Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Funny thing is, that's how a Ponzi scheme works. Not saying LRG is, but it's amusing. Also saying this will piss off Josh who is most definitely still reading this thread.
A company based solely on FOMO being a Ponzi scheme would not surprise me; and I know what I was explaining as it happens in pretty much any industry. Kickstarter pretty much made a business concept out of it. As long as you're upfront about it, like Kickstarter, then its all kosher.

Given that it takes some releases years to come out means you're overleveredged, stretched thin, or perhaps are not as good at logistics as a premium company for physical prints should be to demand high costs.

We are seeing two online outlets spiking demand for reprints in high demand 3DS and Switch games, PNP and VGP, thus there is no reason any game needs to stay limited print; if there's enough demand to make a $30 release sell for over $100 on the aftermarket, there's obviously enough demand for more.

Unless you're actively saying you're not actual for gamers and just want a FOMO market for no benefit but people willing to drop money on a pre-order for an unknown quality product at an unknown delivery date.

Additionally, only patches up to 1.09 will be included on-cart:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1549088479157444608

I haven't played the game so I don't know how substantial the subsequent updates are, but a few folks in the replies mentioned 1.12 being a big deal.

Wow. The reply from LRG in that Twitter thread is you can update the game if you want to, but you don't have to. What the hell is that.

Wow. The reply from LRG in that Twitter thread is you can update the game if you want to, but you don't have to. What the hell is that.
My guess is the devs just don't want to compile a version that is 1.12 as that requires more testing and another pass through the ESRB and the 1.09 version is already rated and past qc.

My guess is the devs just don't want to compile a version that is 1.12 as that requires more testing and another pass through the ESRB and the 1.09 version is already rated and past qc.
They've stated that it's due to cart size limitations, but again, no clue if that's true. I'm not really a Switch guy so I don't know if there are other games with comparable file sizes that are on carts.

Credit where credit's due, though, at least they're disclosing all of this before it goes on sale rather than ignoring questions about what's on cart/disc through the pre-order window. Even if it is mostly disappointing news.

Last edited by a moderator:
They also could be cheaping out on the size of cart they're using. You see this with a lot of Switch game compilations that require you to download games because they aren't included on the cart.

They could do multiple work arounds; the could compress the game and then require installation off the cart onto a large enough SD card to work.  They could ship two carts; one for install, one for play.

Or just manufacture a larger cart.

Not putting in the most up-to-date version nor having the DLC and asking that much for it is dumb.  The game has been sub-$20 digitally already, thus $60 for an incomplete cart is a big ask.  Rad game, but come the eff on.

Edit: Re:KEMCO Again... most prolific producer of content.  Why can't they just stick to putting out compendiums of those releases?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)

I sincerely hope no one is buying the solo releases of the KotoR games since folks already got burnt twice before...

Edit2: Look at this...

https://twitter.com/Lurkish_Delight/status/1549156678045769728

Not only that, but Doom Eternal is regularly on sale for less than $20 with the steelbook at Best Buy. And those PS4 and Xbox One copies come with current Gen upgrades for free.

Physical is pointless with games from ps4+ era now. Everything is updated afterwards with patches and use a steam deck or another device for portable and get steam, on demand library is awesome. Stick to only physical where there is no steam/gog version to be had like example most ps3 era games and earlier.

Also by doing you cut down on LRG junk game/FOMO purchases.

Surely there has to be one or two good Kemco diamonds in the rough, r-right?
Legend of the Tetrarchs is a legitimately good, fun RPG, and that’s mainly thanks to being made by Hit-Point, who usually aces this sort of things. That’s the only LRG Kemco game I kept after selling 40+ LRG titles to a local store this weekend. Justice Chronicles would be another great timesink.

