Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I honestly used to really like LRG, for bringing rare stuff around ( Like Senran Kagura Bon Apetit  for Vita ) into physical form / breaking barriers with games that you genuinely thought would never get released.

Now it is much less the case, and it feels like every week is a scamper of "what crappy indie game can we get on a disc or mock cartridge this friday"

LRG has gone from a "omg, I must check my e-mail every friday to see what LRG is selling" to now being drowned in promotion e-mails for indie games that nobody cares about, that can be purchased for 1/4th the price digitally without a randomized wait.

The SOR4 debacle particularily got me. I bought a PS4 version of the game and spent basically 200 dollars on it. Why did I get a steam code? Why did I not get a PS4 code?

Why is every shipping date the absolute latest second of every quarter it's being offered without any updates during that quarter?

Why did you change the rewards tags so suddenly and make everything a pain to use?

Once a champion, now another corporate greed symbol..sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
My copy of Streets of Rage 4 and Panzer Dragoon both standard editions for Switch arrived yesterday.
A lot of my previous orders are on deck and should be shipping soon.

So my big outstanding game order is Tiny Metal Ultimate Edition. Ordered in March and still waiting for it.

I know there was a problem with certification with Nintendo which caused the delay.

But no updates since September on that one.

The SOR4 debacle particularily got me. I bought a PS4 version of the game and spent basically 200 dollars on it. Why did I get a steam code? Why did I not get a PS4 code?
The same thing happened with the Wonderful 101 kickstarter. People on the backer page said that devs/publishers can generate infinite Steam keys for free but on consoles they have to pay a fee to generate keys and I think maybe they have to order a specific amount of them, can't recall the exact details. Basically it's a way for them to add "value" to their apology with no cost from their pocket, aka the most greedy option available.

Personally if that is the case I consider it more insulting then if they'd just apologized and offered nothing. Like offering a code for a different platform because it's free is basically someone dangling keys in front of me hoping I won't notice what is going on behind them. If they actually truly for real felt bad about the situation they'd go through the trouble of getting people a key for the platform they ordered the game on.

My copy of Streets of Rage 4 and Panzer Dragoon both standard editions for Switch arrived yesterday.
A lot of my previous orders are on deck and should be shipping soon.

So my big outstanding game order is Tiny Metal Ultimate Edition. Ordered in March and still waiting for it.
I know there was a problem with certification with Nintendo which caused the delay.
But no updates since September on that one.
I would question why they even had a title up to order it if was having cert issues

The same thing happened with the Wonderful 101 kickstarter. People on the backer page said that devs/publishers can generate infinite Steam keys for free but on consoles they have to pay a fee to generate keys and I think maybe they have to order a specific amount of them, can't recall the exact details. Basically it's a way for them to add "value" to their apology with no cost from their pocket, aka the most greedy option available.

Personally if that is the case I consider it more insulting then if they'd just apologized and offered nothing. Like offering a code for a different platform because it's free is basically someone dangling keys in front of me hoping I won't notice what is going on behind them. If they actually truly for real felt bad about the situation they'd go through the trouble of getting people a key for the platform they ordered the game on.
Funny enough I prefer when Steam keys are offered haha. I buy physical games for my collection and to have forever, but in most cases, the PC version is better, and I'll end up getting it on Steam and playing it there eventually. So this lets me get the physical copy that I like to have and a better version to play without double dipping. But I realize that this mindset is not very widespread.

I made the mistake of bundling my Streets of Rage 4 with Tiny Metal  :???:

Ended up buying the merge release of it months ago off Gamefly for $20. And it came with an awesome keychain and manual too and has better cover art.

With all of these orders in limbo what would happen if LRG decided to just turn on everyone, say " fuck off", kept the money and retired to the Philippines?

To add to this, those keys are supposed to be "promotional". For one reason or another Steam doesn't care if you pop hundreds out and send them on the web (probably bigger fish to fry with the gray market and some degree of self-regulation because of profit motive), but Mama Sony and Papa Nintendo miss out on their 30% cut in that case so they have restrictions surrounding how many can be distributed, for what purposes, etc. So the answer in both the W101 case and the SOR4 case is that Steam is just infinitely easier for them to bulk generate/distribute keys through.

