Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
LRG shipped a metal slug variant that the ESRB didn't approve apparently, might be worth holding your copy if you get that cover. Josh is busy covering it up on discord, hope they get fined
Weird for them to be making a rookie mistake now.

Yep. Can you imagine hating a company so much that despite claiming not to buy their products, you still take the time to scour their Discord on a regular basis? The obsession is tragic.
I'm not in their discord, someone else pointed it out

I take it, there’s a serious review embargo in place for River City Girls. Seems like they would want reviews out to help the preorder since it’s out tomorrow. Why hide them? I’m not biting until someone can put out a solid review with some comparisons to other greats in the genre. It’s nice having my hype tempered. Seems like this won’t be in low enough supply to worry about.

I loved the giga wrecker alt CE, but i refused to buy it, as i had no idea if the game was any good, so I passed. Reviews came out, i read them, and was like, eh, and now I have no interest in buying it.

But then i got the toejam and earl preorder, and it turned out just fine. So caveat emptor, my friend.

Interestingly enough, it seems like LRG is the reason Play-Asia had to temporarily close pre-orders for River City Girls. In their most recent Fireside Chat they mentioned they've been pushing for exclusivity with devs lately. It sounded like it was from the time the contract is signed until their sale happens, so not permanent, but enough to block simultaneous releases. Correlation isn't causation obviously, but it does make a good case.

As for the Metal Slug 3 cover, it's a $15,000 fine from ESRB if the ESRB fines them. I don't know if they will, but it's not like it's going to make LRG close their doors one way or another. It's like Congress fining a bank, they can afford it and they'll move on.

All of this said, LRG hasn't been doing themselves a lot of favors lately. They have almost 100 SKUs of unshipped items, shipping dates feel more and more like guesses, and they're generally not as dev/consumer friendly as they once were. Which makes sense, because by the numbers they're definitely in the "big dog" ranks of publishers. I know others have been saying that for a while, but it's really situations like these that make me realize just how much they've changed over the years.

Hopefully they just get a warning because $15,000 is a lot.
It's stupidly high for the "offense", but I don't think it'll hurt LRG that much unless they were already in the financial gutter. You have to consider that they make $5-$10 (after Sony/dev cut but before operating expenses like payroll, rent, taxes) on every game sold and they sell literally thousands of games every week.

Interestingly enough, it seems like LRG is the reason Play-Asia had to temporarily close pre-orders for River City Girls. In their most recent Fireside Chat they mentioned they've been pushing for exclusivity with devs lately. It sounded like it was from the time the contract is signed until their sale happens, so not permanent, but enough to block simultaneous releases. Correlation isn't causation obviously, but it does make a good case.
I didn't get that impression at all from Josh's statements during the last Fireside. It sounded to me like they are trying to have more frank conversations with developers about other deals they may have closed or plan to close so they can avoid situations where other limited publishers are releasing the same game before or after the LRG version makes it out (for example like Bard's Tale or Splasher). Every time something like that happens, there is a lot of negative reaction on Twitter and forums claiming that LRG somehow wasted a release or is a ripoff compared to the other version. I think frankly having more communication up front with developers is a very good thing and will hopefully result in less surprise DLC and delayed releases.

the play asia standard release is getting the 2 disc soundtrack from the lrg ce.

The asian release also has a completely different cover art from LRG or bestbuy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get that impression at all from Josh's statements during the last Fireside. It sounded to me like they are trying to have more frank conversations with developers about other deals they may have closed or plan to close so they can avoid situations where other limited publishers are releasing the same game before or after the LRG version makes it out (for example like Bard's Tale or Splasher). Every time something like that happens, there is a lot of negative reaction on Twitter and forums claiming that LRG somehow wasted a release or is a ripoff compared to the other version. I think frankly having more communication up front with developers is a very good thing and will hopefully result in less surprise DLC and delayed releases.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/474126622

Around 23:20 in, Josh says "We don't actively try to sign games that are already coming out in Asia, usually when that happens it's because a partner kind of missed the part of our agreement where it's supposed to be exclusive, or sometimes it's like an instance where we straight-up can't have exclusivity in Asia and we don't really have an idea that an Asian release is coming."

So two real skews here:

1. They are actively seeking exclusivity on games they sign
  2. They don't intentionally sign games with Asian-English releases (though Josh does go on to state that they may consider it if they don't feel like the niche was served).

