Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
All of the Tales games that aren't gachas have physical versions already. LRG doesn't really have a history of working with Bamco so I don't see a partnership for something unannouned or in-house porting, so hopefully that means I'm safe from another purchase. My last unfulfilled order is for Shantae on the PS4, which apparently they still haven't submitted the order for despite selling almost a year ago.

Ditto for me on the Shantae still.  I was hoping it finally ship so I can say I have zero orders waiting.  Unfortunately it's probably not going to happen before the deadline for Castlevania as I'm probably going to cave on it because I'm weak willed & pathetic lol.

I'd want actual indie games that are busting the Steam lists, not ones that I've never heard of (and I have a Steam queue of 14,000+ viewed games...).

Big name stuff I'm not worried about as SEA, along with Play Asia, has our back for affordable English game carts.

Im thinking its just another highly license game in the vain of Scott Pilgrim. Years ago, everyone thought this game was impossible and then LRG surprised us with a release.

Im thinking the same thing again for this new "impossible" release. The question is, beside Scott Pilgrim and possibly GoldenEye 007, what other game was considered impossible to bring back????

OK, maybe I'm wrong here, but didn't Embracer Group buy the studios from Square/Enix that developed marvel games and acquired the licenses as well?  Maybe they are working with Capcom and Marvel to get the Marvel Vs Capcom series and other marvel arcade games ported to modern systems.

While that would be pretty big, I have zero interest in purchasing those games.  I still have other ways to play most all of that including the PS3 digital versions of the games and the physical vita version of MvC3.

The main thing they can get me with is just XC3 Future Redeemed.  Or maybe another major RPG (turn based or action) that isn't getting a physical release (and hasn't had an asia-english option).

OK, maybe I'm wrong here, but didn't Embracer Group buy the studios from Square/Enix that developed marvel games and acquired the licenses as well? Maybe they are working with Capcom and Marvel to get the Marvel Vs Capcom series and other marvel arcade games ported to modern systems.

While that would be pretty big, I have zero interest in purchasing those games. I still have other ways to play most all of that including the PS3 digital versions of the games and the physical vita version of MvC3.

The main thing they can get me with is just XC3 Future Redeemed. Or maybe another major RPG (turn based or action) that isn't getting a physical release (and hasn't had an asia-english option).
I too think its a Marvel game but not MvC. Instead i think its Marvel Alliance 1 & 2. I dont think you can get those game right now and the Alliance games had a pre-order bonus of characters that NEVER was available after launch to purchase(i think).

I didnt preorder Alliance because i thought they were bluffing about the dlc character and eventually put those characters up for sale, but that never happened. So im think thats what they are doing, both Alliance 1 and 2 with all DLC characters. This would be the "impossible" game to get a physical right now for me

OK, maybe I'm wrong here, but didn't Embracer Group buy the studios from Square/Enix that developed marvel games and acquired the licenses as well? Maybe they are working with Capcom and Marvel to get the Marvel Vs Capcom series and other marvel arcade games ported to modern systems.

While that would be pretty big, I have zero interest in purchasing those games. I still have other ways to play most all of that including the PS3 digital versions of the games and the physical vita version of MvC3.

The main thing they can get me with is just XC3 Future Redeemed. Or maybe another major RPG (turn based or action) that isn't getting a physical release (and hasn't had an asia-english option).
Yeah, Embracer bought Crystal Dynamics who made Avengers and Eidos Montreal who made Guardians of the Galaxy. It'd be cool to see Carbon Engine used for notable older games like that but the velocity of Carbon Engine publishing seems really lackluster; it was announced in 2021 and we've gotten Shantae, Bill & Ted, RCG0, and I think that's it?

Yeah, Embracer bought Crystal Dynamics who made Avengers and Eidos Montreal who made Guardians of the Galaxy. It'd be cool to see Carbon Engine used for notable older games like that but the velocity of Carbon Engine publishing seems really lackluster; it was announced in 2021 and we've gotten Shantae, Bill & Ted, RCG0, and I think that's it?
Xtreme sports just came out digitally today and boy and his blob arrived to customers a week ago. So it’s slowly picking up… i’ll give xtreme a spin to see how that port is (wayforward sent me a review copy)

I too think its a Marvel game but not MvC. Instead i think its Marvel Alliance 1 & 2.
I think it's too close to the Activision Blizzard purchase by Microsoft to have them making a deal with LRG/Embracer. But that would indeed be another one that some folks would be really cool to get. Personally if I were hot to get them, I'd just grab the Wii versions as they don't appear rare or valuable (second game being closer to retail price, but first game being under $20). But these games don't really appeal to me even though I have a lot of Marvel love and they were my preferred comic publisher when I was into comics.

