Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Is this the only opportunity to get this? I'm interested in a physical version for PS4 for sure... but would prefer a regular case at $25-30, not a collector's box with PC version and a bunch of other kickstarter doodads for more than double that price.
I believe LRG will also release a version of their own through their store, but the KS will have the exclusive version.

Also, just an fyi, but there will be some extra copies of Skullgirls 2nd Encore LE available on LRG once they've fulfilled most of the pre-orders, and of course after they figure out how many of that stock they will need to use to replace damaged copies, and what not.  No actual timetable for that yet of course since we don't even have a timetable for the game yet, but for those who are interested in grabbing one after missing out on the pre-order.

Also, just an fyi, but there will be some extra copies of Skullgirls 2nd Encore LE available on LRG once they've fulfilled most of the pre-orders, and of course after they figure out how many of that stock they will need to use to replace damaged copies, and what not. No actual timetable for that yet of course since we don't even have a timetable for the game yet, but for those who are interested in grabbing one after missing out on the pre-order.
I kind of expected that since they did allow some orders to be canceled. And lets face it, they will have no problem selling them anyway.

I have a full set so far but I know my streak is going to end eventually. I know I won't play the swindle. I'm so back and forth on what I wanna do here. It's driving me nuts lol.

I have a full set so far but I know my streak is going to end eventually. I know I won't play the swindle. I'm so back and forth on what I wanna do here. It's driving me nuts lol.
I made that decision with Aqua Kitty DX. Swindle looks neat, but I don't think that one is for me either. Hoping that the PS4 games ends up being Darius Burst though because that is a game I legitimately want.

Choose a platform and buy all of those releases and only buy the unique titles for the other platform(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I've been going through the same thing lately. My collection is perfect right now, but especially with all the KS variants I know it is coming to an end. I'm torn between just collecting for one platform or just start cherry picking the titles I really want to collect/play. In the meantime, I just keep buying them all till I decide lol.

Yep I've been going through the same thing lately. My collection is perfect right now, but especially with all the KS variants I know it is coming to an end. I'm torn between just collecting for one platform or just start cherry picking the titles I really want to collect/play. In the meantime, I just keep buying them all till I decide lol.
I'll buy Breach and Clear vita and Oddworld New N Tasty Vita off of you :)

Also, just an fyi, but there will be some extra copies of Skullgirls 2nd Encore LE available on LRG once they've fulfilled most of the pre-orders, and of course after they figure out how many of that stock they will need to use to replace damaged copies, and what not. No actual timetable for that yet of course since we don't even have a timetable for the game yet, but for those who are interested in grabbing one after missing out on the pre-order.
I'm interested in a vita copy. :D

i think LRG should do like a fan vote on what games should try to bring out.
Unfortunately it is ultimately up to the developers. I already know if we ran a vote, the top picks would be Axiom Verge, Bastion, Transistor, Grim Fandango, Yakuza 5, etc. - we haven't been making a conscious effort to avoid those games. We've tried.

We've got a lot of really exciting stuff coming. I just did a mockup for another SHMUP today. We have *two* Japanese Vita games coming. Even if you're in the camp that doesn't feel like Dear Esther is a good game, it's historically significant. It's the first game from a major player in indie development and it's the progenitor of its genre. Regardless of your feelings on "Walking Simulators" - and I don't like that term - this is a game that absolutely deserves preservation.

not feeling this weeks titles based on the trailers so i'll have to pass. however very interested in that kickstarter game though it looks like physicals for the ps4 are gone :(

Does anyone know what's the limit on The Swindle? 2 per customer?
I would assume it's one per platform given the quantity, but they haven't really specified.
They're still trying to figure it out.

They've been trying to weigh all of the feedback, and decide what they want to do for that release.

It was one initially, but they're still going to think it over a bit before the release.

Honestly, I've been fine with the two in the morning, and one in the afternoon deal even though it was more out of necessity, rather than planned.

Personally I would be fine if they just did that for all of the releases. :D

I was in the same boat. Now I only buy the ps4 ones of games I want to play since I don't do digital unless it's part of ps+ or really damn cheap.

