Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
They did kind of a bad job naming the Bloodstained games.  This confusion happens all the time and even to me on occasion.  Usually I just go look up screen shots to make sure I'm talking about the right one.  In this case the context was clear that he was talking about getting the prequel that has the 8bit style graphics since the other one isn't out.  They should have just called the main game Bloodstained and then the other one Bloodstained Zero or Prime.. or better yet not made it a separate physical release but bundled it into the main game.  Yeah, that last one.

It's a similar naming scheme as Castlevania, but not so established that we can just gloss over the franchise name and focus on the entry name (SOTN, Portrait of Ruin, etc.). I still refer to them as "Bloodstained" and "that 8-bit Bloodstained."

There are now listings for the House in Fata Morgana on the LRG website, preorders start 5/31.  PS4/Vita standard is $49.99 and CE is $84.99.

There are now listings for the House in Fata Morgana on the LRG website, preorders start 5/31. PS4/Vita standard is $49.99 and CE is $84.99.
giphy.gif

All of makings of what most people claimed they wanted in a CE for Fata Morgana:

Good game - check

OST - check

artbook - check

small premium over standard - check

still expensive - check

Fully expect everyone here to try and get the CE now. with no complaints /s

All of makings of what most people claimed they wanted in a CE for Fata Morgana:

Good game - check

OST - check

artbook - check

small premium over standard - check

still expensive - check

Fully expect everyone here to try and get the CE now. with no complaints /s
I probably will, even though it's a VN.

And while we're talking about desired CE contents, I'll go ahead and slam that Dragon's Lair CE again since it has made a reappearance for the Switch. That thing is such a disappointment. A laserdisc styled box to house a fake laserdisc picture on a sleeve that houses a folded poster, papercraft, and a few art cards. Once again, it's a box (and it makes a sound! For now...) that is the big draw. If anything screamed for an art book.... I know they take what they can get, but apparently so do LRG collectors. I'm sure it will sell out again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The collector in me wants to get it but $50 is a lot for a vita game. Is there any reason they charge so much on their VNs? Nurse love was the same thing.
The nurse love games retailed for $39.99 on psn so that was priced per their +$10 to retail pricing rule. Since THIFM hasn't officially released in the west yet, it's possible retail on this for digital is also going to be $39.99.

The nurse love games retailed for $39.99 on psn so that was priced per their +$10 to retail pricing rule. Since THIFM hasn't officially released in the west yet, it's possible retail on this for digital is also going to be $39.99.
Yes, according to the LRG Twitter, the MSRP for the digital version will be $39.99 upon release.

Is there any reason they charge so much on their VNs?
You see this phenomenon occasionally. It especially crops up around more obscure Japanese games. The digital versions of these games are literally more expensive than most other standard digital games. The LRG pricing is consistent with how they usually encourage their development partners to charge for their games, its just that the developers have been consistently charging more for their digital equivalents.

These seemingly boosted prices most often seem to be for Japanese developed games, and also seem to commonly crop up for the Visual Novel and SHMUP genres.

I thought they've always put limits on the vita games?

That London Detective Mysteria game seems pretty meh in comparison to THIFM, might skip that one.

Also loving the artwork on the standard copy of THIFM

I thought they've always put limits on the vita games?

That London Detective Mysteria game seems pretty meh in comparison to THIFM, might skip that one.

Also loving the artwork on the standard copy of THIFM
They have. It was likely just placeholder text anyway, but Josh mentioned on the fireside chat a few months ago that they don't really make the final limit decision until the day before once they have seen how much buzz there is on social media. If there is a lot of activity, they know it will be a quick seller and will set the limit appropriately.

The collector in me wants to get it but $50 is a lot for a vita game. Is there any reason they charge so much on their VNs? Nurse love was the same thing.
from LRG twitter

For anyone wondering - this release includes THREE games in one (plus additional short stories): The House in Fata Morgana, A Requiem for Innocence (a prequel), and Reincarnation (a sequel).