To your point, I think it's good if they're more open and honest with devs, but under these agreements it seems like nobody else is allowed to sell physical copies before LRG. For European folks that have to pay $15 in shipping for a release, they'd much rather buy it from StrictlyLimited, RedArt, Signature Edition, or one of the EU groups. I just don't understand who this helps beyond kneecapping potential competitors; more choice is always better for the consumer, and if the market is saturated or doesn't want it then it'll speak for itself.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/474126622

Around 23:20 in, Josh says "We don't actively try to sign games that are already coming out in Asia, usually when that happens it's because a partner kind of missed the part of our agreement where it's supposed to be exclusive, or sometimes it's like an instance where we straight-up can't have exclusivity in Asia and we don't really have an idea that an Asian release is coming."

So two real skews here:

1. They are actively seeking exclusivity on games they sign
  2. They don't intentionally sign games with Asian-English releases (though Josh does go on to state that they may consider it if they don't feel like the niche was served).
To your point, I think it's good if they're more open and honest with devs, but under these agreements it seems like nobody else is allowed to sell physical copies before LRG. For European folks that have to pay $15 in shipping for a release, they'd much rather buy it from StrictlyLimited, RedArt, Signature Edition, or one of the EU groups. I just don't understand who this helps beyond kneecapping potential competitors; more choice is always better, and if the market is saturated or doesn't want it then it'll speak for itself.
I didn't understand the exclusivity Josh was talking about as something new. In fact, my recollection is that they have always maintained an exclusive first release worldwide (except in those unusual situations where they are knowingly rereleasing something that was only ever released in another region) and then the developer is free to go elsewhere. Having said that, I also recall several instances like Ghost Blade where the contract provided for worldwide exclusivity and the developer still signed with Play Asia without informing LRG. Ultimately, LRG cancelled the release because they didn't believe there was enough demand left to justify doing what was essentially a second release of the same game. I agree that exclusivity of that type ultimately benefits LRG and not consumers, but I don't know that I would be interested in continually taking the risk of a second cheaper version of the same physical game being released if I owned a limited physical release company. It just seems like too much uncertainty for the business and a really poor way to establish the contractual terms if that is what other limited companies are doing.

Except there’s no risk with preorder games. That’s the beauty. They only need to meet the minimum order quantities. With BB buying a lot of stock up front that means it’s pretty much impossible for them to bomb when it comes to the switch releases. With PS4 preorders it’s a bit riskier, but the minimums are lower and they are overcharging enough to cover some extra stock. Hopefully devs reconsider new release games before going forward with a contract. I’m sure this did actual harm to RCG as the preorder for the game was going to open months ago with PA .. and PA was committed to shipping the game at launch rather than months later.

Except there’s no risk with preorder games. That’s the beauty. They only need to meet the minimum order quantities. With BB buying a lot of stock up front that means it’s pretty much impossible for them to bomb when it comes to the switch releases. With PS4 preorders it’s a bit riskier, but the minimums are lower and they are overcharging enough to cover some extra stock. Hopefully devs reconsider new release games before going forward with a contract. I’m sure this did actual harm to RCG as the preorder for the game was going to open months ago with PA .. and PA was committed to shipping the game at launch rather than months later.
Exactly, pretty much everything LRG pops up is guaranteed to sell well on the Switch and well enough to meet MOQ on PS4. The side things like PC releases are hit and miss, but Star Wars seems to be doing well.

I'm a little more understanding of the shipping times because of the open pre-order system. I understand they want to meet demand and not have angry fans that weren't able to get an item or massive surpluses of games lying around.

However, with the sheer volume of stuff they're releasing and need to ship out it really seems like they really should have more people on the shipping team. Josh has previously commented that he didn't want to hire people just to work through the current backlog because it would slow down eventually and then they'd have nothing to do, but that was last year and I think we've all realized that it's not going to slow down. Even with the second shipping team they move ~10 SKUs in a month and they sell far more than that. With larger releases like River City Girls that they had 15K+ units to ship, I imagine that number will drop even further due to sheer volume.

Seems like that would be PERFECT work for some part time employees.  Like HS kids and College Kids not wanting to work fast food but wanting a part time job for some extra cash.  Not every employee needs to be higher paid full time with benefits.

LRG shipped a metal slug variant that the ESRB didn't approve apparently, might be worth holding your copy if you get that cover. Josh is busy covering it up on discord, hope they get fined
What's different from the ESRB approved version and the shipped version?

it's an entirely different cover.
also up till now i think all of them shipped out were the gun pointing covers (esrb unapproved). Maybe all of them are? and the correct covers were never sent out?

Seems like that would be PERFECT work for some part time employees. Like HS kids and College Kids not wanting to work fast food but wanting a part time job for some extra cash. Not every employee needs to be higher paid full time with benefits.
Yeah, they should look into temp worker too. The retail store do it all the time for holidays. People are paying extra money for shipping but the process isn't get any faster, it's getting slower.

