Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
And I'm out.  While I respect the series it's not for me.  Next time they do this mystery game thing though I'm not evening bothering to much of a hassle trying to balance things so I can be available for the sale, for a game I may or may not care about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this title is kind of big I guess, just still a HUGE disappointment in regards to the overall game, but it's not like I was hyped either way, since I don't normally buy PS4 games.

Details went up seconds before it was purchasable:

JD_TPL_MockUp_CE_PS4Corner_4500x2250_7046e08a-081b-4eaf-976d-55a452e0977f_large.jpg

I get that they're excited to work with Naughty Dog, but this isn't the kind of game I'd want and the thread here seems to agree so far. Jak has had three physical releases over the years and there are a lot of deserving games that aren't getting physicals yet. Things like Celesete, Into the Breach, Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc.

I walked back to my desk at 8:58 (central), realized I had forgotten about Shantae, and logged in right then and there.

Checked out with PayPal, and got two copies.  

Was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

EDIT:  This is my second LRG order ever.  The first was Windjammers.

FFS, the Shantae bundle went up over a minute early and sold out while I was waiting for Headlander to go live. Fantastic.

Is there going to be another batch available at 5PM??

Wow, the CEs for both Jak and Shantae sold out super fast.  I didn't get either as I didn't think either was worth the price (though granted I had under a minute to decide about Jak and Daxter and may end up changing my mind).  I guess it shows that the CEs for well known franchises sell out fast no matter the cost.

If LRG had the entire Jak & Daxter series on PS4 for $29.99-$39.99, that would have been tempting. But $24.99 just for the first game? Easy pass.

At least I was able to get the Shantae CE without much trouble.

Third order for me. Steamworld Dig In Vita and Bastion on Vita were the other two. Managed to get Shantae and the other 4 cards. Don’t know why though. Already have the game. I’ve got to stop rebuying games.

Yeah, this title is kind of big I guess, just still a HUGE disappointment in regards to the overall game, but it's not like I was hyped either way, since I don't normally buy PS4 games.
Yeah, this is not what I would've been expecting, especially since I didn't really think Sony would be handing over licenses to LRG (even though it seemed like LRG must have mentioned it for there to have been so many Sony guesses in this thread).

But, unfortunately, this whole "surprise" plan worked out perfectly for them in my case. I was on the phone and totally forgot about this and got off my call right at 10:00AM EST. Now, I do love Jak and Daxter, so I probably would've been all in no matter what, but I didn't even think about it. I saw there was an art book and a soundtrack which are my main two requirements for a CE and pulled the trigger. Then I went back and looked more closely at what I just ordered. I really paid little attention to it since when I saw "Jak and Daxter" I didn't even consider that this wasn't the entire trilogy. Good job, LRG. You win. I am sure this "book" CE packaging will be uniform across the series and I will make sure I have a complete and matching set. $240+ for 3 PS2 games I already have physically for the PS3 in some nice packaging.

I already own the PS3 Jak and Daxter HD Collection on disc which looks about the same graphically (in some ways better), so I passed on this.  Will definitely be in for Jak Racing though!

Also opens up some interesting possibilities for LRG in terms of potentially being able to snag other Sony published PS2 Classics on PS4 (Ape Escape 2, Wild Arms 3, etc.) or even PS4 digital titles like Resogun.

Very interesting surprise. It's a terrible value, but still a very cool release, so I grabbed it. LRG rarely offer good value, and my protest of 1 will do little to nothing to change anything. I might as well get a cool release for my shelf (sounds like saying myself with a speech impediment) instead! 

Details went up seconds before it was purchasable:

JD_TPL_MockUp_CE_PS4Corner_4500x2250_7046e08a-081b-4eaf-976d-55a452e0977f_large.jpg

I get that they're excited to work with Naughty Dog, but this isn't the kind of game I'd want and the thread here seems to agree so far. Jak has had three physical releases over the years and there are a lot of deserving games that aren't getting physicals yet. Things like Celesete, Into the Breach, Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc.
I don't think it's an either/or situation. I doubt releasing Jak and Daxter has any impact on whether or not Celeste gets released. If LRG can release Celeste, they will be releasing Celeste.

The morning batch for the standard release has already sold out - as much as people may not agree with it, many more seem to either be on the same page or venting while they place the order.

