Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
It PC tho... LRG used to mean limited copies, now for the first time it really means limited run (not necessarily limited quantities, depending on preorder demand within two weeks or so).

Didn't you guys argue the shit out of preorder model or something like that? You got what you wished for...
This is a direct pre-order to buy a game and they'll produce whatever many copies necessary. We argued for/against paying $30 membership fee to get early access to a pre-order for a limited run of a game (wherein, theoretically, memberships could exceed copies produced).

I can understand why they're doing Silver Case via pre-orders instead of set runs:

1. Silver Case is a remaster of a obscure Japanese release on PC, not some recent digital release of a game with some type of following.

2. There's no production restrictions for PC games. They can produce 1,729 copies of the game if they want... not just increments of 1,500.

Neither way of doing things is perfect, and I do like LRG's standard releases of set runs. But it's not like this way, for this one release is completely unreasonable. And plus, if people don't like this method and don't buy it, then that means fewer copies will be made and it'll be rarer.;)

The weird thing is, and I knew this all along, speculators will tend to sit out on preorders and not buy in. Ultimately that means most copies will go to "forever homes" and secondary market prices will be high as a result.

We will likely sell less via preorders than we could have with the perfect set run size, but that's OK. The PC stuff isn't a money grab or some ill-thought attempt to make more "moolah". It's a case of Grasshopper Manufacture wanting to work with us specifically and no one else. I'm not stupid. Who would say no to working with Suda51 when he is requesting it? I'm a fan of his work and even though I know this won't be particularly lucrative I really wanted to work with him.

Our PlayStation releases will continue as is without preorders. I'm not perfect at guaging print runs so the excitement and urgency of those releases will never leave. Any PC games will be on open preorder, though. It just works better that way - they're expensive to piece together and over printing could be a death knell. But, as I said earlier, we don't plan to do tons of PC releases. We're just going to focus on heavy hitters when/if we do more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and I forgot the real reason I came to post:

Our release will come with Steam keys for the more expensive DX version.

This is important. :)

We will likely sell less via preorders than we could have with the perfect set run size, but that's OK. The PC stuff isn't a money grab or some ill-thought attempt to make more "moolah". It's a case of Grasshopper Manufacture wanting to work with us specifically and no one else. I'm not stupid. Who would say no to working with Suda51 when he is requesting it? I'm a fan of his work and even though I know this won't be particularly lucrative I really wanted to work with him.
So Suda came to you guys.... interesting. I was wondering how the whole thing came about. Honestly I love it. I've got pretty much all of Grasshopper's (US) releases so adding this to my collection was a no brainer. That's probably pretty true though. Since it isn't exactly limited in quantities resellers may actually sit out on this where as most buying it will probably be people like me, who are just stoked to own it.

On a somewhat related note, I've only met Suda once but he was a fucking super awesome dude and it was a blast hanging out with him, even if it was only for the 5 or 10 minutes I had. I was always going to buy the US release of TSC but I'm really really glad you guys are doing a physical run of it. Now all that's needed is for you guys to do a physical run of their upcoming free-to-play Let It Die. I'd pay for a physical copy of that free game.

Jumped on this 100% because of Suda. :)

Also I purposely limited myself early on to only getting the games I want because I didn't want to fall into the money sink of trying to buy them all. Problem is they are picking fewer that I *don't* want these days! :p Guess that's just a testament to their good taste as well as their ability to snag bigger & better titles as they grow. 

Yay, finally another LRG game I want. Suda rules.

I didn't know Silver Case was even getting a US/Eng release. Now for a US release of Michigan: Report From Hell!

The Shantae listings are up, but I'm sadface because it's not until the end of the month.

I have to stare at them for another 3+ weeks of not being able to buy them.

T______________________________________________________________________________T

The Shantae listings are up, but I'm sadface because it's not until the end of the month.

T______________________________________________________________________________T
I still wish these games got a Vita release... would look great on the OLED Vita screen.

Oh well, at least it's limited to 2 per person. Def double dipping here.

I love Shantae, glad that by the end of the year there will be physical copies of the entire series.  I also moved by Half-Genie Hero Pre-order from Vita to PS4 just to have the continuity.

I still wish these games got a Vita release... would look great on the OLED Vita screen.

Oh well, at least it's limited to 2 per person. Def double dipping here.
These are the only PS4 LRG games I'm picking up, so you don't have to tell me about the disappointment they're not on Vita. :*(

I'm glad that they're coming out at the end of the month. Gives my wallet some time to breathe. It's hard keeping up with releases, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Going to pass on The Silver Case. I wanted it when the DS port was happening, but I'd rather just spend $20 and get the vanilla version on steam.