Finally found some reviews of RCG. It sounds pretty decent so far though I’m hoping someone with a deeper history of beatemups does a review because so far all I’ve read are from casual fans at best. I only buy the best of the genre. If it stacks up well to Scott Pilgrim and is way better than Double Dragon Neon, I’ll consider it. If it’s on par with 99 Vidas it can go in the trash. Phantom Breaker was decent, though not worth more than the couple of bucks I paid. I don’t find most modern beat-em-ups or shmups very fun, but occasionally there is a real gem of a game that reminds me that I do love those genre.

Doesn't all the Red Dead games cover have a character pointing a gun at you? That is one dumb fine.
I just looked at a bunch of covers and the guns all aim at angles away from the viewer. It’s a dumb rule, but if that’s the rule then they have to follow it. Both the front and back art for MS3 have a dude with a gun aimed directly at the viewer. This art was used in one of the foreign releases on PS2 ... so it’s not new... just new for a NA release.

Will LRG be fined, I think it all depends on how they handle the situation and report it themselves rather than wait for it to be discovered.

Seems like that would be PERFECT work for some part time employees. Like HS kids and College Kids not wanting to work fast food but wanting a part time job for some extra cash. Not every employee needs to be higher paid full time with benefits.
Pretty sure the delay isn't a bottleneck in the actual shipping room. At least with most of my orders, they are being held up by things that haven't come in yet.

Pretty sure the delay isn't a bottleneck in the actual shipping room. At least with most of my orders, they are being held up by things that haven't come in yet.
There are over 20 items on their production updates page that say "shipping now" or "shipping soon". If that doesn't mean they're on-hand that's bad communication on their part.

If the issue is that they aren't getting things in on time, that's a logistics issue they need to work out with Sony and Nintendo. I understand open pre-orders mean some turnaround time, but you can't tell me that the six month wait for Projet Lux or the consistent CE delays are Sony's doing.

There are over 20 items on their production updates page that say "shipping now" or "shipping soon". If that doesn't mean they're on-hand that's bad communication on their part.

If the issue is that they aren't getting things in on time, that's a logistics issue they need to work out with Sony and Nintendo. I understand open pre-orders mean some turnaround time, but you can't tell me that the six month wait for Projet Lux or the consistent CE delays are Sony's doing.
The thing is, most of their customers don't just buy single items. I know all of my singles from what is currently listed as "shipping now" have been shipped or at least I have received the shipping confirmation in the last few days. Everything else is waiting on at least one additional item to come in. I'm pretty sure that Project Lux was not a shipping room delay, but a delay in the manufacturing and approval process. I'm not saying those things aren't LRG's fault as they may very well be (and there are things they can do to reduce waits like not opening orders until everything is fully in place logistically), but I just don't believe based on what I have seen that the shipping room is backlogged more than a few days at this point.

The thing is, most of their customers don't just buy single items. I know all of my singles from what is currently listed as "shipping now" have been shipped or at least I have received the shipping confirmation in the last few days. Everything else is waiting on at least one additional item to come in. I'm pretty sure that Project Lux was not a shipping room delay, but a delay in the manufacturing and approval process. I'm not saying those things aren't LRG's fault as they may very well be (and there are things they can do to reduce waits like not opening orders until everything is fully in place logistically), but I just don't believe based on what I have seen that the shipping room is backlogged more than a few days at this point.
Yeah, that's not true. The production updates page is updated when singles get shipped. I buy almost exclusively singles and no non-Vita order I've placed since May has been fulfilled. I don't think I'm in the minority by buying single games, either; very few people are actually trying to keep up with everything they put out.

They shipped out 10 SKUs in August and they have close to 100 unfulfilled, with over 20 marked as shipping now or soon. Then another 29 marked as shipping out in August/September. I'd love to eat my words and have them crank out 50 SKUs in September, but the data really doesn't support that happening.

I keep a running update every two weeks to track this stuff in this thread. They aren't transparent in offering when something is on-hand versus actually in manufacturing, but they're nearing a quarter of a million units of sold and unshipped product (they may actually be over that, since open pre-order numbers haven't been consistently published) and that sure does make it feel like something in their logistics process is broken.

Has anyone had any luck with their wait list in the past?

I put myself on it after missing out on Metal Slug 3 for Vita moments after it sold out, but now I'm debating if I should just buy it on eBay and bite the bullet.

Bro you'll get your shit eventually......

.......right in the middle of the next gen.

