Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
As previously stated, as someone who understands game stores to another, y'all chose the highest cost, highest risk, lowest return maneuver in opening a physical retail versus pushing out excess product through either your already established channels of Amazon, Best Buy, and Partner Stores, or your own in-house distribution.

And the fact there's enough demand that I see one, if not two guys, sending out dozens of boxes weekly for product, in which they are making money LRG isn't, is just weird. Most companies would leverage such an opportunity to reduce costs, reduce risk, and increase returns.

Your business, not mine. It bothers me in as much as you'd rather the community fix a problem then be an active part in distributing your goods. Many people in said group make snide comments that perhaps allude to LRG's incompetence regarding it, meaning "guess the fans gotta do what LRG won't," to add insult to injury.

The real kicker is when people can order games from some dude drop shipping from your store and get their hands on new releases faster than folks who pre-ordered directly! Now that is a kick in nards and should definitely be fixed by at least not putting your new stuff on the shelf until the pre-order customers are satisfied.

Perhaps go speak to them, not me. I'll just sit here and shake my head at such a harebrained scheme you had in opening a physical store.

@Seafoam, I am not talking about partner stores, but literally randoms who live near the LRG physical shop and create weekly posts of photos of stock on the shelf and ask people for what they want. They then collect the funds, go to the physical shop, buy the product off the shelf, and ship it to those people for a small fee plus shipping.

It's the dumbest thing I have ever seen from a niche product business in that there's unfulfilled demand on the table and the company owner would rather double down on a bad decision (i.e., physical storefront!) versus putting excess product online and move it ASAP, which is what traditional business does as inventory on-hand is actually a liability in terms of cost accounting.

More so when, as you alluded to, they have partner stores who could move said product just as easily, if not utilize their Amazon page or their own website. It might break the spell of "Limited Run" titles if people could navigate to see excess titles sitting?
I live 20-30 minutes from the store and have been there many times. Its pretty clear the store is more about vibes and culture than profit. They aren't trying to lose money, but its clear its ancillary to driving maximum revenue. The owners want to have a 90's style video game store, so they built one. They want to have it stocked with their own published games, so they do.

I don't think there is any illusion that they would move more product by having the retail store online, but that's not the culture they wanted to build.

And having been there when the facebook people are shopping, they are always friendly, respectful, and courteous. They have never caused any problems for me personally or anyone else i've seen, so I don't know why anyone would mind.

Also, while some people do get stuff faster going through facebook people, nothing goes on the store floor until it has started shipping to preorder customers.

I don't think there is any illusion that they would move more product by having the retail store online, but that's not the culture they wanted to build.
Neat, but companies don't run on "vibes," more so ones so open to risk like LRG due to their large backlog of pre-ordered products. More so since the gross majority of their market base will never visit the store.

Additionally, they already have the means to back plenty of 90s themed, chill game shops through their partner program. And you know what partner stores tend to dislike? When the distributor enters into their space, as I have seen from other niche hobbies and talking with shop owners.

It's all fine and dandy 'til it isn't. Burning cash and sitting on inventory is entirely their choice, I agree, but a bad business decision is still a bad business decision.

Neat, but companies don't run on "vibes," more so ones so open to risk like LRG due to their large backlog of pre-ordered products. More so since the gross majority of their market base will never visit the store.

Additionally, they already have the means to back plenty of 90s themed, chill game shops through their partner program. And you know what partner stores tend to dislike? When the distributor enters into their space, as I have seen from other niche hobbies and talking with shop owners.

It's all fine and dandy 'til it isn't. Burning cash and sitting on inventory is entirely their choice, I agree, but a bad business decision is still a bad business decision.
Weird that the same guy demanding that LRG release exact print run data so that he can talk customers out of buying their products "for the wrong reasons" also has an issue with something that is clearly being done because the owners enjoy it rather than for purely business reasons.

Weird that the same guy demanding that LRG release exact print run data so that he can talk customers out of buying their products "for the wrong reasons" also has an issue with something that is clearly being done because the owners enjoy it rather than for purely business reasons.
Weird that I measure LRG as a business? And that I suggest it also do the ethical thing and be transparent with data? And not conduct FOMO-based marketing?