Dont touch any EXE Create games though. Outside of Dragon Sinker, they’re poop (especially with MTX DLC for QOL features)

Seafoam's experience was mine pretty early into the companies life. There's nothing stranger than offering suggestions for how to improve the company after issues are brought up and rather than them falling on deaf ears or getting a basic thanks and be done... they stalk you and try to call you out in other places. For Seafoam, he became a collector thanks to LRG... and I went the other way and stopped collecting vita completely and narrowed my focus for physical games going forward. I didn't do that because of a personal grudge with LRG... but because the crap to quality ratio was way off early on and there was no way in hell I was going to buy a ton of garbage games at full price to keep collecting for the vita and have a full set.
Seeing how you’ve been on this site long enough that it was my pre-adoption days when you joined… Wow, I’m kinda surprised you’ve kept track of my stuff. I never really think my writing/content is that memorable to people, even when it’s negative stuff I don’t wanna do! But yes, you are right. That first LRG vid I made had me openly joke about physical media being needed (I only bought Mystery Chronicle on Vita due to memory cards sucking) but I was eventually hooked. Seeing ups and downs other the years, I generally gave them benefits of the doubt and such, but last year in particular i feel their QC took a critical hit and it’s getting worse.

When sources all indicate that everyone at LRG wants these common sense improvements but the CEOs are stubborn and in the way to actually act immediately, it really just makes me think it’s Josh and Doug refusing to let anyone touch their ship as they stay seated in the captain’s chairs. And when you’re running a huge business with obscene product SKUs, yet barely any of it hits MOQ anymore… You got an iceberg imminent. Especially when one of them does lameass DM sliding like they’re an ordinary person when they blatantly have heard and seen the general idea on what people want them to fix.

Seeing how you’ve been on this site long enough that it was my pre-adoption days when you joined… Wow, I’m kinda surprised you’ve kept track of my stuff.
Hey, great to have you here.

I actually am only recently familiar with you from a few links posted a page or two ago. I went in and read what you wrote on the subject of LRG. Pretty interesting stuff bringing up so many of the issues while somehow still remaining respectful. It's almost like you were here with us this whole time. Glad you found the Mystery Dungeon series and that it made a positive impact in your life even though it's not been all smooth sailing trying to build that collection.

One issue you didn't have was the Golf Story fiasco. They lied that they had copies ready to ship for early preorders (the carts hadn't been sent to the packers). By the time they shipped BestBuy was already shipping their copies out. They put an ancient version of the game on the cart and there was a game breaking bug that was fixed a year earlier with a patch. The game wasn't fully registered in Nintendo's system so you couldn't get the patch for another month or two let alone the gold coins. By the time I felt like I could safely play the game my hype was down and playing the game didn't make up for the stretch of disappointment (and I waited from the game coming out digitally to get the physical version). I never did finish it and it should have been a great experience for me (as I love the mario golf rpg's and odd stuff like this).

For a while the LRG folks posted here (the company started here back with the first game thanks to our pretty diehard group of vita fans) and it didn't take long before they realized they couldn't just bully their way over anyone with issues. We still get mentioned by Josh when he pops up on other sites... most recently his onion account on reddit (lol)... but that's his modus operandi. He will likely stalk you forever, welcome to the club. Hopefully (and I mean this sincerely) this recent bout of being more open with information is going to develop into the norm for LRG. And maybe they'll get more professional. It's just a shame that folks have to make such a stink for anything to happen.

Hey, great to have you here.

I actually am only recently familiar with you from a few links posted a page or two ago. I went in and read what you wrote on the subject of LRG. Pretty interesting stuff bringing up so many of the issues while somehow still remaining respectful. It's almost like you were here with us this whole time. Glad you found the Mystery Dungeon series and that it made a positive impact in your life even though it's not been all smooth sailing trying to build that collection.

One issue you didn't have was the Golf Story fiasco. They lied that they had copies ready to ship for early preorders (the carts hadn't been sent to the packers). By the time they shipped BestBuy was already shipping their copies out. They put an ancient version of the game on the cart and there was a game breaking bug that was fixed a year earlier with a patch. The game wasn't fully registered in Nintendo's system so you couldn't get the patch for another month or two let alone the gold coins. By the time I felt like I could safely play the game my hype was down and playing the game didn't make up for the stretch of disappointment (and I waited from the game coming out digitally to get the physical version). I never did finish it and it should have been a great experience for me (as I love the mario golf rpg's and odd stuff like this).

