Libby: Bush Authorized Plamegate Leak

Actually, from what I read, Libby testified that Cheney said Bush authorized the whole leak. And it was a leak on classified information, which didn't specifically label Plame yet, but probably will. In any event, the leaking of ANY classified information is treasonous.

IMPEACH. NOW.

It is not illegal for the president to "declassify" previously secret information. But the disclosure in documents filed Wednesday means — according to Libby's testimony — that the president and the vice president authorized him to act as a secret provider of information to reporters about pre-war intelligence on Iraq.
Excerpt: USA Today

Well, so much for that argument.

Legality aside, I seem to remember that Bush looked straight into the cameras and stated that he would fire anyone associated with the leak. A strange action when it seems (according to Libby) that he knew about, and authorized the leak himself.

Furthermore, if this was completely legal, why would the Justice Department need to appoint an independent counsel to investigate the matter (at considerable taxpayer expense)? What did Cheney and Bush say during their depositions about the leak?

History has shown us that while the action itself may not be illegal, the actions taken the investigation that follows may actually be.

The president can only declassify information previously classified by the Executive Branch - Congress classified the identity of the CIA agents, thus Dubya broke the law.

Howard Dean summarizes this quite well: “The fact that the president was willing to reveal classified information for political gain and put interests of his political party ahead of Americas security shows that he can no longer be trusted to keep America safe,” Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12187153/

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Well, so much for that argument.[/QUOTE]

Besides the fact you are completely and utterly wrong, do you have a soul or a mind of your own?

I think its highly questionable whether it was legal to leak Plame's identity. Lets stop for a second and look at the absolute best case scenario in which it was legal: Bush deliberately and willfully revealed sensitive information damaging to our national security as payback for an opponent who had publicly revealed that Bush had lied to drag our country into an unnecessary war.

Its still not pretty at all. Even in the best-case-scenario interpretation, Bush clearly is willing to put his own political power above national security. Then we move beyond the Plame scandal and look at the NSA wiretapping: Bush claims that he's only wiretapping suspected terrorists - but we already know he's more concerned with polticial gain than national security. Seriously, does anyone doubt for a second that Bush isn't wiretapping political opponents?

I hereby make the bet that before all is said and done, its going to be revealed that there were taps on the Kerry campain in 2004, and that all the information gathered through those taps went straight to Karl Rove.

[quote name='Elrod']Legality aside, I seem to remember that Bush looked straight into the cameras and stated that he would fire anyone associated with the leak. A strange action when it seems (according to Libby) that he knew about, and authorized the leak himself.

Furthermore, if this was completely legal, why would the Justice Department need to appoint an independent counsel to investigate the matter (at considerable taxpayer expense)? What did Cheney and Bush say during their depositions about the leak?

History has shown us that while the action itself may not be illegal, the actions taken the investigation that follows may actually be.[/QUOTE]

The crucial point here is bolded, in addition to the obvious: the person most trusted with national security (c'mon kids, it's the *only* thing that kept him above water for years) is clearly implicated in abusing it to suit his political needs. Someone is lying: Libby has the most to gain by singing like a bird, obviously, as he's the only one indicted of anything. It could be Cheney, who lied about Bush authorizing it. It could be Bush, lying about not knowing anything about the leak, and lying about firing anyone involved with it (well, that we *know* is a lie).

It isn't clear that Bush declassified it, but the argument is that he *authorized* it. He isn't known for going by the book in the past few months (NSA spying anyone?), so it wouldn't be a shock if he authorized the leak without exactly declassifying it.

At any rate, PAD, you want to discuss the legality of the issue, rather than confront the fact that you can't justify what the administration has done here.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']It is not illegal for the president to "declassify" previously secret information. But the disclosure in documents filed Wednesday means — according to Libby's testimony — that the president and the vice president authorized him to act as a secret provider of information to reporters about pre-war intelligence on Iraq.
Excerpt: USA Today

Well, so much for that argument.[/quote]
Right... Just like they changed the army field manual to redefine 'interrogation':roll:

http://alovelypromise.blogspot.com/2005/12/army-field-manual-revised-to-permit.html

PAD,
Take off the 'Freedom 'focals' and see this for what it is; TREASON

I love it!