These things are not in contradiction of each other, to be clear. Again, multiple wrongs don't make a right.

Or you cannot perform a loss leader for the goodness of their hearts, as you are suggesting, and make every other issue go away. Again, did I not say there already exists a ton of friendly local game stores (FLGS) that would love to host LRG events, have their product for sale, and ensure many people have a place to go to, not just a pilgrimage to Mecca in North Carolina?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any LRG published games that are at the store but were never on the website?

Seems like it's the same stuff.

Are there any LRG published games that are at the store but were never on the website?

Seems like it's the same stuff.
Not to my knowledge, no. But there is product on the shelf not available elsewhere. Things you cannot get from their Amazon store nor partner stores.

They may technically be only shop you get cards when you purchase, but cards are off my radar entirely.

And they have a bad habit of people able to get new stuff from their physical store faster than the pre-orders, which makes some folks very cranky.

They also trade and sell games, to my knowledge. But likely a necessity to turn a regular revenue stream.

Weird that I measure LRG as a business? And that I suggest it also do the ethical thing and be transparent with data? And not conduct FOMO-based marketing?

These things are not in contradiction of each other, to be clear. Again, multiple wrongs don't make a right.

Or you cannot perform a loss leader for the goodness of their hearts, as you are suggesting, and make every other issue go away. Again, did I not say there already exists a ton of friendly local game stores (FLGS) that would love to host LRG events, have their product for sale, and ensure many people have a place to go to, not just a pilgrimage to Mecca in North Carolina?
While I understand the desire to support partner stores, the Local Game Store scene in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is pretty sparse.

While I understand the desire to support partner stores, the Local Game Store scene in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is pretty sparse.
That was discussed with Doug previously and why they chose that location.

The problem is still selling products partners cannot get and that customers cannot acquire (drop shippers are a rare exception). Thus many folks are irked about it if the limited print and game collecting groups are to be believed; LRG seems pretty favored by the Switch community and I see many love/hate posts about them. Some reasonable, others kinda nutty.

Partners had a chance to order the product!

The event exclusives are the only thing they don't get because they are supposed to be exclusive.

Everything else is leftover product that customers had a chance to buy already.

If you don’t live near the store and buy during our preorder period you are golden.

Again, all you are doing is imposing your personal beliefs, which appear incredibly rigid, on both a business and its customers. How do you know other local game stores would want to host LRG events? Even if that was the case, why would that preclude LRG from hosting their own events? Are you aware that many brands have their own stores, some of which sell exclusive products that other retailers can't carry? Personally, I think it's neat that Josh was able to realize a personal dream and at the same time create something that fans of the brand could enjoy. Is it likely that I will ever be able to visit the store? No, but I don't sit around all day dwelling on all the things I may never do in life and I suspect most LRG customers don't either.

Again, all you are doing is imposing your personal beliefs, which appear incredibly rigid, on both a business and its customers. How do you know other local game stores would want to host LRG events? Even if that was the case, why would that preclude LRG from hosting their own events? Are you aware that many brands have their own stores, some of which sell exclusive products that other retailers can't carry? Personally, I think it's neat that Josh was able to realize a personal dream and at the same time create something that fans of the brand could enjoy. Is it likely that I will ever be able to visit the store? No, but I don't sit around all day dwelling on all the things I may never do in life and I suspect most LRG customers don't either.
You don't listen, it's obvious. A business requiring to return a profit is part of a definition of a business; it's called a hobby otherwise. How do I know other stores would host events? I talk to store owners because I know many. Does it preclude LRG from holding events? Of course not, Doug even said that would be a neat idea, but its called finite resources. You allocate revenue towards costs for maintaining a store front versus broader reaching marketing and sales events. Regarding stores in general, I am aware brands have their own stores, in which I am also aware that mom and pop shops dislike it when product manufacturers and distributors open their own store; see the first answer.

