Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
This is also shady, as companies have used checkout donations to fulfill previously-committed-to charity pledges. CVS got sued for it recently: https://www.yahoo.com/video/cvs-sued-using-customer-donations-165400166.html

I strongly recommend giving directly to charities, using sites like CharityWatch/CharityNavigator, and supporting local orgs for philanthropy. Companies are always acting in their self-interest, and rarely is that self-interest confined to positive publicity.
We donate via my husband’s workplace. Comes directly out of his paycheck and the company matches his donation. But the donation itself definitely is attributed to him because he gets a thank you letter from the organization we donate to yearly.

Yeah that's not cool. Then we as consumers might as well just donate in our own. At least we get the tax credit for the donation and not LRG.

It's like that sock company (mamba? I don't remember) that says they donate a pair for each pair of socks sold. Except they charge the customer for the donated pair. They don't just donate a pair for every purchase.
Is this based on what that TikTok video said? Because that's simply not true. Stores do not get to claim the tax credit on donations they collect from you and pass on to charities, they can only claim a tax credit on what they themselves dominate. If you give LRG $1 as a donation to some charity then you get to claim that $1 credit on your taxes, not LRG. What does LRG get out of this? Free marketing. Now if you donate $1 and LRG matches with their own $1 donation, then they can claim their $1 donation tax credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this based on what that TikTok video said? Because that's simply not true. Stores do not get to claim the tax credit on donations they collect from you and pass on to charities, they can only claim a tax credit on what they themselves dominate. If you give LRG $1 as a donation to some charity then you get to claim that $1 credit on your taxes, not LRG. What does LRG get out of this? Free marketing. Now if you donate $1 and LRG matches with their own $1 donation, then they can claim their $1 donation tax credit.
What's TikTok.

Unless LRG breaks down the receipt as $34.99 for the game and $5 for the donation, which I doubt, then how is the customer getting a tax credit for a donation? Also, right on the production page it says LRG will make the donation. The customer isn't actually giving a donation. The customer is spending $5 more for the fancy cover and LRG is doing the donating. So yeah, they're taking the $5 extra from the customer and LRG is getting credit for the donation.

What's TikTok.

Unless LRG breaks down the receipt as $34.99 for the game and $5 for the donation, which I doubt, then how is the customer getting a tax credit for a donation? Also, right on the production page it says LRG will make the donation. The customer isn't actually giving a donation. The customer is spending $5 more for the fancy cover and LRG is doing the donating. So yeah, they're taking the $5 extra from the customer and LRG is getting credit for the donation.
While I believe what you are saying is factually correct, I think what Vinny is saying is you still can claim it. Which really you can claim whatever on your taxes and it just comes down to proving it later if audited. $5 isn't going to get an audit but if someone was worried I guess they print out the LRG listing and their receipt from the system to show they bought it and donated to that cause. It might or might not get past an auditor. But it shouldn't set off any red flags.

The problem for me on all of this (which I just mean donations in general, not LRG specific) is come tax time the donations don't really add up to much if any difference. Like tracking a bunch of stuff to watch my return go up by $25... isn't worth my time unless it's the super rare case where I'm under by $25 or something and a few donations will get me back to break even or a couple dollar return. But I like to keep things simple and most of the time turbotax (I use the regular cd version) will tell me to take the standard deduction as it provides the better return over itemizing.

While I believe what you are saying is factually correct, I think what Vinny is saying is you still can claim it. Which really you can claim whatever on your taxes and it just comes down to proving it later if audited. $5 isn't going to get an audit but if someone was worried I guess they print out the LRG listing and their receipt from the system to show they bought it and donated to that cause. It might or might not get past an auditor. But it shouldn't set off any red flags.

The problem for me on all of this (which I just mean donations in general, not LRG specific) is come tax time the donations don't really add up to much if any difference. Like tracking a bunch of stuff to watch my return go up by $25... isn't worth my time unless it's the super rare case where I'm under by $25 or something and a few donations will get me back to break even or a couple dollar return. But I like to keep things simple and most of the time turbotax (I use the regular cd version) will tell me to take the standard deduction as it provides the better return over itemizing.
Ever since they raised the standard deduction a few years back, it doesn’t make sense for many people to itemize. We no longer do it. I still donate stuff but no longer get receipts since we’re getting nowhere near the $25,900 for a married couple.

