Light from bottom screen of Lite bleeding through at edge

Hollow Man

CAGiversary!
I was curious to know if anyone else has this problem with their Lite. When playing in low light, I can notice that the backlight from the bottom screen bleeds through and can be seen at the front edge. If you turn on the Lite, and look at that edge (the edge where the volume control and the headphone jack is) right above the slot for the GBA cartridge, the light is bleeding through on the left side (directly right of the volume switch). It looks like it's because the bottom half of the device is not well glued to the panel where the d-pad and buttons reside.

It isn't causing me any problems playing, but does point to some shoddy manufacturing. Anyone else have this issue?

-HM

Fortunately since it's only viewable when looking directly at that edge, it's not noticible when I play. But it is a bit troubling, and I worry that the two pieces might separate more. I'd get in there and apply a small amount of epoxy to sandwich it tight, but it's impossible since there's no way to remove the clear plastic that protects the top and bottom halves.

-HM

I actually sent an email to Nintendo asking them about the issue. In the meantime, it would be cool if people could see if their Lite has the problem. Just take it into a dark room, turn it on, and look at the front edge (the one where the volume and phone jack is), right above the GBA slot. If present, you won't miss the yellow glow illuminating from the front of the Lite.

Thanks,

-HM

I noticed it last night while playing in the car in the dark. Its really not a big issue, I wouldn't try using epoxy or anything, you'd really be ruining your DS even more. I'd say there's zero chance of the two pieces coming apart more at all. Why would it?

I actually checked out my girlfriend's Lite tonight, and hers doesn't have the problem at all. So I've arranged for Nintendo to send me a new one. Should get it Wed. or Thurs.

Hopefully it won't have dead pixels.

-HM

Representing OCD CAG here. Mine has it and I find it annoying- it's sloppy manufacturing that keeps an otherwise perfectly designed console from ipod level greatness, imho.

Here's a pic:
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/2389/picture12fk.jpg

For those of you that have it, press down on the edge underneath the touch screen and the bleeding will fade out. The problem seems to be caused from a perfect "seal" not being formed by the plastic pieces.

HM: You say your girlfriend's Lite doesn't have the problem. It seems like everyone else does, which makes the odds of finding a Lite w/ no bleeding seem pretty slim.

Hopefully you'll give us an update. If Nintendo sends you a fixed replacement I'm going to ask for the same thing.

Thanks for the pic - that's exactly the way mine looked.

I managed to exchange it at EB Games rather than wait for Nintendo to send me a new (they were perfectly willing to though). My new one doesn't have the problem. I've had it for one week now. I do beat on it less (the old one I hammered on a bit due to excessive New Super Mario playing), but I really can't imagine that just USING it caused the problem.

-HM

my DS does that too but not as bright and only really noticable on the volume control.

but i got a worse problem, the bottom screen on my DS is tinted yellow. i just noticed it the other day and had my DS for less than a week. i also found out that a few other people have had this problem too.

link w/pics

oh well, here's hoping that when i exchange it my next one doesn't have any problems.

I think on my original one the top and bottom screens matched a bit better. On my new one the bottom screen the white is a bit warmer (not yellow, just a warm, less bright white), whereas the top is that harsher flourescent white. My gf's Lite is the same.

But my old one was by no mean's perfect - even though I think the whites were more similar, it was still obvious that when Mario dropped to the bottom screen for the underground parts, that it didn't look as good.

Conclusion - they're all a bit different, and you can probably go nuts trying to get one that's "perfect". I'm going to stay with mine.

-HM

Hm.. don't have that problem. I guess I must've gotten a good system because it seems like people have found plenty of issues with 'em thus far.

My U.S. version is fine. The one I imported from Japan in March has a little bleed-through of light on the top screen, however.

HM- so there's no bleed through at all now? Does the plastic seem tighter? I'm thinking of sending my DSL to Nintendo in a week or two if I can the problem fixed, but like you were, I'm worried of getting back something worse instead.

No bleed-through now. Checked it in a completely dark room last night. Minimal gap between the two layers.

The question I have is will it just get worse over time? I can be fairly certain (but not positive) that my original wasn't bleeding through when I first got it.

My guess is Nintendo will eventually get tighter quality control on this, but the screen hue difference will probably always vary depending on unit (at least until LCD manufacturing standards tighten up).

-HM

I also figure quality will improve, given a few more months, so I'm not in a rush to get it fixed right now. I wonder if the problem exists with the European black units?

Right now this bleed-through probably exists on all of them - just affects some units more than others.

-HM

Mine has bleed through ever since I got it. I don't mind though cause it lets me see the volume better at night when I'm playing in bed.

i exchanged my DS Lite today and my new one has both screens with a yellow tint. also the touch screen is loose on the right side and when you press down the screen moves down [ down into the rest of the body ] and makes an annoying *clank* sound.

i'm going to email Nintendo and ask for a replacement. i've read that they inspect the product before shipping out, so i don't have to goto the store over and over.

Well, you can go look at some other posts on this forum, but unfortunately, sometimes Nintendo's replacements aren't any better.

I was actually at the NYC Nintendo store today. Their DS Lites all had various shades of white for the bottom screen. While it would be nicer if mine matched the top screen a bit better, it's not that big a deal. Many others are the same way.

-HM

bread's done
Back