Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Back on December 13th I asked if anyone had the digital copy of Golf Story would they post what version number it is. RagManX responded with:

I finally got my switch back last night from my kids. They unlocked everything in Smash Bros and my middle son was actually enjoying Skyrim on it since he couldn't use any mods to cheat the experience like on his gaming pc.

Anyway the physical version of Golf Story is 1.0.0
As noted above the Digital version is 1.0.1

On the bright side the message on redeeming coins doesn't say wrong region, it now says you can't get coins for this title yet. So the region issue is kind of fixed, though we are running what appears to be an older version of the game and it won't update under this region.

I found a thread over on Reddit detailing 1.0.1 where some of the game breaking bugs are noted as fixed, though that's from players playing the game as there were no release notes with the patch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfStory/comments/7btsl6/update_101_now_available_xpost_rnintendoswitch/

I wonder if possibly the cart version is on a different version numbering system than digital... I guess I'll have to just play the game and see if I encounter the bugs that were fixed a year ago.

I'm with LRG on this. I'd much prefer the existence of more titles than more bargain bin reprints.

Fight me.
Agree wholeheartedly. There are plenty of copies of big name titles in the wild. There are no copies of the games LRG want to release.

I also think it sucks that LRG have been around for a while now and have a lot of Vita games lined up to release. Not sure why Sony cannot work with them on this issue. It can be argued that LRG have breathed more life into the Vita gamers/collectors in North America in the past couple years than any other entity. Sony themselves abandoned the Vita long ago, yet LRG specifically were out there grinding, lining up release after release. Also, they created an environment and business model for other limited run games companies to arise on other continents. Been a big fan of Sony since the PS1, but pretty irritated over several of their decisions in recent months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree wholeheartedly. There are plenty of copies of big name titles in the wild. There are no copies of the games LRG want to release.

I also think it sucks that LRG have been around for a while now and have a lot of Vita games lined up to release. Not sure why Sony cannot work with them on this issue. It can be argued that LRG have breathed more life into the Vita gamers/collectors in North America in the past couple years than any other entity. Sony themselves abandoned the Vita long ago, yet LRG specifically were out there grinding, lining up release after release. Also, they created an environment and business model for other limited run games companies to arise on other continents. Been a big fan of Sony since the PS1, but pretty irritated over several of their decisions in recent months.
I agree with you, but I will say that from the legal perspective, the sooner Sony ends support for the Vita, the sooner they can start running the clock on various laws that require them to provide repairs and other post warranty support.

It's been a while since I update the shipping list, so here's a post-holiday update. Anything that went from TBD to an actual date or got delayed is in bold.

Shipping "Now"/December

• Kingdoms: New Lands (Switch/PS4/PC)
  • Late Shift (PS4)
  • Kingdom: New Lands Vinyl
  • Another World OST
  • Phantom Breaker CE (PS4/Vita)
  • GALF (NES)
  • Narcosis (PS4)
  • Furi (Switch)
  • Another World (PS4/Vita)
  • Layers of Fear (PS4)
  • Dragon's Lair (PS4)
  • Defender's Quest (PS4/Vita)
  • 8 Bit Adventure Anthology (PS4)
  • To the Top (PSVR)
  • Broken Age (Switch)
  • Butcher (PS4)
Shipping January

• Layers of Fear (Switch)
  • Furi (Switch CE)
  • Golf Story CE (Switch)
  • Mages of Mystralia (PS4)
  • Everspace (PS4)
  • Dragon Sinker (PS4/Vita)
  • Night Trap (Vita)
  • Siralam 2 (PS4/Vita)
  • Double Switch (PS4)
  • Battle Chef Brigade (PS4)
  • Rabi-Ribi (PS4/Vita)
  • Race the Sun (PS4/Vita)
  • West of Loathing (Switch)
  • Jak and Daxter (PS4)
Shipping in Late January

• Outlast: Bundle of Terror (Switch)
  • Outlast 2 (Switch)
  • Outlast 1/2 CE
  • Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
  • Yooka Laylee (Switch CE)
  • PixelJunk Monsters 2 (PS4/Switch)
  • Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch)
Shipping February

• Dust (Switch)
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (Switch + CE)
  • Jak and Daxter (CE)
  • Sigil (PC)

Shipping Eventually (TBA/no date)

• Golf Story Vinyl
  • Defender's Quest OST
  • Headlander (PS4)

Overall, they were able to ship out quite a few games in December, but not nearly as many as they'd slated. Everything seems to have slid back around a month, and most of the formerly "TBA" games were slated for January. A few notable exceptions being Butcher and Broken Age which were moved to December from TBA and January respectively. From the list, you can probably infer that most of the December releases will slip into January and that will continue to create a domino effect. They've largely stopped listing dates as "shipping dates" and instead are listing these as "on-hand dates" which is understandably different from a business perspective, but from a consumer perspective these are the only dates we have to base any kind of expectation or accountability on.