There was also Trip World DX... and some Jurrassic Park games (right?). I'm not really keeping up with that stuff since most of it is easy enough to just emulate and is an easy pass for me.

It would make some sense that MVG who was big into arcade emulation would expand carbon engine from NES, GB, SNES to Arcade (CPS1/2/3 & Naomi).

Only huge game that definitely was not getting a physical release?

Alan Wake 2.

And yeah, that one for PS5 probably would make me order from LRG.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a game that needs a remake. If that was the big get they were alluding to people would definitely be excited for it. 

Couldn't it be like some games for the Sega CD? I think you can play burned games on any stock SegaCD right? So it would easy to just make those games and Josh loves his collection of Sega games and LRG is all about preservation and all that jizz jazz. Maybe they got some Working Desings games like Popful Mail or Lunar 1/2? I feel like that's a company that just encapsulates the market LRG would want to go for and those licenses have been dormant for so long that it's an enticing opportunity for both LRG and whoever hell owns those licenses. 

Remember, Disney gets a swing at anything Marvel now.

I doubt it's anything to do with those properties.

It's gotta be something ported forward with their fancy emulator that has either languished in "who owns it? hell, like No One Lives Forever, or something that, I'd bet, has to do with some other weird licensing, like the Cool Spot Genesis game.

Nintendo ain't working with them when they can charge $60 for emulated ports just fine.

Microsoft or Sony have their own lanes in the form of subscriptions for older stuff and don't give to sharts about physical, Microsoft more so.

That leaves someone like SEGA, another Konami thing, or some other third party owned under the Embracer umbrella that may or may not be publicly known that they have, since licenses historically get bundled in publisher/developer buy outs.

My only speculation is how much of a wet fart it'll be and whether it'll be before KEMCO puts out Raging Byte (not that bad,from the demo...).

Edit: If they got Vagrant Story, that'd be interesting, but it already has a physical release in the ESRB region. Ports are reprints, to me. Seems like they just want to chase the collector's cash market then actually preservation.

But that likely means digital releases, as well. Hope it's an actual remaster and not emulated stuffs.

If they finally got to Victor Ireland and navigated porting the old Working Designs games forward, that would certainly be a feat, but those jokes have aged somewhat poorly. I'd be for the SEGA CD titles, since they're truly obscure in comparison to Lunar (I love Lunar).

Hell, here's my want:

Policenauts, first official English translation, remastered on modern consoles.

Couldn't it be like some games for the Sega CD? I think you can play burned games on any stock SegaCD right? So it would easy to just make those games and Josh loves his collection of Sega games and LRG is all about preservation and all that jizz jazz. Maybe they got some Working Desings games like Popful Mail or Lunar 1/2? I feel like that's a company that just encapsulates the market LRG would want to go for and those licenses have been dormant for so long that it's an enticing opportunity for both LRG and whoever hell owns those licenses.
Wrecking, er, i mean Working Designs was contacted for the Genesis Mini 2, but Vic Ireland wanted a stupid amount of money to use their VA/Scriptwork, which they still fully owned: for comparison, the JP Genesis Mini 2 managed to secure and get license to all sorts of stuff from Captain Tsubasa to reissue the popular SCD game, and whatever Vic wanted was likely *more* than the expensive anime stuff Sega went through for Tsubasa and some of the other licensed stuff. So thus, Popful/Lunar were JP only.

