Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
So.. this new system doesn't seem to have my address saved, not sure why. It's in my account. I also noticed this:
1705254578825.png

So they're saying... what, LRG doesn't see any of the money until LRG ships? And you can cancel pre-orders? I find the former hard to believe but the latter seems nice..

So.. this new system doesn't seem to have my address saved, not sure why. It's in my account. I also noticed this:
View attachment 244

So they're saying... what, LRG doesn't see any of the money until LRG ships? And you can cancel pre-orders? I find the former hard to believe but the latter seems nice..
Interesting. Being able to cancel pre orders is how I read that.

I still dont get the purpose of Purple Dot. You sill get charged in full at time of preorder except now Purple Dot gets the interest free loan and not LRG. You can cancel easily now too, but in the past if you opened a ticket you could also cancel under most circumstances. You can no longer use Paypal and Pay in 4. My guess is this is because Purple Dot specializes in preorders and Paypal is not supposed to work with preorders over a certain length of time away.

The easy way for Purple Dot to start using Paypal would be to only charge your card (or Paypal) at time of shipment, like any legitimate major online retailer. That should be able to be accomplished since LRG doesn't seem to see the funds until shipping anyway (though Purple Dot would lose on that free interest they would normally earn from your money if they held it).

I did notice the coupon field last night in checkout, though not sure if that was a new addition or if everyone else just missed it before.

I think Purple Dot’s appeal is that customers can self-serve/update their orders. That means less need to pay for customer support and less time fighting charge-backs, etc.

I still dont get the purpose of Purple Dot. You sill get charged in full at time of preorder except now Purple Dot gets the interest free loan and not LRG. You can cancel easily now too, but in the past if you opened a ticket you could also cancel under most circumstances. You can no longer use Paypal and Pay in 4. My guess is this is because Purple Dot specializes in preorders and Paypal is not supposed to work with preorders over a certain length of time away.

The easy way for Purple Dot to start using Paypal would be to only charge your card (or Paypal) at time of shipment, like any legitimate major online retailer. That should be able to be accomplished since LRG doesn't seem to see the funds until shipping anyway (though Purple Dot would lose on that free interest they would normally earn from your money if they held it).

I did notice the coupon field last night in checkout, though not sure if that was a new addition or if everyone else just missed it before.

Yeah but then how would LRG get interest free loans? Why won't you think of poor lil' LRG's profits welfare?

I wonder if this Purple Dot thing is an "the end is coming" thing (not sure if said previously). Offload short term preorder dollars to a third party, be ready to pull the plug when Embracer says adios.

Yeah but then how would LRG get interest free loans? Why won't you think of poor lil' LRG's profits welfare?

Supposedly Purple Dot is now getting the interest free loans (since they are holding the preorder money), not LRG. I assume they would then pay LRG when the items ship.

I wonder if this Purple Dot thing is an "the end is coming" thing (not sure if said previously). Offload short term preorder dollars to a third party, be ready to pull the plug when Embracer says adios.
Embracer Group, as a whole, is bleeding cash and assets. They're the parent company of LRG.

Given LRG had to clearance out a lot of garbage recently, and I would bet they're not hitting minimum print quotas on certain stinker new titles, and they're likely sitting on a lot of stale inventory. They can move the Castlevania, Persona, and similar stuff, but I bet the other releases are not more niche and low volume.

I would bet there are not enough people out their buying PC Engine CD RPGs (Cosmic Fantasy, 2 SKUs). And I would bet stuff like Rocket Knight Adventures (9 SKUs) and Felix the Cat (6 SKUs) will be hard to meet quotas, as well.

I wonder if they are just printing minimum platforms quantities and then splitting that batch into the various CEs, which is why they take forever to issue CEs, but seem to be consistent on standard editions.

Embracer Group, as a whole, is bleeding cash and assets. They're the parent company of LRG.

Given LRG had to clearance out a lot of garbage recently, and I would bet they're not hitting minimum print quotas on certain stinker new titles, and they're likely sitting on a lot of stale inventory. They can move the Castlevania, Persona, and similar stuff, but I bet the other releases are not more niche and low volume.

I would bet there are not enough people out their buying PC Engine CD RPGs (Cosmic Fantasy, 2 SKUs). And I would bet stuff like Rocket Knight Adventures (9 SKUs) and Felix the Cat (6 SKUs) will be hard to meet quotas, as well.

I wonder if they are just printing minimum platforms quantities and then splitting that batch into the various CEs, which is why they take forever to issue CEs, but seem to be consistent on standard editions.

That is how it works. If they sell 5000 standards and 2000 CEs, they print 7000 standards. Then they need to source the materials for the 2000 CEs which is why standards will always ship first.