I kinda liked getting the Steam code for SoR4. I had no interest in it, so I sold it for $10 or so.
In the case of W101 you were actually able to sell the game at a profit because the keys were given before the game officially launched so it was a way to play a week early if you didn't back the project, made it a pretty hot item.

That took the sting out of it a little but my problem is just that they had this big huge apology post and their solution was that they'd give people a steam key and when people brought up the fact they couldn't even use it due to a lack of PC and such PGs response was basically "too bad" worded in the nicest way possible. Kinda hard to buy that they're actually sorry when their actions don't really convey it.

Well, my Shantae Collector's Edition for Switch showed up today...[attachment=35019:20201201_233414.jpg][attachment=35020:20201201_233228.jpg]

Off topic, but I know there are frequent ebayers here.

I bought 5 items from the same seller and only 4 items were in the package. I opened an item not received case for the 1 missing item, and just today pushed it forward to have eBay step in since seller was completely unresponsive. Case was decided in their favor because there was a tracking number associated with the item listing.

I see that I can appeal, but does an actual person review the case if I appeal or is it going to be automatically decided again? I have no "new" proof to show other than the fact that I only have 4 out of the 5 items in hand.

Thanks in advance.

I bought 5 items from the same seller and only 4 items were in the package. I opened an item not received case for the 1 missing item, and just today pushed it forward to have eBay step in since seller was completely unresponsive. Case was decided in their favor because there was a tracking number associated with the item listing.

I see that I can appeal, but does an actual person review the case if I appeal or is it going to be automatically decided again? I have no "new" proof to show other than the fact that I only have 4 out of the 5 items in hand.

Thanks in advance.
I would call and speak to someone. Had an issue where I returned an item for false advertisement and the seller got salty and claimed I had tampered with it. Ebay did a 50/50 refund. I said hell no, that's unfair. Spoke to someone on the phone and got it fixed

Thanks in advance.
Definitely call them. But you probably should have opened the case as "item not as described". Since you opened it as item not received, they probably just checked the tracking number and closed it immediately.

Definitely call them. But you probably should have opened the case as "item not as described". Since you opened it as item not received, they probably just checked the tracking number and closed it immediately.
I would agree this is more than likely what happened, as not receiving something or not as described are two very different things, especially were Ebay is concerned. And both are treated very differently in regards to what can and can't be done, so calling at this point is probably your best bet. Good Luck!!!

i want to sell off my collection too but they worth less than retail now after the fees.
Oh man, I'm looking at all my LRG PS4 games and this hurts. Outside of Shantae and Firewatch, I don't think any of them are worth squat. What I don't get is why it seems like nearly everything they put on the NS skyrockets but most of the PS4 collection is worth less then it's release price.

With all of these orders in limbo what would happen if LRG decided to just turn on everyone, say " fuck off", kept the money and retired to the Philippines?
Same thing that would happen if anyone else did it: you're SOL. But, I will say this, given how much LRG and their people tied to it use social media (both company and personal accounts), I feel like they know how much of a risk it would be would not do anything like that. There are some insane people on the internet and I'm sure the death threats would go flying to all of them and their families. It's definitely not easy to go dark anymore even if you have the slightest bit of a social media presence.

Oh man, I'm looking at all my LRG PS4 games and this hurts. Outside of Shantae and Firewatch, I don't think any of them are worth squat. What I don't get is why it seems like nearly everything they put on the NS skyrockets but most of the PS4 collection is worth less then it's release price.
My guess is people would rather collect cartridges than discs since they're harder to reprint in the future. Vita cartridges are going up in price too (both full retail releases and limited print releases).

Nintendo also has immense brand loyalty and until last month was the hot new console on the market (will likely continue to be while XSX/PS5 supplies are strained).

I'm sure there are many factors that played in to why this is, but system sells at the time of most releases probably played a HUGE factor. The PS4 had the bulk of the market when LRG started, and most releases reflected that bigger user base. The NS user base was much smaller when it finally started to see releases, and now with the bigger user base, and less games to be had, prices are probably up.

