Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Yup

I never thought about it like that... you're right. If they created 10k of every product from the beginning, do you think it would sell out? Hmm... and not to even mention that these are 10k Pre-orders.
I'm not sure what "N" minimum order requirements are, but I hope it's not more than 10,000. I think a physical version something like the Phoenix Wright digital only titles could hit these kinds of numbers if given the chance, but I don't know how hard the behind the scenes work would be dealing with Crapcom and "N". I can't imagine that ever being fun.

But if the minimum order number is somewhere in this ballpark, and if LRG don't want to invest in that larger number up front, something like this campaign could be an option for sure. I'm really looking forward what the final numbers are tonight.

Yup

I never thought about it like that... you're right. If they created 10k of every product from the beginning, do you think it would sell out? Hmm... and not to even mention that these are 10k Pre-orders.
No, most games will struggle to move 4K per platform if they're dual platform releases. If we printed 10K they'd be in stock forever and people would lose interest in collecting them all because nothing would really be rare per se. We have to balance serving the market as best we can with maintaining a certain level of desirability. It's weird to say that but making sure things sell out in a weekend is key to our continued success and operation. :)

No, most games will struggle to move 4K per platform if they're dual platform releases. If we printed 10K they'd be in stock forever and people would lose interest in collecting them all because nothing would really be rare per se. We have to balance serving the market as best we can with maintaining a certain level of desirability. It's weird to say that but making sure things sell out in a weekend is key to our continued success and operation. :)
We'll be expecting final numbers once pre-orders close! ;D

So preorders are a complete success. Normally I wouldn't do this but...

tumblr_nmsf43ikYV1tq4of6o1_500.gif

I think the preorder model worked very well too. It shows that actual demand fluctuates by game and by platform, and that the "limited production" model can often result in much lower production numbers that can't meet actual demand for a given game. Soldner X would have benefited from the preorder approach and resulted in a much larger total production.

Having said that, I do think that a mix of preorder and "limited production" runs is a good approach. For potentially very popular titles, the preorder model results in higher production numbers, meets initial demand, and satisfies customers better. For more obscure titles, the limited production model with fixed production runs would be better. I hope that LRG offers the preorder approach for some titles in the future, especially the ones that they know will do well with that model.

I think the preorder model worked very well too. It shows that actual demand fluctuates by game and by platform, and that the "limited production" model can often result in much lower production numbers that can't meet actual demand for a given game. Soldner X would have benefited from the preorder approach and resulted in a much larger total production.

Having said that, I do think that a mix of preorder and "limited production" runs is a good approach. For potentially very popular titles, the preorder model results in higher production numbers, meets initial demand, and satisfies customers better. For more obscure titles, the limited production model with fixed production runs would be better. I hope that LRG offers the preorder approach for some titles in the future, especially the ones that they know will do well with that model.
Honestly, I'm not really sure Soldner would have done better if offered in this way. It sold the way it did due to small qty's and 2 item limit for the morning listings. Play-Asia has it limited to 3000 and they still have stock, so while they may have sold more copies, the demand may not have been that great if the urgency of being "limited" isn't there.

I completely agree that there is a fine line LRG needs to walk, but not all business models will work the same for each game.

So preorders are a complete success. Normally I wouldn't do this but...

tumblr_nmsf43ikYV1tq4of6o1_500.gif
By what metric?

They hit the 10,000 goal, but for such a big release, Skullgirls only outsold 'Mystery Chronicle One Way Heroics' by 900 copies. I have little doubt that it would've sold more as a traditional release with a set print number.

Yeah but those have 5,000 copies on each platform. If you've seen the total results, you'll notice that Vita has less than 4,000 copies and PS4 has around 7,000 copies. If they did a traditional release, it will be a cluster fuck of too little copies produced for ps4 and way too much for vita.

Yeah but those have 5,000 copies on each platform. If you've seen the total results, you'll notice that Vita has less than 4,000 copies and PS4 has around 7,000 copies. If they did a traditional release, it will be a cluster fuck of too little copies produced for ps4 and way too much for vita.
Yeah, that was the odd part of this one, as normally the Vita version sales out at a much faster rate than the PS4. I've always thought that would change at some point, especially considering how much bigger the PS4 installed base is.

So it will be interesting to see if future PS4 games start to sale out faster or not, as it may be isolated to things like this preorder, as maybe the Vita fans or just more rabid in regards to the normal listings that go up, and that's why they sale out faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but those have 5,000 copies on each platform. If you've seen the total results, you'll notice that Vita has less than 4,000 copies and PS4 has around 7,000 copies. If they did a traditional release, it will be a cluster fuck of too little copies produced for ps4 and way too much for vita.
Oddworld New n Tasty was 2:1 PS4:Vita, the same could've been done for Skullgirls.

By what metric?

They hit the 10,000 goal, but for such a big release, Skullgirls only outsold 'Mystery Chronicle One Way Heroics' by 900 copies. I have little doubt that it would've sold more as a traditional release with a set print number.
Strongly agree. It took the full two weeks to hit the target where a game of this caliber would likely have sold through at least that many copies in a day or two at most under the regular model. On top of that, people are going to have to wait two months to get the game which could result in further attempts to cancel, chargebacks and all sorts of other issues. The preorder model worked ok given what the developer wanted to accomplish, but it's definitely not a good model for most LRG releases and it likely depressed total sales of this particular title.

I'm a bit curious as to how they will plan to roll out the Black Friday extra copies sales.

I'm guessing they'll be at a different time than Stealth Inc, but will they separate the extra copy releases into different groups of release times?

Interested to see how this will go. :D

Skullgirls is certainly a high profile release, but keep in mind not everyone is a fan of 2d fighting games. However, resellers don't care which genre the game falls into. :p

Did anyone who pre-ordered Skullgirls/Volume only get charged for Skullgirls? My LRG order shows both but PayPal only charged me for 1. 

The disparity between the platforms doesn't surprise me in the least. Skullgirls is a 2D fighter. One of the best possible ways to play this particular type of game is with 2 players on a local screen. Doing this with the Vita is difficult at best. With some Vita titles, it is possible to sync up 2 controllers to a PS TV, but this is the exception as opposed to the norm, and an extreme fringe case. Most 2-player Vita titles require two Vitas, which is hardly an optimal means of playing this sort of game.

For the PS4, local 2-player support is a piece of cake. All you need is a second controller. It is a much better way of handling such a title. The Vita enthusiasts will show up for this release thanks to the quality of the title and its scarcity. I have digital copies of Skullgirls on other platforms and it is a very good fighting game, with solid mechanics and some truly excellent animation. I would have been on-board for this release no matter what, and there are plenty of other fans who clearly were interested as well. But the lean towards the PS4 version seems quite obvious to me.

The disparity between the platforms doesn't surprise me in the least. Skullgirls is a 2D fighter. One of the best possible ways to play this particular type of game is with 2 players on a local screen. Doing this with the Vita is difficult at best. With some Vita titles, it is possible to sync up 2 controllers to a PS TV, but this is the exception as opposed to the norm, and an extreme fringe case. Most 2-player Vita titles require two Vitas, which is hardly an optimal means of playing this sort of game.

For the PS4, local 2-player support is a piece of cake. All you need is a second controller. It is a much better way of handling such a title. The Vita enthusiasts will show up for this release thanks to the quality of the title and its scarcity. I have digital copies of Skullgirls on other platforms and it is a very good fighting game, with solid mechanics and some truly excellent animation. I would have been on-board for this release no matter what, and there are plenty of other fans who clearly were interested as well. But the lean towards the PS4 version seems quite obvious to me.
Also the main reason I got the PS4 version and not Vita is because of the ability to use my fight stick.

I'm not sure what "N" minimum order requirements are, but I hope it's not more than 10,000. I think a physical version something like the Phoenix Wright digital only titles could hit these kinds of numbers if given the chance, but I don't know how hard the behind the scenes work would be dealing with Crapcom and "N". I can't imagine that ever being fun.

But if the minimum order number is somewhere in this ballpark, and if LRG don't want to invest in that larger number up front, something like this campaign could be an option for sure. I'm really looking forward what the final numbers are tonight.
N will never happen at no 10,000 especially for a nintendo property such as that or fatal especially considering there is no way to get it besides digital....nintendo games are collectibles so 10000 will sell in one day I think

N will never happen at no 10,000 especially for a nintendo property such as that or fatal especially considering there is no way to get it besides digital....nintendo games are collectibles so 10000 will sell in one day I think
I would agree but I feel like, even beyond the production numbers, there'd be a lot of loop holes with Nintendo.

They better make the Switch region free, since I know that was a concern as well for LRG on the Wii U.
I hope too but I learned my lesson even if it ends up not being I will by games that have physical releases in english immediately im pissed I passed on a english version of fatal frame and NOT paying 200....me and my jap copy will do fine for now. If you are hoping nintendo allows LRG to do there properties im hoping higher numbers for 2 reasons 1. Its nintendo and everyone who collects knows limited nintendo games are hard to get so it would sell in minutes 2. They have a massive fanbase and I bet thats why they require large releases they dont want to make fans even more pissed.

