List of all the Marvel Comic Movies in the Works

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Darkhorizon.com reported that on friday their was business report delivery time for Marvel Enterprises, reports which remain overtly optimistic. As in the previous first quarter reports, a gathering of the various 'comic book to film adaptation' projects status were brought up. Here's the list, including the most recent information surrounding them and comments from scooper 'Zephyr':

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2004

Blade: Trinity - Targeting a December 10, 2004 release

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2005

Elektra: New Regency / Fox - Script, Director, Filming started May '04, Jan. 14, 2005 release (just recently, Ben Affleck has said he'll have some type of cameo in the film)

Fantastic Four, Fox - Script, Director, Filming starts August '04, July 1, 2005 release (the actor playing Dr. Doom should be announced in the next couple of days)

Iron Man, New Line Cinema - Script, Slated for November 2005 or Summer 2006 (with the clock ticking, it's interesting to see them include the Summer 2006 slot)

Luke Cage, Sony/Columbia - Script, