Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I bought Star Wars Republic Commando for Switch from Limited Run Games on 4/22/21 and I'm still waiting on it.  Should it be still coming to me?  Does it always take this long?

I bought Star Wars Republic Commando for Switch from Limited Run Games on 4/22/21 and I'm still waiting on it. Should it be still coming to me? Does it always take this long?
Longer. With LRG, you're usually looking at a minimum of six months. My 2/17/21 order isn't estimated to ship until August.

Anyone ordered the reproduction carts for smws games? Should I order them or does reproduction carts have a chance for not working
They'll work but these are aftermarket and unlicensed so expect some complaints to pop up. Most of time connector pins can actually damage your aging hardware or the carts overheat. With Shantae on Gameboy color, someone posted that you can't open up the cart without damaging it in some way.

It's a semantics game to a point. Bootlegs are unlicensed and unauthorized versions of games. Stuff like the Mega Man X and Shante GBC are licensed releases by the IP holders but not by Nintendo. So you don't have the same rigorous quality standards to make sure there aren't too many outstanding issues with the cartridges.

I don't know if it's semantics. I think it's just the in-between of a bootleg and a console maker's approved release, because like you said, they're still fully licensed by the game's original developers and/or publishers.

Anyone not getting shipping notification emails from LRG anymore?

Last few shipments I never got emails telling me they shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping the PS5 Shantae games were all coming at once but okay. I'm in. I skipped them here and there because I wanted them all on the same console. This might be my only shot.

Shantae Risky's Revenge (Switch) Preorder page is on Bestbuy now... same 7/20 release date as the first game... it's not live for pre-ordering yet...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shantae-riskys-revenge-directors-cut-nintendo-switch/6468709.p?skuId=6468709

Oddly the cover for this one is excellent:
6468709_sd.jpg

God damn, Shantae is prob like a free money scheme for LRG... I bought tons of Shantae stuff from them, but this is insane. I do want that CE though, that SB looks pretty cool.
They're selling each of the Shantae games 2-3 times (Switch, PS4, PS5), it's a pretty blatant cashgrab in my eyes.Especially the "reprint loophole" they're carving for themselves with the PS5 versions. I expect the Xbox and eventual Switch 2 to get ports and physicals for each title too at this point. The IP just prints money for them (and Wayforward).

Glad for those that wanted the games and missed out on the previous versions, but I have no desire to buy the same game from them multiple times, especially when my PS4 disc works perfectly fine in a PS5. And LRG's CEs are, as usual, comically overpriced.

I guess they told the artist to drawn a Shantae cover so he popped out the one we see on Risky's Revenge. Then they said oh, shit we meant two covers so he quickly popped out the crap that's on Shantae. Also, it feels right to play Shantae games on Nintendo consoles. No desire for the games on PS5 until WayForward releases Shantae 7 as a Playstation exclusive. ;)

Despite posting the link to the listing earlier, I'm not actually planning to buy either game on BB.  I have the first three games on my New3DS... I don't really need these on every system ever.  If I want to play them, i already can.... though to be honest, I've never played a Shantae game all the way through more than once.

Despite posting the link to the listing earlier, I'm not actually planning to buy either game on BB. I have the first three games on my New3DS... I don't really need these on every system ever. If I want to play them, i already can.... though to be honest, I've never played a Shantae game all the way through more than once.
They're mostly good and occasionally very good Metroidvania/platformers, but the amount of hype and fanfare for the games is kind of absurd. I don't think you're missing out on much.

They're mostly good and occasionally very good Metroidvania/platformers, but the amount of hype and fanfare for the games is kind of absurd. I don't think you're missing out on much.
The thing with Shantae that made it special (besides being a good game)... was that I was there back in the day on IGN's boards posting along side (and with) the game creators and I went out and bought the GBC version when it launched just because it looked cool, I was a huge fan of the genre at the time, and it was kind of nice supporting people I was familiar with. One of the mods there even went to work for them. It was a cool time.

The games themselves are all solid (especially the art), but they never wowed me as much as other games in the genre.

Still no valid tracking/movement on my Obra CE either. They said to contact them yet again if there's no updates by the 2nd week of July.

Sounds like this move to DHL may end up costing them a lot of money if lose a bunch of packages.   "UPS Mail Innovations" was bad but sounds like DHL may be even worse.  It sure would make a lot of sense to just use USPS first class mail but I had heard that would require them to drive the packages in vs. someone coming to pick them up.  So I doubt they will do that but it sure would provide a much faster service.  Even if they shipped less frequently (drive in a big load of packages a few times a week), people would still get their stuff much faster if they used first class.