I love Shantae, glad that by the end of the year there will be physical copies of the entire series. I also moved by Half-Genie Hero Pre-order from Vita to PS4 just to have the continuity.
Continuity for me is getting 1->3 digitally on my 3DS and 4 on my Vita since I'd rather have the series portable... and then getting Pirate's Curse physical on 3DS since it has that extra minigame that's not in the PS4 version.

I wish they'd port the other three games to vita remastering the first game in the process.

Yay, finally another LRG game I want. Suda rules.

I didn't know Silver Case was even getting a US/Eng release. Now for a US release of Michigan: Report From Hell!
I'm really really hoping that TSC sells well, so that they push for a US release of Michigan: Report From Hell. I remember playing an imported version years ago and thinking conceptually it was cool, but the lack of english made me quit playing. I'd love for a US remaster of it though.

not buying Suda games is basically a crime against humanity
I don't know if I'd go that far. Seems to me people either love his games or absolutely hate them. I love them. That said I do get the feeling people who skip on this will likely regret passing it up later on.

That said I do get the feeling people who skip on this will likely regret passing it up later on.
Ack why did you have to say that? I've been really on the fence with this one. On one hand I love Suda games and VNs. On the other hand, I have slowed down to a complete halt with pc gaming over the past year or two. So I'm pretty sure I won't even play it if I get it. It also doesn't help that I have every LRG release so far and my pokemon mentality is telling me to get this one too lol.

That said I do get the feeling people who skip on this will likely regret passing it up later on.
Phsyical VN copies are kind of hard to price. Some end up being worth a lot....some don't. They usually don't crash in price though. I somehow feel that the Muv Luv stuff from that Kickstarter will be worth a lot....just hard to tell. Generally physical copies of VNs are made for a little while and then not again. This case obviously will be made once. I really like that they give you a Steam key (Jast USA does this too when the game has a Steam release). You can think of that as a bonus and can sell the Steam Key if you want to as well. I do feel the same that people may regret it later, but who knows really.

Ack why did you have to say that? I've been really on the fence with this one. On one hand I love Suda games and VNs. On the other hand, I have slowed down to a complete halt with pc gaming over the past year or two. So I'm pretty sure I won't even play it if I get it. It also doesn't help that I have every LRG release so far and my pokemon mentality is telling me to get this one too lol.
How have you been slowing down to a complete halt with PC gaming when the last 2 years have been great for VNs. A lot of really good VNs have been coming to steam (Steins;Gate, Clannad, Root Double, The House in Fata Morgana, Muv Luv, and Zero Time Dilemma to name a few). This is like.. the best time to be apart of PC gaming if you like VNs lol.

I agree that some people will regret not getting The Silver Case. But then again I'd much rather collect a LE of a game I want than some random indie game that I don't care for (which is like 90% of the LRG releases up till now).

I don't know if I'd go that far. Seems to me people either love his games or absolutely hate them. I love them. That said I do get the feeling people who skip on this will likely regret passing it up later on.
Probably some will, but the game will be on steam for $20 standard / $30 Deluxe. Missing out on physical PC game won't stop someone from buying the game, getting it in their library, and playing it. Plus it'll be on GOG as well as I think other places. The masses have pretty much converted to digital for pc gaming and I don't think they'll be that bothered. Missing out on the vita version of Retro City Rampage meant something since the library is small... missing out on the PC version was missing out on a novelty item (and the prices on Ebay reflect this as well with the SNES box art style version selling for about $15).

That's not to discourage anyone from getting this bundle of the steam version with a physical copy. I love Suda51 games... and this one will be something I'm sure I'll enjoy (I plan on playing the demo later tonight to be sure of that). It's just a matter of if it fits in with your collection or not. If you are planning to make bank with it, it may work out but it is just as likely it'll end up like RCR.

Yeah as many people keep saying in a few threads games are bad investments. I agree wholeheartedly because stuff happens and stuff just becomes rare even if the games aren't too great. I may sell Breach & Clear myself since I really don't want that game, while I do want to play The Silver Case. The LRG games I've gotten have been middling tier games honestly (One Way, Saturday RPG, Breach). I honestly only get ones I would want to play, though Breach was an impulse purchase that i'll likely never play. 

I'm really really hoping that TSC sells well, so that they push for a US release of Michigan: Report From Hell. I remember playing an imported version years ago and thinking conceptually it was cool, but the lack of english made me quit playing. I'd love for a US remaster of it though.