You're correct on all accounts. My overarching point was that LRG, like the sock company, are using what their customers are paying as donations (by charging the customers more) instead of donating from the money the company directly. These companies are basically taking the money from our hands and handing it to the charity's hand and saying they're donating their money, when they aren't. Which is really why it doesn't make sense for the customer to donate this way if they want to donate.

So, for example, if LRG said they're going to donate $5 for every foil cover they sell with the price still at $34.99, then LRG is donating that $5 they say they are donating. Instead, they raised the price $5 and are donating that raised price of $5. Same with Bambas. They aren't donating a pair of socks for each pair of socks. They're charging the customer for two pairs of socks, and donating that second pair while the customer only gets one pair of socks. Basically, they're having their cakes and eating them too. Except it's extra scummy because they're passing this off as donations to charity.

wow just got an email from LRG(curated for those who ordered certain games listed in the email) with status updates of games shipping soon. Im not sure if it was Doug who listened to me asking to get an email once a month on updates but im glad someone listened.

And yes, i know there is a status page on their site but these days its hard to expect every customer to go there every day and check the status of their game(s) when getting a email once a month with status update is way better method

:applause: Good job LRG!

You're correct on all accounts. My overarching point was that LRG, like the sock company, are using what their customers are paying as donations (by charging the customers more) instead of donating from the money the company directly. These companies are basically taking the money from our hands and handing it to the charity's hand and saying they're donating their money, when they aren't. Which is really why it doesn't make sense for the customer to donate this way if they want to donate.

So, for example, if LRG said they're going to donate $5 for every foil cover they sell with the price still at $34.99, then LRG is donating that $5 they say they are donating. Instead, they raised the price $5 and are donating that raised price of $5. Same with Bambas. They aren't donating a pair of socks for each pair of socks. They're charging the customer for two pairs of socks, and donating that second pair while the customer only gets one pair of socks. Basically, they're having their cakes and eating them too. Except it's extra scummy because they're passing this off as donations to charity.
This is how many niche retail companies handle charitable giving of this type. They create a more bespoke version of a product they already sell and increase the price and say that will donate a certain amount of the proceeds to charity. Premium Edition Games does the same thing with their Gamers4Gamers variants where they agree to donate 10% of the proceeds to charity. Mondo has done it with certain prints and vinyl over the years. Comic book publishers used to do various special covers for Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and other charities. The idea is that the customer is supporting the charity, not that the business is directly supporting the charity (although arguably there are costs to the business with setting up the sale, managing the donation, etc...). I doubt that LRG or any of these other companies is turning around and then attempting to claim a tax deduction here. It's simply a pass through transaction and as others have pointed out, if you really feel the need to take the $5 deduction, it's unlikely it will raise any flags with the IRS.

Does Bombas give you the option of buying a pair of socks *without* also donating a pair of socks? If they aren't clearly upcharging for the donation, then I'm not sure you can lump them into the same boat as LRG here. We can all feel free to argue whether or not Bombas are worth $10+ (or whatever the current price is), but there are plenty of performance sock brands in the same price range

Except it's extra scummy because they're passing this off as donations to charity.
Yeah, I agree on all of that.

Curious what the actual wording says on the listing, I pulled it up.

"From today through June 11th, 2023, Limited Run Games will donate $5 to Doctors Without Borders USA for each foil cover Trip World DX game sold, with a minimum guaranteed donation of $10,000."

So the price difference is for the foil cover and they get the credit for the donation which is subsidizing their $10k minimum donation.

The only positive things I can say on all of this is at least they are completely up front about what they are doing and for most of us a $5 donation being made isn't going to do anything at tax time anyway so I'm not that bothered. The charity also seems like a worthy cause if what their numbers posted online are true on how much money actually goes to the work. One other positive, the foil cover (unless the company producing the covers is donating the difference between regular and foil) should be costing LRG a little more. It's probably not much, but it appears they are eating this difference.