The PS4 has just entered a new gen, so most people probably starting clearing out games and that system on the lead up to PS5. So the market is probably flooded with games most didn't want to begin with, and the new gen normally means less interest in the previous one. The Wii U games were almost free when the NS arrived, as most prefer those games on the NS. So each go around often varies, but for most gens, there are some easy trends to see, and other times not so much.

I really don't care if the LRG I have dropped in value or if I won't play them again. Not every game in my collection is to play. There are many games that I will beat and then trade in (such as mass market, disposable crap from companies like EA, Ubi, and Activision) but then there's games (such as many of the early LRG when they were more selective) that have beautiful cover art and are nice just to look at even if I'm done playing them or they're unique games. I remember someone telling me that I'll regret having my collection one day if the games get disc rot or the carts don't work anymore and I told them I don't give a shit, I got my value out of playing them and once I'm doing playing them I keep them as art pieces basically so it doesn't matter if they'll work again or not.

Thanks in advance.
You should call, do not rely in the online system

I really don't care if the LRG I have dropped in value or if I won't play them again. Not every game in my collection is to play. There are many games that I will beat and then trade in (such as mass market, disposable crap from companies like EA, Ubi, and Activision) but then there's games (such as many of the early LRG when they were more selective) that have beautiful cover art and are nice just to look at even if I'm done playing them or they're unique games. I remember someone telling me that I'll regret having my collection one day if the games get disc rot or the carts don't work anymore and I told them I don't give a shit, I got my value out of playing them and once I'm doing playing them I keep them as art pieces basically so it doesn't matter if they'll work again or not.
You're part of the reason this shitty company exists, way to go

You're part of the reason this shitty company exists, way to go
You really are a pitiful person. All you do is whine and cry. First in the clearance threads and now here. LRG has been living rent free in your head for years now. All because you couldn’t get a copy of GALF to resell. It can’t be healthy to have this kind of obsession.

Playstation consoles always have a massive decline in game value near the end of their life. I've picked the bones of many dead or dying systems in the market... it happens every single console cycle.

There was a time when having a "rare" game meant something because it was such a "rare" occurrence... but with so many low print games and people buying them without regard to quality... rarity has become common. So the demand for on rarity alone doesn't matter. The game actually needs to be stellar. IF you look at the history of games and what is low print... much of that is shovelware because that's all the publisher was willing to spend as they had no faith in the game because it really wasn't that great.

There are of course exceptions, like Shantae which was an original IP but Capcom wasn't going to mass produce it and watch it rot on shelves... so it got the shoveware level of production but because the game was exceptional it didn't fall into the obscurity a lot of games produced on that level end up.

There also used to be a barrier that your only option to play a rare game was physical... now you can just pay a couple bucks and play it digital... and with a large portion of all LRG releases for PS4 being games that were free on PS+ or have had significant sales on the ps store... that eats at the demand for most of these random indie games unless of course they are in super well loved franchises. Those games, if they have tanked... will come back in value much like RPG's, SHMUPS, and other genre with a massive fanbase tend to recover.

Shantae games on PS4 doing well makese sense, look at the demand for the series in the secondary market. It's a series with a fanbase that continues to expand. Some games are so good people want to own a physical copy regardless of how cheap the digital gets.

Firewatch, my guess is the game is just that damned good and people that play it decide they must own a physical copy. So that has prices up as there is a demand. Which is pretty much what you'd expect for a game that is well loved regardless of how limited it's print was.

I think the thing to do going forward is to evaluate why you are buying games and forget to ever include the "rare" or "limited" nature of the game unless it's a game series you love and you know the game is going to have a limited print. Then, factor it it as to when you buy it, but don't let rarity alone be a factor in wanting to buy the game in the first place. To many people got hyped on collecting rare shit... and completely forgot that it doesn't matter how rare something is if there's no demand for it.

Why is the switch doing so much better? It's a current plaform that hasn't been replaced by a successor. Demand for indie games that aren't super well loved will disappear. Right now there are still enough collectors and people bamboozled by "rarity" that the games are doing well. But switch has another edge over PS4... that is being a system that can go from console to handheld in a second. So it's tapped a broader market of people that don't want to only be locked to the tv at home to play their games. So don't be surprised if demand continues to hold... especially if Switch 2 has full BC with it. PS5 BC I think will help a lot fo PS4 games do better than games on the PS3 did... but only for the great games and games in specific genre.