Oh 3 games. I've played about 3 or so hours of THIFM. It's an excellent game with a more non traditional story. I will pick that up and likely the other cause VNs I guess haha.

I've already got Fata Morgana on steam so I'm going to hold out for a Switch version. It's gotta be coming at some point.

With the Vita gravy train ending (good riddance) and multiple companies upset they wont get to keep milking free money from Vita collectors indefinitely, I wont be surprised to see more $50 Vita games throughout the year to make up for it.  Should be an entertaining excuse list at least.

With the Vita gravy train ending (good riddance) and multiple companies upset they wont get to keep milking free money from Vita collectors indefinitely, I wont be surprised to see more $50 Vita games throughout the year to make up for it. Should be an entertaining excuse list at least.
I mean, its not really a hidden formula, the $50 price is due to the high price of the digital version. If they started to charge $50 for a $19.99 or even $29.99 digital title, then I would say some definite price gouging is going on.

I mean, its not really a hidden formula, the $50 price is due to the high price of the digital version. If they started to charge $50 for a $19.99 or even $29.99 digital title, then I would say some definite price gouging is going on.
Yeah, history shows how this has worked for years, and outside of these few VN that have already been shown to be this high, all others have stayed at $25-$30. I'm beyond not worried about this being an issue for standard games, but I do expect more like this due to probably having more VN coming in this last cycle of releases.

If anything it's price fixing as the Dev set the MSRP that LRG uses to throw the $10 LRG tax on. So the dev just sets the digital price high, LRG charges more, and then the Dev can drop the price in a "Sale" to maximize profits. It's a nice racket for them.

Thank goodness the vita is nearly over. I've never wanted to see a system die that I loved until the Vita. The Dreamcast came close with the third party releases after the DC's death... but thankfully they were mostly cd based shmups which were easy for me to resist.

If anything it's price fixing as the Dev set the MSRP that LRG uses to throw the $10 LRG tax on. So the dev just sets the digital price high, LRG charges more, and then the Dev can drop the price in a "Sale" to maximize profits. It's a nice racket for them.

Thank goodness the vita is nearly over. I've never wanted to see a system die that I loved until the Vita. The Dreamcast came close with the third party releases after the DC's death... but thankfully they were mostly cd based shmups which were easy for me to resist.
The problem with your theory is that once again it's not supported by the facts. Nurse Love has been sitting on PSN at MSRP digitally for quite a while. I'm sure Fata Morgana will as well. It's a very niche market and sales aren't likely to prompt random purchases like they will in other genres. You claim that you don't even buy LRG games, so why do you care if they keep releasing Vita games for five minutes or the next ten years?

Anyone have any guesses as to how long Tharsis will last in stock?  I want it to last until next Friday so I can make one big order then, but I highly doubt it will considering the 1500 print size with no order restrictions.

Anyone have any guesses as to how long Tharsis will last in stock? I want it to last until next Friday so I can make one big order then, but I highly doubt it will considering the 1500 print size with no order restrictions.
by the end of the day or by sunday the latest

Anyone have any guesses as to how long Tharsis will last in stock? I want it to last until next Friday so I can make one big order then, but I highly doubt it will considering the 1500 print size with no order restrictions.
that's taking a huge risk considering the small print.

You claim that you don't even buy LRG games, so why do you care if they keep releasing Vita games for five minutes or the next ten years?
I have quite a few games LRG has published with my last purchase being Golf Story and my first being Breach & Clear on the vita.

As of the moment, I have no plans to buy any more physical vita games, but that could easily change if one of my major wishlist games was announced. Once the rest of the physical releases are known, it'll be more clear if I'm fully done or not. Hopefully LRG's E3 presentation will reveal what's yet to come for the Vita.

I still plan to buy Switch games, though I've gotten very picky about what I buy in general, but I'm not against shopping with any company at this time. If someone has a game I legit want to buy/play/collect, I'm there if the price is within what I think the experience is worth.

