Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
No idea why people keep supporting this company

It is simple really I purchase games I want to own. It they produce a game I want to add to my collection I will buy it. Over the years my support for them has declined and I have bought a lot less and I'm much more selective. I did recently preorder Grandia HD collection and Contra OG for Xbox.

In the past I would have jumped to buy Rogue Legacy 2 but I have owned that game since it's console launch and played it a ton.
I don't need a physical copy. If this game was released closer to the launch window I may have considered it.

I like that they are releasing Strayed Lights physical. It was a game I had on my wish list for a while but I bought it for $4 to try on Steam Deck so I'm not spending $40 on a physical copy.

Every company I buy from I have my limits of what is safe and what isn't. LRG for me is fine if I'm just buying a standard release of a game on a current (or possibly recent generation where media production is still handled by the console platform owner) system and I don't mind the cost or the long wait. That said, I don't buy games just because they look interesting or they are well hyped, I only buy from LRG games in series I'm already a fan of or games I have already played enough of to know I really want a physical copy in my collection. So it's pretty rare I buy directly from them, though I have picked up a few games that they produced that went to retail in the last couple years. Thankfully they no longer get a lot of the stuff I'm most interested in and I've been able to go to retail for most purchases.

This isn't the company you want to look to for repros or new games produced for old long dead systems. But then, I don't think any company is worth looking into for that stuff... so maybe I'm a bit biased against that kind of thing.

Funny you bring up their financials. I wondered what kind of CFO would be cool with whatever the fuck they are doing over there. Their CFO was previously just a business analyst II there. And no MBA or CPA. So yeah, that’s the kind of guy that would be ok with whatever their financial mess is. Someone that is happy with the title that they would not be qualified for anywhere else.
With Embracer circling the drain, there are really three things that I keep coming back to here:
  1. Margins on a lot of the stuff they sell are huge. Not so much standard copies, especially since they were struggling to hit MOQ around the time they turned off the order quantity flag, but CEs that add a box, poster, and pins for $40 are cash cows.
  2. Every time they sell a game they get their money upfront. It doesn't really matter if they're having trouble paying for something from six months ago because they can just get new money by releasing the game of the week and it all works out. It's fragile, yes, but unless a bunch more people start voting with their wallet they can indefinitely kick the can down the road (assuming they have a shortfall at all, which might not be the case based on point #1).
  3. Shutting them down at this point may cost more than it's worth. They have 583 SKUs in production. That's a whole lot of refunds to process.
CAG with the subtle jab in the replies, love to see it:

1. Shutting them down at this point may cost more than it's worth. They have 583 SKUs in production. That's a whole lot of refunds to process.
I think them shutting down would likely be a bankruptcy, which means customers are the last to get any sort of refund, depending on laws.

Since they're based in the USA, though, it's likely any debt they owe would go from investors, to commercial partners, to customers last.

I would kind of chuckle if the LRG physical store is independent enough that it stays open if LRG were to go under. Probably would have to change their name due to licensing or something.

The talk of Embracer shutting down might be a bit premature, quick look shows they were profitable for 2023 and they're not heavily leveraged. Their stock is held by a lot of reputable investors too and I'm pretty sure they're backed by a lot of mid-east oil money.

Honestly, they seem like they're functioning like a private equity firm... except they're not. I feel like there's some odd, 1%-er manipulation game being played here but we're just not seeing it.

Embracers been selling off and closing stuff quite frequently. Iirc they just sold a number of game ips. so chances are they'll stay afloat barring they buy even more companies for more than they can afford. Assuming that their financial situation is true.

Wait, so if Super Rare gets it, that game will never get a ESRB release (as SRG only does PEGI)? Am I reading that right?
That's correct. Only three games are the exception to this rule. Human Fall Flat, Mutant Mudds and Lovers. All three had to ask to be released from their contracts. It took years. The Mutant Mudds dev said that he loved how great LRG's terms were, so they made an ESRB version with them.

The talk of Embracer shutting down might be a bit premature, quick look shows they were profitable for 2023 and they're not heavily leveraged. Their stock is held by a lot of reputable investors too and I'm pretty sure they're backed by a lot of mid-east oil money.