I actually have a bit of both with Suda, where with some I don't actually like playing them but goddamn do I appreciate the artistry at work. I think that's my main thing, he's out there doing original stuff and one of the closest things games have to a true auteur. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but the results are never boring. And boring is the worst thing any art form can be.

I do think Let It Die will probably be a stinkeroo, though.

I some how refused to believe it until I saw the PS4 boxes. It had to be a typo, a misunderstanding. How can the two Shante games be split up into two physical copies, and NOT have a Vita version. I understand why the GBC port won't be included, but I thought that both of these games could easily be put on one disc, and both games on a Vita card (even if it was somehow limited to the Half Genie Hero Kickstarter).

I'm quite happy to own all the Shante games digitally to this date, but there is a special place in my heart for the games, especially because they are great portable games. (I would

I some how refused to believe it until I saw the PS4 boxes. It had to be a typo, a misunderstanding. How can the two Shante games be split up into two physical copies, and NOT have a Vita version. I understand why the GBC port won't be included, but I thought that both of these games could easily be put on one disc, and both games on a Vita card (even if it was somehow limited to the Half Genie Hero Kickstarter).

I'm quite happy to own all the Shante games digitally to this date, but there is a special place in my heart for the games, especially because they are great portable games. (I would <3Love<3 a physical double pack for Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango Remastered on the Vita)

Oh well. I guess on the bright side, this Nov I'll have more money to go towards the other Vita games that come out. (and maybe a "PS4 Noob" on Black Friday)
That's really not the LRG business model though. Each release gets a separate disc or cart and I doubt that's gonna change since to do so will require additional work to add menus and other functionality. Also, the two Shantae games getting a PS4 release have never had a Vita release. As such, unless a Vita conversion and release happens, it is unlikely LRG or anyone else will release physical versions.

I actually have a bit of both with Suda, where with some I don't actually like playing them but goddamn do I appreciate the artistry at work. I think that's my main thing, he's out there doing original stuff and one of the closest things games have to a true auteur. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but the results are never boring. And boring is the worst thing any art form can be.

I do think Let It Die will probably be a stinkeroo, though.
That is true and I think that's why I love their games so much. They're totally unique and when you play a Suda game you immediately know it's one of his games. I've pretty much enjoyed all of his games though. Shadows was probably my least favorite and honestly that's probably just because I split my play over up wayyy too long.

Also as someone who has played Let It Die.... it was really really fun. Played a bit more like a souls game than your typical Suda game but it definitely still felt like a Suda game at it's heart. It was incredibly entertaining and I would have loved to have played through that build a few more times. After completing the demo I spoke to Gung-Ho about it and they were pretty honest with that they didn't quite know how they were going to implement the whole micro-transaction system. If they go the "just cosmetics" route I'll be okay with that, but if they end up charging for more lives when you run out (in the demo I played you started with 3 lives, if you died all 3 times the demo just ended) or implementing some crazy time restrictions for that I'll be kinda bummed out and pissed. That could ruin the whole game.

BACK TO LRG THO I STILL CAN'T WAIT FOR TSC :)

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is also getting a physical copy on 3DS this month (but not from LRG) for those interested in getting that game but want it on a handheld.

I'm quite happy to own all the Shante games digitally to this date, but there is a special place in my heart for the games, especially because they are great portable games. (I would <3Love<3 a physical double pack for Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango Remastered on the Vita)

Oh well. I guess on the bright side, this Nov I'll have more money to go towards the other Vita games that come out. (and maybe a "PS4 Noob" on Black Friday)
It is because there is no Vita port of the 2 Shantae games. LRG can't release a physical version if a digital version doesn't exist.

Because businesses exist to make money? If they hold such a special place in your heart spend the extra $25 dollars. Its called Limited Run Games, not Unicef Games.

It is because there is no Vita port of the 2 Shantae games. LRG can't release a physical version if a digital version doesn't exist.
Well said. But that dude's comments are a testament to how big LRG is getting. You know, like how other big companies get complains that make no sense. I see people complain about Sony all the time when talking about the pricing on 3rd party games that they have no control over.

If they hold such a special place in your heart spend the extra $25 dollars.
Pirate's Curse is $30... still, for a mega fan that for whatever reason wants to own a physical copy... pony up the money or shut up.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is also getting a physical copy on 3DS this month (but not from LRG) for those interested in getting that game but want it on a handheld.
Yeah, got my copy preordered. $23.99 with Prime (currently on a free month of prime), no tax, free shipping... it makes for a solid deal. Even better than LRG's offering not just on price but also because the 3DS version includes Super Shantae Nab!!. So extra content as well.