To be clearer, large businesses hate it, too. Do you think Best Buy, an Apple affiliated partner, likes it when an Apple Store opens next door? They likely have contractual agreements about limiting that from occuriing (or don't, see franchising agreements like Subway). Those are big examples. The dedicated game store market is much smaller, more intimate, and much more difficult to sustain, thus any differentiator or sales driver is welcome.

Personally I think you're just wrapped around the axle to support LRG no matter what and to not think critically of the circumstances. Or rather you're actually the one projecting here without realizing other people can and do have experiences different than your own.

@Doug, there are plenty of people that come to the hobby everyday that want older product. That's quite obvious with people operating drop shipping. And not everyone can afford a game during a pre-order window or miss them because of other obligations. I have a strong bet that your inventory would fly much faster being online, but again, we've hashed this out already and you've already admitted the margins are quite thin, if non-existence, within physical retail.

Also, I would think partners would have continued chances to buy backstock of product to sell, not just one and done. Little weird language trick there.

You don't listen, it's obvious. A business requiring to return a profit is part of a definition of a business; it's called a hobby otherwise. How do I know other stores would host events? I talk to store owners because I know many. Does it preclude LRG from holding events? Of course not, Doug even said that would be a neat idea, but its called finite resources. You allocate revenue towards costs for maintaining a store front versus broader reaching marketing and sales events. Regarding stores in general, I am aware brands have their own stores, in which I am also aware that mom and pop shops dislike it when product manufacturers and distributors open their own store; see the first answer.

To be clearer, large businesses hate it, too. Do you think Best Buy, an Apple affiliated partner, pops up with an Apple Store next door?

Personally I think you're just wrapped around the axle to support LRG no matter what and to not think critically of the circumstances. Or rather you're actually the one projecting here without realizing other people can and do have experiences different than your own.

@Doug, there are plenty of people that come to the hobby everyday that want older product. That's quite obvious with people operating drop shipping. And not everyone can afford a game during a pre-order window or miss them because of other obligations. I have a strong bet that your inventory would fly much faster being online, but again, we've hashed this out already and you've already admitted the margins are quite thin, if non-existence, within physical retail.

Also, I would think partners would have continued chances to buy backstock of product to sell, not just one and done. Little weird language trick there.
I am curious what the partner agreement is, if at all. Videogamesnewyork has LRG titles at a 25-30% markup frequently. Other game stores I have been to seem to offer LRG titles at relatively arbitrary markups. I don't think I've ever seen a partner store selling LRG titles at the pre-order price. Granted my sample size is probably a half dozen stores, but it is across a handful of states.

To be clearer, large businesses hate it, too. Do you think Best Buy, an Apple affiliated partner, likes it when an Apple Store opens next door? They likely have contractual agreements about limiting that from occuriing (or don't, see franchising agreements like Subway). Those are big examples. The dedicated game store market is much smaller, more intimate, and much more difficult to sustain, thus any differentiator or sales driver is welcome.

I agree that most businesses have profit as the primary driver. That doesn't mean that a business can't engage in ventures that are not intended to drive profit or that might even reduce profitability. I think my issue with your arguments is that you have made assumptions about what a business should be and determined that anything that deviates from that is somehow invalid.

Personally, I am not enamored with what I consider to be the myth of the noble small business. Virtually every small video game shop I have visited in the last ten years has outrageous pricing or policies that are very unfriendly to consumers. Indeed, I have visited a LRG partner store locally and they make customers provide ID and sign a book each time they buy a LRG game in an effort to prevent flipping. They also have relatively inflated prices for used games that often far exceed Ebay. Their employees are paid minimum wage, have no benefits and receive a minimal employee discount which only applies to used games. Not exactly a place that is bettering the local economy or society in general. Don't even get me started on all the small businesses that exploit their kids or family members and underpay their workers because they claim they can't afford it while the owners suck more and more profit out to fund their lavish lifestyles. Two of my neighbors are small business owners and they used the Covid windfall money they received at taxpayer expense to buy a new $70,000 pickup and a boat respectively, neither of which was for business use. In short, I'm not a fan of most small businesses and think they are just as capable of wrongdoing as large corporations.