Flashback, liberals six months ago: LIBBY IS A LEAKER! HANG HIM! HANG HIM! fuck THE TRIAL PUT HIM TO DEATH! DOWN WITH BUSH DIE REPUBLICANS DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Liberals today: LIBBY, WHAT AN AWESOME WHISTLEBLOWER! GREAT JOB GOOD SIR, HERE, DRINKS ARE ON ME! THREE CHEERS FOR LIBBY! DOWN WITH BUSH DIE REPUBLICANS DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Did I mention I love it?

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I love it!

Flashback, liberals six months ago: LIBBY IS A LEAKER! HANG HIM! HANG HIM! fuck THE TRIAL PUT HIM TO DEATH! DOWN WITH BUSH DIE REPUBLICANS DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Liberals today: LIBBY, WHAT AN AWESOME WHISTLEBLOWER! GREAT JOB GOOD SIR, HERE, DRINKS ARE ON ME! THREE CHEERS FOR LIBBY! DOWN WITH BUSH DIE REPUBLICANS DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Did I mention I love it?[/QUOTE]

You love your unquestionable support of an administration that plays folly with classified information as political retribution for Joseph Wilson exposing the truth that Bush knowingly lied about in his SOTU speech? Strange, I love it too.

And you're quite wrong about liberals championing Libby as a hero. Since it took and indictment to get him to say what we've all wanted to know for years, he's certainly as complict as the rest. He just knows that he was made the patsy by those in the administration who conspired to leak classified information, and is either bitter about being the fall guy, or wants a lighter sentence that he's certain to get.

In the meantime, stop making shit up, and go look up "The Prisoner's Dilemma." It'll do you a world of good.

[quote name='Elrod']Legality aside, I seem to remember that Bush looked straight into the cameras and stated that he would fire anyone associated with the leak. A strange action when it seems (according to Libby) that he knew about, and authorized the leak himself.[/QUOTE]

I think this sums things up for me as well. I'd love to hear the explanation for this, and I hope McClellan or someone responds to a question about it over the next few days. Should be interesting to see if the administration basically calls Libby a liar or if they try to fudge their way out of this seeming contradiction. OTOH, as Myke rightly points out, we already know that Bush's statement that he would fire anyone associated with the leak was an out-and-out lie, since he did nothing of the sort.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I love it!

Did I mention I love it?[/QUOTE]

Not that you have a working brain, but care to show one Liberal/Democrat lauding Libby and forgetting what he did previously?

Or this yet another false strawman?

You peple really like to read things that haven't been printed. Nowhere does it say that Bush ordered the leaking of Valerie Plame's identity. But perhaps it's the inherent biased wording of the liberal media stories that hypnotize you into believing exactly what you want to hear.

[quote name='bmulligan']You peple really like to read things that haven't been printed. Nowhere does it say that Bush ordered the leaking of Valerie Plame's identity. But perhaps it's the inherent biased wording of the liberal media stories that hypnotize you into believing exactly what you want to hear.[/QUOTE]

This is quite true.

What I take issue with is the fact that the President authorized the link of the CIA document to reporters, and then professed innocence to the American public. It is unquestionable that Bush has the authority to approve the disclosure of CIA information to reporters, but the leak amounted to using sensitive intelligence data for political gain.

[quote name='bmulligan']You peple really like to read things that haven't been printed. Nowhere does it say that Bush ordered the leaking of Valerie Plame's identity. But perhaps it's the inherent biased wording of the liberal media stories that hypnotize you into believing exactly what you want to hear.[/QUOTE]

*harumph!*

[quote name='mykevermin']The crucial point here is bolded, in addition to the obvious: the person most trusted with national security (c'mon kids, it's the *only* thing that kept him above water for years) is clearly implicated in abusing it to suit his political needs. Someone is lying: Libby has the most to gain by singing like a bird, obviously, as he's the only one indicted of anything. It could be Cheney, who lied about Bush authorizing it. It could be Bush, lying about not knowing anything about the leak, and lying about firing anyone involved with it (well, that we *know* is a lie).[/quote]

And yes, the media, owned and operated by vested capital interests and corporate monoliths, is just a cover for the coming communist revolution. You're such a self-fulfilling prophecy.

[quote name='Elrod']This is quite true.[/QUOTE]

For clarification purposes: When I said this I was referring to bmulligan's statement of "Nowhere does it say that Bush ordered the leaking of Valerie Plame's identity.” Not the rest of the inflammatory BS contained in his message.

When the president authorizes the release of information it is not a "leak", it's a decision.

You libs are like crazed animals. You've been locked up so long you lash out at anything that flies past your cages and, like in a cartoon, ordinary objects look like roast duck.

