List of all FREE Xbox Live Marketplace content (2.0)

FREE 7-Eleven SPK Slurpee Avatar prop on The GRID section.
Yep, I was just going to post that. Looks like you have to get it via the ad and accept some e-mail invitation to get the download prompt. No 7-Elevens in my area. They do have Slurpees at Six Flags, but they way overpriced.

thumblg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The Plants vs. Zombies Table for Pinball FX2 is now available on Xbox One. If you own the Xbox 360 version, then the Xbox One version will be free.

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/DLC/Plants-vs-Zombies-Table/23994ca6-bfb7-47b4-90e9-9969e535f89d

If you own any other Pinball FX2 tables on Xbox 360, and there is an Xbox One version available it will be free for you.

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/dlc/Pinball-FX2/0a8f5900-3b9f-4346-ad03-eccbeaa8355a?Page=1

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Dlc/Pinball-FX2/0a8f5900-3b9f-4346-ad03-eccbeaa8355a?Page=2

Also, there's a Red Lobster ad that has some Crab Claw Avatar Prop. I haven't seen it myself yet. Thanks to Nonaims on the Xbox Avatar Gear Forums.

redlobster.jpg

Update: I got it.

thumblg.png

Ditto. Street Fighter is also not free for those that own the 360 version. Don't know why.
Seems others have the same issue. I guess you have to import it via your Xbox One to get it for free.

http://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?7023-Super-Streetfighter-2-table-on-marketplace

I also can't get the Xbox One version to show as FREE for Plants Vs Zombies on the website.

Supposedly if you have an Xbox One you can get it free w/ these instructions...

Make sure you are using the same account and try going to ‘Manage Game’ on your Xbox One, scroll to the right, and you should see content listed as ‘Ready for install.’ If that doesn’t work, and you are still being charged for the tables you’ve already downloaded, please contact Microsoft support.

https://blog.zenstudios.com/?p=5933#comments

I don't own an Xbox One, so I can't try.

i got Plants vs. Zombies Table and the Street Fighter II Table to work on the X-Box One for free but i had to go to the store and it showed both Tables free for me and that is one workaround to get the Tables to work for those of you that bought them for the 360.

i got Plants vs. Zombies Table and the Street Fighter II Table to work on the X-Box One for free but i had to go to the store and it showed both Tables free for me and that is one workaround to get the Tables to work for those of you that bought them for the 360.
PvZ doesn't show up on my X1 at all. What panel did it show up in?

Thanks but it didn't show up there either and it usually shows up in the game. I went through the X1 store and dl from there. When I went through the site it was charging me.

They are still putting that "This add-on works with: Forza Horizon 2: Presents Fast & Furious" on their add-ons. What a tease.

Also, why doesn't the Xbox 360 edition have any DLC?

I also noticed this other freebie, I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned.

Forza Horizon 2 2002 Ferrari 575M Maranello
Yeah, they've totally forgotten about us and are focusing on next gen. At least they could give the Forza Hub app on the 360. That would be useful.

*Page not found....
Yeah, it seems like they pulled it. I assume you'll have to hunt down some ad to get it if missed it.

Same here, but I found this one. Pretty sure its been posted here before though.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Product/Verizon-Game-Chat-Hover-Board/00001000-417d-02c3-c571-f32f58570b95

thumblg.png
There are a bunch of free Verizon avatar items.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Search?query=verizon&DownloadType=AvatarItem

Microsoft just formally announced the XBOX One will be backwards compatible with the XBOX 360.  The part that leaves me a little skeptical was "Moving forward, it apparently is a matter of developers simply saying "yes" to backwards compatibility."  I am sure companies that have XBONE and 360 versions of games will be unlikely to say "yes" so they can try to get some double dipping.  It does sound like Microsoft will do the work to make the compatibility happen though, so hopefully some great older games will get compatibility updates.

Microsoft just formally announced the XBOX One will be backwards compatible with the XBOX 360. The part that leaves me a little skeptical was "Moving forward, it apparently is a matter of developers simply saying "yes" to backwards compatibility." I am sure companies that have XBONE and 360 versions of games will be unlikely to say "yes" so they can try to get some double dipping. It does sound like Microsoft will do the work to make the compatibility happen though, so hopefully some great older games will get compatibility updates.
This was announced awhile ago. Preview members already have access to backwards compatibility for a few select games.

