Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
UPS mail innovations is now considered priority shipping? Every other time I've been charged for priority shipping it actually came USPS Priority. Quite a difference in delivery times...

Well this is a first... as someone who's follows the indie scene pretty close. I've heard of all of LRG's releases, I have never heard of Mecho Tales. I must say it's a pretty poor looking game, almost like some of the 99 cent releases you see on Steam.

Well this is a first... as someone who's follows the indie scene pretty close. I've heard of all of LRG's releases, I have never heard of Mecho Tales. I must say it's a pretty poor looking game, almost like some of the 99 cent releases you see on Steam.
I've gotten tons of 99. cent and even free games over the years, and all of them have looked better than this. LOL

Scraping the bottom of the bowl here.

Mystery boxes will be full of ys, lawbreakers, and that shitty racing game that they lied about pulling down lol

I don't have much faith in Arcade Distillary. They seem to be pushing out as many games as they can as quickly as they can, and the quality of their games backs that up. They all seem undercooked. 

LRG gets rid of unsold garbage, in mystery boxes, by putting in 1 copy of B&C, 1 copy of SMRPG, and 1 copy of each Shantae. They are masters of baiting.

Scraping the bottom of the bowl here.

Mystery boxes will be full of ys, lawbreakers, and that shitty racing game that they lied about pulling down lol
Yeah, full me once......LOL

Josh has said there will be a pretty even amount of all games across the mystery boxes(from the amounts held), but last year left a bad taste for me honestly. If it had been stated before hand that the bulk of mystery boxes was going to be the same 2-3 games, I would have skipped them. If it was stated before hand, I sure as hell didn't know about it.

Maybe this time the mystery boxes are better, but it's a matter of principle for me at this point. So I won't be supporting these again no matter what is said before hand, as last year was the chance for "truth", and there was none to be found.

We're disclosing probabilities in the blind boxes this time, and the email from earlier today even says as much. We've held back equal amounts of several games to make sure there is no gross imbalance of two or three games versus anything else. Last year things ended up weighted towards Octodad, Thomas Was Alone, One Way Heroics, and Breach & Clear: Deadline. Octodad sells for $75+ now so I can't imagine anyone is disappointed with that in retrospect. Regardless, we realize that imbalance was a problem - so no, there won't be a 99% chance to get LawBreakers. IIRC it'll only be a 2.5% chance on that, which will be fairly close to the chance to get DARIUSBURST and is actually lower than the chance to get Night Trap. We listened to feedback from last year and we aren't looking to these to foist unwanted stuff on people.

For Mecho Tales, it's worth saying we said no to Skull Pirates (which Eastasiasoft picked up) and have no plans for any other Arcade Distillery titles. I think Mecho Tales is a fine and fun game, but I understand that it's comparatively pretty weak versus our recent lineup.

We have some really killer stuff coming in 2018, but we do have a small amount of obscure stuff still to come out. Bear with us.

We're actually currently in discussion for some stuff that will shatter expectations if it goes through. Next year is going to be pretty wild!

We're disclosing probabilities in the blind boxes this time, and the email from earlier today even says as much. We've held back equal amounts of several games to make sure there is no gross imbalance of two or three games versus anything else. Last year things ended up weighted towards Octodad, Thomas Was Alone, One Way Heroics, and Breach & Clear: Deadline. Octodad sells for $75+ now so I can't imagine anyone is disappointed with that in retrospect. Regardless, we realize that imbalance was a problem - so no, there won't be a 99% chance to get LawBreakers. IIRC it'll only be a 2.5% chance on that, which will be fairly close to the chance to get DARIUSBURST and is actually lower than the chance to get Night Trap. We listened to feedback from last year and we aren't looking to these to foist unwanted stuff on people.

For Mecho Tales, it's worth saying we said no to Skull Pirates (which Eastasiasoft picked up) and have no plans for any other Arcade Distillery titles. I think Mecho Tales is a fine and fun game, but I understand that it's comparatively pretty weak versus our recent lineup.

We have some really killer stuff coming in 2018, but we do have a small amount of obscure stuff still to come out. Bear with us.

We're actually currently in discussion for some stuff that will shatter expectations if it goes through. Next year is going to be pretty wild!
For direct listings vs blind boxes, how is the allocation broken out? Like, if you have 100 copies of game X to sell, is it an even amount being listed directly vs included in blind boxes? Or is it all randomized (i.e., game X could be 50/50, game Y could be 20/80, etc.)?