I ordered the same and it arrived completely smashed. Very annoying.
I haven't been thrilled with their packaging at times. They do try, I'll give them that. It's not like they are packaging like Amazon. But, given the overpriced CEs they sell and their obvious catering to the "collector" crowd, it is odd that they don't take more steps to mitigate damage. Bubble wrap is something, but if the box isn't sturdy enough any hit is just going to pop those bubbles when they only use one layer.

They've tried to blame the carriers before, which I can't stand. Anyone that thinks a carrier is going to be carefully handling packages at every step along the route is deluding themselves. The shipper can control the likelihood of damage occurring. I've received some stuff where the box looks destroyed and the contents inside are in perfect condition because of the interior packaging materials. It's not that hard. Really, LRG has an option for yet another revenue stream here - they can start charging for better packaging options! Want something in mint condition? Add $5.

LRG is releasing Risky's Revenge for a third time and another company is releasing a physical version of Among Us after LRG released their CE with no physical game.

It's starting to feel a whole lot like when GameStop made half of their stores ThinkGeek merch that nobody wanted.

LRG is releasing Risky's Revenge for a third time and another company is releasing a physical version of Among Us after LRG released their CE with no physical game.

It's starting to feel a whole lot like when GameStop made half of their stores ThinkGeek merch that nobody wanted.
Not only that, but Microids will be publishing physical versions of Panzer Dragoon which LRG released on PS4/Switch and BBY currently carries on Switch: https://www.gematsu.com/2021/07/microids-to-publish-physical-editions-of-forever-entertainments-panzer-dragoon-and-the-house-of-the-dead-games

Got an email this morning that Scott Pilgrim Classic Editions for PS4/Switch will be shipping soon, and gave a July 15th cutoff for updating address. Bittersweet as my Switch was stolen over a month ago, but wanted to post the update. I ordered the trading cards too with mine, not sure where in production those are.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Estimated Ship Date changed to July 2021:Estimated Ship Date changed to August 2021: 
Titles by Production Status:
  • In Production: 170 (90.9%)
  • On Deck: 17 (9.1%)

Titles by Estimated Ship Date:
  • TBD: 77 (41.2%)
  • July 2021: 46 (24.6%)
  • August 2021: 23 (12.3%)
  • Q4 2021: 8 (4.3%)
  • Q3 2021: 7 (3.7%)
  • October 2021: 3 (1.6%)
  • 2021: 3 (1.6%)
  • Q2 2021: 2 (1.1%)
  • May 2021: 1 (0.5%)

Yeah, my Obra Dinn CE was the first LRG shipment using DHL... it was "shipped" June 10 and still has no updates.
Man I really want to try Obra Dinn if it didn't make my eyes bleed. I get the visual style is part of the "charm", but wish there was another option.

I was looking at the Shantae stuff tomorrow and thinking I might buy the cards and then saw this... 

Each pack will include one of the cards with gold foil and the rest in silver. We will make sure orders of thirteen packs or more receive one of each unique gold card.

So in order to get all of the gold cards, you have to order 13 packs... and these cards are diff than the ones with the games. 

They're just pushing their luck and they're clearly winning.... :whistle2:

I keep thinking "surely this will be the shitty thing that turns people away from LRG" and it never is. Oh well, I'll just sit in my corner and continue to bitch about the Game Tengoku discs.

The fact that they are moving towards rereleasing a bunch of their games again on PS5 just makes it easier for me to pass on them, as I’m completely content with my PS4/Switch copies.

I'm just waiting on them releasing compilations of previously released games, rereleasing the same exact games on new consoles, "complete" versions, etc. They're basically just culture vultures to the collecting hobby at this point.

The fact that they are moving towards rereleasing a bunch of their games again on PS5 just makes it easier for me to pass on them, as I’m completely content with my PS4/Switch copies.
I honestly think them starting with Risky's Revenge is a litmus test... to see what people are willing to buy for the worst game in the series. ANd then ramp it up or down for the subsequent releases.

I honestly think them starting with Risky's Revenge is a litmus test... to see what people are willing to buy for the worst game in the series. ANd then ramp it up or down for the subsequent releases.
I doubt it for a number of reasons… they indicated on Twitter that they skipped the numbering to #4 to make room for the first game. They also listed a PS5 boxset slipcover for them, so I think they are pretty committed to rereleasing all of them, individually. Honestly, I probably would have bit for a compilation disc, but seeing the individual releases and all the additional swag they are listing is just madness.

Not only that, but Microids will be publishing physical versions of Panzer Dragoon which LRG released on PS4/Switch and BBY currently carries on Switch: https://www.gematsu.com/2021/07/microids-to-publish-physical-editions-of-forever-entertainments-panzer-dragoon-and-the-house-of-the-dead-games
Thanks! I missed this. Always good news to see games published and republished for physical. May be the Microids releases will include any additional updates/patches for Panzer and House of the Dead. Fingers crossed this includes PS4 releases.