Just for some context, we initially proposed a run of 7500/5000 (PS4/Vita) for Skullgirls. I think that the preorders so closely match my best guess at demand shows we're not far off when we're crunching data and estimating to set runs.

We opted for the preorder approach here because the publisher wanted to see a financial return in 2016 and the developer wanted to try and secure the Japanese VO via preorders. Seemed like a solid chance to give this whole thing a shot.

Unfortunately, the customer service burden of the preorder approach will likely drive us away from doing it too often.

Unfortunately, the customer service burden of the preorder approach will likely drive us away from doing it too often.
If you don't mind me asking, what issues are people causing for CS? This seems like a pretty cut and dry kind of situation to me. You see game, buy game, and wait for game to arrive. How can somebody be fuck ing up this rather simple process? I swear, some clowns just live to do dumb shit!

If you don't mind me asking, what issues are people causing for CS? This seems like a pretty cut and dry kind of situation to me. You see game, buy game, and wait for game to arrive. How can somebody be fuck ing up this rather simple process? I swear, some clowns just live to do dumb shit!
I assume the basic stupid stuff.

People complaining why their orders with Volume won't ship until Skullgirl comes out.

People demanding that they ship their Volumes now, and then Skullgirls later.

People complaining why they're getting charged now instead of later on when the order ships.

People complaining about the lack of combining shipping for pre-orders made before Volume came out to save on shipping costs.

People complaining about complaining.

ThJqq3o.gif

Skullgirls is certainly a high profile release, but keep in mind not everyone is a fan of 2d fighting games. However, resellers don't care which genre the game falls into. :p
Funny so many people on here always make passive aggressive comments about resellers, but most of those comments are by people who worry about their game being valuable and rare. So what's the difference between buying a game to resell right now for a profit, and buying a game wanting it to be rare and expensive to sell later?

Really if you don't buy games to play for your own enjoyment but only worried about its value to others then you're a reseller also.

Funny so many people on here always make passive aggressive comments about resellers, but most of those comments are by people who worry about their game being valuable and rare. So what's the difference between buying a game to resell right now for a profit, and buying a game wanting it to be rare and expensive to sell later?

Really if you don't buy games to play for your own enjoyment but only worried about its value to others then you're a reseller also.
I was joking hence the obvious :p

It is a slippery slope. But I think there's a marked difference in people who buy a copy of a game and hope that it's one day valuable and rare so they can have a nice conversation piece to show off to friends, and a douche who gets to Wal-Mart first and buys every NES Mini they have, effectively depriving everyone else in that area from it so that he/she can resell it for double the price or more on ebay.

Anyone's Shantae soundtracks ship yet? Mine were marked as shipped on the 11th but still haven't been picked up by the USPS. Not in a rush but these are not something I wanna miss out on. 

Skullgirls has a pretty complicated history as far as number setting goes. We started talking to Autumn Games before Oddworld launched. Very first proposal was 6K/3K, then adjusted to 5K/5K, publisher pushed for a higher number due to fanbase - after thorough research I suggested 7.5K/5K and really pushed for that. That number still felt too low so they pushed for 10K/5K. A contract was signed at those numbers (woof). Ultimately they opted for preorders, which helped us dodge a bullet in doing a 10K PS4 run. It's vindicating that both of the run size numbers I personally pushed hard for were close to the final tally (5K/5K is still close in terms of overall units sold - but 7.5K/5K would have practically nailed it).

Is there any added content to the LRG Skullgirls (compared to the JP physical release)?
Yes, apparently the lobby patch. Our release will include the latest patch for both platforms. The Japanese release came out months ago and will be behind in that regard.

Also, the full-color English manual.

It is a slippery slope. But I think there's a marked difference in people who buy a copy of a game and hope that it's one day valuable and rare so they can have a nice conversation piece to show off to friends, and a douche who gets to Wal-Mart first and buys every NES Mini they have, effectively depriving everyone else in that area from it so that he/she can resell it for double the price or more on ebay.
I'm in the first camp, and even I've learned to keep my mouth shut most of the time cause people are stupid in general.

https://twitter.com/camposanto/status/798956168873967625

I wonder if Jonathan Blow would deign to consider a physical release of The Witness through LRG.

Firewatch! Yay Olly Moss!

https://twitter.com/camposanto/status/798956168873967625

I wonder if Jonathan Blow would deign to consider a physical release of The Witness through LRG.
That would be awesome. I have hoping so badly for The Witness and I am Setsuna to receive physical releases.

bread's done
Back