Honestly, they seem like they're functioning like a private equity firm... except they're not. I feel like there's some odd, 1%-er manipulation game being played here but we're just not seeing it.
Embracers been selling off and closing stuff quite frequently. Iirc they just sold a number of game ips. so chances are they'll stay afloat barring they buy even more companies for more than they can afford. Assuming that their financial situation is true.
Embracer has had to sell or shutter Gearbox, Volition, Saber Interactive, Free Radical, lay-off over a thousand employees, and cancel something like 20 games. They also announced that they would split into three companies. Their financials don't paint a rosy picture, but that's a trailing indicator and I do think they're probably doing what they need to in order to remain solvent at this point. It's precarious, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was another round or two of cuts before it's all said and done. The 2023 Fiscal Report will be interesting to read whenever they release it, should be this month or next.

It really is an odd case study all around. Their original idea was to buy some IPs and focus on the AA game range, which sounded pretty solid at the time. Then they went on a spending spree during the pandemic and bought everything that was for sale, even things like Crystal Dynamics and The Lord of the Rings rights which don't really make sense for an AA-focus publisher. Not many of their games hit well, though, and the market has largely pulled back with recession/inflation, and they were up a creek. Then the $2B deal they had planned with the Saudi Wealth Fund fell through and they had to start jettisoning projecs and teams. Some restraint and focus in the '20-'22 timeframe really would've paid dividends IMO.

Not LRG, but wanted to give you guys a heads up

Inscyrption Switch $80

Inscryption PS5 $75

Both sold by Special Reserve. These are the Reserve covers, not the Singles.

Every company I buy from I have my limits of what is safe and what isn't. LRG for me is fine if I'm just buying a standard release of a game on a current (or possibly recent generation where media production is still handled by the console platform owner) system and I don't mind the cost or the long wait. That said, I don't buy games just because they look interesting or they are well hyped, I only buy from LRG games in series I'm already a fan of or games I have already played enough of to know I really want a physical copy in my collection. So it's pretty rare I buy directly from them, though I have picked up a few games that they produced that went to retail in the last couple years. Thankfully they no longer get a lot of the stuff I'm most interested in and I've been able to go to retail for most purchases.

This isn't the company you want to look to for repros or new games produced for old long dead systems. But then, I don't think any company is worth looking into for that stuff... so maybe I'm a bit biased against that kind of thing.

Same for me. That said, no matter how interesting a game is, I'm done ordering directly from them.

It's only Amazon, VGP, or ebay for me. Nothing they publish is worth the wait for me anymore.

Not LRG, but wanted to give you guys a heads up

Inscyrption Switch $80

Inscryption PS5 $75

Both sold by Special Reserve. These are the Reserve covers, not the Singles.

Holy mackerel, why and when did these hit $200+?!

Holy mackerel, why and when did these hit $200+?!

Really that's how the market is these days... there's tons of physical releases and there's no telling what's going to sky rocket and what's gonna hit the bargain bins.

With that said, don't get why these are $80... just because of a reversible cover and even without a manual or cards? Nuts...

Very curious if the Hi-Fi Rush physical copy is still going to happen
I'd assume so.

And on that - what a clusterf%$k Microsoft Xbox is. We're talking LRG level of incompetence over there. Spencer, Bond, and Booty should all be fired. Whatever the strategy there is, I think Gerstman said it best, "It's a mystery ... and I don't think they know, either."

For me, that's where GameStop goes. Unless they get an exclusive that I can't get in stores, there's little chance I'm ordering from them anymore.
I'm willing to deal with Gamestop "new" if (and only if) the price is right. At least I can do returns here.

Last edited:
Really that's how the market is these days... there's tons of physical releases and there's no telling what's going to sky rocket and what's gonna hit the bargain bins.

With that said, don't get why these are $80... just because of a reversible cover and even without a manual or cards? Nuts...

Because of the volume of titles, I've found that the popular titles are the ones that stay at MSRP or go higher, but usually they're in high enough numbers to keep prices at bay... I guess the amount of copies for Inscryption was too low?

bread's done
Back