Linking Macbook to Samsung 26in 720 hdtv

Tboz524

CAG Veteran
Thats right... wanting to set my macbook up to project onto my samsung 26in hdtv. I went to radioshack to scope out stuff, and like usual they were complete idiots about the topic. Let me know what I need to adapt the dvi to the macbook. I saw some stuff on ebay but the cord wasnt very long. If anyone has a mac or knows anything on the topic what is the best way to go about it? Also whats the cheapest/best way. Thanks tb

I think you just need a Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable (I am assuming your Samsung has HDMI input. If your Sammy has a DVI input, then you need a DVI to DVI cable).

After your monitor is connected, you want to set your displays to mirrored mode.

I have a Macbook Pro which has a DVI output instead of Mini-DVI. Therefore, I use a DVI to DVI cable to hook up to my Dell monitor.

I can add to this thread or PM you the details for setting your displays to mirrored mode after I get home and get on my lappy. By the way, are you running leopard?

it has both the dvi or the hdmi plug ins in the back of it... which would be better to connect it to..the dvi or the hdmi connector. I think I need the mac mini dvi but will need the extra dvi to dvi connector to actually connect the thing without having it hang from the back of the tv

Probably dvi because it should be easier to get sound hooked up, otherwise it doesn't really matter as picture quality will be the same.

[quote name='Tboz524']it has both the dvi or the hdmi plug ins in the back of it... which would be better to connect it to..the dvi or the hdmi connector. I think I need the mac mini dvi but will need the extra dvi to dvi connector to actually connect the thing without having it hang from the back of the tv[/QUOTE]

1) I agree that you need the DVI to HDMI or the DVI to DVI cable because the Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter is worthless in terms of length.

2) Both the DVI to HDMI and the DVI to DVI cable would work well. However, since this is CAG, I prefer having my gaming console using the HDMI connection on my monitor and my lappy using the DVI connection on the monitor. If you decide to go a different route and connect a console via DVI, then make sure your DVI connection on your tv is HDCP compliant (from my understanding, you will have issues if you try to connect a ps3 and play blu-ray movies if the connection is not HDCP compliant)

3) As for setting up the macbook:
a) Make sure your lappy is connected to your tv
b) Click on System Preferences
c) Click on Displays
d) Click on Arrangement (middle tab)
e) Select the check box to the left of Mirror Displays

4) Don't get ripped off on the cables. Use a place like monoprice.

bread's done
Back