Yeah, that's not true. The production updates page is updated when singles get shipped. I buy almost exclusively singles and no non-Vita order I've placed since May has been fulfilled. I don't think I'm in the minority by buying single games, either; very few people are actually trying to keep up with everything they put out.

They shipped out 10 SKUs in August and they have close to 100 unfulfilled, with over 20 marked as shipping now or soon. Then another 29 marked as shipping out in August/September. I'd love to eat my words and have them crank out 50 SKUs in September, but the data really doesn't support that happening.

I keep a running update every two weeks to track this stuff in this thread. They aren't transparent in offering when something is on-hand versus actually in manufacturing, but they're nearing a quarter of a million units of sold and unshipped product (they may actually be over that, since open pre-order numbers haven't been consistently published) and that sure does make it feel like something in their logistics process is broken.
I'm not sure how you're getting to your numbers, but I count only 10 items listed as "Shipping in progress". At the end of last week I had confirmations on Bubsy, the Funkotron case and the March 15th bundle which was waiting on the NES soundtrack cart. I tend to buy just about everything, so my orders tend to be waiting for at least one or two additional items to ship all the time. I would also point out that especially with open Switch preorders and some of the longer preorder windows running from 2-4 weeks, many people tend to wait a week or two or even longer and then order multiple titles. Very rarely will games from multiple weeks come in at the same time. Again, I agree that LRG has some issues getting stuff in and taking orders too soon on certain items, but I don't get the impression based on what I see on various forums or other places that people are waiting very long after something shows "Shipping in Progress" if they are truly sole item orders.

So in other words. LRG opens preorder pages before the ink in the contract has barely dried and is racking up debt from unfullfilled orders. Eh. It seems to be working for them for now at least.

Has anyone had any luck with their wait list in the past?

I put myself on it after missing out on Metal Slug 3 for Vita moments after it sold out, but now I'm debating if I should just buy it on eBay and bite the bullet.
I was on the waiting list for Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition for the Wii U and I did get one it just took a few months after the game sold out on LRG site and the game shipped to customer with metal slug 3 for vita they still haven't shipped out the Collector's Edition for the game I would wait until they ship out the Collector's Edition (shipping some time in October) before going to ebay

Also said they may have found some good titles for PS3, clarified NOT Scott Pilgrim.
It's probably something that's on a bunch of other systems or too indie to really be interesting to me.

Scott Pilgrim is a pipe dream, but a good one. I at least have that digital and didn't miss the boat on it before it was delisted. Yakuza 5, I'm over wanting that since it's getting a physical release on PS4 with the content that was cut or edited in the US release along with a new translation. I'm not sure if there's much left on the PS3 that would legitimately tempt me to spend the cash.

It's probably something that's on a bunch of other systems or too indie to really be interesting to me.

Scott Pilgrim is a pipe dream, but a good one. I at least have that digital and didn't miss the boat on it before it was delisted. Yakuza 5, I'm over wanting that since it's getting a physical release on PS4 with the content that was cut or edited in the US release along with a new translation. I'm not sure if there's much left on the PS3 that would legitimately tempt me to spend the cash.
Tokyo Jungle? Wiki seems to indicate it got physical in Japan, so it's likely formatted right. Kinda strikes me as the kind of game that'd just suddenly get a switch version announced alongside an unexpected sequel, though - if not now, then at some point, on some future system.

Only other ones that come to mind are the unfinished swan (though that's also on ps4 storefront), and...maybe Strongbad's cool game for attractive people, since that one never got a physical like the Sam&Max games did on wii?

Tokyo Jungle? Wiki seems to indicate it got physical in Japan, so it's likely formatted right.

Only other ones that come to mind are the unfinished swan (though that's also on ps4 storefront), and...maybe Strongbad's cool game for attractive people, since that one never got a physical like the Sam&Max games did on wii?
I'm thinking this is a prime candidate since I recall Josh mentioning his love of it at some point.

Tokyo Jungle? Wiki seems to indicate it got physical in Japan, so it's likely formatted right. Kinda strikes me as the kind of game that'd just suddenly get a switch version announced alongside an unexpected sequel, though - if not now, then at some point, on some future system.

Tokyo Jungle already has a physical release for Ps3 in North America. It is on a disk with Sound Shapes and Fat Princess.

Tokyo Jungle already has a physical release for Ps3 in North America. It is on a disk with Sound Shapes and Fat Princess.

I'm thinking this is a prime candidate since I recall Josh mentioning his love of it at some point.
I really though that had a Wii physical release, must have been confusing it with the PC version, which I know did since I own that one somewhere. I loved that game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back