My guess is people would rather collect cartridges than discs since they're harder to reprint in the future. Vita cartridges are going up in price too (both full retail releases and limited print releases).
I was thinking it was more to do with the "full set" mentality that seems more prevalent these days... I know I've seen lots of people with full Vita/Wii U sets, guessing that mentality carried on to the NS.

I think the key couple of words that sums up LRG nowadays in the above tweet is when they say the release is for them. I've never even heard of 'Rivals of Aether.' 

Nintendo also has immense brand loyalty and until last month was the hot new console on the market (will likely continue to be while XSX/PS5 supplies are strained).
There was a time when PS4 LRG stuff went for more than it does now on average. But now there are literally 250+ different Limited Run PS4 titles alone. If you think your Switch games are all holding their value at the end of the Switch life cycle when Limited Run has pumped out 300-400 of them, you're only deluding yourself. Switch collecting is already cooling off.

update: I called, was told to file the appeal.  Did so via email and they overturned my case as a 'courtesy' but at least it almost immediately done, so I have no complaints.

Funnily enough though, I got another email from another ebay CS rep addressing my appeal a second time lol.

I'm glad to have finally resolved this.  Thanks again to those advising me to call.

Prices on second-hand games is always going to be a constantly fluctuating variable. You should always look to the basics of supply and demand. Supply, in the case of LRG, is a known and posted quantity. We essentially know exactly what the supply is for any and all of the truly "limited" titles they put out. The supply is less certain for their pre-order titles, as those supplies are dictated by the number of people lining up to purchase them, instead of being a fixed number ahead of time. Those figures can fluctuate from game to game, but we can still "ballpark" the limits of them.

Demand is where things get murky. Demand is far more nebulous, and far more contingent on various factors out of the control of the average person on the street. Attempting to predict demand requires far more consideration, and involves far more variables.

The long-term success of LRG has actually lowered the demand for their titles in the second-hand market. There would be considerably more demand for their games if they had gone out of business at some point. The fact that their business model has proven successful and stable means that there isn't going to be any immediate end to their products. While the print runs of their individual publications are inherently limited, the company itself and its continuing output has no expiration date. This lowers the immediate demand for their titles. You don't need to get as hyped when this has been going on for years, and likely will continue to for years to come. Mundanity lowers the demand.

The speculation bubble for LRG titles has also burst. The long-term viability of this business model has also taken the wind out of short-term speculation. Even the more hard-core collectors have realized that a bit of patience will allow them to pick up copies at reasonable prices. They are no longer frothing at the mouth to pay exorbitant prices for games they missed out on getting. And speculators in turn are starting to get burned by copies that don't immediately appreciate in value for fast flipping. The success of the pre-order entries have further worn down the practice of short-term flipping.

Bottom line, I will reiterate what I'm always harping on about. Short-term game speculation is a terrible idea, and you shouldn't engage with it. Game collecting and selling has a very long time investment. Games, even rare ones, take a while before they appreciate in re-sale value, and there are numerous factors that affect that sale value. Snatching up games out of a desire to make money off of re-selling them is a terrible waste of time and resources. You'd make way more money by just getting a regular job. "Flipping" games properly requires that you sit on a title for 30+ years. And even then you'd see better profits from so many other hobbies. Game collecting is not a good place for speculative investment.

Bottom line, I will reiterate what I'm always harping on about. Short-term game speculation is a terrible idea, and you shouldn't engage with it. Game collecting and selling has a very long time investment. Games, even rare ones, take a while before they appreciate in re-sale value, and there are numerous factors that affect that sale value. Snatching up games out of a desire to make money off of re-selling them is a terrible waste of time and resources. You'd make way more money by just getting a regular job. "Flipping" games properly requires that you sit on a title for 30+ years. And even then you'd see better profits from so many other hobbies. Game collecting is not a good place for speculative investment.
Agree 100%. Best rule is to buy games that you want to to play, not because of some speculative collector value.