There is no such thing as "easily" including two games on one disc or cartridge. Creating a launcher and getting it certified by Sony is a *TON* of work and it would ultimately just result in the developers making less money (as greedy as this sounds, the devs do need to make money). Don't expect any dual pack releases from us unless the devs want to do the work, which I don't expect to be common. We have a hard enough time getting some to do the small amount of work a single release requires.

Were the wrong steam keys sent out for The Silver Case? Mine didn't activate as the deluxe edition, and doesn't include any of the extra content.

Were the wrong steam keys sent out for The Silver Case? Mine didn't activate as the deluxe edition, and doesn't include any of the extra content.
I believe in the Neogaf forums they said Steam key worth $19.99...which is the regular version......

Quote:

The real breakdown should consider all the components:

- Full-color box with interior tray
- 22-page Manga
- DRM-Free Game on disc in it's own jewel case
- Steam key for Game ($20 value)
- Artbook
- Soundtrack on CD in it's own jewel case
- Two-piece fold out manual set spot-printed on silver and blue paper (these are similar to the original japanese PS1 manuals)
- Individually numbered holographic authenticity sticker (similar to the one on our Saturday Morning RPG vinyl)

If you consider the $20 Steam key, you can look at it as $30 for the physical goods and DRM-free game. It's a pretty good value, though I'm completely biased in that statement. :)

I believe in the Neogaf forums they said Steam key worth $19.99...which is the regular version......

Quote:

The real breakdown should consider all the components:

- Full-color box with interior tray
- 22-page Manga
- DRM-Free Game on disc in it's own jewel case
- Steam key for Game ($20 value)
- Artbook
- Soundtrack on CD in it's own jewel case
- Two-piece fold out manual set spot-printed on silver and blue paper (these are similar to the original japanese PS1 manuals)
- Individually numbered holographic authenticity sticker (similar to the one on our Saturday Morning RPG vinyl)

If you consider the $20 Steam key, you can look at it as $30 for the physical goods and DRM-free game. It's a pretty good value, though I'm completely biased in that statement. :)
It's been confirmed we'll be getting steam keys for the deluxe edition, they just received the wrong keys by mistake. They tweeted that the deluxe content keys will be sent out soon (probably a day or two).

I think you might have read too much into that neogaf guy's post btw.. I think he was saying he values the steam key as $20 and the physical extras as $30, not that the steam key itself is actually priced at $20 lol.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/784405323117395969

There is no such thing as "easily" including two games on one disc or cartridge. Creating a launcher and getting it certified by Sony is a *TON* of work and it would ultimately just result in the developers making less money (as greedy as this sounds, the devs do need to make money). Don't expect any dual pack releases from us unless the devs want to do the work, which I don't expect to be common. We have a hard enough time getting some to do the small amount of work a single release requires.
Never even considered that... that sucks. It would be awesome if you guys could do one but I def understand why you couldn't/wouldn't.

Yeah, we got the wrong keys from the publisher. It's not a tough fix, enjoy the game for now and I'll work on getting bonus content keys and send those out when they're ready.

Anyone who plays it please give impressions. I'm really hesitant cause it's a PS1 era game. Stuff from that era hasn't honestly aged gracefully imho. I will likely order the LRG version, but am not sure of the quality of the game.

I have absolutely no problem with the two Shantae games coming on separate discs. In fact, I prefer it that way, since each game will get it's own cover art and disc. Pirate's Curse is one of my favorite Shantae games, really looking forward to getting both of them.

Anyone who plays it please give impressions. I'm really hesitant cause it's a PS1 era game. Stuff from that era hasn't honestly aged gracefully imho. I will likely order the LRG version, but am not sure of the quality of the game.
There's a demo on steam. Maybe play it and judge it that way?

It is a visual novel, a gene that is depended on story instead of graphics. Being a ps1 game should not matter

It is a visual novel, a gene that is depended on story instead of graphics. Being a ps1 game should not matter
Have you played older visual novels such as Seasons of Sakura, May Club, Nocturnal Illusion, etc? They are somewhat hard to play from the same era. Just being a visual novel doesn't make a game able to stand the test of time. I'll give impressions of what I think when I try out the demo today or tomorrow.

You do know this is complete remake of the PS1 Version right? YOu can switch between the PS1 if you want the original or remade

bread's done
Back