Liquidation and "Super" sales

cman

CAGiversary!
Hey fellow CAGs,
Have any of you ever gone to any of the liquidation or "Super" sales, where you must pay an entry fee to get access to the sale? I'm considering attending one and the entry fee is $10. Is the entry fee usually worth it to get access to the deals inside or is this all just a scam to make money? Has anyone had any experience with this and could discuss whether the deals were worth the entry fee?

Yeah, what he said. Don't waste your $10. I went to one once and it was just a bunch of fleamarket type of shit. They advertised name brands, but there were very very few. The majority was those knock-off names that try to sound like name brands.

I went to one in Minneapolis while I lived there. I have been to probably 5 or 6 of these total. The one in Minneapolis was night-and-day different from the others I have been to.

Normally it is a bunch of dealers who have purchased close-out deals on last year's models of everything. Also, normally they try to sell for the most they can get, which is often close to retail and for a discontinued stock of merchandise is WAY over-valued. However, you can often haggle also, and if there's something specific you want like a phone or speakers or something you might find a little treasure in there.

As I said, the one in Minne was the exception. The guy running it was an Ebay dealer and just had too much stock. He had TONS of stuff from Best Buy, etc. All his merchandise was either close-out or returned merchandise. I'm not sure how he got it, but I guess he bought it in bulk from Best Buy. He sold it for WAY below retail and was very reasonable in his pricing. I bought several high-end phones and made a killing on Ebay myself with them.

This is all to say that the odds are very, very high that you won't find much of a deal there, but it might be worth sticking your head in if you have 10 bucks you don't mind losing to satisfy your curiosity. Irregardless, you'll know if there are going to be any deals to be had within 2 minutes of walking through the doors...

[quote name='cman']Hey fellow CAGs,
Have any of you ever gone to any of the liquidation or "Super" sales, where you must pay an entry fee to get access to the sale? I'm considering attending one and the entry fee is $10. Is the entry fee usually worth it to get access to the deals inside or is this all just a scam to make money? Has anyone had any experience with this and could discuss whether the deals were worth the entry fee?[/QUOTE]

i used to go to these back in the 90s and they were GReAT... many very good deals , but ever since around 2001 or 2002 they are a total rip off.. they advertise PS2 games 4.99 ... they have jampacks for 4.99 and the rest of the games are normal prices or higher..

last one i went to was back in 2004 and i had to laugh when i was watching people buying watches and necklaces at 90% off... im sorry but i would never buy a 500 buck watch at one of these sales.. dude probally woke up the next day and his wrist was green dude to the watch was fake

Waste of $$ and time. Went to one in Urbana, IL a few years ago and it was ridiculous. A few games, stereo systems, etc. for cheap (though they were cheap models anyway) , yet the rest of the merchandise was as expensive, if not more, as retail.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've previously attended computer shows that had an entry fee and usually found it to be worth it. I suppose this is different for the retail super sales. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Those thing are really hit or miss. Sometimes you find some good deals, sometimes it isn't even worth the price of admission.

[quote name='chosen1s']
As I said, the one in Minne was the exception. The guy running it was an Ebay dealer and just had too much stock. He had TONS of stuff from Best Buy, etc. All his merchandise was either close-out or returned merchandise. I'm not sure how he got it, but I guess he bought it in bulk from Best Buy. He sold it for WAY below retail and was very reasonable in his pricing. I bought several high-end phones and made a killing on Ebay myself with them...[/QUOTE]

I think I know where that guy lives. There was a garage sale in my home town last year where they were selling those sorts of items. My buddy bought an Xbox live headset and month subscription for $5.00.

bread's done
Back