I'm just waiting on them releasing compilations of previously released games, rereleasing the same exact games on new consoles, "complete" versions, etc. They're basically just culture vultures to the collecting hobby at this point.
I don't see any problem with it. There is nothing inherently bad about LRG making a game available to more consumers. Again, many/most of the games they publish are not ones that would get the disc-treatment.

Now I would be troubled if LRG were locking developers so that they couldn't reach publishing deals with others, BUT that is not what they do. I know many here complain about their practices and choices on packed extras, to which I'm indifferent as long as LRG continues to make a standard version available (I'm not interested in CEs or LEs).

Putting all that commotion aside, I will say LRG's decision to NOT lock developers into exclusive publishing deals is a GOOD practice. It means LRG could become a victim of its own marketing success. The clearest example being Streets of Rage 4 where Dotemu struck a separate deal with Merge to publish a retail version alongside LRG's release.

It also means other smaller/overlooked games LRG publishes/markets can get enough word-of-mouth for another publisher to pick it up and release it again. That certainly seems to be what has happened with the the Microids announcement.

All in all, it's a GOOD practice by LRG that does benefit consumers. Frankly, it's the most important one that IMHO keeps to LRG's slogan of promoting physical releases.

I doubt it for a number of reasons… they indicated on Twitter that they skipped the numbering to #4 to make room for the first game. They also listed a PS5 boxset slipcover for them, so I think they are pretty committed to rereleasing all of them, individually. Honestly, I probably would have bit for a compilation disc, but seeing the individual releases and all the additional swag they are listing is just madness.
I'm not saying they won't release all 5 games, I'm talking about all the other stuff (the merch). Like the clothing, stickers, etc. If the sales goo well this round, I'd wager they'll add more stuff next round.

I'm not saying they won't release all 5 games, I'm talking about all the other stuff (the merch). Like the clothing, stickers, etc. If the sales goo well this round, I'd wager they'll add more stuff next round.
Yeah, this is likely a sign of what is to come for game merch from LRG. Future releases will get skateboard decks and other stuff that they now have suppliers for. As long as it's all pre-orders and they don't have to put any (or much) money up front... it's more profits for them. None of that actually bothers me... other than what it could mean for further delays in shipping due to all the extra sku's.

Now I would be troubled if LRG were locking developers so that they couldn't reach publishing deals with others, BUT that is not what they do. I know many here complain about their practices and choices on packed extras, to which I'm indifferent as long as LRG continues to make a standard version available (I'm not interested in CEs or LEs).

Putting all that commotion aside, I will say LRG's decision to NOT lock developers into exclusive publishing deals is a GOOD practice. It means LRG could become a victim of its own marketing success. The clearest example being Streets of Rage 4 where Dotemu struck a separate deal with Merge to publish a retail version alongside LRG's release.

It also means other smaller/overlooked games LRG publishes/markets can get enough word-of-mouth for another publisher to pick it up and release it again. That certainly seems to be what has happened with the the Microids announcement.

All in all, it's a GOOD practice by LRG that does benefit consumers. Frankly, it's the most important one that IMHO keeps to LRG's slogan of promoting physical releases.
IIRC they do have exclusivity during the print run, but the SoR4 situation was a mix-up. Of course, devs are free to go wherever after the print run which I do agree is a positive.

Game availability is inherently a good thing, but if a game is popular enough to warrant being released by a limited company on three separate occasions (and I'm not convinced that it won't also be re-released on Xbox or the eventual Switch 2), I'd argue that it's a better candidate for a retail release than for a limited print release.

These games are clearly popular enough to succeed at retail, as they're some of LRG's highest-selling titles. Retail can also be reprinted as many times as needed, whereas repeated limited runs are always going to leave someone out (either someone who finds out about the series later, didn't have the money at the time of the pre-order window, etc.).

Beyond that, you also have to consider opportunity cost. LRG is the largest physical publisher in the world (in terms of number of titles, not quantity of those titles). They could instead spend that time/effort on securing other licenses, helping smaller indie releases get broader visibility with a release, or a myriad of other things. This game is already preserved, it already has a physical for collectors, it's hard to see a driver for doing this other than it being easy money. Which I get isn't unappealing, since they are a business at the end of the day, but it seems diametrically opposed to the values they've previously claimed to embody.

In other words, my two primary issues are:

1. The limited print model is ineffective at satiating the demand for these games.
  2. They could spend the same resources doing something other than the same game a third time.
My lesser complaints are that the PS5 re-releases are a loophole to their "we don't do reprints" thing, the lack of cohesion on some of the series-wide stuff they're doing (the statue thing screws over Switch buyers, the steelbook situation screwed over PS4 buyers), and that these all should have/could have been in a single release instead of individually released over who-knows-how-many months to gouge people. But I do feel like those points are more nitpicky/narrowly-applicable than the issues I highlighted above.

bread's done
Back