I'll also just add that even supply is a fluctuating variable when it comes to games. Part of the reason Nintendo games are perceived to hold value is because people generally don't sell those titles. There are millions of copies of most premiere Nintendo titles, and yet some still go for over half their MSRP. This is because there are fewer sellers. This is probably the same reason why even popular PS2 games are starting to go back up in price on the secondary market. Fewer and fewer copies are being put up for sale.

That's a good thing. It means more and more games are landing in the hands of folks who are buying to PLAY them. Also, this tends to mean those people will keep them. Most of us I would think keep games we either play or want to play.

As such, supply shrinks regardless how many copies are available.

Now, of course, all of this really relates to games that aren't available digitally. I still think as game sales continue to become more and more digital, and the generation of those who want physical media move on or get proportionally smaller, you're going to see precipitous drops in demand for most physical media, short of those rare, deserted island releases.

In other words, all of this is to say again what Richard Kain articulates well, which is that game speculation is just a terrible idea.

My rule - buy the games you want to play. If you want physical media - then again, buy those games you want to play, perhaps a little sooner than you used to because many games - except for the obvious AAA titles - nowadays don't get more than a single print run.

I'll also just add that even supply is a fluctuating variable when it comes to games.  Part of the reason Nintendo games are perceived to hold value is because people generally don't sell those titles.  There are millions of copies of most premiere Nintendo titles, and yet some still go for over half their MSRP.  This is because there are fewer sellers.  This is probably the same reason why even popular PS2 games are starting to go back up in price on the secondary market.  Fewer and fewer copies are being put up for sale.
That's a good thing.  It means more and more games are landing in the hands of folks who are buying to PLAY them.  Also, this tends to mean those people will keep them.  Most of us I would think keep games we either play or want to play. 

As such, supply shrinks regardless how  many copies are available. 

Now, of course, all of this really relates to games that aren't available digitally.  I still think as game sales continue to become more and more digital, and the generation of those who want physical media move on or get proportionally smaller, you're going to see precipitous drops in demand for most physical media, short of those rare, deserted island releases.

In other words, all of this is to say again what Richard Kain articulates well, which is that game speculation is just a terrible idea. 

My rule - buy the games you want to play.  If you want physical media - then again, buy those games you want to play, perhaps a little sooner than you used to because many games - except for the obvious AAA titles - nowadays don't get more than a single print run.
The irony in this is that there was a time period when Nintendo was considered kiddie and lame and their games were basically worthless. During the 2000's you could find NES and SNES cartridges in pawn shops for $1 and I wouldn't be surprised if thousands, if not millions of carts were thrown in the garbage during those years because no one wanted them. Even GC games could be found cheap, I remember when GS was first clearance out GC games and the employee in there told me that no one else gave a shit about them except for me and that they were taking up space in the store for months. I'm talking about high quality games like Melee for a few bucks a piece that are now valuable. N64 carts were also pawn shop fodder. Even amazing stuff like Mario, Zelda, etc. Everyone was playing GTA and Halo those years instead. Somewhere down the line people grew up and became nostalgic about Nintendo and the games shot up in value again. Wii U games are cheap right now and it would be amazing if in 10-20 years they suddenly become collectible. It might sound crazy but they happened with GC. I don't expect that to happen, either, especially since everything good has been basically ported by now but all I'm saying is you never know.

There was a time when PS4 LRG stuff went for more than it does now on average. But now there are literally 250+ different Limited Run PS4 titles alone. If you think your Switch games are all holding their value at the end of the Switch life cycle when Limited Run has pumped out 300-400 of them, you're only deluding yourself. Switch collecting is already cooling off. 
The problem is there is only so much you can collect. Eventually you will get to a point where you will either run out of money or space. I know people who have game collections in storage and haven't seen their games for years and that seems like a waste to me. If you can't display it and enjoy it then what's the point of even having it?

I was thinking it was more to do with the "full set" mentality that seems more prevalent these days... I know I've seen lots of people with full Vita/Wii U sets, guessing that mentality carried on to the NS.
Rather the opposite, actually - the end of the Vita (in NA at least) was such a miserable experience that it actually deterred me from wanting to collect on other platforms, especially the Switch. Maybe there are some gluttons for punishment, but I will never in my life want to do another full set.