I don't think it's an either/or situation. I doubt releasing Jak and Daxter has any impact on whether or not Celeste gets released. If LRG can release Celeste, they will be releasing Celeste.

The morning batch for the standard release has already sold out - as much as people may not agree with it, many more seem to either be on the same page or venting while they place the order.
It's not necessarily an either/or situation, but getting a release like this together obviously took a large amount of effort and prioritization on their part. I feel like if they directed that effort toward getting something like Celeste out the door, then they'd be better accomplishing their goal. On the blog today, Josh said, "We’re a small company that has made preserving digital games in physical form and bringing them to you, the fans of these games, our primary mission.". These aren't unpreserved digital games, they've been perserved multiple times.

Anyway, I'm aware money talks and these sold out, so they're not likely to change anything. I'm glad they've been able to grow and get these kinds of opportunities as a company, but I'm not a fan of re-buying games personally.

LRG still hasn't fixed the incorrect tax issue for certain states.  Be sure to check your Order details to see if you've been charged an incorrect County tax in PA, IL and a few other states.  Open a ticket if you have.

Also, the purchase points weren't added to the new Rewards system.  Guess I'll have to open a ticket for that too?

well, didn't even know this was dropping so missed out, typical LRG shenanigans

edit: after hyping this up for so much why would they do such a small run and not just do open preorders

I just think this one wasn't really targeted at their hardcore fans (e.g. all of us). If LRG announced tomorrow that they were releasing Scott Pilgrim on PS3, we'd all lose our goddamn minds...and no one else would care at all. The Jak games seem like a way for them to appeal to a broader audience. On the other hand, it makes me question the wisdom of the "surprise" angle, since that's probably the least effective way to raise awareness outside of the hardcore fanbase. Then again it sold out pretty fast so it definitely didn't hurt them.

Still, I find it funny that three out of the four games up for sale today are available physically on other platforms. I suppose that's how it goes when they're forced to focus only on the most popular games available to them.

I just think this one wasn't really targeted at their hardcore fans (e.g. all of us). If LRG announced tomorrow that they were releasing Scott Pilgrim on PS3, we'd all lose our goddamn minds...and no one else would care at all. The Jak games seem like a way for them to appeal to a broader audience. On the other hand, it makes me question the wisdom of the "surprise" angle, since that's probably the least effective way to raise awareness outside of the hardcore fanbase. Then again it sold out pretty fast so it definitely didn't hurt them.

Still, I find it funny that three out of the four games up for sale today are available physically on other platforms. I suppose that's how it goes when they're forced to focus only on the most popular games available to them.
LRG doesn't target their hardcore fans anymore, not sure if you noticed or not, been that way for awhile

LRG doesn't target their hardcore fans anymore, not sure if you noticed or not, been that way for awhile
Lol sure they do. There is zero reason for them to release anything on Vita beyond catering to us. Most of their Switch releases are small enough that they'd never make it to retail, and they're still committed to niche PS4 releases that no one else cares about. The difference now is that we're just a piece of their total market instead of the entire thing like we used to be. It's no big deal, that's just what happens when a business has a good idea and expands upon it. You can still buy what you want and ignore the games that have sold millions of copies across three other systems!

I grabbed a copy but I will say, the PS3 version of Jak and Daxter is a better port in every way possible, steady frame rate and higher resolution. Also, the PS3 remaster has 3 games... Just something to think about if you are on the fence. I honestly just wanted it on my PS4 and hopefully this means we will see a relationship between LRG and Naughty Dog. Give me Way Of The Warrior on PS4, NOW! :D

frame rate/resolution PS3 vs PS4
https://youtu.be/IZ28THLx3ug

This was a good release overall, as it does show how they have moved up and on, and that comes with success and growth. In the same way LRG has changed, so have I, which has meant less purchases from me, for games I would have bought a year or two ago. They now reach a wider market, and something like Jak & Daxter sells to that bigger market. So it's all good, as I love what LRG has offered, and how well they have done in doing so.

But like most early fans who have been dying off, the business is bigger than ever, so as many leave, even more come in to replace us, and that's cool. I've always been a HUGE "N" fan, and over the years, I no longer see the company they used to be, but I'm happy to see their current successes. My son has taken my baton and ran, and may be a bigger fan than I was when I was his age, and I'm glad he can have a fun experience, even when I no longer do.