I'm curious to see how this goes with so many games going live at the same time. Last time, I remember being able to add the 3 games I wanted to my cart and nearly completely checkout before I got redirected to my cart because something sold out. Then when I went to check out with the 2 remaining games, another one sold out.

Josh, man you know I love you guys to death but I have to ask... Why Yesterday Origins? I had it imported for literally half the price after you figure in shipping. I don't want to tell you guys what to do, but games that already got a region wide physical release with full English audio, you may want to consider not doing.

Josh, man you know I love you guys to death but I have to ask... Why Yesterday Origins? I had it imported for literally half the price after you figure in shipping. I don't want to tell you guys what to do, but games that already got a region wide physical release with full English audio, you may want to consider not doing.
$$$$

Didn't see this posted, but I think it was rumored, but Rock Boshers DX is in coming January 5th. Another cool Vita game I can delete from my memory card, but sadly the file is rather small, so won't make much of an impact. LOL

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/944332555851091968

I wanted to work with Anuman Interactive to discuss some other things. I enjoyed Yesterday Origins and thought it would be nice to add another adventure game to our lineup. At the time of signing, the European release had just come out and was significantly more expensive than it is now. It's hard for me to predict how prices will flux over the span of a year. At the time, signing it made sense - it's high-quality, well-reviewed, and I enjoyed it. In our current situation it's not something we would have signed, given we're trying to sign less titles and make sure each one we sign is more impactful. But, as with Mecho Tales, contracts are contracts - we need to release the games we've promised our partners we would, even if they don't necessarily fit our current criteria for the games we sign.

Yesterday Origins is a great adventure game, so don't misinterpret me here - I'm happy to have it on the lineup - I just want you to know our philosophy on signing things changed around 6 or 7 months ago when we realized we had signed too much. This was signed over a year ago.

I wanted to work with Anuman Interactive to discuss some other things. I enjoyed Yesterday Origins and thought it would be nice to add another adventure game to our lineup. At the time of signing, the European release had just come out and was significantly more expensive than it is now. It's hard for me to predict how prices will flux over the span of a year. At the time, signing it made sense - it's high-quality, well-reviewed, and I enjoyed it. In our current situation it's not something we would have signed, given we're trying to sign less titles and make sure each one we sign is more impactful. But, as with Mecho Tales, contracts are contracts - we need to release the games we've promised our partners we would, even if they don't necessarily fit our current criteria for the games we sign.

Yesterday Origins is a great adventure game, so don't misinterpret me here - I'm happy to have it on the lineup - I just want you to know our philosophy on signing things changed around 6 or 7 months ago when we realized we had signed too much. This was signed over a year ago.
The fact that you've had to say some form of this statement for the 100th time in this thread to the same people who post in this thread regularly must be infuriating.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it's fun to make this joke - this is not true nor has it ever been. We became overzealous in signing games not out of a heartless lust for cash but because we were so genuinely excited about what we were doing that we didn't realize we were signing too much. We were too scared to say no to good games that were coming to us and we didn't want to turn those good games away.

We don't make much from these small releases for it to be a thing done for "$$$$". Actually, these small releases hurt us by oversaturating our lineup and turning away fans/supporters who can't keep up. We're hurting our bottom line here, not helping it. We signed too much in 2016 and we're dealing with the ramifications of that. We have dramatically slowed down on what we're signing, but things can take 1 - 2 years to come out so the slowdown won't really be felt until we get to May.

The thing is, our competitors will likely end up in this same boat. Eastasiasoft released 10 SKUs this month between preorders, Kickstarters, and actual sales. It's hard to say no to good games - not because of "$$$$$" - but because of genuine excitement in releasing good games physically.

The thing is, our competitors will likely end up in this same boat. Eastasiasoft released 10 SKUs this month between preorders, Kickstarters, and actual sales. It's hard to say no to good games - not because of "$$$$$" - but because of genuine excitement in releasing good games physically.
Yeah, I love that you guys speak to the "real" issues of what your doing. As I would have done the same in your position, not for funds, but to see as many games as possible get a physical release.

I don't think I would have personally listened to the "noise" of those who don't like certain games. But if you guys are genuinely seeing issues because of to many releases, it's good to make changes for the better long term good. The Mecho Tales is really the first game I've seen from LRG that I would put a "shovelware" label on. But seeing how it was signed awhile back, who could have known where the business would be today? LRG could have been less successful, or lost some major games due to competition, and then a game like Mecho Tales may not look so bad.