The reality is that LRG follows the same collectibles market model as other successful companies doing similar things in vinyl, prints, publishing, etc...As a collector there have been times in my life where I didn't have a lot of excess money and times where I couldn't get something I wanted for my collection. That's life and frankly, these are luxury goods, not necessities of life.

I don't think LRG is better than most businesses, but I also don't think they are worse. Their business model is designed to generate demand for a fixed period of time for each product so that they can move on to the next thing. Is it the most consumer friendly model out there? Of course not, but all of their games are readily available for a fraction of the cost digitally, so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over newer collectors "missing out". I'm sure there are plenty of collectors who wish they could go back in time and buy sealed NES games off the shelf or any other valuable item at retail. That's just the way time works and there is no sense in railing against it.

Is it the smartest business idea in the world?  Does it matter?  This gives them a way to dump stock without backing up the shipping department further, without worries that a low number item could get damaged in shipping and they'd have to deal with the CS on it, and without competing with resellers on ebay who are a big part of the customer base that they don't need to drive off.   There are no other mom & pop stores in the area getting pushed out.   I don't see the problem.

Oh ok, so someone missed a game for whatever reason.  So if this store isn't convenient and the markup to use a reseller that shops there is too much... there are a plethora of other indie game stores, major stores (BB, Amazon, ...etc), online game stores, and of course there's ebay.   Plus many games get import versions that are sometimes better than the domestic version.  And you can always just give up on the physical version if it goes crazy in price and buy it digital (or not buy it at all... life will go on).

i don't comprehend the issue with them having a physical store.  As long as it's fate isn't hooked to the fate of the online company (such that the store fails, the website fails and preorders people paid for are in jeopardy)... then it's all good.  It's another independent game store not in my area that I don't get to shop at.  That's life.  I'll likely never find myself even passing through that area close enough to make it worth stopping.

@Bojay, that's a long post to say we agree; I am just outwardly critical of the things LRG fails at to be customer friendly and more ethical.  Feel free to bring up any business I choose to purchase from and I can give a list of things they can and should do better.

But in the same sense, LRG doesn't deserve a physical store and your statements appear conflicting; you say it's wonderful that LRG owners can "live the dream," but also be critical of business itself.  Living the dream implies the hobby-like store, which I do know owners that do the job for the love of it (they typically have supplemental income).  LRG is not that company (any longer), I would argue. 

I have no problem with them having a physical store, I just think its a bad business decision and provided historical precedent for such knowledge.   Constructive criticism is seemingly taken as I am raving mad about this, which I'm not.

The idea of "whatabout" other places, spaces, and things isn't my point.  It's that LRG makes these choices actively and using the defense of "but everyone else does it," is a really poor defense for anything.  The idea here is to discuss what LRG does do, does not do, and perhaps do things a little better.  We would all win, in that regard, in theory.

@Bojay, that's a long post to say we agree; I am just outwardly critical of the things LRG fails at to be customer friendly and more ethical. Feel free to bring up any business I choose to purchase from and I can give a list of things they can and should do better.

But in the same sense, LRG doesn't deserve a physical store and your statements appear conflicting; you say it's wonderful that LRG owners can "live the dream," but also be critical of business itself. Living the dream implies the hobby-like store, which I do know owners that do the job for the love of it (they typically have supplemental income). LRG is not that company (any longer), I would argue.

I have no problem with them having a physical store, I just think its a bad business decision and provided historical precedent for such knowledge. Constructive criticism is seemingly taken as I am raving mad about this, which I'm not.

