Linux vs Windows 7

fedrorpet

CAG Veteran
Windows 7

* Better at synthetic benchmarks.
* Faster transfer of large files.
* Final version likely to improve.
* Suspend/resume works!
* Desktop search is well implemented and can go online.
* Media libraries can be pinned to the start menu and task bar.
* Jump lists can genuinely help improve efficiency.
* Starter: No Aero and no 64-bit.
* Home Basic: Developed for emerging markets.
* Home Premium: Standard edition including Aero and touch.
* Professional: Adds remote desktop and encrypted filesystem.
* Enterprise: Unix application support and volume licensing.
* Ultimate: As with enterprise, but for individual users.

Linux

* Faster booting.
* Less memory usage.
* Smaller install size.
* Broader hardware compatibility.
* Nepomuk blurs the border between local and online.
* Gnome Do replaces the task bar entirely.
* Google's Desktop widgets now on Gnome and KDE.
* Starter: No Linux is this restrictive.
* Home Basic: Crunchbang or Ubuntu.
* Home Premium: For eye candy, try Mint or Kubuntu.
* Professional: Fedora offers encryption as an installation option.
* Enterprise: OpenSUSE should work well with Windows.
* Ultimate: No matter which Linux you choose, there's no restrictions.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']You forgot to mention pretty much the only reason to use Windows.

Games.[/QUOTE]

You can find Linux installs for many of the Windows games these days.

I have Linux and Windows games. It's actually getting more and more rare to find games that don't have an Linux install.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Dual-booting: Learn it, live it, love it.[/QUOTE]

YEP!

[quote name='Megazell']You can find Linux installs for many of the Windows games these days.[/QUOTE]

Er, what? It's hard enough to find Mac versions of games let alone Linux. WINE can do a little work but most games run like garbage on it.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Er, what? It's hard enough to find Mac versions of games let alone Linux. WINE can do a little work but most games run like garbage on it.[/QUOTE]

Nah man. Take a look @ my Free gaming post. Most of the games have linux ready to install from the same DL. With no issue whatsoever.

This is a classic problem, upfront I run Windows 7 64bit exclusively, it all depends on your needs. for example now that PS3 media server serves media to xbox 360 just fine and is a native java app, the only reason I have left to stay in the microsoft camp is I do Asp.net development... Windows 7 64bit is GREAT and Ubuntu 9.04 is great, installed to test on my desktop and laptop, wireless/sound everything worked great. If you aren't a gamer, or use a windows only application suite you have no reason to play for Windows 7, I would say go Linux, it is as easy as Windows Now and runs just as good.

Windows 7 for gaming; Ubuntu Linux for everything else. Yay for dual booting.

I like the security and customization of Linux. Windows is my videogaming playground and that's about it.

bread's done
Back