Microsoft just formally announced the XBOX One will be backwards compatible with the XBOX 360. The part that leaves me a little skeptical was "Moving forward, it apparently is a matter of developers simply saying "yes" to backwards compatibility." I am sure companies that have XBONE and 360 versions of games will be unlikely to say "yes" so they can try to get some double dipping. It does sound like Microsoft will do the work to make the compatibility happen though, so hopefully some great older games will get compatibility updates.
If devs have a :360: version and a :xb1: version of a game I doubt they would allow the :360: version to be playable on :xb1:. This is probably strictly for games on :360: that won't be ported to / remastered on :xb1:.

If devs have a :360: version and a :xb1: version of a game I doubt they would allow the :360: version to be playable on :xb1:. This is probably strictly for games on :360: that won't be ported to / remastered on :xb1:.
not true. Gears Of War 1 is BC even though we are getting a Remastered Edition so don't rule out GTA V, the Halo Games, Borderlands or any other game that got an HD Remake or Remastered Edition.

not true. Gears Of War 1 is BC even though we are getting a Remastered Edition so don't rule out GTA V, the Halo Games, Borderlands or any other game that got an HD Remake or Remastered Edition.
A glaring example I should have thought of myself. In fact playing GoW: UE will grant you acess to all four GoW from :360: via BC if you play it before the end of the year. Still, I expect it to be the exception and not the rule. :)

I'm pretty sure they actually announced that most first party games would be BC. They also announced that all future GWG would be BC but I'm not sure if that is from here on out or from when BC launches in November.

Unless Microsoft made some sort of breakthrough that has evaded developers / hackers for a long time, you can't emulate PowerPC efficiently on x86 without a significant step up in power.  The XB1 does not represent enough of a step up from the 360 (nor does the PS4 over the PS3).  I suspect Microsoft is doing some sort of binary to binary recompilation (effectively a port without needing the original source code) to eliminate a lot of the overhead involved in direct emulating 360 software.  This notion is backed up by the fact that the XB1 will not install games off 360 discs, instead it needs to go out and download an XB1 compatible version of the game.  Under copyright law, this kind of porting / recompilation is a derivative work that would require the approval of whoever holds the rights to the games.  For first party games, that's Microsoft, which is why they said first party games will be backwards compatible.  While developer / publisher approval could be used to prevent BC from cannibalizing potential remake / remaster sales, it's also mentioned for games that were delisted due to expired licensing contracts (like Marvel vs. Capcom) or companies that went under and the game rights are in limbo, but still prevent unapproved derivative works from being made.

Unless Microsoft made some sort of breakthrough that has evaded developers / hackers for a long time, you can't emulate PowerPC efficiently on x86 without a significant step up in power. The XB1 does not represent enough of a step up from the 360 (nor does the PS4 over the PS3). I suspect Microsoft is doing some sort of binary to binary recompilation (effectively a port without needing the original source code) to eliminate a lot of the overhead involved in direct emulating 360 software. This notion is backed up by the fact that the XB1 will not install games off 360 discs, instead it needs to go out and download an XB1 compatible version of the game. Under copyright law, this kind of porting / recompilation is a derivative work that would require the approval of whoever holds the rights to the games. For first party games, that's Microsoft, which is why they said first party games will be backwards compatible. While developer / publisher approval could be used to prevent BC from cannibalizing potential remake / remaster sales, it's also mentioned for games that were delisted due to expired licensing contracts (like Marvel vs. Capcom) or companies that went under and the game rights are in limbo, but still prevent unapproved derivative works from being made.
Google it and they tell how they got them working. I believe they said there is NO emulating of the games, and they tricked the XBO into thinking its a 360 so some technical mumbo jumbo.

Also, they said when they announced it at E3 that it was up to the developers on which games would be brought over. A lot of companies will be doing what Bethesda is doing with Fallout 4 and bringing their 360 titles to XBO via pre order bonuses as well. So win for them there too.

heh, I don't think this is the place for this conversation to take place. But here is a great article that explains how it works. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/revealed-how-xbox-one-can-play-360-games-via-backw/1100-6428366/
The Xbox One isn't emulating 360 games, but the actual 360 hardware itself. So the games think they are actually on a 360.
Yeah, I had read that article, but I don't fully believe the "bits are not touched" quote. If that were 100% true, you should be able to install a game off a 360 disc rather than download it. I'm not in the preview program, so I can't compare the sizes of the BC downloads to 360 sizes myself. The Rare Replay 360 games are up on the XB1 marketplace, however, and some of the XBLA games (both Banjos, Perfect Dark) are over 600 MB larger in the XB1 marketplace, while full games (Banjo Nuts & Bolts, Perfect Dark Zero) are about 1 GB larger. What's the extra overhead if it's a single emulator (which should only need to be downloaded / installed once through Rare Replay itself) and the original "bits are not touched"?