The idea of "whatabout" other places, spaces, and things isn't my point. It's that LRG makes these choices actively and using the defense of "but everyone else does it," is a really poor defense for anything. The idea here is to discuss what LRG does do, does not do, and perhaps do things a little better. We would all win, in that regard, in theory.
What does "deserve a physical store" even mean? They have a physical store and have talked about potentially opening another one someday on the West Coast. It's not about deserving anything. They built a successful business and they get to decide how to run it and what they do with the profit generated, assuming their new owners agree. As for the rest of it, I would direct you to Nightc1's post above that I think does a really good job of explaining why your proposed modification to the current LRG model doesn't make business sense. While I agree that "everyone is doing something" is not justification for certain conduct, I would also note that in my experience, the fact that sometimes most businesses do things a certain way is because it's simply the best way to do it and that those that have taken a different approach have failed.

Speaking of sales on LRG games... beyond BB... there are some on their Amazon store on sale.  Plus TMNT Shredder's Revenge is on sale in most stores.  I grabbed a copy through gamestop.com and of course got an opened copy with a round sticker sealing it back.  But it seems complete.  At least the TMNT Collection (Switch) that I ordered with it was still sealed.

On Amazon I was looking at Battle Exe (Switch) ... which is around $5 off.

What does "deserve a physical store" even mean?

Its pretty clear the store is more about vibes and culture than profit.

... something that is clearly being done because the owners enjoy it rather than for purely business reasons.
I am using your own framing, that's what deserved means in this context. If it's not for profit, it's called a hobby and they don't deserve one just like anyone else (also using your framing for luxury items, which I think a "vibes-only" game story is a bigger luxury than a Switch game).

As for discussing other's positions, I won't engage in that as we're having the discussion, not with others.

Again, all I'm providing is valid feedback, to which even Doug agreed or at least did not refute (whether able to or wanting to is unknown).

Why you are stan'ing a storefront is just odd, to me.

I am using your own framing, that's what deserved means in this context. If it's not for profit, it's called a hobby and they don't deserve one just like anyone else (also using your framing for luxury items, which I think a "vibes-only" game story is a bigger luxury than a Switch game).

As for discussing other's positions, I won't engage in that as we're having the discussion, not with others.

Again, all I'm providing is valid feedback, to which even Doug agreed or at least did not refute (whether able to or wanting to is unknown).

Why you are stan'ing a storefront is just odd, to me.
Your interpretation of my framing makes zero sense. I said the store appears to not have profit as the primary motive. Unless you know something I don't, I wasn't aware that the store was an independent entity from the rest of the business and as I said, businesses can pursue ventures for a variety of reasons, with profit not being the only reason. I'm still not sure what that has to do with anyone "deserving" something.

You're providing feedback, although I'm not sure how useful or valid it is given that you seem to be the only one that holds these very specific opinions about things. I believe Doug also said he wasn't going to be taking your suggestion, so I'm not sure why you are continuing to argue for it.

As for "stanning" a storefront, I'm also not sure what that means. I'm never going to visit it, but I've seen pictures and it looks like the customers and employees are having a good time. I wish more businesses would do cool things like this that don't necessarily advance their profitability but seek to fill a perceived need in a local community.

Oh, as someone reading this back and forth it's clearly the other way around.

Doug has to be thrilled he came back.

I'm never going to visit it, but I've seen pictures and it looks like the customers and employees are having a good time. I wish more businesses would do cool things like this that don't necessarily advance their profitability but seek to fill a perceived need in a local community.
I think part of doing cool things like this is to create a cool place which ultimately serves to advance profitability. That said, I'm 100% with you that we need more stores like this in the world. We also need more fun things to do... especially where I live.

Oh, as someone reading this back and forth it's clearly the other way around.

Doug has to be thrilled he came back.
Yea, I'm totally projecting here, you got me.

Your interpretation of my framing makes zero sense. I said the store appears to not have profit as the primary motive... ...I wish more businesses would do cool things like this that don't necessarily advance their profitability but seek to fill a perceived need in a local community.
Edit: I am done, we'll disagree on this subject, just like the others. My criticism isn't wanted, it appears.

How about that adver-game for Crunchyroll on GB Carts?

The local community store already exists; most major cities, and smaller ones, have a mom and pop game store. Perhaps several of different gaming variety, all usually run as a labor of love, not a corporate location (i.e. difference between Bob's Games and GameStop).
Already had that saved for a reply before it was edited away...