So I'll look forward to the next "BIG" reveal, in the hopes that sooner or later it meets the hype. But until then, I wish LRG continued success and even better titles in the future. As it's all about the physical after all, and for a game I might not want, there is often someone else who will, and that's why options are always best.

Fark... missed Shantae this morning because I was trying to do it on mobile and I'm simply more used to the desktop website.:whistle2:

Once it turned into a PS2 game, I think most of us were going to be disappointed no matter what.  Their hype machine wasn't really preparing us for a physical release of something that has had multiple physical releases on other platforms.  It does look like one of their nicer CEs - I find more to like about the CE release than the actual game, which I already own twice physically.  

I don't think this is something being targeted to the masses, either - if so, this "surprise" announcement immediately before it went on sale was going to dissatisfy those masses big time (and by "masses" we are talking about 5000-7000 people).  

As people complain about LRG not appealing to the hardcore gamer any longer, Headlander is sitting there begging to be bought.

Yeah, I'm going to pass on Jak and Daxter. It's a bit easier, seeing as I already own several of those other physical releases for it, and don't really feel the need for a complete physical collection. I have copies of all the original PS2 games, as well as the PS3 collection. I already have options where Jak and Daxter are concerned. I went for a copy of Headlander and Shantae. I was a little iffy on Shantae as well, as I already have the 3DS copy of the game. But I'm a sucker for WayForward's games, so I got it anyway.

It does look like one of their nicer CEs - I find more to like about the CE release than the actual game, which I already own twice physically.
Completely agree, the CE contents sold me on it. Design doc, replica egg and themed USB, all in a very nice display box...has to be in my collection and means I have to also try and get the others. The only way this could have been more appealing to me would be if it was for Ratchet and Clank instead.

I may have passed on the Jak and Daxter release, but if the sales for it are any indication, LRG should be able to drum up some business with larger developers thanks to it. They shifted the stock for this release fast. Naughty Dog will likely be very happy with this limited run. Having positive numbers for a release like this one is going to make it easier for LRG to pitch prestige releases to other developers.

Do you guys not have PS4s?
I actually got a PS4 at launch. And I have a rather significant collection of LRG PS4 releases, not to mention PS4 games in general. I'm not passing on Jak and Daxter because of the platform, but because of the redundancy. Also, it sold out fast this morning, and I don't particularly feel like bothering with it in the afternoon. I have no physical copy of Headlander, and I've always like Double-Fine's output, and Headlander has solid critical response, so it goes in my shopping cart.

Do you guys not have PS4s?
I don't, not yet anyways, maybe next year if the price is right. I always planned to just get the slim for $200, but now since I've waited so long, I might as well just wait for a good deal on the Pro, especially if the PS5 is coming soon. I actually have a HUGE 360/PS3 backlog, so I really have just about stopped console gaming mostly. I've been handheld for most of my gaming life, and even that is currently not that appealing, as the Vita is ending, and the NS isn't my thing currently, as it's more console than handheld. But I do look forward to a cheaper more slim version at some point.

I grabbed Jak and Daxter. I only have a couple PS2 games as I didn't get a PS2 until the very end of the console (I had a Gamecube as my primary console at the time) and this isn't one of the few games I have. I don't have a PS3 so I couldn't get the trilogy release on that. So this is a welcome surprise for me and I will be picking up the rest of the series as well so I can finally have it in my collection.

I have to disagree with people saying this is a disappointment.  If they are working with Sony they can basically work with any Western developer.  Also can't wait they get RPGs like Dark Cloud and Wild Arms.

I have to disagree with people saying this is a disappointment. If they are working with Sony they can basically work with any Western developer. Also can't wait they get RPGs like Dark Cloud and Wild Arms.
I think that's part of the disappointment. If they can work with Sony and other big devs, better to release a game that hasn't seen multiple physical releases already (and in compilations no less) and go after games that had very small print runs before or none at all.

I guess this is what they meant when they said they were delving into PS2 games.  At first I thought they were going to physically press actual PS2 games.  Turns out they are just looking to release PS2 games physically on the PS4.

I think that's part of the disappointment. If they can work with Sony and other big devs, better to release a game that hasn't seen multiple physical releases already (and in compilations no less) and go after games that had very small print runs before or none at all.
Well in LRG's defense, you have to get your beak wet so to speak, and offering something like this is a way to gauge the business relationship for the future. I think we all agree that there are many games that could or would have been better options, but I'll assume those weren't options, at least at this time.