So having good relationships across many developers is never a bad thing. As one day Arcade Distillery may release a AAA title, and then having helped them out is great for future titles. The great thing about others entering the arena is that some games you guys pass on, may still get physical from others. So in the end, we all win and that's the most important thing. As LRG, Play-Asia, and Signature Edition are all offering unique and quality physical options, at competitive prices which is awesome!

The fact that you've had to say some form of this statement for the 100th time in this thread to the same people who post in this thread regularly must be infuriating.
I'm one of LRGs biggest cheerleaders, hell, I had Douglas and Justin at our game convention back in August. This is literally the only time I've questioned a release. I'm only trying to offer constructive criticism as a fan of theirs to see them continue to do well. It seriously hurts them to sit on a pile of games they can't offload and I don't want to see that happen. I certainly hope Josh doesn't take offense, that wasn't my intention.

I'm one of LRGs biggest cheerleaders, hell, I had Douglas and Justin at our game convention back in August. This is literally the only time I've questioned a release. I'm only trying to offer constructive criticism as a fan of theirs to see them continue to do well. It seriously hurts them to sit on a pile of games they can't offload and I don't want to see that happen. I certainly hope Josh doesn't take offense, that wasn't my intention.
It's all good, I think 95% of the people who visit this thread, only want whats best for LRG and to see their long term success. Although I'm pretty sure we all have a different idea of what that means, and how to get there. LOL I know some of my thoughts and opinions can come off that way to sometimes, but it's really being passionate about the business and games at hand.

I also defend LRG just as much, as that 5% can make this thread a living hell more often than not. You would think it's hundreds causing problems, when it's just a few rather loud ones. But that's when you know your doing things right, when your "hater" base continues to rise, with no end in sight. LOL

It's all good, I think 95% of the people who visit this thread, only want whats best for LRG and to see their long term success. Although I'm pretty sure we all have a different idea of what that means, and how to get there. LOL I know some of my thoughts and opinions can come off that way to sometimes, but it's really being passionate about the business and games at hand.

I also defend LRG just as much, as that 5% can make this thread a living hell more often than not. You would think it's hundreds causing problems, when it's just a few rather loud ones. But that's when you know your doing things right, when your "hater" base continues to rise, with no end in sight. LOL
True, I'm in several LRG Facebook "collector" groups (which apparently means scalper group to 90% of the people in them). I saw a plethora of people bitching about the Steamworld releases, which in my opinion is completely idiotic. That would be like bitching that Mario Odyssey was already on the Switch and Nintendo somehow ported it to the 3ds... I will never complain about getting ports for systems that never saw a physical release.

True, I'm in several LRG Facebook "collector" groups (which apparently means scalper group to 90% of the people in them). I saw a plethora of people bitching about the Steamworld releases, which in my opinion is completely idiotic. That would be like bitching that Mario Odyssey was already on the Switch and Nintendo somehow ported it to the 3ds... I will never complain about getting ports for systems that never saw a physical release.
Yeah, the Steamworld titles lost me as well. Several seemed to be bitching about how both games are available together, and cheaper elsewhere. So why bitch about it, just go buy two games on one disc, save money, and be done.

It's been explained time and time again how to make that happen would require extra time, money and work, which would in turn make it a non profitable venture for such a small run. I'm happy to get physical, so if two separate games are what's required(as they where both offered originally), I'm cool with that.

I'm beyond grateful the Vita is getting the regular releases it is(which honestly defies all industry logic), so no way in hell am I going to bitch about the how, what and why of it all. Which I think most fans would agree with, but some guys you just can't reach, so you get the "hater" crowd each and every time.

No one was unhappy that the Steamworld games got released physically on Vita.

What was bad about it was the excuse they gave that they needed to be sold separately because it was too much work to go back and create a 'collection' like the PS4 and Wii U got, yet they were able to go back and rebuild the games to add the DLC and Playstation TV support.

What was bad about it was the excuse they gave that they needed to be sold separately because it was too much work to go back and create a 'collection' like the PS4 and Wii U got, yet they were able to go back and rebuild the games to add the DLC and Playstation TV support.
Gotta milk that cash cow

Sorry, I forgot to have them flip the switch to combine the games.

It's a whole different technological challenge to combine two games using disparate engines and SDKs than to rebuild the same game. It takes work to rebuild a game - a significant amount, actually - and adding in the work to do a collection on top of that would've made this completely financially unfeasible.

A single Vita cartridge costs a lot versus a PS4 disc - to the point where a dev typically only gets around $30K for a single Vita release. Engineers at big companies are paid $5K minimum and the work to do that collection would've indentured an engineer for 6 months, at least. What would've been the point for them to invest that work and then only break even?

