Let's say you wanted to build a website/mobile app.... where would you start?

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
Let's say you had an idea for a website or a mobile app but you didn't know how to get it off the ground.

You consider yourself intelligent, but you are self aware enough to know you'll never be able to do this on your own.

You have some good ideas but aren't sure where to begin or who to share your ideas with. You don't have anyone in your immediate circle that can help...

You don't want to see someone run with your ideas (and exclude you) but you don't want to sit on them either.

Who would you speak with? Where would you start?

Thoughts?

[quote name='perdition(troy']Are you looking for people to speak with to bounce ideas off of, or looking for someone to speak with to begin to develop the website/mobile app.[/QUOTE]

Both I suppose.

I used to be good with the original HTML--when tripod and angelfire and geocities and all those type of hosting sites were big.

It's been about 10+ years since I messed with any of that and I feel like my brain can't absorb enough information to learn how to build anything complex--that and I don't have the time in my schedule to even try.

I've talked with the one and only local "I build websites" guy and he really doesn't want to touch anything that isn't a simple e-commerce site. That and after meeting with him I don't trust him.

I started a thread awhile ago (couldn't find it) basically asking if I should try and track down a college kid or two that are computer science majors and see if they would be "Brains for hire" but people thought that wasn't a very good idea or would be a waste of my time.

hi html is a start. PHP and java script is good to know as well. What are you looking to do a web site or a app?
Adam

[quote name='possum1284']hi html is a start. PHP and java script is good to know as well. What are you looking to do a web site or a app?
Adam[/QUOTE]

I have a few projects that I've been sitting on because I'm not sure how to get them started. All I've done at this point is brainstorm, research the idea, make outlines and register domain names.

Most would primarily be website first / mobile application second. I just want to see them get developed---I don't need to be hands on every step of the way but would like to be involved in some fashion.

If I had a few minutes to brush up I am sure I wouldn't butcher the difference between trademark/patent/copyright but basically I'm afraid to get into too much detail about my ideas because I don't want someone to run with it and shut me out (you patent an idea right?)

And I don't know if it is even worth the $$$ and time to patent these but I have money I've put aside if I figure out where to start

Can you give a rough idea as to the scope of the project? Speaking strictly high level here...will your website need to consult a database for something...will your website need to allow users to communicate with each other...will it need any fancy graphics...and so on.

Since it sounds like you'll need to work with someone else on this, the key to protecting yourself is documentation. Any freelancer should insist on a contract, and if they don't, you should. It'll protect you from them running with your idea and it'll protect them from you not paying.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Can you give a rough idea as to the scope of the project? Speaking strictly high level here...will your website need to consult a database for something...will your website need to allow users to communicate with each other...will it need any fancy graphics...and so on.

Since it sounds like you'll need to work with someone else on this, the key to protecting yourself is documentation. Any freelancer should insist on a contract, and if they don't, you should. It'll protect you from them running with your idea and it'll protect them from you not paying.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I never saw your response. Yes it is going to need a database (lots of stored information) and new information being entered daily.

Most of my ideas don't center around e-commerce and it seems like that is the only type of site people want to build.

What makes a document legal and binding? Would it need to be notorized? It's not that I don't trust people but I don't want to sit down with someone, discuss my ideas, have them say the project isn't right for them, and then they go off and do something similar on their own.

I do quite a bit of software work. I actually do work for a guy from time to time who specializes in this kind of stuff (building websites/apps for people who have ideas but don't have the technical knowledge). If you want, I can PM you his info, just ask.

But I actually just signed an NDA not too long ago. It's all in legalease, but I think this pretty much protects your ideas. (At least as much as possible without a good lawyer.)

Print Name: __________________________________

Dear Sir or Madame:

In connection with your discussions with __GBAstar__ and possibly one or more of his colleagues or associates (collectively, “__Company__”), __Company__ will provide to you certain proprietary business ideas and concepts. These ideas and concepts are referred to in this letter as “Confidential Information,” as such term is more specifically defined below.

“Confidential Information” shall mean confidential or proprietary, non-public ideas, plans, designs, concepts, trade secrets, “know-how” and other information that will be delivered, provided or otherwise disclosed to you by or on behalf of __Company__, whether oral, written, visual or in some other form, and whether or not identified as confidential.

As a condition to __Company__ furnishing to you any Confidential Information, you hereby agree as follows:

1. The Confidential Information will not be disclosed by you to anyone or used by you for any purpose other than to engage in discussions with __Company__. Without limiting the foregoing, you acknowledge that one or more of the ideas or concepts constituting Confidential Information that may be disclosed to you by __Company__ are ideas for new commercial enterprises or businesses and, accordingly, by signing this letter you are agreeing not to pursue those enterprises or businesses. In the unlikely event that you are requested or required by governmental order, judicial process or similar means to disclose any Confidential Information, you agree to provide prompt written notice to __GBAstar__ of such request and to cooperate with him, at his expense, in seeking to limit such disclosure and in seeking an appropriate protective order and confidential treatment.

2. Upon the request of __GBAstar__, you will promptly deliver to him or destroy all of the Confidential Information furnished to you (including any notes taken or other documents or materials containing Confidential Information, in whatever media they may exist), without retaining any copies or other reproductions thereof. In such event, you will continue to be bound by the terms and conditions of this letter.

3. This letter contains the entire agreement between you and __GBAstar__ with respect to the matters covered hereby, and no modification of this letter or waiver of its terms shall be binding on you or __GBAstar__, unless approved in writing by each of you and __GBAstar__, or, in the case of a waiver, by __GBAstar__. It is understood that no failure or delay by __GBAstar__ in exercising any right, power or privilege hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof, nor shall any single or partial exercise thereof preclude any other or further exercise thereof or the exercise of any other right, power or privilege hereunder. This letter shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of __State__ applicable to contracts executed in and to be performed in that state. This letter may be executed in one or more counterparts. Delivery of an executed counterpart of this letter by facsimile or other electronic transmission shall be effective as delivery of a manually executed counterpart of this letter.

If you are in agreement with the foregoing, please sign and return one copy of this letter to __GBAstar__ which will constitute a binding agreement between you and __GBAstar__.

Sincerely,

Let me know if I accidentally left anything in there that shouldn't be. :/ I replaced the confidential stuff with __{stuff}__.

bread's done
Back