I am more picky about physical releases. When indie games get super cheap on PSN or Steam or Nintendo EShop or whatever I will likely get them. Paying full price for physical limited releases means I need to be more picky. My last Switch one was Toejam and Earl and I support VNs so will get both Vita games. BTW the last Nurse Love Vita LE was extremely lackluster. It has a tiny LE which was overpriced for what was in there. I expected something similar to the previous games LE, which was very good. At least it wont take up much more space than the cart itself.

Never seen the industry in such a state of panic and haste and even vitriol between publishers over who wasted or hoarded carts or deserves them more, etc. All just to get every possible mobile and Adobe flash grade game nobody asked for already physical on half a dozen other superior platforms rushed to production on a console that has been discontinued for 4 years.

Cant image why or who the target audience  is.

$_$ $_$ $_$ $_$ $_$

Bye Felicia. Good Riddance. 

I have quite a few games LRG has published with my last purchase being Golf Story and my first being Breach & Clear on the vita.

As of the moment, I have no plans to buy any more physical vita games, but that could easily change if one of my major wishlist games was announced. Once the rest of the physical releases are known, it'll be more clear if I'm fully done or not. Hopefully LRG's E3 presentation will reveal what's yet to come for the Vita.

I still plan to buy Switch games, though I've gotten very picky about what I buy in general, but I'm not against shopping with any company at this time. If someone has a game I legit want to buy/play/collect, I'm there if the price is within what I think the experience is worth.
This is completely contradictory to what you just posted. If you might be interested in some future releases, why would you wish that the Vita would die already? You also didn't address your baseless smear that somehow the pricing of the various visual novels was a "racket". It's plainly not supported by actual verifiable evidence.

Never seen the industry in such a state of panic and haste and even vitriol between publishers over who wasted or hoarded carts or deserves them more, etc. All just to get every possible digital and Adobe flash game nobody asked for already physical on half a dozen other superior platforms rushed to production on a console that has been discontinued for 4 years.

$_$ $_$ $_$ $_$ $_$
While I realize this is just flowing from your OCD, there have been quite a few Vita releases recently and more that are coming that are legitimately great games from almost all of the publishers, including many that have been on wish lists for years. Maybe if you had a healthier relationship with your hoarding, you would be able to see that.

While I realize this is just flowing from your OCD, there have been quite a few Vita releases recently and more that are coming that are legitimately great games from almost all of the publishers, including many that have been on wish lists for years. Maybe if you had a healthier relationship with your hoarding, you would be able to see that.
Bye Felicia.

This is completely contradictory to what you just posted. If you might be interested in some future releases, why would you wish that the Vita would die already? You also didn't address your baseless smear that somehow the pricing of the various visual novels was a "racket". It's plainly not supported by actual verifiable evidence.
If the vita died or the release list was known already, then I wouldn't have to pay such close attention to these weekly releases. It's a pain in my ass to have to pay attention to the releases every week when so few games come out that I legit want. I hate wasting my time on stuff I don't enjoy just because something I do enjoy could get revealed. My motives are as a gamer, not a representative of the company... so it may be hard to comprehend.

The dev controls the MSRP and LRG (along with the Dev) conveniently uses the devs digital MSRP to up mark games another $10. It's a racket as it's price fixing and it's paid off well. Not just for VN's but digital titles that have been free or on sale quite often for as little as $1. I'm all for paying a fair price for a game, but VN's aren't my think and the price point insures my curiosity was cured with the few VN's I already bought for the Vita.

It's probably hard as a business to have the term racket or price fixing associated, but it's not an attack. It's just what it is and they detailed how they price so it's not on me that they came up with such an arbitrary rule. I'm just the past and potent current customer.