Sadly Im still committed to vita. I started with breach and clear with the intention of playing them and I kept getting the others and never got around to opening them so after 6 or 7 I didn't want to open them but I keep buying them. Except xeodrifter, I had to buy it used off ebay since I missed it and couldn't afford new price on ebay. Least I have the cards and stickers though for all.

But I got firewatch and I'll get dear Esther since I do want to play them on ps4. Here on out ps4 is only what I want to actually play.

Honest question. Was anybody really asking for Aqua Kitty to have a physical release? I don't see how the resources that went towards it was worth it.

Honest question. Was anybody really asking for Aqua Kitty to have a physical release? I don't see how the resources that went towards it was worth it.
Not all of the releases are necessarily things that have been asked for in a physical form by the fans.

While LRG takes it into consideration in their decision to reach out to certain developers, they also have developers who approach them to see if they want to form the partnership for the release.

It clearly seems like it was worth it though, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. :p

Considering it sold out in a few minutes, I would say yes.
That has nothing to do with quality. It's sheer collectibility. They could release Black Tiger and manufacture 1,500 copies and it would sell out. It's about the limited quantity and not the game. Which is why they clould have done nearly ANYTHING else.

That has nothing to do with quality. It's sheer collectibility. They could release Black Tiger and manufacture 1,500 copies and it would sell out. It's about the limited quantity and not the game.
That wasn't your initial question though.

You asked if it was "worth it", which can easily be interpreted as monetary value.

That wasn't your initial question though.

You asked if it was "worth it", which can easily be interpreted as monetary value.
No it's not. Read it again. I asked if anyone was asking for it. What is the point of doing it if nobody really cares about the product and just their potential return?

That has nothing to do with quality. It's sheer collectibility. They could release Black Tiger and manufacture 1,500 copies and it would sell out. It's about the limited quantity and not the game. Which is why they clould have done nearly ANYTHING else.
I didn't "ask" for it, as until LRG came along, there wasn't much chance of most digital only games getting a physical release. But any game I own digitally, I bought because I like or had interest in it. I actually owned both versions of Aqua Kitty on the Vita.

So to answer the original question, I would like to have every digital game I own in a physical form, as my digital games can become unusable at some point, and since my memory card is full, and I don't wish to corrupt it by switching games back & forth, physical is my preferred medium, and always will be.

No it's not. Read it again. I asked if anyone was asking for it. What is the point of doing it if nobody really cares about the product and just their potential return?
I think you should read above, where I already answered you.

I just found it confusing that you followed up with something that had not been implied in your original statement.

Talking about "resources" and whether or not it was "worth it" does not even closely imply you were speaking to the quality of the game, and can only be thought of as talking about monetary value. If that's not what you were trying to say, then do it better, and clarify it rather than be on the defense when someone gives you a valid answer to your question.

Don't get snappy at us just because you are unclear.

In response to your actual question; is this really a quality game that should have been released physically and they should be proud of? Maybe, maybe not. However, they're not just releasing this games to be artistic, or appeasing the masses, but releasing them to make money, and in the end that's all that really matters, particularly if the game sells out. While quality is just one of their concerns, it's not their only concern. Appeasing to you isn't their only concern, but to the people that constantly buys all of their games.

Well it sold out so it was worth it to LRG if no one else.

And just because you didn't want it doesn't mean others didn't, it's not hard to figure out that other people like stuff you don't. Does this mean every single game, movie, book, tv show, comic ever made you have no interest in boggles your mind on how they were worth the resources because it wasn't something you personally asked to be made?

There is way too much to life to even bother being pissy about 1 video game being released.

I actually open my LRG games and play them, because like many other people here I simply prefer physical media. Aqua Kitty was a great game and I'm happy I bought it. Just like the Oddworld games, or Xeodrifter, Soldner, Rainbow Moon, Dragon Fantasy, Volume, Lone Survivor and so on. LRG has a long track record of working with high quality games. It doesn't mean that you'll personally like all of them, or that you personally care about physical games, but they've managed to find their own niche in the gaming community. And there are many of us who are happy to have them around.

I love Aqua Kitty, fantastic little Defender clone (bought one for each platform). It's actually a great title for an LRG release, being an arcade game with lots of replayability. And the cover artwork is fantastic.