Supposedly Purple Dot is now getting the interest free loans (since they are holding the preorder money), not LRG. I assume they would then pay LRG when the items ship.
It appears that Purple Dot is selling itself as a means of complying with FTC regulations that they believe regulate pre-orders and require a refund option if there are delays in delivering based on the estimated delivery date at the time of the pre-order. I suspect LRG's new owners are concerned about a potential class action lawsuit which is why they made this rather drastic shift. I'll be honest and say I have never seen other collectibles companies interpret the FTC regulations in this manner, but it does seem that Purple Dot is having success in getting other companies to utilize their services. https://www.getpurpledot.com/insigh...-understanding-the-ftcs-pre-order-regulations

I thought that FTC regulation sounded familiar, turns out there was a post about it on Reddit in 2022:
I think this falls under the banner of "things that could be litigated but probably won't be." Like streaming on Twitch or trademark removal for lack of enforcement. Legal action is more expensive than anything they sell, so they could probably resolve most threats by offering a refund.

Also it looks like Purple Dot is based in North Carolina in the US (and London overseas): https://www.getpurpledot.com/about. Probably just a coincidence since that area of NC is becoming more of a tech hub, but I bet the proximity helped them get in the door with LRG.

Worst news, Piranha Bytes is likely going under; yet another Embracer Group subsidiary dying on the vine.

Link

Piranha Bytes is a pretty well establish Euro-jank RPG maker, too.

Reading up on Piranha Bytes (as I never tried one of the few games they made)... it kind of makes sense that they weren't going to make it. Especially when the founder left several months ago. While it's sad to see companies shutting down, I don't think any of the ones announced so far have been that surprising given their track record.

Really sad to hear about Piranha Bytes, I liked what I played of Risen and Gothic as janky as they were. At least the Gothic remake is safe since it's at another studio.

The Pirate's Curse thing leaked a while ago and people didn't want to believe that LRG would do such a low-effort shoe-in for their last 3DS game. Turns out, that's kinda their MO; I think everything in this CE is leftover from other platforms' releases of Pirate's Curse. They're even using the Rising Star cartridges. Oh well, now maybe they can announce Bird King and rip off that band-aid too.

Edit to add: Per Twitter, it seems like the earlier PC leak might have been due to a breach:

I still have my 3DS retail release of Shantae Pirate's Curse ... so an easy skip. Heck, I think it might still be sealed.

For anyone on the fence about the Cosmic Fantasy Collection only having the first two games.... this is how they released in Japan. The other two games (with both versions of the 4th game) came out as Cosmic Fantasy Collection 2 late last year in Japan, so a very good shot we get them too.

That said, I'm waffling on buying this... I'm thinking maybe waiting to see what the digital versions cost. Also, I didn't think about this but it probably doesn't have english voice acting on any of it... which reduces my interest a lot.

I still like how Switch completely obsoleted the 3DS. (and dev for it).

one of the best systems of all-time. now it feels ancient. esp with the proliferation of all the other numerous PC and independent handhelds.

Really sad to hear about Piranha Bytes, I liked what I played of Risen and Gothic as janky as they were. At least the Gothic remake is safe since it's at another studio.

The Pirate's Curse thing leaked a while ago and people didn't want to believe that LRG would do such a low-effort shoe-in for their last 3DS game. Turns out, that's kinda their MO; I think everything in this CE is leftover from other platforms' releases of Pirate's Curse. They're even using the Rising Star cartridges. Oh well, now maybe they can announce Bird King and rip off that band-aid too.

Edit to add: Per Twitter, it seems like the earlier PC leak might have been due to a breach:
I'd imagine the breach looked something like this,
fbi.gif

Josh isn't the most trustworthy given his record of saying shit and then being proven wrong in time.

And it's really weird they had to go through another publisher, who does physical releases themselves, to get "the last off the line" carts.

And VGP isn't selling warehouse overstock, as far as I know. Really weird all the so-called overstock were heavily sought after games with high dollar aftermarket value.

Here's VGP talking about reprinting Soul Hackers in Aug 22.

Makes me believe they're sitting on Vita stuff just be to be "no we got the last carts off the line!"

Like, dude, just sell products. You reprinted a game, even though you said that wasn't your thing. Deal with it, not the first time your company has broken a promise.

It would be rarer if you kept one.

Last edited:
Josh isn't the most trustworthy given his record of saying shit and then being proven wrong in time.

This, plus Josh acts like he knows everything that's going on, but that by no means he actually knows what's reality. Totally possible he got told one thing and VGP got told another. Also possible he's saying these things to hype the last 3DS releases he was able to get done for LRG even if others got ones after.

Like, dude, just sell products. You reprinted a game, even though you said that wasn't your thing. Deal with it, not the first time your company has broken a promise.

Less discussed, but they also reprinted Meat Boy on Switch. It was given to BestBuy first and made open pre-order after that. When asked about it, their response was just "they're different."
7GcRPoG.png

In other words:
kCzjunl.png

I still like how Switch completely obsoleted the 3DS. (and dev for it).

one of the best systems of all-time. now it feels ancient. esp with the proliferation of all the other numerous PC and independent handhelds.
It's a real shame. The tech is better but there were games only playable because of the touch screen that will never be playable again. As well as stuff like theaterhythm that I only played with the touch screen controls and I couldn't see getting sss perfect critical without those on the highest difficulty.

bread's done
Back