If the vita died or the release list was known already, then I wouldn't have to pay such close attention to these weekly releases. It's a pain in my ass to have to pay attention to the releases every week when so few games come out that I legit want. I hate wasting my time on stuff I don't enjoy just because something I do enjoy could get revealed. My motives are as a gamer, not a representative of the company... so it may be hard to comprehend.

The dev controls the MSRP and LRG (along with the Dev) conveniently uses the devs digital MSRP to up mark games another $10. It's a racket as it's price fixing and it's paid off well. Not just for VN's but digital titles that have been free or on sale quite often for as little as $1. I'm all for paying a fair price for a game, but VN's aren't my think and the price point insures my curiosity was cured with the few VN's I already bought for the Vita.

It's probably hard as a business to have the term racket or price fixing associated, but it's not an attack. It's just what it is and they detailed how they price so it's not on me that they came up with such an arbitrary rule. I'm just the past and potent current customer.
So you’re saying that if a game has gone on sale for $1, then the physical release should be $1?

I don’t see how marking a game up from the digital MSRP is an arbitrary rule. They stated from the beginning that they wanted the dev to get the same cut they would get from a digital sale. LRG is a for profit company, so they need to get a cut somewhere. They have to charge more for the work that they do.

It's probably hard as a business to have the term racket or price fixing associated, but it's not an attack.
It kind of is, though. Price fixing is an illegal, monopolistic practice. But that's not what's actually happening here. As you already pointed out, quite a few of these games are already being priced much lower or given away for free by other companies. (competition) And even the prices they are setting on the games in question aren't particularly unreasonable, especially given the fact that they are producing a physical product, and not simply toggling a switch on an on-line system. (which requires no additional overhead)

Expecting them to adjust their pricing for digital sales is ridiculous. Expecting them to adjust their pricing due to free releases on PSN, Steam, or the Epic Store is equally ridiculous. Your entire complaint is simply about your own inconvenience, and your own obsession. Essentially, you are the biggest problem in this equation. There's nothing particularly wrong with LRG, or the developers they're working with. It's just that you personally feel like complaining about your own individual obsession, and the inconvenience you are experiencing.

This is the internet, you are welcome to whine about this sort of thing. Everyone needs to vent every now and then. But at least own it, instead of accusing other people of monopolistic practices.

Typically VNs and SHMUPs are niche titles, therefore making developers and publishers have to charge more in order to recoup development costs, plus make some profit. Charging $10 more in order to put out a physical product is entirely reasonable since various entities have to turn out a profit. Otherwise these games would never even be offered physically since there would be no incentive to make and sell them. Furthermore, this is just basic economics. If they charge a certain price and consumers are more than willing to pay that price then it's a win-win. Honestly, LRG could actually pull shenanigans and price the remaining Vita titles much higher since Vita set completionists would pay pretty much whatever LRG asks in order to complete their Vita sets. Rabid VN and SHMUP fans would easily pay more than what is being asked for quality VNs and SHMUPs on Vita. LRG are not doing that, though. They are abiding for the most part to their original policy on pricing, and Vita games are selling out within a minute or two, release after release. I have made criticisms of LRG, but I give them credit on how they have priced Vita titles over the past few months, knowing full well they are leaving money on the table in order to be consumer friendly while trying to stick to their original policy on pricing.

the guy is so wrapped up in conspiracy theories, he doesn't recognized the irony of his being here

12/10 one of the people you would see on those cable tv docu-series

I just dont see how you can be upset about other people taking carts away and not being able to "preserve" games physically, but then get more allocation and immediately proceed to produce cover variants of games already "preserved" physically on Vita or low effort chopped up forklifts of games already "preserved" physically on multiple other superior platforms. 

Simple. It was never about preserving games or doing fans any favors.  Just drop with the false pretense.  Everybody knows why physical Vita releases are coveted by these companies lately: it was an infinite money printing gold mine of guaranteed sell outs of literally any game title of any type or quality, to the all in sunk cost collector base and those who have been perpetually holding on just a little bit longer for the light at the end of the tunnel.