Adding to the weirdness, when I initially pulled the listing to look at it, above the production status it stated "THIS ITEM IS AN EVENT EXCLUSIVE AND MAY SELL ON OUR WEBSITE AT A LATER DATE" but then the message disappears as the page loads. I checked other listings and the default message there is something like "This item isn't for sale yet" (not going to screen shot and type it exactly) which will show as the page loads and then disappears. So it's likely they are already planning to make make a minimum of 2000 of this version which will cover the full donation. But I don't think this is really a huge revelation that their intent is to fully pass the donation on to customer fees while they cover the foil cover price difference. Still, I thought it was worth noting.

As for Doctors Without Borders. I took a moment and checked and the minimum you can donate on their website is $5. So those that really want to help but want the game and don't care about a foil cover, you can donate $5 directly and buy the standard version. I'm just going to hold my money. When I'm debt free in about 3 to 4 years (house paid off) and I've crunched the numbers on retirement... I'll consider being more charitable. First though will be locally and probably through a church that has an outreach program that I can visit and see how useful it is to the community.

As someone whose been a part of a charity team that's raised tens of thousands of dollars for DWB, just wanted to say LRG could just donate without making people jump through hoops.

Or hold an auction or raffle. Making a portion of all proceeds of one item, that was already previously up for pre-order, the case is just odd.

Too bad Doug never took me up on my charity offer. Much less convoluted than whatever they're doing.

This is how many niche retail companies handle charitable giving of this type. They create a more bespoke version of a product they already sell and increase the price and say that will donate a certain amount of the proceeds to charity. Premium Edition Games does the same thing with their Gamers4Gamers variants where they agree to donate 10% of the proceeds to charity. Mondo has done it with certain prints and vinyl over the years. Comic book publishers used to do various special covers for Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and other charities. The idea is that the customer is supporting the charity, not that the business is directly supporting the charity (although arguably there are costs to the business with setting up the sale, managing the donation, etc...). I doubt that LRG or any of these other companies is turning around and then attempting to claim a tax deduction here. It's simply a pass through transaction and as others have pointed out, if you really feel the need to take the $5 deduction, it's unlikely it will raise any flags with the IRS.
Again, it's not about the deduction. It's the perception of charity. So all those examples you listed are doing it to show a good face, while not donating much if any at all, and let's be honest, they're still making money from sales regardless.

Does Bombas give you the option of buying a pair of socks *without* also donating a pair of socks? If they aren't clearly upcharging for the donation, then I'm not sure you can lump them into the same boat as LRG here. We can all feel free to argue whether or not Bombas are worth $10+ (or whatever the current price is), but there are plenty of performance sock brands in the same price range
When I was looking into better quality socks, and checked out Bombas, there wasn't an option. And when I saw how they were charging, I backed out of the cart. There might be, but I don't care to purchase Bombas socks anymore.

The LRG now shipping still doesn't include Ara Fell & Rise of the Third Power even though I have the game in hand now.

The site still says In Production.

I know it's probably not a popular game, but it is in the numbered release series for Switch, not a distro title, and its been shipped to people with no updates on the website.

That's a bad sign, for me, if they cannot even keep track of the little details.  It's likely they're missing more then that; perhaps Doug left because he knew the precarious nature of the house of cards they're building upon?  More speculation *wiggly fingers*

Again, it's not about the deduction. It's the perception of charity. So all those examples you listed are doing it to show a good face, while not donating much if any at all, and let's be honest, they're still making money from sales regardless.
Sure, that's fair, but LRG has done other charitable giving in other ways previously including a charity auction on Ebay and the option to donate to Video Game History Foundation with each purchase. The reality is that we don't know the behind the scenes here and often charities will approach a company and suggest the method of doing the campaign. I guess I have just supported enough of these types of things in the past through many other companies to not really think it's that unusual or shady. I will say that one year I made the mistake of asking for the "free" gift from PBS for my annual donation and they promptly sent me the gift and a letter explaining that my gift was valued at about 90% of the donation I made, so only 10% was then deductible. Needless to say, that was the first and last time I ever asked for a gift from PBS in exchange for my donation.

Another Kemco EXCRETE banger!

