Like Astro Boy but possibly better? The Legend of Spyro TEN (the eternal night)

FurryCurry

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Guys. Really. Why isn't there a thread for this game? It's awesome and cheap ($19.99).

It plays a bit like Astro Boy Omega factor but with a focus on 1-3 on 1 battles instead of clusterfucks of enemies.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAk45ftaMU0&mode=related&search=[/media]
A video will show you what I mean better. I'm only two hours in but it's a lot of fun and trying to master the fighting system is trickery than it seems.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Guys. Really. Why isn't there a thread for this game?[/quote]

Actually, there is one here (you made it ;) ).

It looks interesting enough, but I'm still more interested in how the DS version is. That'll most likely be the version I get, since I have the previous two Spyro games on there as well.

A new first - a CAG member wondering why there isn't a thread for a certain game, but there is.. and the guy who was wondering why there wasn't a thread was the creater of the original thread. Amazing.

Well I'll be damned. that shit is so funny. *sigh*

And I searched for it too and found jack diddly!

Anyway. I'm 2 hours in and the game is really good. Although it could benefit from being on a larger screen (the world feels too constricted).

And I hear that the DS version is whack. You still launch enemies for air combos but it's a friggin stylus based mini-game once you enter the air. Unlike this where timing and player position play a huge role into how long you can keep these juggles going.

And yeah the video is of a really good player. You really have to be aware of what's going on or you will get knocked back and juggled yourself. There seems to be three enemey types. Fliers who die in one hit, lesser minons, and greater minions. And all the variations between. You really have to know what your enemies are capable of and where environment dangers are, which could work to your advantage for juggling as seen in the video.

I mean if you like games like this then this is a no-brainer.

Wow, that looks pretty awesome. I hope I can wait on it for a month or two though, too much stuff that I'm already committed to through November.

Watch this trailer from Ign instead. It's a better quality and easier to see what's happening. The combat looks kinda like a 2D Devil May Cry 3.

http://media.gameboy.ign.com/media/948/948714/vids_1.html

The guy who designed the combat system posts on this other forum I visit. He's description of hard mode was what convinced me to get the game. I am so tired of games where 'hard mode' consists of enemies with simply more health or armor. That's more tedious then challenging. I'll just quote what he said.
[quote name='guy']Hard mode I went all out, since I personally love challenging games and wanted a mode for people like me. I don't believe in a Hard mode that just makes the enemies have a ton of hit points and do lots of damage, because that ends up being more tedious than hard. So although they do have a bit more health and do more damage, the real challenge is that the enemies use moves they don't use in Normal and Easy and are in general more intelligent and aggressive, so you need to be good at dodging attacks and interrupting their attacks with your own if you want to survive. That doesn't mean you can't still do the massive cool combos you see in the trailer (in fact I was playing on Hard mode when I recorded the footage used in the trailer), but if they survive your combo they'll be quick to punish you and you'll have to be quick yourself to avoid their counter attack. You'll also have to watch out for other nearby enemies trying to hit you during your combos. Of course, as shown in the trailer, the combo system is adaptable enough that you can switch targets quickly on-the-fly to do combos that hit multiple enemies and have a few elemental attacks that can hit multiple targets, which really helps keep you from being overwhelmed, but you still have to be on your toes and pay attention to do this successfully on Hard mode. Also, the bosses are very challenging and pull out all the stops to defeat you. Not everyone will be able to beat Hard mode, but you are well rewarded for doing so.[/quote]

I don't have hard mode yet but everything he said sounds about right.

I'd enjoy this game more if I weren't a four legged dragon.

That looks pretty slick.

Cute sprites too.

Though I am not convinced the gameplay will be better than astroboy.

[quote name='FurryCurry']
I'd enjoy this game more if I weren't a four legged dragon.[/quote]

But if you're a dragon, wouldn't you enjoy games about dragons?

And more importantly, how does a 4-legged dragon play a GBA?

Wows.

I remember disliking the original on PS1 back in the day but this one looks pretty fun.

