Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I still have a vcr/dvd recorder combo. It should still work. Usually the main thing that goes bad on a vcr is the belt which can be replaced. I still have it in part because I need to convert some old VHS-C over to digital (using a VHS-C to VHS adapter) and this is the easiest way to do that.

I don't have a VCR, but I have considered getting one of those cheap, small CRT's that usually have one built in (..but probably with no intention of actually using the VCR part)

VCR/VHS is some decent social nostalgia for me. I could stay up later than my friend and watch the The Brak Show, I'd record while I watched and give them the VHS the next day. CD-R's and then USB sticks made that a lot easier later on though.

Why buy vinyl if you don't own a record player. You can get a pretty decent record player for about $50. I got a record player last year for Father's day and I now have a small vinyl collection of some of my favorite band's records and a couple of game soundtracks. I wouldn't have bought any of this without getting the record player. I'm patiently waiting for the arrival of my Sea of Stars vinyl I preordered from Iam8Bit.

Why buy vinyl if you don't own a record player. You can get a pretty decent record player for about $50. I got a record player last year for Father's day and I now have a small vinyl collection of some of my favorite band's records and a couple of game soundtracks. I wouldn't have bought any of this without getting the record player. I'm patiently waiting for the arrival of my Sea of Stars vinyl I preordered from Iam8Bit.
I’m a culprit. If it’s a good enough deal, for a series I like, I’ll get it for the art alone. The books usually have interviews or more info. I’m talking like 80% off though. The first I got during think geeks firesale maybe 4 years ago now? The last guardian vinyl and a few others for maybe $5 each. I’ve picked up suikoden 2, Getsufumuden (only time the original soundtrack has been released in the US), guilty gear, Yuzo Koshiro signed streets of rage 4 LP, and maybe 3-4 others. The signed streets of rage 4 is the only one I paid msrp for. I may eventually get a record player, even though I don’t have much interest, just to get more use out of them I guess. Do you hook it up to a reciever? Otherwise, all for $10 or less when they clear these things out felt worth it just for more physical merch from something I like.

I'm not an audiophile so I don't need a expensive set up. You have a nice collection there. The record player I have was about $50 and has built in speakers and if you want you can add more external speakers to it. It also received lots of positive reviews. I really like it. There are lots of affordable options out there between $40-$60 with built in speakers.

Because people don't buy vinyl to listen to it. I'm very sure that even from that half that own record players, most of them still don't listen to the ones they buy. Maybe they play it exactly once as a "test run", and then never again. And probably don't even play it all the way through. And at best, probably break out the record player like once every few months. Individual records seeing activity like once a year?

And the reason is... honestly, the same reason that vinyl died out in the first place. Because it's a terrible way to listen to music. And I'm not even talking about the worse sound quality, random unintended sound artifacts, and the fact that the records get degraded further every single time they are played. Some people even argue that they prefer this, for some baffling reason. But nah, ignore all that. The real low-key secret to why records died was because the music wasn't ACCESSIBLE. Portable, for example. Cassettes and CDs you can listen to in your car. While walking somewhere. Bring it with you to some outdoor event. A record player, on the other hand, means you can only listen to music when you're specifically sitting at home in your living room. Which not only can you also do with that CD player you just brought back from the backyard BBQ, but you probably also have a bunch of other things at home that you might want to do, instead of just solely dedicating your night to playing records. And this is even more ridiculous in the modern age, where you can just open your favorite attached-at-the-hip computing device, sign in to some service, and hit "play" on any song you want. People simply stopped listening to vinyl because it's a dumb and ineffective way to listen to music. The bad sound quality just helped drive away the hardcore dedicated "music is my whole afternoon" audiophiles also.

So when you hear about "vinyl resurgence", the question isn't "Why are more people listening to vinyl?" Because they're not. In fact, less people than ever are listening to vinyl. The question is "Why are more people BUYING vinyl"? And the article mentions a few good reasons. Most people are just putting it on their shelves. It's a decoration. It's a status symbol. A feel-good purchase. Maybe a dinner party conversation some day. And there's also a sizable number of people who are only buying it to flip it, since they see there's money to be made. And these reasons all line up really well with LRG, when you think about it. A considerable portion of people are just not buying these products to use them.

And yeah, if you do want to listen to vinyl, now's the best time to buy a player. They make them brand new, great quality, and there are even portable ones. I remember that getting a record player was a huge pain in the 2000s, and probably required you to learn how to fix it. But now it's super easy and cheaper than ever. The best thing to come out of this vinyl fad. Maybe we should also encourage LRG to do more VHSes, so we can get VCRs again...

I remember reading about recording players installed in cars but obviously that was uncommon and a safety issue. Plus bumps I imagine destroyed records quickly.

The main record player I had access to growing up was a portable one that closed up with a briefcase style handle. So carrying a record player different places wasn't a big deal, though we mainly just moved it between rooms. Later on it was a proper stereo setup with dual cassette decks and big ass speakers that I inherited. Eventually I got rid of it as I never really got into collecting records. I'm not sure I ever even bought one. For music, I'm fine with mp3's on a jumpdrive in my car usb port (thanks Toyota!), on my computer, or on a microsd card plugged in my bluetooth speaker/radio/musicplayer. I have a brother that's been into records his whole life and if you've ever moved someone that has records... you know that even a small square box full of records is heavy as hell. Then you get into moving a dozen or more of them and it's like "I never want to ever have anything like this". Then you go home and look at your physical game collection and justify it as they are all much lighter in a box than records. Meanwhile the majority of gamers have moved on to digital. Everything changes, enjoy what you like. If it's old movies on vhs, records, tapes, cds, game cartridges, laserdisc, 8 track, ... whatever... just enjoy life.

I am always out looking for stuff. So, I have collected a lot of vintage high end stereo equipment. I have working cassette decks. You usually just have to replace the belts in a cassette deck to bring it back to life, not easy to do, a lot of disassembly is required. I also have reel to reel decks! I have hundreds of records, my dad has tens of thousands of records, we have a lot of working turntables. Cheap turntables are not going to give you good sound quality and they will eventually damage your records. I don't have a VCR anymore, I do see tons of them, the only thing I would want for it is the unedited original Star Wars trilogy.

I don't have a VCR, but I have considered getting one of those cheap, small CRT's that usually have one built in (..but probably with no intention of actually using the VCR part)

VCR/VHS is some decent social nostalgia for me. I could stay up later than my friend and watch the The Brak Show, I'd record while I watched and give them the VHS the next day. CD-R's and then USB sticks made that a lot easier later on though.
OMG The Brak Show was so weird. It was one of those OG Adult Swim shows that made you feel like you were on something. I remember when I was really little, my parents and I woke up super early to go to Sesame Place, I think, and while we were eating breakfast, Space Ghost Coast to Coast came on and my mother and I were hysterical laughing at it. During the car ride later, she and I kept sticking our bottom teeth out at each other to do Brak face lol

I remember when I was really little... Space Ghost Coast to Coast came on
matt damon waiting GIF

I mean, who could resist those flowing locks.

Edit: In all seriousness, and I didn't watch the video, if it was unwanted, I hope the employee is OK.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back