They ported the 360 OS to run as an app / game on the XB1, which is the emulator that runs the 360 games. The trick they haven't revealed is how they're able to maintain 360 level performance. If they said you'd be able to play 360 games on your XB1, except at about 5 frames per second, I'd believe they were actually running the 360 code in the emulator on the XB1. That's the kind of performance hit that comes with emulating PowerPC on x86. But maintaining the same frame rate as the 360? Like I said, unless MS made some sort of breakthrough, there's more going on under the hood. Perfectly understandable if they don't want to reveal exactly what they're doing (though if they did make a breakthrough, they may try to patent it), it may just take a couple years for hackers to dig their way into the system and figure it out.

This is exactly why for many gamers there's still no rush to upgrade to XB1. I won't until Gears of War 4 comes out next Christmas, Ultimate Edition wasn't enough for me. I can literally go play the first Gears of War ranked and get a full lobby in under 5 minutes still.

The lack of complete backwords compatibility, limited exclusive titles, and almost no Avatar features make the XB1 virtually useless to own at this point, unless you're a big fan of one of the exclusives, in which case I totally support the choice to upgrade. Just my 2, sorry for going off topic.

Yeah, I had read that article, but I don't fully believe the "bits are not touched" quote. If that were 100% true, you should be able to install a game off a 360 disc rather than download it. I'm not in the preview program, so I can't compare the sizes of the BC downloads to 360 sizes myself. The Rare Replay 360 games are up on the XB1 marketplace, however, and some of the XBLA games (both Banjos, Perfect Dark) are over 600 MB larger in the XB1 marketplace, while full games (Banjo Nuts & Bolts, Perfect Dark Zero) are about 1 GB larger. What's the extra overhead if it's a single emulator (which should only need to be downloaded / installed once through Rare Replay itself) and the original "bits are not touched"?

They ported the 360 OS to run as an app / game on the XB1, which is the emulator that runs the 360 games. The trick they haven't revealed is how they're able to maintain 360 level performance. If they said you'd be able to play 360 games on your XB1, except at about 5 frames per second, I'd believe they were actually running the 360 code in the emulator on the XB1. That's the kind of performance hit that comes with emulating PowerPC on x86. But maintaining the same frame rate as the 360? Like I said, unless MS made some sort of breakthrough, there's more going on under the hood. Perfectly understandable if they don't want to reveal exactly what they're doing (though if they did make a breakthrough, they may try to patent it), it may just take a couple years for hackers to dig their way into the system and figure it out.
I'm in the Preview Program and I've downloaded several of the games including the Arcade games, and they are all very large. I'm under the impression that each download includes a separate emulator that is executed when you run one of the games. It's not very efficient if you ask me, but I don't mind as I have a 2 TB HDD. :)

EDIT: For example Gears of War is advertised as a 6.27 GB download here, whereas the downloaded size of the BC version is well over 7 GB. For a ~6 GB game another GB doesn't matter as much as to a ~500 MB Arcade game. This could lend credence to the "bits are not touched" argument as you aren't only downloading the GoD version of the game but also its emulator so the sizes wouldn't match.

This is exactly why for many gamers there's still no rush to upgrade to XB1. I won't until Gears of War 4 comes out next Christmas, Ultimate Edition wasn't enough for me. I can literally go play the first Gears of War ranked and get a full lobby in under 5 minutes still.

The lack of complete backwords compatibility, limited exclusive titles, and almost no Avatar features make the XB1 virtually useless to own at this point, unless you're a big fan of one of the exclusives, in which case I totally support the choice to upgrade. Just my 2, sorry for going off topic.
I think the only place you'll find complete BC is on :pc: (maybe) and the original :ps3: because it include the :ps2: hardware in the console. The :xbox: games working on :360: was nice but I think they just stopped doing it after a while, and we may see that again with the :360: games working on :xb1:. But at least they are doing it which is much more than I ever expected. :)

So maaazing back to free stuff...