On an OT note, does anyone else think that the Spyro games would sell better if he wasn't PURPLE? I remember hearing countless comments about how he was a "gay purple dragon" when the original game came out. :roll:

I was buying some random original Game Boy games at a GameStop a couple months back, and the guy who rung me up tried to get me to preorder this (yes, the GBA version).

A Spyro game on the GBA that's actually worth playing? Talk about a nice surprise, especially since I haven't given a shit about any post-PS1 Spyro games and there's hardly any new GBA releases worth talking about these days. I might have to get this on the cheap.

if it played like the spyro games for the psx id be all over it. those early spyro games were really fun and challenging. then they went more for story and less for gameplay and just got lame. i hope they come out with another astro boy game too the gba one was amazing stuff too bad the ps2 one supposedly sucked.

I picked up the Orange Box at EB today and the clerk stuffed one of their little advertisement magazines in my bag. To my surprise, in the flyer is a coupon that's good for $5 off this game (or the other versions). I'll probably go back tomorrow to see if I can score the GBA version for 14.99.

Looks okay.. But I rather enjoyed the crowd control in Astro Boy. Made things hectic and flashy. Commits a mortal sin for a platformer, the sprites are too large. Spyro takes up almost a quarter of the screen, how are you supposed to play that? You know why they do that? so little kids can see the character better.

[quote name='jer7583']Looks okay.. But I rather enjoyed the crowd control in Astro Boy. Made things hectic and flashy. Commits a mortal sin for a platformer, the sprites are too large. Spyro takes up almost a quarter of the screen, how are you supposed to play that? You know why they do that? so little kids can see the character better.[/quote]
UM... The crowd control in this a lot more complicated. Well they aren't crowds but trying to handle two enemies at once here is harder than when enemies flood in from both sides in Astro.

Yeah I agree, the sprites are too large (but still plays fine) or this game should be played on a bigger screen. They do a great job animating it all. It really looks good on the GBA. So many animations...

I got this game a couple days ago with the $5 off coupon and I'm pretty impressed. My only complaint at the moment is the lack of a map. The gameplay is fantastic for the price and looks better than just about any other GBA game I've played.

It's a welcome break from my carts after carts of strategy and RPG games for GBA that I rarely get around to finishing.

I still need to try it on my GBA Player but I'm betting that it + the SNES-style GC controller would be ideal.

Thanks for the heads-up, this game looks like it's right up my alley. I usually dismiss Spyro games since the PSX games gave me nasty migraines and nausea for some reason. I'll pick it up the next time that I pass by the local game shop.

I was the exact same way. I wouldn't have bought this precisely because it's a Spyro game. I changed my mind once I saw the trailer and read about it on a few forums.

I just got this at the EBgames sale. 12.99 after discount. I wonder, though, if I could have used the 5 dollar off coupon with the 25% off-- would have been nice. I'm glad people are really liking this game though. The Youtube video I saw before its release looked absolutely awesome. It's good the GBA gets a swan song before its demise.

Don't worry to much about it Sonic. This game is definitely worth at least the $13 you paid for it.

I'm in the middle of hard mode right now and I am getting my ass kicked. At least I finally managed a 24 hit combo and opened the final door in that temple. I was hoping for a secret power but there was only some blue gems. :( Here's the combo I used in case anyone is interested. You get more hits to your ground and air combo later which makes this easier.

R R B B B B R UP+B(hold) B(2 hits) B DR+R DR+B A(don't touch ground) DR+B UP+R land A B A B B(2 hits) B DR+R DR+B A(don't touch ground) DR+B R

Use the fire breath and it might help to turn off hover. DR = hold down and right. You can launch with up+B but you have to dive attack first. B(2 hits) is that mouth attack you do when you're close to the enemy. The B immediately after knocks them to the ground. There seems to be a limit to how many loops you can do or else I could go up to 50.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']It's good the GBA gets a swan song before its demise.[/quote]

And an unlikely one at that! Especially given MSRP, I really don't think you can go wrong w/ it. I know I said that in the other thread but it needs to be said again.

bread's done
Back