There was a time when PS4 LRG stuff went for more than it does now on average. But now there are literally 250+ different Limited Run PS4 titles alone. If you think your Switch games are all holding their value at the end of the Switch life cycle when Limited Run has pumped out 300-400 of them, you're only deluding yourself. Switch collecting is already cooling off.
Completely agree. Also important to note the sheer volume of physical games on the Switch. LRG is exploiting it and so are 20 other "limited" publishers. At least it's only EAS on the Vita and PS4 collecting is dying quickly. I hope people have learned so that the same stuff doesn't happen again on the PS5. This has gone from a fun boutique hobby to a sheer market flood (as I'm sure is the case with other industries) over one console generation. I'm more open to digital games than I've ever been.

I've been saying this (much less eloquently) for years. For every Earthbound there are hundreds, if not thousands, of games below their MSRP. It's an incredibly volatile market that nobody hoping to prosper really has any control over. All this word salad to say - I wholeheartedly agree.

This isn't really a flipping story at all, but it feels relevant...

A few years ago I bought 3 of the LRG PS4 Blind Box games. It seemed exciting! The reality set in when I received 3 games I never would have purchased. Ever.

I vowed to sell them.

Unfortunately no one else wanted them either. It took about 3 years before I finally sold the last one. I got back just about 50% of what I paid. The cost of entry and overall annoyance was not worth the brief hope of getting one of the rare titles that was actually a good game or had some value as a collectible.

I can only say I was left feeling a kinship with Miss Natalie Imbruglia who put it so eloquently... "Nothing's fine, I'm torn. I'm all out of faith. This is how I feel. I'm cold and I am shamed. Lying naked on the floor."

You hear that Limited Run. Cold and shamed!

Never again Blind Box. Never again!

Completely agree. Also important to note the sheer volume of physical games on the Switch. LRG is exploiting it and so are 20 other "limited" publishers. At least it's only EAS on the Vita and PS4 collecting is dying quickly.
The vita library went from a quaint Dreamcast like experience where it was possible to get a full set for a fairly reasonable price and not feel bad as most games were of decent quality to quite great.... to being a royal pain in the ass as so few games were worth the markup from digital to physical. INDIE games being digital was a way for smaller devs to sell games ... where they would normally never get a physical run because the vast majority of them aren't that great.

What I think is a good comparison, though it won't have the same results, is the current state of limited print games is VERY similar to the Atari 2600 days... where pretty much anything could get published regardless of it being a quality game or not. That lead to a loss in confidence in the market and it crashed. The collector market ... that'll surely crash on most of these games... but.. it won't crash the whole market as it's kept to more of a boutique experience rather than it infecting all of the major retailers.

Never again Blind Box. Never again!
Blind boxes are slot machine mechanics set to game purchasing. Many will play, few will win.

Bought Vita blind boxes once too and only kept La Mulana. Sold Darius Burst (already had it on PS4) and Runner 2 (No interest). I also bought blind box shirts once and gifted one to my bro and only wore one. It's just better to spend more money and get the games you actually want.

Let's also not forget the Jumanji fiasco with Blindboxes. Bad game, Standard edition was retail, LRG sold a CE that nobody wanted. Yet somehow there were tons of blindboxes filled with standard edition copies of Jumanji.

Or the Super Meat Boy/Papers Please fiasco, where copies of as-of-yet unreleased Vita games were included in blindboxes (and to this day remains the only way SMB Vita has been sold).

Or the fact that these blindboxes still take over a month to ship out, even though it's stuff LRG clearly has on hand.

This is a way for them to clear their warehouse of unwanted things and replacement copies they didn't need and little else. Personal bitterness aside, it's gambling with extremely poor odds and like others have said it'd be much better to spend a little more on something you legitimately wanted.

The prices of second hand games swing wildly, but are always directly linked to demand. And demand also swings wildly. Interest or knowledge of a particular title heavily influences the demand. This is why you can see the price of a used title rise when a digital release for it comes out. If a much older game is obscure, and lesser known, only the older and more knowledgeable fans are looking for it. But a modern digital re-release exposes a larger audience to the game, and press over its digital re-release can boost interest. That knowledge, interest, and awareness will increase demand for the original physical copy, spiking prices for it on the second hand market.