As best I can tell they're up to the September 28 sale except for the few oddball releases (i.e. PixelJunk, Everspace), which puts us at approximately three months (11 releases) behind on shipping. It seems like they're having better luck sticking to dates with Nintendo releases than Sony releases at the moment, though that may improve when the Vita releases bottom out next year.

Happy belated holidays all, and may you get your shit sooner rather than later.

Odd question...Do any of these games ship from Russia?  Only reason I ask is that the only game (Dragon's Lair) I have left coming to me from anywhere is from LRG.  I got a UPS Quantum View email Tracking number and the origination is from Moscow, lol...I hope its not Uranium.

Odd question...Do any of these games ship from Russia? Only reason I ask is that the only game (Dragon's Lair) I have left coming to me from anywhere is from LRG. I got a UPS Quantum View email Tracking number and the origination is from Moscow, lol...I hope its not Uranium.
Uhhh, nope. Should be Cary or a surrounding city in North Carolina (depending on when UPS bothers to actually make the initial scan).

That said, it's most likely a scan error than an actual package coming to you from Russia.

Thinking I'm going to try to squeeze Celeste, Sundered, and that Switch shmup all into one order. I guess that means I'll be waiting far longer to get all three at the benefit of saving a couple bucks on shipping, but my backlog is big enough to allow me to forget I ordered them anyway. 

<snip twitter>

Good to hear, glad I did end up picking up my BB Golf Story.
Thanks for posting that. I wonder if they'll address the Cart version being 1.0.0 and the digital being 1.0.1 . I'm kind of worried I'm going to start playing and encounter bugs that were fixed in 1.0.1.

Thanks for posting that. I wonder if they'll address the Cart version being 1.0.0 and the digital being 1.0.1 . I'm kind of worried I'm going to start playing and encounter bugs that were fixed in 1.0.1.
Why don't you send them an e-mail? No sense in posting it here repeatedly.

DvcYWbnX4AMn6f-.jpg

This is some nice boxart right here

They are releasing a Celeste CE for PS4 and Switch.
I like that they are including a steelbook, but why the cassette soundtrack? I don't even have a tape player anymore. At least I can play CDs pretty much anywhere still. Other than the steelbook and outer box design, there is not much at all that impresses me about this CE.

I like that they are including a steelbook, but why the cassette soundtrack? I don't even have a tape player anymore. At least I can play CDs pretty much anywhere still. Other than the steelbook and outer box design, there is not much at all that impresses me about this CE.

Unfortunately I've ran into a different issue lately... I can't collect CDs any longer. I used to love to, even got many signed by artists. I switched to Mac a year ago and my new car is all digital too, no slots for any physical media anywhere anymore.

Unfortunately I've ran into a different issue lately... I can't collect CDs any longer. I used to love to, even got many signed by artists. I switched to Mac a year ago and my new car is all digital too, no slots for any physical media anywhere anymore.
A USB CD/DVD drive that you can use on your computer is pretty cheap. The last one I bought was maybe $20 on newegg. With it you can rip any new CD's you get to digital. Then take those digital files and throw them on a jump drive and use them in your car. That's pretty much what I do these days for the limited music I buy. Plus I tend to go with Amazon (sold by Amazon) since much of their stuff has a free audiorip version included. Of course if your car doesn't have a usb port with music playback and your computer has no usb ports.. .then yeah you would be out of luck there.

It's a pain in the ass to do anything with cassette tapes. It just goes to show how much thought they put into these things. Might as well throw in an 8 track and a making of documentary on a 35mm reel.

A USB CD/DVD drive that you can use on your computer is pretty cheap. The last one I bought was maybe $20 on newegg. With it you can rip any new CD's you get to digital. Then take those digital files and throw them on a jump drive and use them in your car. That's pretty much what I do these days for the limited music I buy. Plus I tend to go with Amazon (sold by Amazon) since much of their stuff has a free audiorip version included. Of course if your car doesn't have a usb port with music playback and your computer has no usb ports.. .then yeah you would be out of luck there.

It's a pain in the ass to do anything with cassette tapes. It just goes to show how much thought they put into these things. Might as well throw in an 8 track and a making of documentary on a 35mm reel.
I’m all about physical media though I felt my hand forced nowadays. My new car has CarPlay, I have prime and Spotify, it’s just so easy to plug and stream now.

Yeah I thought the cassette tape thing was a bit weird as well. It felt like they chose to sacrifice function for novelty. But it seems to be a significant trend lately. I collect horror/sci-fi films and a popular thing to do in that industry right now is to re-release VHS tapes of cult films and such, despite the fact that the utility and film quality is undoubtedly poorer than DVD or Blu-Ray. At least with 12" vinyl records there's some debate that the sound quality is better than CD. But with cassette tape I don't think there is any argument.   

tapes have seen a bit of resurgence along with vinyl collection fwiw, and Celeste has collecting tapes as part of it's gameplay, so there ya go

Guess that's a good enough reason. Lol
Bleh. Practicality > novelty. I'd be okay with the cassette if they included a CD. The cassette is basically just a display piece, at best. CDs can have their songs ripped, easily and can be played by tons of media devices.

I've said it several times, but I feel like an artbook and CD soundtrack should be obligatory for any collector's edition. As of now, the only thing I'd even care for in the Celeste CE is the poster. The steelbook looks nice, but I personally don't dig them. I like my shelf to look consistent and steelbooks stick out. Everything else in the CE is pretty much junk, as far as I'm concerned. Even the plushy looks pretty crummy.

The VHS and cassette tape trend is retarded hipster shit, end of story.

But it is incredibly stupid that modern cars and computer manufacturers have decided to forgo optical CD/DVD/BD drives because reasons.  PC gamers are just now starting to realize that they aren't seeing price discount benefits with new release games bc of digital distribution.  New release gaming is cheaper on PS4 and XB1.

Everything else in the CE is pretty much junk, as far as I'm concerned.
But isn't this technically true of just about any collector's edition? Oh yeah, I went there.

I understand that a tape cassette is horribly impractical as a means of conveying music in this day and age. But the whole reason that it is included in this edition is because it has significance to the game itself. This makes it a meaningful extra, even if it is horribly outdated in terms of technology. The point isn't actually providing the soundtrack, it's providing a collectible item related to the game. In this regard the cassette checks out.

I'm not interested in this collector's edition. Not because it has an anachronistic music format, but because I've become largely disenchanted with collector's editions in general. It's very rare for me to spring for the more expensive collector's editions. I don't feel any pressing desire for the extras, and they will ultimately just take up extra space. The regular editions already take up a sufficient amount of space, why pile onto that?

Maybe I've been out of it, but I haven't seen any trend about cassettes and VHS returning. Closest I've seen is some people who are interested in rare VHS that didn't get released on any other format.

But yea, a disc drive is a necessity in a PC, as far as I'm concerned. I want to be able to rip my CDs, I want to be able to watch my Blu Ray and DvDs. In a car, it's a little less of a big deal for me because it's less practical to change CDs while driving or leave them in the car.

But isn't this technically true of just about any collector's edition? Oh yeah, I went there.
I mean, it depends what you mean by "junk". Posters, soundtracks and artbooks are things I'd use for their intended purposes. Stickers, a post card, and a cassette all just go back in the box after a glance.

And they say we should email them instead of talking about stuff here. ... LRG just tweeted:

"Remember this awesome Cassette Tape that will come inside the Celeste Collector's Edition? Well, thanks to the composer Lena Raine @kuraine every CE will now have a soundtrack download code emailed to you as well! So if you don't have a tape player, then no worries!"

So they are throwing in a digital soundtrack with the CE now.

And they say we should email them instead of talking about stuff here. ... LRG just tweeted:

"Remember this awesome Cassette Tape that will come inside the Celeste Collector's Edition? Well, thanks to the composer Lena Raine @kuraine every CE will now have a soundtrack download code emailed to you as well! So if you don't have a tape player, then no worries!"

So they are throwing in a digital soundtrack with the CE now.
You really do need to get over yourself. Not only were you not the first to raise this issue, but your solution wasn't even to provide a digital download. People were raising these complaints on Twitter and various LRG Facebook groups (including one that I am a member of where several LRG employees are active members) literally less than 10 minutes after the contents were revealed. It was the composer that suggested a solution and surely you don't believe that person is following this thread, do you? I mean, I can't understand why you are still in this thread after you smeared LRG last week accusing them of incompetence in estimating their allotment. You were wrong about that and didn't have the class or integrity to apologize or admit you got it wrong.

Maybe I've been out of it, but I haven't seen any trend about cassettes and VHS returning. Closest I've seen is some people who are interested in rare VHS that didn't get released on any other format.

But yea, a disc drive is a necessity in a PC, as far as I'm concerned. I want to be able to rip my CDs, I want to be able to watch my Blu Ray and DvDs. In a car, it's a little less of a big deal for me because it's less practical to change CDs while driving or leave them in the car.
This. I run mac for everything, but i did buy a bluray drive so i can do just this. My game PC has a bluray drive also.
Less on an issue in a car, even though my truck does have a cd player i use carplay 99% of the time.

And outside of vinyl i have not heard of any resurgence of older media types either.

Another thing to note: the Celeste cassette tape won’t have the full soundtrack, but the digital download will have the full soundtrack.

Also, Best Buy will be carrying 5-8000 copies of Celeste for the switch.

danmaku unlimited 3 is only on switch right? there's no psn version coming out?

I'd rather get it for ps4 so I'm just checking that it's switch exclusive.

Another thing to note: the Celeste cassette tape won’t have the full soundtrack, but the digital download will have the full soundtrack.

good. i'll pickup the switch version at BB with GCU. i might get the PS4 CE from them. pricey but what can i do when u really want it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Emails were sent out detailing the big backroom sale happening also on Tuesday with the Celeste launch. Lots of blind box options as well as games being sold directly. Since they moved offices again they uncovered some extra stuff to sell as well. Should be cool for those interested. The site also updated with some of the listings. If I get anything it'll be Celeste, though I'm thinking I'm going to just go digital for it or wait to see what the BB cover is as the LRG direct version is a bit bland.

Emails were sent out detailing the big backroom sale happening also on Tuesday with the Celeste launch. Lots of blind box options as well as games being sold directly. Since they moved offices again they uncovered some extra stuff to sell as well. Should be cool for those interested. The site also updated with some of the listings. If I get anything it'll be Celeste, though I'm thinking I'm going to just go digital for it or wait to see what the BB cover is as the LRG direct version is a bit bland.
I feel like I hear this every year during their blind box sale... that they keep uncovering stuff. I get they're growing and all that, but I figured by now they would be better organized.

I'm thinking of doing the PS4 steelbook Blind Box but am wondering what steelbooks I have a chance at getting.  Does anyone have a complete list of the LRG PS4 games that had steelbooks?  I'm pretty sure I have all their Switch steelbooks, but want to pick up a few PS4 ones as well.

Also, I may pick up a few of their $9.99 soundtrack blind boxes since I don't usually get the soundtrack option for games on their site.

My main want on 1/1 remains the Celeste Switch CE (mainly for the steelbook).

Did they announce this on their twitter?

"Uncovered" some extra stuff. More like... keeping 10 copies of B&C around to bait people into blind boxes for the next decade or so.

Actually a lot of people into music get tapes. I know in the horror world, a lot of releases get VHS stuff as collectors items, so both are doing well. fuck, you can buy cassettes at Target right now... and players.

Disc drive as necessity? Nah. Most games are digital, most people consume music and content digitally. Get rid of the drive and you just forced them to accept it all as digital. I know PLENTY of people with no drives.

Basically my point is, you naysay things that are coming back, but the thing that honestly IS dying you defend. Fans and collectors love the vintage crap, even if they don't use it.

Actually a lot of people into music get tapes. I know in the horror world, a lot of releases get VHS stuff as collectors items, so both are doing well. fuck, you can buy cassettes at Target right now... and players.

Disc drive as necessity? Nah. Most games are digital, most people consume music and content digitally. Get rid of the drive and you just forced them to accept it all as digital. I know PLENTY of people with no drives.

Basically my point is, you naysay things that are coming back, but the thing that honestly IS dying you defend. Fans and collectors love the vintage crap, even if they don't use it.
Okay... several things, here.

First off, while there may be some people who collect cassettes and VHS for novelty purposes, or for the obscure, format-exclusive release, to say cassettes and VHS are doing well is just silly or pandering to a very low metric of success. New albums, movies and shows are coming out either digitally, on vinyl or disc. Only one of those formats is supported by modern, general media devices. Neither my local Walmart or Target sell VHS or cassette, by the way. Both carry tons of CDs, DvDs and Blu Ray, though.

Second, did you not read the part where I said, "as far as I'm concerned?" I don't care if you don't use a disc drive. I do. PLENTY of people do. And it's not just for playing music or games, as I've said. If I get a CD, I get digital at the same time, as, with a disc drive, I can rip the songs to my computer while also having the disc in my physical library to use with any of my several other compatible devices.

Third, recent researches have shown that physical media in music is actually defeating digital downloads in popularity. Streaming is currently the primary, preferred medium for music. Physical albums are second, outselling digital ones.

Finally, as I've stated, I'm arguing for basic practicality. CDs are FAR more contemporary than cassettes and FAR more practical. Arguing otherwise is just plain stupid. Hell, LRG survives on the idea that physical media still has a home in modern technology, and it obviously does. But to say that the most practical forms of physical media are dying and junk like cassettes and VHS are "coming back" is laughable, at best.

People can like useless, "vintage" shit all they want. I prefer shit that's both cool and good for more than sitting in a box.

bread's done
Back