For a while the LRG folks posted here (the company started here back with the first game thanks to our pretty diehard group of vita fans) and it didn't take long before they realized they couldn't just bully their way over anyone with issues. We still get mentioned by Josh when he pops up on other sites... most recently his onion account on reddit (lol)... but that's his modus operandi. He will likely stalk you forever, welcome to the club. Hopefully (and I mean this sincerely) this recent bout of being more open with information is going to develop into the norm for LRG. And maybe they'll get more professional. It's just a shame that folks have to make such a stink for anything to happen.
TBH being a buyer with them for five years, I was in their discord a lot which led me to befriending some folk and other collectors and being in the know on stuff. Sadly, when I split following shiren, a good chunk of them blocked or unfriended me, which goes to show how cultlike this can be at times. I actually did buy Golf Story standard! It was... OK? Yeah, I did buy it based off it being in-hand, which it wasn't, but it did feel like it shipped faster than other switch open preorders, like dusk which took EONS (due to ESRB stuff they did eventually fix, at least it seemed) I did not know about that bug however, but I did know about how their SKU of Pixeljunk Monsters 2 forever lacks the loading times fix that was implemented, meaning if you go physical, you have to deal with those ass-long stupid load times. Pure pain. I actually never made it more than 5 mins into golf story since my backlog got so big by the time I got the game, I just never got into it... So thus, I missed that bug.

The gold coins, that's another point of contention. I love gold coins but also don't fully care about them? you get more via digital anyhow. IIRC, LRG mentioned in their discord when I think their first non-LRG-as-publisher SKU games shipped out that they wouldn't go through the process of working with each publisher on gold coins because it would require a patch for each game and it would make things longer, and the fact customers would have to download a patch for the coins would make them mad. It was a pretty stupid reason IMO, just a simple "we don't see the need to do it" would suffice, but yeah, only games they self publish on the eShop qualify for points.

By "We still get mentioned by josh", I'm curious what you mean on that? Because by all indications that Expensive Onion dork was absolutely not Josh or Doug, none of them type like that, I was around them for years on discord and neither of them would be that blatant. But if they are venting about you guys elsewhere or on other forums, I'd definitely find that worth noting for my future records since I suspected they did the same for me when I spoke out about Shiren.

A month later, I randomly vented about how the Analogue Pocket not getting any ETAs since preorders opened 13 months prior was silly on a collector group discord server, and one of the guys from Special Reserve was in there. He openly called me psychotic and said that analogue didn't need to send ETAs as their products were always good, which seemed... random, especially the part about my "psychotic rants". Who knew not getting what you paid for and nearly summoning small claims court over it was psychotic. I did later find out that they didn't really vent about me to some secret group of limprint companies, but rather probably just did to their IRL friends, which likely included that SRG guy. Still, I don't like how hostile some people are toward me about them, despite how I dumped thousands into the company and gave too many benefits of the doubt.

The reason I act the way I do is because when I learned they knew for months prior about Shiren PC's situation yet said nothing despite me being in their server openly expressing hype for the CE, that was pretty much a clear cut sign of betrayal and them not giving a shit when they could have effortlessly stomped that out before shipping the units. Doug insisting on that AMA they "Forgot" and they "fixed it" by reorganizing the shipping/CS department (even though the CEOs messed up! I really hope no innocent workers got fired over their fuckup!) is more telling to me that they legitimately do not care until it blows up right in their face even when they're warned by customers and workers alike. While I admire some recent transparency like with the KOTOR CE getting swapped parts, it shouldn't have had to take this sort of outburst and backlash for this to occur.

Night Trap CE I can't link yet
Urrrrrrrgh... After buying the Switch CE and loving it, seeing this as the only CE (i swore there had to be some better, ultra one, but no!) is outright insulting. The bluray that was available standalone from LRG for the PS4 version, two action figures, one of an insignificant character, a random pin, and a script...?

Does anyone who got the Corpse Killer CE know how that script turned out? Switch got the freaking game on VHS! that was super cool! I think it was cheaper too, so what the heck is the point of this or even a PS5 version (when the announced Xbox One port is still MIA)

I like the dev guy behind these remasters, but lately I feel they're rushing him/he's rushing himself with how much bugs were in Ground Zero Texas...