But finally that tunnel cant be extended anymore, good riddance.  I've never seen a platform that used to be so loved and attainable for niche collectors become so unattainable, controversial, and reviled and so tiring and abusive that so many people are now just bitter and wishing for it to end.  

I think "coveted" is a strong word. We all know that it is artificial demand being created by scarcity. And many of the companies still looking to release Vita games are most likely going to start leaning toward titles that will sell for a higher price. They don't charge you extra per cartridge based on what game you're putting on there. These aren't the days of SNES cartridges where some games straight-up required additional memory. It's not that much of a surprise to see some of the "last" Vita titles be Visual novels and SHMUPs that frequently have more expensive digital versions. The developers and publishers are going to see higher overall profits from those titles. I don't see anything altruistic in this, just opportunity.

But then, I'm not looking to get complete collections of anything, so I don't feel the need to have everything on Vita. I've skipped several of the recent Vita release and felt no regret. It does help that the Switch is a solid alternative.

Yeah I imagine people who were duped into chasing a Vita ESRB library, when it was a easy 100 titles or so at the point it was officially removed from retailers over 4 years ago, may not have started at all had they known in advance the rabbit hole it would become tripling in size and all mostly high resell limited releases.

It's a difficult thing to walk away from after the fact when you have years and thousands of dollars sunk into it and are always 99.99% there up until *sigh* yet another release.  Which is EXACTLY why everyone in the business of exploiting collectors is foaming at the mouth over the Vita cart situation.  The free money is going away.

Most of us will be happy to dump the mental and financial load of Vita tracking and collecting, and consolidate and reroute those efforts into just one or two current and relevant platforms FINALLY.  Most of the Vita stuff is just going for the free double dip of stuff that is or will be ported to Switch anyway.

So you’re saying that if a game has gone on sale for $1, then the physical release should be $1?

I don’t see how marking a game up from the digital MSRP is an arbitrary rule. They stated from the beginning that they wanted the dev to get the same cut they would get from a digital sale. LRG is a for profit company, so they need to get a cut somewhere. They have to charge more for the work that they do.
It’s an arbitrary rule because they made it up. But it’s their prerogative. Accept it and buy what you want.

I’m not saying they should sell them at a dollar. That’s putting words to screen that I never said. What I am saying is if the game has an msrp on vita as $25 but it’s regularly on sale for $1 on the same platform then it’s price fixing to charge $35 for the physical version. Of course for a new release this is less sketchy and not sketchy at all for the games that never have sales. A more clear example would be all those curve digital titles. They were fine making less than a buck profit on the digital sale but want a nice markup for the physical when most of these games could never sell at retail with these prices.

I think there’s a fair price for physical release of even cheap digital games. It’s probably $20. For these higher price games they should do them like retail switch games and make them the same price.

It’s an arbitrary rule because they made it up. But it’s their prerogative. Accept it and buy what you want.

I’m not saying they should sell them at a dollar. That’s putting words to screen that I never said. What I am saying is if the game has an msrp on vita as $25 but it’s regularly on sale for $1 on the same platform then it’s price fixing to charge $35 for the physical version. Of course for a new release this is less sketchy and not sketchy at all for the games that never have sales. A more clear example would be all those curve digital titles. They were fine making less than a buck profit on the digital sale but want a nice markup for the physical when most of these games could never sell at retail with these prices.

I think there’s a fair price for physical release of even cheap digital games. It’s probably $20. For these higher price games they should do them like retail switch games and make them the same price.
The collector market is like the oil market, normal supply and demand rules do not apply when there is inelastic demand to be exploited and you know it's going to sell out at any price to at least 1500 Vita collectors.

If you’re going to just be stubborn and pretend you don’t understand, I don’t know what else to say. MSRP + LRG cost is pretty straight forward. I think you just need to get the stick out of your ass, have a drink, and move on.

You’ve bashed LRG since inception. Why would it change now.

bread's done
Back