I backed the Good Life and have the PS4 collectors edition; I paid in at the 13,000Yen tier (about $93).  That bundle looks like the exact one I got.

LRG did the Kickstarter production of the physical release, so does this mean they are technically reprinting a release or did they sit on these for this sale?  Does that make my un-numbered release more or less valuable?

It says pre-production on the site, but that cannot be correct since they've done all the work. Sounds like this is their first actual reprint of something they already did before.

Glad to see Axiom Verge 1&2 CE on the list! I think that's the last open CE order I have.

It's just insane how many items they're packing and shipping right now. Feels like even with this acknowledgement, we're still months away from actually getting the games in our hands

The LRG now shipping still doesn't include Ara Fell & Rise of the Third Power even though I have the game in hand now.
The site still says In Production.

I know it's probably not a popular game, but it is in the numbered release series for Switch, not a distro title, and its been shipped to people with no updates on the website.
That's a bad sign, for me, if they cannot even keep track of the little details. It's likely they're missing more then that; perhaps Doug left because he knew the precarious nature of the house of cards they're building upon? More speculation *wiggly fingers*
Honestly with his conduct to me last summer + stuff I heard over the years post shiren + the notion of a co-owner suddenly leaving a company they founded after a buyout I’m almost certain he got fired lol

Probably got a nice payout tbh, so I wouldn’t worry about his finances or whatnot (and I dont care to speculate further honestly) but considering last fall he bragged here that he fully intended to stick by after the buyout and then suddenly leaves months later… Yeah it wasn’t voluntary lol

More telling that josh didnt even retweet or mention him at all lately when he made that statement and uh, hmm, I figured he’d do that for a guy who helped found the company and shipped the first copies of breach and clear himself

Honestly with his conduct to me last summer + stuff I heard over the years post shiren + the notion of a co-owner suddenly leaving a company they founded after a buyout I’m almost certain he got fired lol
Probably got a nice payout tbh, so I wouldn’t worry about his finances or whatnot (and I dont care to speculate further honestly) but considering last fall he bragged here that he fully intended to stick by after the buyout and then suddenly leaves months later… Yeah it wasn’t voluntary lol
More telling that josh didnt even retweet or mention him at all lately when he made that statement and uh, hmm, I figured he’d do that for a guy who helped found the company and shipped the first copies of breach and clear himself
Wasn’t all that. My post said enough, it was just the right timing. I talk to Josh everyday btw…

I am sure you just didn't want all the hubbub around exiting; quietly leaving is more apt.
Lol so wait a minute people here for weeks have noted packages going to wrong addresses, no ship emails, all sorts of site problems and such, even praising aspects like the frequent social posts on shipping updates we’re now getting… And the dude deadass comes onto the site again *just now* to reply to my random speculation after I said repeatedly I want nothing to do with him and would ignore anything he posted that wasnt quoted by others? Even as others give their own speculations here?

Man at this point I’m wondering if my oldass articles really annoyed him despite the gist of those being “improve QC and communication” over and over. (and *maybe* they’re finally doing that? I’ll believe it when i see it as getting all these old skus caught up on will take a long time) Curious to why i’m the main thing to get doug to post here despite some other people here trying to get his attention for questions he kept ignoring

Eh, perhaps squeaky wheel gets the grease, or those throwing out the most bait catch the most fish?

In either case, I can respect crap canning a position yourself that's too stressful.  Some folks thrive in certain environments, others prefer the more methodical type work; there's something satisfying tweaking spreadsheets for hours on end with some lofi jazz or hiphop, a cup of coffee, and a cat.

My criticism of LRG doesn't change whomever is at the helm.

Lol so wait a minute people here for weeks have noted packages going to wrong addresses,

<snip>
Doug doesn't work at LRG anymore... not his job to care about these issues or even come here to respond to everyone.

Speculating he got fired and then him chiming in on that speculation not being true is a good thing. I don't see why it has to be turned into a soap box diatribe. Doug is out, forgive the dude and let it go. Things were done that are disappointing... some stuff was said but nothing that earth shattering and over time shouldn't be that important. Life moves forward. We have some wonderful games to play. Some stuff may be locked to digital only... some might be physical only on certain platforms, but at the end of this... let's play games and have some fun and forgive each other. We are all people with flaws.

