Like the USPS? Get ready to kiss it goodbye...

[quote name='UncleBob']
Aside from that, dohdough - you've mentioned that the USPS, as a private company, would be unable to survive if they had to provide service to small/rural areas. You've also pointed out that, without the government stepping in with this pre-payment into the pension system, the USPS would actually have made money these previous years. I'm curious how that works - the USPS doesn't get tax money or any other real money from the government (although they do receive some special treatment via legal matters and such). What secret formula do they have that allows them to provide the services they do - at a profit - that a private company would be unable to do?[/QUOTE]

Assuming that the USPS could make a profit without he pension mess, I'd guess they'd still lose money in small rural areas, and just make enough in the more densely populated areas to offset that.

Problem with private businesses is who would want to run a private mail system in small rural area where they'd lose money? Private businesses are all about maximizing profits, so if mail went totally private you'd probably have a lot of rural areas not getting home delivery and having to pick up mail at some central location (like p.o. boxes).

Where as the USPS has a mandate to deliver mail pretty much everywhere regardless of whether they can make money in that area or not.

So the only way a private system would work would be to subsidize companies to deliver in non-profitable areas. So it's probably just best to keep the USPS and make whatever tweaks are needed to make the system at least break even every year.

[quote name='dohdough']
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...contributions-into-employee-pension-fund.html

It's about halfway down.[/QUOTE]

That sentence in the article is a bit confusing, but I think that the author means that the American Postal Service Workers Unions is the largest postal union. With 220,000 people being represented, that's no where near the largest union in the US. I think the largest teacher's union has over 2 million members.

Not only is that pre-funding thing a requirement for the USPS and absolutely no other entity in the country, but there is a 200+ co-sponsor bill to remove that requirement that is being blocked by supreme piece of crap Darrell Issa because he has his own bill to basically dismantle the postal service as we know it.

[quote name='UncleBob']I'm curious[/QUOTE]

[quote name='UncleBob']Hmm... I'm curious[/QUOTE]

Congrats, you are bicurious.

/this is a joke

[quote name='chiwii']That sentence in the article is a bit confusing, but I think that the author means that the American Postal Service Workers Unions is the largest postal union. With 220,000 people being represented, that's no where near the largest union in the US. I think the largest teacher's union has over 2 million members.[/QUOTE]
That's some tricky language because teachers unions are localized by district, so they negotiate contracts and grouped on that basis, whereas USPS is not.

And yes, Issa is a huge piece of shit.

The post office in still around? Haven't used them in a long time. I think I'm slated to receive my W2 in the mail, but I already retrieved it online and printed it out.

[quote name='Spokker']The post office in still around? Haven't used them in a long time. I think I'm slated to receive my W2 in the mail, but I already retrieved it online and printed it out.[/QUOTE]

Funny since I used them to mail 70 packages this month.

If you make *any* operation fund 75 years of pensions ahead of time, you won't find a profitable business. Do any of y'all dispute that fact?

I wouldn't care. But I know the Federal Government won't let them go under. I see an executive order coming down if it got to that point.

[quote name='KingBroly']I wouldn't care. But I know the Federal Government won't let them go under.[/QUOTE]

This was the smartest post I seen in this thread

Anyone who thinks they wouldn't be effect by the shutdown of the USPS is about as ignorant as you can get .

My biggest issue is with the U.S. subsidizing Chinese shipping. USPS and China Post along with eBay came to an agreement that allows Chinese sellers to ship items to the United States, with tracking, for pennies on the dollar meanwhile starting January 27th, of this year rates on international postage increased as much as three fold.

I love the logic: Increase costs for people shipping outside the country; allow Chinese to flood our market at a rate of over 30,000 shipments a day for next to nothing

[quote name='GBAstar']Anyone who thinks they wouldn't be effect by the shutdown of the USPS is about as ignorant as you can get .

My biggest issue is with the U.S. subsidizing Chinese shipping. USPS and China Post along with eBay came to an agreement that allows Chinese sellers to ship items to the United States, with tracking, for pennies on the dollar meanwhile starting January 27th, of this year rates on international postage increased as much as three fold.

I love the logic: Increase costs for people shipping outside the country; allow Chinese to flood our market at a rate of over 30,000 shipments a day for next to nothing[/QUOTE]

Well how else could I have gotten my $20 PS Vita from China.....:):)

[quote name='cancerman1120']Funny since I used them to mail 70 packages this month.[/QUOTE]

Sucks there aren't any other companies that mail packages.

[quote name='Spokker']Sucks there aren't any other companies that mail packages.[/QUOTE]
No one does it as as reliably for the price. A company that sends out his type of volume doesn't get the same types of discount as Amazon, if any. Even then, UPS relies on USPS to complete the local leg of delivery to the destination for a great many items.

I cringe whenever I see that something is being delivered using that hybrid type delivery method. First time was DHL/USPS, that was horrible.

There's a local carrier called "Lasership."

I was bummed to find out that it was an early 90's model station wagon.

And they're awful, thoroughly unreliable, never around, no clue where to go to pick up my package when it isn't delivered (and thank jebus that my neighbors are always around to sign for my deliveries).

FREE MARKET, Y'ALL.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's a local carrier called "Lasership."

And they're awful, thoroughly unreliable, never around, no clue where to go to pick up my package when it isn't delivered (and thank jebus that my neighbors are always around to sign for my deliveries).