You're getting very sleepy, Myke. Oops, I guess you're already asleep and have been for some time.

[quote name='bmulligan']When the president authorizes the release of information it is not a "leak", it's a decision.

You libs are like crazed animals. You've been locked up so long you lash out at anything that flies past your cages and, like in a cartoon, ordinary objects look like roast duck.

You're getting very sleepy, Myke. Oops, I guess you're already asleep and have been for some time.[/quote]

...Said the pot to the kettle...

[quote name='Metal Boss']...Said the pot to the kettle...[/QUOTE]

The difference between Myke and you, Metal Boss, is that Myke voluntarily relinquishes his mental faculties for his lapses with reality. You don't seem to have that option.

[quote name='bmulligan']When the president authorizes the release of information it is not a "leak", it's a decision.

You're getting very sleepy, Myke. Oops, I guess you're already asleep and have been for some time.[/quote]

Bush is the one who authorized the information to be released.

Bush then pledges to the US he will find out who "leaked" the agent's name.

So either he lied or is mentally retarded, incapable of remembering his own decisions. There is, of course, the third option in which he is both, making him quite the evil retard, something I don't often get to say. Regardless, either way I can't say I'd really want him for president. Except for the possibility of coming up with creative new insults.

The problem with Bmull et al. is that they just dont care anymore.

They would rather argue about half imagined libruls than their own incompetence and idiocy.

[quote name='Msut77']The problem with Bmull et al. is that they just dont care anymore.

They would rather argue about half imagined libruls than their own incompetence and idiocy.[/quote]
I've noticed.

When the Hell do I get a proper title?

I expect more from you, bmulligan. Even through the haze of half a dozen High Lifes I see nothing of substance and even less of retort that you've offered in your last few posts. You seem to be a verbose right-wing version of Msut. I expect more from you, and I would like to extend the opportunity to you to do so.

[quote name='bmulligan']The difference between Myke and you, Metal Boss, is that Myke voluntarily relinquishes his mental faculties for his lapses with reality. You don't seem to have that option.[/quote]

Do you find it as hard to assert logic into your keystrokes, as I find it hard to keep interest in your inane bullshit?

[quote name='mykevermin']You seem to be a verbose right-wing version of Msut. I expect more from you, and I would like to extend the opportunity to you to do so.[/QUOTE]

Snide remarks aside, why would you expect anything out of these people?

They are beyond redemption.

They have been suck W's turds for years now, they cant stop.

[quote name='mykevermin']I expect more from you, bmulligan. Even through the haze of half a dozen High Lifes I see nothing of substance and even less of retort that you've offered in your last few posts. You seem to be a verbose right-wing version of Msut. I expect more from you, and I would like to extend the opportunity to you to do so.[/QUOTE]

Actually I've wasted too much energy in retorts to Mslut so I put him on my ignore list (first and only entry), and Metal Boss is not far behind. He can formulate a complete thought once in a while, but it's still a waste of energy to even acknowledge him , especially recently.

[quote name='bmulligan']Actually I've wasted too much energy in retorts to Mslut so I put him on my ignore list (first and only entry), and Metal Boss is not far behind. He can formulate a complete thought once in a while, but it's still a waste of energy to even acknowledge him , especially recently.[/QUOTE]

So you admit to being wrong all the time?

[quote name='mykevermin']You love your unquestionable support of an administration that plays folly with classified information as political retribution for Joseph Wilson exposing the truth that Bush knowingly lied about in his SOTU speech? Strange, I love it too.

And you're quite wrong about liberals championing Libby as a hero. Since it took and indictment to get him to say what we've all wanted to know for years, he's certainly as complict as the rest. He just knows that he was made the patsy by those in the administration who conspired to leak classified information, and is either bitter about being the fall guy, or wants a lighter sentence that he's certain to get.

In the meantime, stop making shit up, and go look up "The Prisoner's Dilemma." It'll do you a world of good.[/quote]

Oh man, in a desperate attempt to discredit my character, mykevermin pulls out the unquestionable support line. Ouch man, it'll get you some vicious points to use it that early, unfortunately I can't award any originality points. I admit I forgot if you even think about agreeing with the President on anything that you're in his pocket.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']Oh man, in a desperate attempt to discredit my character, mykevermin pulls out the unquestionable support line. [/QUOTE]

Discrediting your character would be like spitting on a smelly pile of offal.

Why bother?

bread's done
Back