DVD SCREENER which has the original theatrical script. the release is truly awful and i'm sorry for those who paid for it.

here is a great article/comparison:

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/03/let_the_wrong_subtitles_in_to.html[/quote]

Actually after seeing the comparisons the american blu-ray release's subtitles are a lot closer to the dialogue in the book. The theatrical dialogue is very different from the book. I wouldn't call it dumbed down really. "forgive me" to "sorry. Eh, no big deal. And like I said the "dumbed down" ones are a lot more like the original source, exactly out of the book on some of them.

Thank god too because I was about to be really upset over this since I bought the bluray day one after reading the book earlier this year.

[quote name='HowStern']Actually after seeing the comparisons the american blu-ray release's subtitles are a lot closer to the dialogue in the book. The theatrical dialogue is very different from the book. I wouldn't call it dumbed down really. "forgive me" to "sorry. Eh, no big deal. And like I said the "dumbed down" ones are a lot more like the original source, exactly out of the book on some of them.

Thank god too because I was about to be really upset over this since I bought the bluray day one after reading the book earlier this year.[/quote]
Interesting, I'm reading the book right now...but still I think I am going to hold off for the theatrical release. Anyone else have any information/first hand accounts of the subtitles?

^nice the book is the way to go. :) the movie is still great though. but the book has so much that isn't in the movie.

[quote name='HowStern']Actually after seeing the comparisons the american blu-ray release's subtitles are a lot closer to the dialogue in the book. The theatrical dialogue is very different from the book. I wouldn't call it dumbed down really. "forgive me" to "sorry. Eh, no big deal. And like I said the "dumbed down" ones are a lot more like the original source, exactly out of the book on some of them.[/QUOTE]

But we are talking about the movie here, not the book. Wouldn't you want to hear/read the director's intended dialogue? The movie is going to be different from the book, there is no changing this. I am glad I found out about this error and will wait for the new release.

^yeah if someone saw this in the theater after not reading the book and then bought the DVD I can see how they could be dissapointed. Even though it's only a few lines, there isn't a whole lot of dialogue in the movie to begin with.
But having read the book first and falling in love with that I like how the DVD mostly duplicates the novels dialect.

Yeah I just skimmed through the parts in the book that are pointed out in the above posts about the "fixed" subtitles and the current version's subtitles are right out of the book. It really captures the tone of the book.

The only weird mess up is the one where
Hakan is about to pour acid on his face. In the book he screams "Eli!" and in the movie he audibly but quietly says "Eli" yet the subtitle says "I'm trapped". They goofed that up.
But for the most part I would actually consider the current dvd the "fixed" version since it seems to take the dialogue direct from the novel.

Although worthy of noting is that the author of the book, John Ajvide Lindqvist, also wrote the screenplay. So, the changes were still made by the original author.

In that case it might be the author's and director's other "interpretation" of the book, seeing as the screenplay is by the same author, he was going for a more different interpretation to make it work as a film, which we should take it as such.

And, c'mon, cleary compressing 6 lines of dialogue with over 50 words to a 2 lines in 6 words, there really is QUITE a difference. I'm sure you'll notice this when the characters keep talking and only very few subtitles screen out. You know you're missing out.

This movie is worth a second buy anyway, hopefully they'll include more extras on the fixed version...which is likely.

This subtitle thing sucks. I just bought the DVD last night. After reading the comparison, it's not THAT big of a deal but it still sucks nonetheless.

[quote name='HowStern']Actually after seeing the comparisons the american blu-ray release's subtitles are a lot closer to the dialogue in the book. The theatrical dialogue is very different from the book. I wouldn't call it dumbed down really. "forgive me" to "sorry. Eh, no big deal. And like I said the "dumbed down" ones are a lot more like the original source, exactly out of the book on some of them.

Thank god too because I was about to be really upset over this since I bought the bluray day one after reading the book earlier this year.[/QUOTE]
This is the best post I've seen so far on this issue. I've been around to other forums and nobody has done a direct comparison to the book yet.
I did some checking, and it turns out that Lindqvist DID NOT write the English version of the book. His Swedish version was translated to English by Ebba Segerberg (according to the Amazon listing for "Let me in"). Therefore, the book and disc English dialogue is only one translation of what Lindqvist wrote.
The other translation is the theatrical subtitle translation by Ingrid Eng, which we can assume is a straight translation of the movie dialogue or screenplay. This translation of the screenplay would not necessarily be the same as the book, as we know that Lindqvist's screenplay differs from the book in a variety of ways.

So, we can assume that they didn't pull these new disc subtitles out of thin air, but instead went back to the book's English translation. Nonetheless, IMO, that was a mistake because I've read posts (at the IMDB board) from Swedish speakers who have said that the theatrical subtitles are more in line with what is actually being said up on screen.

bread's done
Back