I mean, Embracer + LRG would seem crazy enough to entertain vic's costs and such and it isn't impossible: AtGames got the license to WD's turbografx telenet CD games, including the dreadful Exile II localization that spiked the difficulty to impossible degrees, meaning not only did they pay konami for the PCE CD bios, but they paid whatever Vic wanted for those old localizations... So LRG could probably nab those turbo games at least or even maybe the SCD Popful mail. (since they worked with falcom before) Granted my personal opinion is that if I were LRG I'd commission as much of the OG VAs as possible for Lunar 1/2 and fully relocalize the games: more faithful to the JP source material and none of the nonsense gameplay edits WD shoehorned in. That or the PS1 ports, which toned down that BS a lot and are fairly good.

But yeah my honest expectation is something more lowkey like Snatcher SCD. Seems like a fine choice for a carbon game especially if Konami doesn't wanna port it themselves. The Sega BIOS may be next to impossible to license though since they're a lot more strict about loaning out the SCD bios than konami is with the PCE one (and Snatcher PCE is fully JP only)

I honestly keep forgetting Vic Ireland exists. I wonder what he does these days? 

I know a lot of people hate the WD releases of games but I'm not enough of a Japaophile/Otaku/Weeb/whatever to care that the localizations "sucked". I was just happy to have Lunar, Alundra and Popful Mail (not to mention tons I never played but would have if I had unlimited free time) in English and loved the physical fanfare/TLC with their releases. 

Vic Ireland just straight-up fell off the face of the Earth. Every now and then I'll go down a rabbit hole looking for updates and nada. Someone he worked with at Gaijinworks confirmed he was still alive after an obituary for someone with the same name surfaced. Last year someone alleged that he reached out about the Sega mini-consoles (link) but it I'm personally skeptical. I'm thoroughly impressed by how completely and totally he's vanished.

WD and Gaijinworks are such an interesting, obscure niche. There's a lot to say (good and bad) about their localizations but it's a bit sad that so much of their work faded into obscurity.

My guess on the big games Josh signed is that it has to be from Capcom. I know he's wanted to work for them for years. He came close to getting a deal with them years ago, but then a leadership change at Capcom cancelled everything. The clue is he mentions meetings across the world to sign these games, so I'm assuming at least it would have to be a Japanese publisher or possibly a European one if it's not Capcom. 

I guess it's possible. It could be something Capcom doesn't release physically in the west like Ghost Trick. Though I think those of us that want those games physically have already imported them.

I guess it's possible. It could be something Capcom doesn't release physically in the west like Ghost Trick. Though I think those of us that want those games physically have already imported them.
Remember, imports are no-no items in LRG land. They block their Japanese published games from being imported.

Maybe if they were faster and more reasonably priced in releasing ESRB versions, they'd not have that problem...

Remember, imports are no-no items in LRG land. They block their Japanese published games from being imported.
I don't think this would be the same case. There's a lot of games that got Japanese physical releases that LRG has then done an ESRB version of after.

Yeah... and some of us still have these games on other platforms. I still have the original DS release and the digital iOS version. I would hope it would be something hard to get or prohibitively expensive on the aftermarket... or something that is truly digital only and has never had a physical release on consoles/handhelds.

Lol at all this conversation though... whatever it is there's little chance it's worth this kind of speculation. It's probably another FPS from the 90s that I don't comprehend why people are going gaga over it (and that's coming from someone that was big into FPS's in the 90s and currently still has his big box pc game collection).

That leaves someone like SEGA, another Konami thing, or some other third party owned under the Embracer umbrella that may or may not be publicly known that they have, since licenses historically get bundled in publisher/developer buy outs.
Josh's follow-up comments mention that this is a deal he'd been pursuing for 6-7 years and that it required traveling to multiple locations around the world. I don't think it'd be something Embracer-owned, but it's possible this is something he'd been chasing for ages, and selling to Embracer knocked down some roadblocks with a corporate sibling.

So: "huge games", a multinational partner that is presumably based outside of the U.S. but still has some sort of presence here, a partner that has no interest in doing a physical release of these titles (as mentioned in another follow-up), seeming a sufficiently large company that there's plenty of red tape to wade through, and, given the amount of time it took to make this happen, presumably a company whose games LRG haven't released before or at least few/none of their crown jewels. I don't have any ideas (although I agree with ecwfan that Capcom sounds like it'd fit the bill), but I'm very doubtful it's Kemco and probably isn't Konami. I do suspect that it's something more on the retro side of things, though, or at least encompasses more than just very recent/new titles.