FREE MARKET, Y'ALL.[/QUOTE]
So what you're saying is the guy moonlights delivering packages after his paper route. lol

[quote name='Spokker']Sucks there aren't any other companies that mail packages.[/QUOTE]

Not for $1.86-2.12 a package. I ship lots of games in bubble envelopes that range from 3-8 oz depending on the game. UPS and FedEx cannot even touch those prices. Sure, Amazon, Buy.com and NewEgg can send them UPS but they get a massive discount. It runs at minimum $10 to ship items like this outside of USPS. Under 13 oz and USPS cannot be beat. It is more competitive over 1 lb and larger but saying I have "options" is not really true.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Not for $1.86-2.12 a package. I ship lots of games in bubble envelopes that range from 3-8 oz depending on the game. UPS and FedEx cannot even touch those prices. Sure, Amazon, Buy.com and NewEgg can send them UPS but they get a massive discount. It runs at minimum $10 to ship items like this outside of USPS. Under 13 oz and USPS cannot be beat. It is more competitive over 1 lb and larger but saying I have "options" is not really true.[/QUOTE]

Even then, USPS is still cheaper a lot of the time. A couple weeks ago, I shipped a 10-12lb package in a box larger than the Large Priority box and it was even cheaper than the flat rate box($11 compared to $17 or $18). USPS is somehow the best kept secret in shipping packages at a super low prices with great delivery times. They advertise Priority as 3 days, but most times, it's 2 freaking days. It's simply amazing.

One thing I do hate though, buying books and having it shipped USPS. I've had two books (1 was a freaking hardback...) stuffed into mail boxes over the year. Why the hell they think that's ok is beyond me. With UPS/Fedex, they have to just leave it at the door at least. Still though, for anything else USPS is the way to go.

[quote name='Clak']One thing I do hate though, buying books and having it shipped USPS. I've had two books (1 was a freaking hardback...) stuffed into mail boxes over the year. Why the hell they think that's ok is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

You would think they would know how to handle mailboxes, since they are the only company legally allowed to put things in there.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's a local carrier called "Lasership."

FREE MARKET, Y'ALL.[/QUOTE]

I sometimes get stuff from Amazon via "Prestige". It's basically the same crap. They are awful and mishandle packages, don't deliver on time or at all, etc. I've complained to Amazon lots about them.

I'll never understand systems with built-in contempt. Considering that you get good delivery service with a private carrier or USPS, respectively, it only makes sense that stuff like "SmartShip" is postal workers trying to spite them and thus why it ends up horrible. I don't think I've ever heard anything positive about hybrid services.

[quote name='cfootball1']now we see Obamacare's future.[/QUOTE]

Yeah a law that the USPS has to fund 75 years of health care costs in 10 years is exactly like the affordable care act. Don't be so dense. USPS would still be turning a profit if not for this stupid law.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Don't be so dense.[/QUOTE]

Dude's from Delaware County, I'm not sure it's something he can stop doing on a dime.

[quote name='usickenme']Never understood the conservative hate for the Post Office...it's constitutionally mandated.[/QUOTE]

And it funds itself. Always has. People who live in mostly rural areas are going to be in a big surprise if Congress continues to kill the USPS. Having to deliver to unprofitable areas on a fixed rate all while not using taxpayer money is exactly what any American should support. Wait till people out in the sticks have to pay $8 just to send a letter because FedEx or UPS won't drive 25 miles to your house for a pickup for $0.46. But you know private business can always do things better and cheaper than the government right?

Oh God I am reading the comments on a yahoo article that the USPS lost 1.3 billion this last quarter. People are dumb.

"Hmmmm the federal government spent more than it brought in. Big surprise!! I wonder what will happen with health care? LOL"

"Let hope Congress does not see this article, they will be stealing from the Social Security fund to prop up the Postal service."

"Pension liability is slowly killing the USPS. It is simply unsustainable. The private sectors stopped pensions years ago."

Anytime someone tried to point out the problems with these comments people just voted them down. I hate people. I really do.

[quote name='mykevermin']Dude's from Delaware County, I'm not sure it's something he can stop doing on a dime.[/QUOTE]

:cry: So am I...

[quote name='usickenme']Never understood the conservative hate for the Post Office...it's constitutionally mandated.[/QUOTE]

They only ever care about the Constitution when it suits them.

[quote name='cancerman1120']And it funds itself. Always has. People who live in mostly rural areas are going to be in a big surprise if Congress continues to kill the USPS. [/QUOTE]

Isn't this all the more reason to privatize it so that Congress cannot continue to kill it? If the USPS funds itself, and government intervention is the problem, then why do want to save it as it is? Cut out the cancer (Congress) and the USPS would flourish.

government intervention that is intervention with the sole purpose of making it appear government can't do things.

republicans run on convincing the public that government is evil and can't do anything right, and when elected, proceed to prove their point.

think about the fact that you want to buy into that without any critique of style, approach, or motive.

cripes.

I don't really understand why, when a group of people basically despise government, they think that by being part of government, they can fix that. To put it simply, if you're a politician and complain about big gubment, you're part of the problem you're bitching about.

[quote name='mykevermin']government intervention that is intervention with the sole purpose of making it appear government can't do things.

republicans run on convincing the public that government is evil and can't do anything right, and when elected, proceed to prove their point.[/QUOTE]
Democrat-controlled states, counties and cities are not exactly shining examples of competence and efficiency.

[quote name='Clak']I don't really understand why, when a group of people basically despise government, they think that by being part of government, they can fix that. To put it simply, if you're a politician and complain about big gubment, you're part of the problem you're bitching about.[/QUOTE]

Real words of wisdom here :drool:

bread's done
Back