I believe Doomstink stated previously that Aqua Kitty DX was one of the personal favorites that he wanted to see a physical release for so that probably drove them to do it.  Seems like a lot of other people agreed with that assessment.  I do think they underestimated a little bit on the totals as it could have easily sold another 500 or so copies for each platform.

I also bought the Vita and PS4 copies of Aqua Kitty. I love cute things, I love pixel-art, and I love cats. I don't see what the issue is.

Games that are smaller in scope are not in any way less deserving of a physical release. Some of us are older, and remember the days when arcade-style experiences were the norm. Aqua Kitty is a callback to that kind of design.

@ Doomstink - Can you do more pre-order games like you did with Skullgirls/Kickstarter games or how Gaijinworks puts out their commitment to buy surveys? I have not been able to order any of the LRG games I wanted since Shantae and that is not because I am not trying. I log in early and everything. I hate how these have become Amiibo where you have to hope and pray your click is faster than someone else's click.

I like your sentiment that these games should be preserved beyond digital, but I don't think this lottery style feeling from purchasing from LRG matches with that. I think everyone would win if it worked more like Gaijinworks: everyone gets what they want and there is still a small print run.

Maybe tomorrow will be different?

@ Doomstink - Can you do more pre-order games like you did with Skullgirls/Kickstarter games or how Gaijinworks puts out their commitment to buy surveys? I have not been able to order any of the LRG games I wanted since Shantae and that is not because I am not trying. I log in early and everything. I hate how these have become Amiibo where you have to hope and pray your click is faster than someone else's click.

I like your sentiment that these games should be preserved beyond digital, but I don't think this lottery style feeling from purchasing from LRG matches with that. I think everyone would win if it worked more like Gaijinworks: everyone gets what they want and there is still a small print run.

They have explained many, many times why they don't like preorders and frankly, Gaijinworks is the epitome of bad preorder practices. As others have pointed out, after the Skullgirls and SIlver Case experiences, I expect preorders will be rare in the future. As an aside, there have been several releases since Shantae that didn't sell out immediately, especially in the second batch. It makes me question how hard you are really trying if you literally haven't been able to buy a single release since then.

Yeah, I'm not sure that basing your position off Gaijinworks is a good way to make them want to do pre-orders.

Have you actually been keeping up with what they've been doing over the years, or is that just a name you pulled out of your hat just for the sake of an argument?

Have you actually been keeping up with what they've been doing over the years, or is that just a name you pulled out of your hat just for the sake of an argument?
Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

As an aside, there have been several releases since Shantae that didn't sell out immediately, especially in the second batch. It makes me question how hard you are really trying if you literally haven't been able to buy a single release since then.
I don't agree with any of this. Not everyone can be at their computers/phones at 10am/6pm during the week to order a game that will sell out within a minute or a few minutes in some cases. Even those that could still had their carts emptied in the middle of checkout, myself included. A lot more people have become aware of LRG since the early days and want them. Also consider the people that frequent places like slickdeals that will buy these games just to scalp. Even though a few on this thread were knocking games like Aqua Kitty and Dear Esther, they will most likely rise in value and these scalpers know it/take advantage of it.

I don't agree with any of this. Not everyone can be at their computers/phones at 10am/6pm during the week to order a game that will sell out within a minute or a few minutes in some cases. Even those that could still had their carts emptied in the middle of checkout, myself included. A lot more people have become aware of LRG since the early days and want them. Also consider the people that frequent places like slickdeals that will buy these games just to scalp. Even though a few on this thread were knocking games like Aqua Kitty and Dear Esther, they will most likely rise in value and these scalpers know it/take advantage of it.
That wasn't my point at all. Sure, there have been a number of LRG games before and after Shantae that have sold out instantly. There have also been games like Stealth Inc. that took an entire long weekend to sell out after Shantae was released. Similarly, there have been other releases that have lasted several hours in the second batch. I get that people are busy and like any limited item, these things are in demand and aren't always easy to get, but it's just ridiculous to say that every game since Shantae has been impossible to get as it just isn't true.

bread's done
Back