Publishers and devs are ditching physical Vita because of the costs of goods and the fact that those physical releases are increasingly not viable. Would you guys rather have had a physical SteamWorld Vita continue to not exist - or have it exist the way it is now? I'm on the side of the latter.

Make sure you join the "Limited Run Game Hub" if you haven't already.

We are small group of only about 200 people, but no one is really scalping in there, at least not yet. In fact one of our guys went to PSX and went out of his way to buy a shitload of games at the LRG booth to sell at cost to others at their request. We also get fairly regular input from a guy named Benny, who Doomstink/Josh should know pretty well lol. I believe he's LRG's treasurer or financial guy, something of that nature.

Man, why did Sony have to make it so hard to put multiple games and DLC on the same disc? Microsoft doesn't seem to have this problem at all.

Would you guys rather have had a physical SteamWorld Vita continue to not exist - or have it exist the way it is now? I'm on the side of the former.
The *** Clowns bitching about this issue probably would rather it not, as they aren't buying it anyways, and then there would be nothing to piss and moan about. I'm more than happy to have them separate, and to show support so that their future Steamworld games can see a release. Even if that happens on the NS and not the Vita, as just showing support for physical is key.

Full disclosure, we actually *lost* money on SteamWorld because we made a preferential deal to make it worthwhile for the devs. Our take was a little under $1,000 total and that has to cover all the time I spent bringing it into existence, as well as all the overhead that ate. If a net loss constitutes four dollar signs for you, I don't know what to do here.

I'm not sure why people still have this idea that we're swimming around in piles of cash, eating our caviar, and cackling while coming up with plans to take people's cash to fill our money pit.

If money was our motivating factor, we'd have dropped physical Vita releases a long time ago. They don't tend to make much money and actually result in some losses - but we do them because we love the platform and we love helping bring physicality to these games.

Man, why did Sony have to make it so hard to put multiple games and DLC on the same disc? Microsoft doesn't seem to have this problem at all.
It's actually easy enough to do on PS4 now (that functionality was added in October or November's SDK update), but Sony has no easy process on Vita. Work is required in spades to do anything on Vita - even just rolling in patches. If the absurd cost of goods wasn't enough, the steep level of work required to update a game for physical really solidifies most publisher's decisions to ignore the platform physically.

Publishers and devs are ditching physical Vita because of the costs of goods and the fact that those physical releases are increasingly not viable. Would you guys rather have had a physical SteamWorld Vita continue to not exist - or have it exist the way it is now? I'm on the side of the former.
That's what I am not understanding from some folks. Why would anyone complain about having more options to buy physical games? So, there are some games some people may not like -- big whoop. Why complain about those games being offered? It's not skin off the consumer's back. Just don't buy the game. It's that simple. If you're a collector of Vita games then you should be happy that a few companies are still creating games. If you are to the point that a few so-called lesser games are making you upset to be collecting for the VIta then maybe it is time to move on. Collecting for any system is going to have its share of games that are not so great.

The *** Clowns bitching about this issue probably would rather it not, as they aren't buying it anyways, and then there would be nothing to piss and moan about. I'm more than happy to have them separate, and to show support so that their future Steamworld games can see a release. Even if that happens on the NS and not the Vita, as just showing support for physical is key.
Dig 2 on Vita was a key motivator for me to want to release the other two (and to do it in an areangement that wasn't really beneficial to me). I'd say the chances are pretty good now for Dig 2, but they wouldn't have been without the other two Vita releases having been successful. There's usually a big picture in play for everything we do, and that big picture is never monetarily driven - it's almost always a legitimate desire to sign something else from the same devs.

Yesterday Origins, for example, is from Anuman Interactive - who own the rights to Mega Race, one of my childhood favorite games. I kind of selfishly wanted to establish a relationship with them to eventually get to Mega Race in some capacity. Stupid, I know, but the motivation wasn't "$$$$" as people always want to believe.

That's what I am not understanding from some folks. Why would anyone complain about having more options to buy physical games? So, there are some games some people may not like -- big whoop. Why complain about those games being offered? It's not skin off the consumer's back. Just don't buy the game. It's that simple. If you're a collector of Vita games then you should be happy that a few companies are still creating games. If you are to the point that a few so-called lesser games are making you upset to be collecting for the VIta then maybe it is time to move on. Collecting for any system is going to have its share of games that are not so great.
Holy Shit, your talking common sense, you can't post stuff like that here. It's in complete violation of having this thread derailed hourly, you sir should be banned ASAP! LOL

Dig 2 on Vita was a key motivator for me to want to release the other two (and to do it in an areangement that wasn't really beneficial to me). I'd say the chances are pretty good now for Dig 2, but they wouldn't have been without the other two Vita releases having been successful. There's usually a big picture in play for everything we do, and that big picture is never monetarily driven - it's almost always a legitimate desire to sign something else from the same devs.