Just out of curiosity I looked into Cary's game store scene. The only mom & pop shops appeared to be centered around board/role playing type stuff. Pretty sure this is the only game store of it's kind in that area. Not just that sells LRG games, but classic games too (unless you count Game Stop... which I don't).

It's not like they setup a store in Seattle in the same shopping center as Pink Gorilla Games and are trying to run them out of business. Which their website only sells Pink Gorilla merch.

That was discussed in the previous 'bout of this; they chose the location distinctly due to lack of competition (smart!).  Just introducing it to their business model is what I have argued, will argue, and time will likely tell as being not a wise move (beyond just COVID).  My arguments are made, people disagree, now we all get to enjoy the LRG pastime: wait and see.

So does bojay work for LRG cuz I notice Doug liking their posts but not answering posts that have questions unanswered

Edit: fixed a swipe typo

So does bojay work for LRG cuz I notice Doug liking their posts but not answering posts that have questions unanswered
Edit: fixed a swipe typo
I don’t know who that is.

I had a whole thing typed out but ultimately decided having any further argument was a waste of my time. ‍

I'm a couple of hours away from thier store so I go when they have events. I checked around for other games stores while I was there, and outside of a tiny store in a strip mall that has some games with other electronics, there is Gamestop and nothing else. Now, I wasn't terribly thrilled with thier used games selection, there's a ton of imports, and the prices are in line with ebay, but at least it gives people in that area an option they didn't have before, so I think that's cool of them.

Who gives a F about limited run having a retail store? We could complain about the quality of the games or how long shipping takes but the physical store should be damn near the last thing anyone cares about.

Why care if it makes a profit or not? I would think it doesn't affect any of the games at least not yet. Yeah they might sell exclusive covers but so does every company at a convention.

In regards to a retail store, I don't care, but count me in as +1 for CDs available as standalone items. With CEs apparently dwindling, maybe that'll happen.

Who gives a F about limited run having a retail store? We could complain about the quality of the games or how long shipping takes but the physical store should be damn near the last thing anyone cares about.

Why care if it makes a profit or not? I would think it doesn't affect any of the games at least not yet. Yeah they might sell exclusive covers but so does every company at a convention.
I don't have much opinion on the retail store either, though a good game shop is always welcome. I think the concern is if it's pulling resources and funds from the main business; whether it's worth those resources. If manpower is being used for the store instead of shipping orders in a timely matter, then I think there's room for genuine concern.

I don't know if this is the case, it's pure speculation, but I think it's a valid question people can ask.

Wow. With recent Atari Anniversary Collection, how are four games broken up into two separate releases for a total of $70, new graphics or not? Geez. It's stuff like this, LRG, it's stuff like this that drives people crazy.

Yeah. I was hoping that some kind of compilation of the Recharged games would go to retail, but after Kombinera I had a bad feeling. Guessing there will be more at some point since there are more titles like Yars and Missile Command in the series, so a slipcase for the "set" seems a bit premature too. Oh well. The games are $10 digitally and frequently on sale so I guess I'll just pick them up that way.

On a broader note, I am happy to see Atari gaining relevance again. Their prominence was before my time, but I grew up with older consoles and had a lot of fun score-chasing on old Atari, Namco, and Midway titles. Good times.

Wow. With recent Atari Anniversary Collection, how are four games broken up into two separate releases for a total of $70, new graphics or not? Geez. It's stuff like this, LRG, it's stuff like this that drives people crazy.
It's our normal pricing model, each game is $10, $10+$10, $20 game plus $15 for physical, $34.99.

It's the same pricing we use for all our stuff and what our competitors do now.

It's our normal pricing model, each game is $10, $10+$10, $20 game plus $15 for physical, $34.99.

It's the same pricing we use for all our stuff and what our competitors do now.
Why not put all four on one disc/cart, though? 10+10+10+10 ($40 game) plus $15 for physical, $55 is more palatable than $70.

bread's done
Back