My speculation on Doug leaving is just he's been hammered left and right for years and had a lot of other stress in the job. He was paid enough in company being bought that he had f you money (aka financial independence) enough to walk away and live his life with a lot less stress (or move to something a lot more fun). And if that's the case, kudos to him for reaching that milestone in life at his age. I'm going to be happy enough to hit 60 and retire without the need to work (I may, I may not do something... but I won't have to).

Lol so wait a minute people here for weeks have noted packages going to wrong addresses, no ship emails, all sorts of site problems and such, even praising aspects like the frequent social posts on shipping updates we’re now getting… And the dude deadass comes onto the site again *just now* to reply to my random speculation after I said repeatedly I want nothing to do with him and would ignore anything he posted that wasnt quoted by others? Even as others give their own speculations here?

Man at this point I’m wondering if my oldass articles really annoyed him despite the gist of those being “improve QC and communication” over and over. (and *maybe* they’re finally doing that? I’ll believe it when i see it as getting all these old skus caught up on will take a long time) Curious to why i’m the main thing to get doug to post here despite some other people here trying to get his attention for questions he kept ignoring
Please just stop. Nobody cares about your "articles" or your continuing obsession with someone that reached out to you to try and address an issue you raised on social media only to have you turn it around into alleged stalking. Doug is a former employee of the company and apparently no longer has any role in the company. As such, it makes perfect sense that he wouldn't want you to trash his reputation by speculating about why he is no longer a former employee. Honestly, I'm more curious about why someone who claims to no longer be a customer of a company would continually post in a thread that is all about that company's products? That just seems weird and compulsive.

Doug doesn't work at LRG anymore... not his job to care about these issues or even come here to respond to everyone.

Speculating he got fired and then him chiming in on that speculation not being true is a good thing. I don't see why it has to be turned into a soap box diatribe. Doug is out, forgive the dude and let it go. Things were done that are disappointing... some stuff was said but nothing that earth shattering and over time shouldn't be that important. Life moves forward. We have some wonderful games to play. Some stuff may be locked to digital only... some might be physical only on certain platforms, but at the end of this... let's play games and have some fun and forgive each other. We are all people with flaws.

My speculation on Doug leaving is just he's been hammered left and right for years and had a lot of other stress in the job. He was paid enough in company being bought that he had f you money (aka financial independence) enough to walk away and live his life with a lot less stress (or move to something a lot more fun). And if that's the case, kudos to him for reaching that milestone in life at his age. I'm going to be happy enough to hit 60 and retire without the need to work (I may, I may not do something... but I won't have to).
I don't think it's a stretch to figure he cleared 7 figures on the buyout. If he was smart and conservative with his money, that's enough to walk away from full time work. Maybe not enough to never work again but certainly enough to not have to deal with some of the bullshit that probably comes with continuing in his position at LRG.

If he truly did just walk away because of the stress and he had enough money to be able to, I actually have a little more respect for the guy. I'm so tired of the "work is its own virtue/gotta get that high score net worth" bullshit excuse for greed these days. If he got his and wanted to walk away and live a less stressful life, good luck to him.

Now that Doug isn't with the company anymore, we can finally get back to the meat of this thread, flame wars.

. Honestly, I'm more curious about why someone who claims to no longer be a customer of a company would continually post in a thread that is all about that company's products? That just seems weird and compulsive.
Because I still have teeth in the game with a Valis Vinyl I’d crossed my fingers on since last Spring? Nearing the finish line on that I’m guessing due to the last ETA of Q2 2023 so I should be freed and less interested in this before long anyhow, but it ain’t an obsession to wonder what’s up with a company i’m waiting for shit from. Especially when friends of mine who still actively buy from them ask me where their shit is due to knowing me as the guy in friend circles who bought a lot from LRG and know what to expect. I still have to, you know, get my last item before I can bow out on my end.

Thanks everyone. I also appreciate the nice things I saw posted earlier. I know it isn’t worth anything but I did try to take feedback here to heart and implement changes. Some changes were just harder to do or not something I was able to do for one reason or another. I do believe in what we planned before I parted ways and hope those changes we all worked on do some good.