We should know more pretty soon; Josh also said that the first release will be revealed in "the next handful of months".

https://twitter.com/digitaleclipse/status/1691852078849904677?s=46&t=BIrOqgoNtPGi8Kt_AEPGdg

When asked about physical of Karateka; digital releases Aug. 29.

If it's that nuts, requiring 6-7 years, it has to be some licensing nightmare. Perhaps some classic Capcom game that has multiple license holders between the publishing, the music, etc. etc.

Only counter is that Capcom has no problem reissueing old games most of the time, see every MegaMan collection ever.

Kinda rules out Vagrant Story; I doubt Square would pair with LRG, since they, too, like to print their own money on Remasters/upres ports.

Here I was thinking maybe the Simpsons Arcade game, given they got Turtles stuff and it's hugely popular.

Or how about something like Hagane? That's pretty obscure title, too.

Couldn't it be like some games for the Sega CD? I think you can play burned games on any stock SegaCD right? So it would easy to just make those games and Josh loves his collection of Sega games and LRG is all about preservation and all that jizz jazz. Maybe they got some Working Desings games like Popful Mail or Lunar 1/2? I feel like that's a company that just encapsulates the market LRG would want to go for and those licenses have been dormant for so long that it's an enticing opportunity for both LRG and whoever hell owns those licenses.
Lunar collection would be the hugest get. Probably the only thing bigger would be a shadow hearts collection and that will never happen.

Shadow Hearts totally fits the bill, as it has so many different publishers, it's kinda nuts.

They'd have me for that...
Isn't it just Midway for SH and SH Covenant and Xseed for From the New World?

All this talk of Lunar and Shadow Hearts is making me think, there's been a lot of dormant JRPGs series..... Grandia and Wild Arms are two others that come to mind.

Grandia has had re-releases already and Sony owns Wild Arms; Sony would rather you subscribe to their services than futzing with physical editions.

Shadow Hearts had several different publishers around the world, different rights holders, and Midway was bought out by Warner Bros, making it likely absurdly hard to get publishing rights.

If it's that nuts, requiring 6-7 years, it has to be some licensing nightmare. Perhaps some classic Capcom game that has multiple license holders between the publishing, the music, etc. etc.
It's unclear how many games this deal involves, but it's more than one for sure. Maybe a franchise, maybe an entire line of games, maybe a bunch of older games that have fallen out of circulation?

All this talk of Lunar and Shadow Hearts is making me think, there's been a lot of dormant JRPGs series..... Grandia and Wild Arms are two others that come to mind.
there are a lot but grandia and wild arms have gotten recent ports as mentioned below.

Grandia has had re-releases already and Sony owns Wild Arms; Sony would rather you subscribe to their services than futzing with physical editions.

Shadow Hearts had several different publishers around the world, different rights holders, and Midway was bought out by Warner Bros, making it likely absurdly hard to get publishing rights.
additionally wild arms and shadow hearts have spiritual sequels kick starters in the works iirc that are actually being made by people who worked on the originals I read.

Shadow hearts wise the biggest hurdle is that some random company owns the rights to the ip and that doesn't make it possible from my understanding.

Xenosaga?  Namco would normally handle themselves, but previously said they won’t.  Maybe a new partnership with them?

It's probably Solar Jetman or StarTropics is my guess.

They think that 1990 games that were on the front cover of a Nintendo Power magazine once are a big deal apparently. 

if we're going outlandish, here we go. Josh faked us out by it being new games. Microsoft has hired Playtonic to develop Banjo-Threeie. MS will publish it digitally on XSX and Switch plus day 1 game pass. LRG will handle the physical releases. :pray:

you all so have Koudelka for ps1 published Infogrames now Atari SA

Oh duh, I completely forgot LRG already did Grandia.

you all so have Koudelka for ps1 published Infogrames now Atari SA
Completely forgot about Koudelka... I could never get past like the first hour of that game, always felt like I just kept getting shitty drops.

If they finally got to Victor Ireland and navigated porting the old Working Designs games forward, that would certainly be a feat, but those jokes have aged somewhat poorly. I'd be for the SEGA CD titles, since they're truly obscure in comparison to Lunar (I love Lunar).
https://youtu.be/Drw39IypXYw

bread's done
Back