Limited Edition Japanese Xbox Controllers at Best Buy YMMV

MasterLin1

CAGiversary!
I don't know if this is a deal or not. I was at my Best Buy awhile ago, and I saw a couple racks full of these controllers. The only thing that makes them special is that they have a green center plate thingy instead of black and a green cord as opposed to a black cord. But the potential deal is that they're only $24.99 compared to regular price of $29.99. So with a GGC they're only $19.99. YMMV I'm guessing tho.

Also I preordered my second copy of Halo 2 :) Worked out pretty nice with the trade in 5 for Halo 2 deal. Regularly the games woulda got me like $14 trade-in credit, but this time around $50 :). They also gave me a couple of Halo 2 ballons, the little holographic card for preordering, and the Halo 2 lanyard they only give employees. Hurray.

These came out well before the regular S Type controller came out in the US... I remember picking one up about a year and a half ago at GameStop...

" Were they $24.99/$19.99 after GGC? I might pick up a new one if my Bestbuy has them. "

Yes. My best buy had 3 in stock. I noticed them last night when I was putting crap away so I picked one up today. My original controller started to die on me. The a button was getting stuck which sucks cuz I like the original controllers design but they quit making them.

I really really want one of these. Are you sure nobody can pick one up for me? I mean if you're getting one for yourself, you can buy an extra. Use the GGC to make it $19.99, and I will pay you the retail $24.99 plus shipping. Plleeease?

I went looking for one of these tonight. (Greenville, S.C.)

I didn't see any in section, so I thought I was out of luck. Turns out they had only 3 and they were all stuck over in the overstock section halfway across the store.

Picked one up with GGC.

Speaking of which, I saw the new GGCs for next year and they suck. The coupons are for specific systems and they are $5 off anything $29.99 or above. I guess they realized the current coupons were being abused too much.

[quote name='Lord Alfred']
Speaking of which, I saw the new GGCs for next year and they suck. The coupons are for specific systems and they are $5 off anything $29.99 or above. I guess they realized the current coupons were being abused too much.[/quote]

There is also a new "$5 off any $19.99" GGC with expiration date 12/31/05.

There is also a new "$5 off any $19.99" GGC with expiration date 12/31/05.

Really. I didn't see any of those last night, although you have to consider that this particular BB pulled all the 2004 GGCs from the store around August due to "abuse". All they left were expired coupon 2003 cards.

I had to drive to another city to get GGCs. I bought a supply and then still use them at the Greenville store. I always smile politely when presenting it.

Yeah, my store got rid of the old ggc's also...what a shame.

I just bought one of the japanese s controllers and the triggers definitely don't have as much resistance...kinda like one of those cheap $10-15 3rd party controllers (ok, maybe not that bad). Another issue I found was that the A button and the white and black buttons seem to be lower (flatter) than on the american s controller. It makes it a little less comfortable for me....anybody else notice this?

[quote name='xzafixz']If I cared enough about my xbox enough I'd seek one of these out, but I just don't.[/quote]

well, thanks for your input!! :wink:

[quote name='inthenewz']Yeah, my store got rid of the old ggc's also...what a shame.

I just bought one of the japanese s controllers and the triggers definitely don't have as much resistance...kinda like one of those cheap $10-15 3rd party controllers (ok, maybe not that bad). Another issue I found was that the A button and the white and black buttons seem to be lower (flatter) than on the american s controller. It makes it a little less comfortable for me....anybody else notice this?[/quote]

Wow, that sucks. Guess I won't be picking one up now.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Aren't the cords on these shorter than the US version?[/quote]
picked one up today for $25. the cord is 2.5m on the Japanese version vs. 3m for the US. the cord is translucent green, and aside from that and the xbox symbol in the middle (which is green instead of black), there is little to initially distinguish the two. i haven't actually used it yet though...

[quote name='OGHowie'][quote name='inthenewz']Yeah, my store got rid of the old ggc's also...what a shame.

I just bought one of the japanese s controllers and the triggers definitely don't have as much resistance...kinda like one of those cheap $10-15 3rd party controllers (ok, maybe not that bad). Another issue I found was that the A button and the white and black buttons seem to be lower (flatter) than on the american s controller. It makes it a little less comfortable for me....anybody else notice this?[/quote]

Wow, that sucks. Guess I won't be picking one up now.[/quote]

No, the triggers don't have as much resistance as the US S, but I can assure you, this is a good thing, ESPECIALLY for FPS and racing games. Lot less fatigue during marathon gaming sessions. I didn't notice the buttons being any lower, though the start button feels a bit higher, which I also like.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='OGHowie'][quote name='inthenewz']Yeah, my store got rid of the old ggc's also...what a shame.

Wow, that sucks. Guess I won't be picking one up now.[/quote]

No, the triggers don't have as much resistance as the US S, but I can assure you, this is a good thing, ESPECIALLY for FPS and racing games. Lot less fatigue during marathon gaming sessions. I didn't notice the buttons being any lower, though the start button feels a bit higher, which I also like.[/quote]
Exactly, the less resistance is great for Halo 2 for things like the plasma pistol. You can fire a little faster. It takes some getting used to for things where you have to hold it part of the way or want to precisely put it somewhere.

My Bestbuy (Watertown MA) didn't have a single one, its a shame. My current Japanese controller will have to break in half before I use an American controller S.

I picked 1 up about 2 days ago at the Bb in Danvers, Ma. They had about 5 of them left. I also did see those console specific gift cards. God I hope those dont replace the current ones!

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']

No, the triggers don't have as much resistance as the US S, but I can assure you, this is a good thing, ESPECIALLY for FPS and racing games. Lot less fatigue during marathon gaming sessions. I didn't notice the buttons being any lower, though the start button feels a bit higher, which I also like.[/quote]

Id say the exact opposite about the triggers. Lets not try to spin what is in reality a flaw in an almost perfect controller. The loose triggers defeat the purpose of an analog trigger. It might as well be an analog button like the ps2 with an effective range of soft, medium, hard.

[quote name='BULL_Ship'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']

Id say the exact opposite about the triggers. Lets not try to spin what is in reality a flaw in an almost perfect controller. The loose triggers defeat the purpose of an analog trigger. It might as well be an analog button like the ps2 with an effective range of soft, medium, hard.[/quote]
Yeah, it is a flaw, a fairly big one in some games, but in very limited circumstances its beneficial. Yes, it defeats the purpose of analog, but it helps if you're just trying to hit the button as fast as you can.

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='xzafixz']If I cared enough about my xbox enough I'd seek one of these out, but I just don't.[/quote]

well, thanks for your input!! :wink:[/quote]

Well, it turns out that while I didn't care enough, my girlfriend did, and picked me up one of these as an early Christmas present, I actually like the triggers on this one better, but that is just one persons opinion. Overall I like the controller better, but just because I am in love with Japan or something.

bread's done
Back