Yesterday Origins, for example, is from Anuman Interactive - who own the rights to Mega Race, one of my childhood favorite games. I kind of selfishly wanted to establish a relationship with them to eventually get to Mega Race in some capacity. Stupid, I know, but the motivation wasn't "$$$$" as people always want to believe.
Whatever you guys are doing behind the scenes is your business, as is whatever variants or exclusives come to the table. Anyone here who has an high school level education should understand the small amount of funds being made, especially for $25-$30 releases. They should also know that your side of most deals is going to be lesser as why should a company bother at all for a 50/50 split? You have to make it inviting for those places to even come to the table, that's just good business. Thinking long term is great, and most guys here never see that, as they just think of today, and what they may or may not see in this moment.

When you guys do offer multiple covers, or trade show variants, you also make it easy to actually acquire if your not able to attend. Most other industries that deal in collectibles, make it next to impossible to get all versions of something, and often trade show items are exclusive and never offered outside of the show they where created for. And if they are offered, it's a small amount that is next to impossible to get, unless you luck out.

You guys are way more caring/feeling in regards to collectors than any other gaming company I can think of currently, as most places could care less if any true fans get copies of stuff or not. Or that it is shipped well and not damaged, there's some here who even bitch about the rewards program(that is 100% free), are these dudes for real? You guys are doing great work, and I'm very much looking forward to the 2018 releases.

Doom, any chance you guys can rethink including lawbreakers in the blind boxes? Seems wrong to randomly include an online only game that a portion of us can't use (not good enough internet). 

Doom, any chance you guys can rethink including lawbreakers in the blind boxes? Seems wrong to randomly include an online only game that a portion of us can't use (not good enough internet).
Here I was thinking you were going to say the game is unusable because it's literally dead lmao.

Yeah, I say don't include any of those, and sell them on there own for half off. As no one should get that unless they know and agree to it before hand. LOL
I agree- Knowing that Lawbreakers is in there is giving me pause since it's a game that is virtually unplayable at this point and I would be reallllly bummed if I saw that in my blinds.

While it's fun to make this joke - this is not true nor has it ever been. We became overzealous in signing games not out of a heartless lust for cash but because we were so genuinely excited about what we were doing that we didn't realize we were signing too much. We were too scared to say no to good games that were coming to us and we didn't want to turn those good games away.

We don't make much from these small releases for it to be a thing done for "$$$$". Actually, these small releases hurt us by oversaturating our lineup and turning away fans/supporters who can't keep up. We're hurting our bottom line here, not helping it. We signed too much in 2016 and we're dealing with the ramifications of that. We have dramatically slowed down on what we're signing, but things can take 1 - 2 years to come out so the slowdown won't really be felt until we get to May.

Am I not allowed to make a comment without experiencing this matter of fact response?

Am I not allowed to make a comment without experiencing this matter of fact response?
Of course you're allowed, but he's also allowed to comment on it with a matter of fact response if he wishes.

I don't personally feel that he should be wasting time and energy on those responses, and should really just let it go, but hey, whatever floats his boat.

Really though Josh, sometimes it's just fine to accept posts are just posts. Don't cause yourself to burn out again trying to defend every last comment. Only the ones that actually are substantive, then possibly, but even then, I'm not sure it's really worth the effort. Most of the time people just want to be a part of a discussion without actually contributing to it substantively.

Don't take it as a personal responsibility to need to respond. There's already plenty of people that will do that in this thread. Save your efforts and responses to those that genuinely are looking for one, rather than those that aren't.

Don't take it as a personal responsibility to need to respond. There's already plenty of people that will do that in this thread. Save your efforts and responses to those that genuinely are looking for one, rather than those that aren't.
This^, and then some.

Happy Holidays To All!

I'd just prefer to not have the idea that we're fueled by greed continue. It's easy to assume that's the case, but it never is.
Yeah, but many will still assume the same no matter what you tell them, so it's a wasted effort in the majority of these cases.

Again, can't appease everybody, but focus on the ones you can. :D

Merry Xmas.

bread's done
Back