So maaazing back to free stuff...
We were discussing free stuff, but if the convo bores you feel free to click Ignore. :)

Anyway, I received an email from 2K Newsletter mentioning a new free Arena Mode map, Murder Pits, and a new hunter Jack "The Jackal" (not free). I don't see the map as free downloadable DLC at xbox.com so I guess it automatically downloads if you have the game installed (similar to PvZ:GW freebies). Can anyone confirm?

I'm in the Preview Program and I've downloaded several of the games including the Arcade games, and they are all very large. I'm under the impression that each download includes a separate emulator that is executed when you run one of the games. It's not very efficient if you ask me, but I don't mind as I have a 2 TB HDD. :)

EDIT: For example Gears of War is advertised as a 6.27 GB download here, whereas the downloaded size of the BC version is well over 7 GB. For a ~6 GB game another GB doesn't matter as much as to a ~500 MB Arcade game. This could lend credence to the "bits are not touched" argument as you aren't only downloading the GoD version of the game but also its emulator so the sizes wouldn't match.

I think the only place you'll find complete BC is on :pc: (maybe) and the original :ps3: because it include the :ps2: hardware in the console. The :xbox: games working on :360: was nice but I think they just stopped doing it after a while, and we may see that again with the :360: games working on :xb1:. But at least they are doing it which is much more than I ever expected. :)
Yeah, the size differences are odd given the "one emulator" quote. The differences between the 360 and XB1 Banjo / Perfect Dark XBLAs all fall around a 620-650 MB range, so they could be including an emulator with each game (stupidly inefficient) with some additional tweaks needed for each game. But then why do the full games need another 400 MB? Just odd. Or a lie company PR.

There are a number of other backward compatible game systems. PS2 playing PS1, GBA playing Gameboy / Color and Atari 7800 playing 2600 were also handled by the earlier systems' hardware being incorporated into its successors. Nintendo's more recent backward compatibility has come from using more powerful hardware in the same family. (And there's little reason the Wii U shouldn't be able to play Gamecube games aside from the desire to sell HD remasters.) Some other systems were backwards compatible but needed a dongle (2600 on 5200, Master System on Genesis).

Looks like MS stopped adding games to the Xbox on 360 BC list by November 2007, 2 years into the 360's life cycle. Interesting that it's roughly the same point in the XB1 life cycle that they're pushing backwards compatibility. Have to wonder if they'd have even bothered if the XB1 had gotten off to a better start relative to the PS4.

In the article relating to the E3 announcement which I linked were two tidbits that differed from what I heard in the previous previews and announcements:

"Moving forward, it apparently is a matter of developers simply saying 'yes' to backwards compatibility - Microsoft will do the heavy lifting and make sure the game's properly playable on the new hardware."

"It looks like it really is as simple as just putting your old disc in your new console and away you go. No need for updates"

To me the big takeaway is that if Microsoft is to be believed, it will be the publisher that would be the hold-up if their 360 game is not playable on XBOX One.  It also sounds like it is not a huge download for each game going forward, but instead the game is copied from disc to the HD.  I am sure no one will be borrowing games, renting them or otherwise getting a copy to load on their One :shame:

Now back to your regularly scheduled free content discussion

We were discussing free stuff, but if the convo bores you feel free to click Ignore. :)

Anyway, I received an email from 2K Newsletter mentioning a new free Arena Mode map, Murder Pits, and a new hunter Jack "The Jackal" (not free). I don't see the map as free downloadable DLC at xbox.com so I guess it automatically downloads if you have the game installed (similar to PvZ:GW freebies). Can anyone confirm?
I think it's just part of the game update, not something you have to seek out and d/l separately.

Conker's DLC from Project Spark can be bought for 1 token in game this weekend only:

“We wanted to take this opportunity to celebrate Rare Ltd. and their success with Rare Replay. What better way to celebrate than sharing Conker with as many creators as possible? Starting at 12:00am UTC this Friday (August 14th), the Conker Play & Create Bundle will be marked down to 1 credit/1 token in our in-game marketplace.
https://www.vg247.com/2015/08/15/conker-bundle-project-spark-free-xbl-w10/

bread's done
Back