Well in LRG's defense, you have to get your beak wet so to speak
wet (one's) beak. To partake in part of the profits of another person's business, usually as a result of extortion. (Used especially in reference to organized crime, particularly "protection money" paid to the Italian Mafia.)

Damn, I knew there was shady shit going on.

As a long-time collector, it's understandable that I might be a bit let-down by a PS4 re-print of a PS2 title. I already own multiple copies of the game in question, on multiple platforms. And the PS4 version is literally just a bare-bones emulated port, not a re-master or re-make. For me there is only a slight impulse for such a release. And I'm trying to scale back on expenses, so it is an easy omission.

There's also the fact that Jak and Daxter was never rare to begin with. Both the original PS2 release and the PS3 re-make bundle got wide distribution. They were also popular games, so it never really went out of print during the run of the PS2. Acquiring copies of the PS2 or PS3 versions is relatively easy and inexpensive.

It would not surprise me to see more PS2 re-releases on the way, though. If early sales of Jak and Daxter are anything to go by, the popularity and brand recognition of the franchise was more than enough to shift product. With solid and rapid sales, other developers and publishers will probably be happy to sign up with LRG for physical PS4 releases of PS2 games.

I don't feel any particular rancor over this. I'm not angry. But I'm also not reaching for my wallet. Given the volume of LRG releases I've indulged in, it's almost a relief to have a title that my obsession will let me pass on.

It's not necessarily an either/or situation, but getting a release like this together obviously took a large amount of effort and prioritization on their part. I feel like if they directed that effort toward getting something like Celeste out the door, then they'd be better accomplishing their goal. On the blog today, Josh said, "We’re a small company that has made preserving digital games in physical form and bringing them to you, the fans of these games, our primary mission.". These aren't unpreserved digital games, they've been perserved multiple times.

Anyway, I'm aware money talks and these sold out, so they're not likely to change anything. I'm glad they've been able to grow and get these kinds of opportunities as a company, but I'm not a fan of re-buying games personally.
If you haven't realized by now they are a money grubbing marketing and merchandising company first and foremost specializing on preying on collectors' fear of missing out and collectors' undying commitments to not let sunk costs in their collections be for nothing because of future unattainable titles. The only collectors benefitting from their existence are themselves. They found a way to live the dream of getting other people to pay to boost their own collections while ruining it and making it unattainable for all but the 1%.

All the touchy feely stuff in their mission statement about doing collectors a service and preserving games and such is just a happy face PR facade like any other business. I mean if it wasn't obvious with all the cover variants, re-releases of existing physical games, releases of online only games, getting variant exclusives of other company's releases, the constant multiplatform and multi edition double and triple dipping of the same games repeatedly, the merchandising, and the carefully controlled reveal pace and hype machine that drives impulse purchases at the last second, I don't know how else to tell you. It's all intentionally orchestrated to manipulate a particularly vulnerable subset of consumers, the collector, to fork over their cash without hesitation. They are master manipulators and could be excellent car salesmen or politicians if they wanted.

Hilariously nobody else has noticed the trading card scam. That used to be a sincere for the fans freebies but even that's been monetized now. An artificially manufacturered collectabile where they gave you free ones at first to get the hook in, now they have people lining up to *pay* for them as exclusive packs numbered in the same set that can't be obtained any other way. Just fucking lol. Props for conditioning people to forget they are game collectors not card collectors and getting them to pay more for some paper on the side that never even existed before!

I ain't even mad, just calling it what it is. I even still buy their releases as I'm immune to the expense. Just pull back the curtain know what they actually are. They are a marketing and merchandising company now, not a game company. Can't say if that's what they started as or not, seemed like good intentions at first. But money and rapid rise to celebrity fame corrupts and that's what they are *now*, and milking everything for every molecule has been he primary mission now ever since the "we are gonna slow down" stunt. Even that was just more intentional misleading to keep you thinking "I just gotta double down and dig deep and hold out a little longer then things will calm down" when two years later its even worse and you are supposed to forget was supposed to slow down and fall right into the trap. Remember that sunk cost vulnerability I mentioned at the top of this post? Well played.

bread's done
Back