But the same is not true for a game that started off as a digital release. Titles like that already got their big media push when they first came out digitally, so having an after-the-fact physical release won't increase the demand. How popular, well-known, and well-received the digital title was will effect the demand for the physical copy. So Kemco RPGs get middling to low demand, while titles like OddWorld, Bastion, or Celeste get frothing demand.

Older Nintendo games hold their re-sale value for many reasons, some of them sensible, some of them bizarre. The most obvious reason is that Nintendo themselves hardly ever puts their first-party games on sale, and this keeps the re-sale value high for places like GameStop. When the MSRP never dips, it is a lot easier for chains like GameStop to knock $5 off the MSRP, and just leave it like that, raking in the fat profits. Then there's the fact that Nintendo first-party title tend to be very good games, which keeps the critical value. And then you have the bizarre reasons, often with the Pokemon titles. Some people buy used Pokemon games, specifically so they can download any saved Pokemon off of them. I don't get it, but whatever. It inherently means that Pokemon games from any generation will be close to their original retail price, pretty much forever.

Taking advantage of dips in popularity or circumstances is great for collectors, as its one of the best times to pick up games on the really cheap. I was there for the days when NES and SNES cartridges were going for just a couple of bucks. I paid $5 for a copy of Ninja Gaiden on the NES. I paid $7 for a copy of Super Metroid. I dropped $12 for a GameCube component cable. Bargains are still possible, but they take patience. Right now is the time to be snagging Wii U titles, in another year or two, it will be time for XBox One and PS4 titles to have their turn.

I remember when EBGames had the old Pokemon carts on sale for $4.99-$9.99 because they were flooded with used copies of Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, and Crystal. This was around the type period Fire Red and Leaf Green came out and everyone considered the GB/GBC to be worthless. I asked them how much Crystal traded in for and they gave me a ridiculously low quote (like $0.50) and said they wouldn't even take the others. I ended up giving the carts away. If only I knew back then...

Speculating on prices for just about anything physically is a fools game for sure. I'd say speculating on other things can be a fool's game too, but that's just my opinion. I agree with the sentiment that you buy stuff to hopefully play, and just leave it at that. I think I remember seeing about 8 or so copies of that SMT 3DS game Apocalypse I believe it was for about $10 or whatever it was at its lowest point. Could have bought them all and sold them all for a nice profit now, but I didn't really want to. Every now and then you can get lucky and sell something for a profit or more likely about what you paid for it (not bad honestly). To bring it back to the thread LRG release way too much for me to buy much anymore, and the prices aren't amazing, so I pass. 

Doom 64 was late September so not sure you'll get that until February or March. I ordered Star wars racer myself and doubt it'll ship by the end of the year.

If you wanted to be really, really sneaky, there is one possible way of "insuring" the re-sale value of a used game. Go out, pick a game that you can get for next to nothing, and buy up a bunch of copies. Then stir up some controversy over the game, or create a popular on-line review of the game, or do SOMETHING on social media to turn that particular game into a meme. Basically, leverage modern internet media to drastically boost the public knowledge of the game, and the demand for used copies will almost certainly increase.

The obvious problem with this approach is that it would take actual time, effort, and talent to insure it succeeds. I don't think most flippers are interested in putting in that kind of legwork.

If you wanted to be really, really sneaky, there is one possible way of "insuring" the re-sale value of a used game. Go out, pick a game that you can get for next to nothing, and buy up a bunch of copies. Then stir up some controversy over the game, or create a popular on-line review of the game, or do SOMETHING on social media to turn that particular game into a meme. Basically, leverage modern internet media to drastically boost the public knowledge of the game, and the demand for used copies will almost certainly increase.

The obvious problem with this approach is that it would take actual time, effort, and talent to insure it succeeds. I don't think most flippers are interested in putting in that kind of legwork.
I’ve sometimes wondered if the cookstar switch controversy was actually a test of that concept...on an even bigger scale than you are talking about. I wouldn’t put it past some shady marketing firm to come up with if game quality and market tests were pointing towards terrible sales anyway.

bread's done
Back