Meanwhile, over in SRG land...

[attachment=37954:FxeASthXwAI1seN.jpg]

They posted an updated image yesterday on their Twitter.  The Playstation version is the exact same, laughably ridiculous that this company even exists.

Meanwhile, over in SRG land...

attachicon.gif
FxeASthXwAI1seN.jpg

They posted an updated image yesterday on their Twitter. The Playstation version is the exact same, laughably ridiculous that this company even exists.
They haven't even announced anything new in months. One less limited company is fine by me.

I'm still waiting for the copy of Shadow Warrior 3 that I preordered from them well over a year ago that they keep silently pushing back the release date on, that I've long since given a crap about playing since it went on Gamepass.  I'd have cancelled it if they allowed such things.  

Thanks everyone. I also appreciate the nice things I saw posted earlier. I know it isn’t worth anything but I did try to take feedback here to heart and implement changes. Some changes were just harder to do or not something I was able to do for one reason or another. I do believe in what we planned before I parted ways and hope those changes we all worked on do some good.
Glad you are okay! Vague posting of a dead Kermit and sad Blink song were concerning to say the least.

I'm still waiting for the copy of Shadow Warrior 3 that I preordered from them well over a year ago that they keep silently pushing back the release date on, that I've long since given a crap about playing since it went on Gamepass. I'd have cancelled it if they allowed such things.
still waiting for my copy Broforce on ps4 that I order almost 2 years ago from them

still waiting for my copy Broforce on ps4 that I order almost 2 years ago from them
Yep still waiting on that as well and I ordered it with Disc Room so they have been holding that hostage for two years as well. They will never see another dime from me after this wait.

I also have a few games being held hostage at LRG by Enclave HD. At least the recent email they sent gave some light on the possibility of Enclave HD being finished in June 2023, I will believe it when it is released on digital storefronts. It was supposed to be finished in July 2022. Then I have to wait for the disc to be produced so who knows how much longer this wait will be.

So I finally got my Castlevania Requiem Ultimate Edition. DHL decided to hold onto it for ages and then give it to USPS, all without updating the tracking or telling me. And of course USPS didn’t even try to deliver it or even tell me. Went to pick up something else from the post office and they gave it to me. Geez . . .

All that aside I will give LRG credit for packaging the box. Cardboard protecting both sides, corner protectors for both sides. It is appreciated and the box came in perfect shape. That being said I still have no intent on purchasing from them again. This was my second and final purchase.

I sent a support ticket to see if they will give buyers of the physical copy a free game. Fingers crossed. Hoping for the force unleashed on Switch. I will report back if it is successful.

I sent a support ticket to see if they will give buyers of the physical copy a free game. Fingers crossed. Hoping for the force unleashed on Switch. I will report back if it is successful.
Quick report back. They are getting slammed with requests but they did send a canned response to get things moving and yes they are going to give a free game to people that purchased a physical copy of KOTOR II Sith Lords. You need to include a screen shot of your receipt to qualify. Easy to get from the web site.

While not getting the DLC is very disappointing I am happy to get a free copy of the Force Unleashed since I did skip getting it physically from LRG.

Quick Update: I received my code for the Force Unleashed for Switch today.

Quick report back. They are getting slammed with requests but they did send a canned response to get things moving and yes they are going to give a free game to people that purchased a physical copy of KOTOR II Sith Lords. You need to include a screen shot of your receipt to qualify. Easy to get from the web site.

While not getting the DLC is very disappointing I am happy to get a free copy of the Force Unleashed since I did skip getting it physically from LRG.

Quick Update: I received my code for the Force Unleashed for Switch today.
Digital buyers of KOTOR II should get a digital code from the list. Physical buyers of KOTOR II should get a physical copy from the list, if the game has a physical release.

I've been looking forward to Redemption Reapers for a while. Especially since it has a few former Fire Emblem devs working on it and the recent games have been a little easy.

For the distro titles, is there any guarantee that they'll be available outside of Limited Run's website? Or is it better to just bite the bullet and order something if you want it badly enough?

bread's done
Back