I just want to say I am glad I keep to small, private discord servers. Everything I hear about the public/large ones make it sound like they attract the worst kind of people. At least IRC had a little bit of a wall from that sort of thing.

@Seafoam, yea I think people just want to have hype bubbles.  Whether its a cryptocurrency, NFT, "alternative asset class" or whatever they're into, when things become "collectible" and thus "valuable," it breeds a behavior you've seen and endured.

We're a grumpier (more cynical?) lot here, and not really keen on following hype trains.  I'll still buy from LRG on low risk items, but certainly not buy everything they ever produce nor buy into their FOMO.

I do love other companies stepping up and getting other retail games reprinted that are high in demand.  Games for everyone at an affordable price! :D

I don't understand the "fandoms" companies seem to have built around them. Forgiving a company for misrepresenting their products or for promising certain things and not being forthcoming about changes in said product and then shouting down anybody that complains is bizarre to me. They're a company that sells products. They're not your friends or family members. If money's already changed hands and people aren't happy with the product they were given they should be free to complain as much as they want. And it's not just in the video game industry, we see this in the entertainment industry like Star Wars or Disney/Marvel and even down to the car industry like Tesla.

Urrrrrrrgh... After buying the Switch CE and loving it, seeing this as the only CE (i swore there had to be some better, ultra one, but no!) is outright insulting. The bluray that was available standalone from LRG for the PS4 version, two action figures, one of an insignificant character, a random pin, and a script...?
And that price.

Then there's the "First time in 4K" marketing line. There is no way Night Trap is really going to have a 4K restoration. The masters were supposedly lost. Did someone hang on to the 35mm film and went back to the source? No way this isn't going to just be an upscale.

Ugh, really regret buying pretty much every PS4 LRG game now because it never occurred to me that they're just gonna re-release all of them on the PS5.
Don't worry, the ps4 versions play on twice as many consoles, including consoles with a track record of longevity where the hard drive isn't soldered to the motherboard and is easy to swap out. Given the choice between ps4 and ps5 right now, I'd take the ps4 disc 9 times out of 10 (exceptions to AAA games where the ps5 version is noticeably different).

By "We still get mentioned by josh", I'm curious what you mean on that? Because by all indications that Expensive Onion dork was absolutely not Josh or Doug, none of them type like that, I was around them for years on discord and neither of them would be that blatant. But if they are venting about you guys elsewhere or on other forums, I'd definitely find that worth noting for my future records since I suspected they did the same for me when I spoke out about Shiren.
Most recently was this thread... https://old.reddit.com/r/limitedrun/comments/vi4ahw/have_you_had_any_of_the_games_not_function_for/

That Onion guy, I've seen Josh's negative side for something like four years and dealt with him directly here on CAG. It was exactly how he types and reasons. Plus of course after being called out he deletes his posts/account. And wasn't that a new account? That's a pretty strong confirmation it was likely him. But this isn't a court of law... nor was it a crime.... I mainly find this kind of stuff hilarious when it happens and someone brings it here. I don't sub to the lrg reddit (or haunt other lrg news sources) because I mainly like to just know what's coming out in the rarest of rare events they get a game I actually want... and most everything gets posted about here (including issues posted elsewhere).

My next LRG purchase will possibly be TMNT Shredder's Revenge (standard, I only buy standard as I don't care about displaying toys and stuff)... though I'll get that from a retailer after it comes out and we find out what's on the cart (or maybe I'll just go digital, I'm in no rush).

I asked LRG support what kind of shipping timeframe I was looking at for an in-stock distro title I ordered a month ago.  I was told they can't give me a timeframe.  It's amazing that that is acceptable.  It's one thing to warn customers of the long waits on the pre-order items.  But, I'm told that it "can take awhile....before it actually gets pulled into the shipping queue" and they are "dealing with a higher than normal volume of orders being sent from the warehouse".... so one month of the stock status being "ready" and no idea when it will ship.  I have a feeling it's just going to turn into a pre-order-type-timeframe (or worse).  

I definitely won't order another in-stock distro title from them again.  I can't even imagine what logic they'll use to decide when to ship it.  

I definitely won't order another in-stock distro title from them again. I can't even imagine what logic they'll use to decide when to ship it.
I almost caved in last week when the Treasures of Aegean CE was $35 on amazon (Switch version, I didn't look at the ps version). That made it cheaper than the standard version which to me was a win. I remember your first one was sent in an envelope and crushed... but I would have just bundled it with a few other items had I to taken advantage of the sales. Instead I ordered nothing and will probably wait till Gamefly liquidates their copies of the standard version (if I end up getting it).

On the plus side, unless I read wrong, they have three separate shipping lines that work on different games. It's just a shame they can't dedicate one shipping line to games with smaller runs and in stock items (thought that may be what they do but they have so many the cue is long).

I almost caved in last week when the Treasures of Aegean CE was $35 on amazon (Switch version, I didn't look at the ps version). That made it cheaper than the standard version which to me was a win. I remember your first one was sent in an envelope and crushed... but I would have just bundled it with a few other items had I to taken advantage of the sales. Instead I ordered nothing and will probably wait till Gamefly liquidates their copies of the standard version (if I end up getting it).

On the plus side, unless I read wrong, they have three separate shipping lines that work on different games. It's just a shame they can't dedicate one shipping line to games with smaller runs and in stock items (thought that may be what they do but they have so many the cue is long).
That hurts even more. I would've just ordered 4 of them from Amazon to try and force them into a box (who am I kidding? They still would've put them all in an oversized envelope) and returned 3. I thought I was only paying $10 more to get it in a box from LRG and now I'm at $25 more. Ouch. I asked about cancelling, but guess what " has already been set to ship in the current batch of distro orders and is in the active shipping queue" now? Haha.... The first rep couldn't give me any kind of ETA and the second now has it in an "active shipping queue" and it's going to ship in the "near future". If they would've told me that in the first place, I wouldn't have popped in here to whine and would never know it was $35 on Amazon. :) That's amazing that they discounted a distro title that much already.

That's amazing that they discounted a distro title that much already.
It might have been Amazon offering incentives for prime day to storefronts that participated. When I looked yesterday both version of the game had a slight discount. Which is something else to consider... if they are selling through Amazon and it's a distro title there's a precedence now that games that aren't flying off the shelves will get some discounts. This somewhat helps me with games I'm more casually interested in as I can push the idea off and then if it sells out cool... or if it gets cheap I can treat it like any other retail game and grab it then (like I do with anything ubisoft publishes).

Night Trap on PS5........ FIRST TIME IN 4k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because standard def video with a vertical resolution slightly under 480 is going to look so different when you scale it up to 4k instead of 1080p.

Really wish Screaming Villains had done QTGMC on the interlaced source to bring it to 59.94fps instead of deinterlacing it when the original remaster was released. No way that is happening for this new version. Oh well.

Anything good planned within the next month or so?  I want to get DOTT (standard) but prefer to bundle with other games if at all possible.  I thought about the TMNT game but since it will be available at retail there's no reason to buy from LRG.  Thankfully I only have 2 outstanding orders now so I feel ok about placing one more since DOTT was such a childhood favorite!

Anything good planned within the next month or so? I want to get DOTT (standard) but prefer to bundle with other games if at all possible. I thought about the TMNT game but since it will be available at retail there's no reason to buy from LRG. Thankfully I only have 2 outstanding orders now so I feel ok about placing one more since DOTT was such a childhood favorite!
Right now Blade Runner is available if you like point & click adventure games. I thought it looked interesting.

Shantae PS4/PS5 goes up in late August but I think that's after DOTT ends. Aside from that and Doom Eternal on Switch I'm not sure if anything else is announced.

Are we ever going to see TGCD Rondo? Well over a year now since it was announced.
im assuming it will be sometime after we get the Castlevania Requiem out, which can be anywhere from 6-12 months from now lol

I just recently got my Castlevania Collection and still waiting to get Requiem. I hope Rondo on the TGCD will go on sale this October/Hallowean timeframe. But who knows lol

bread's done
Back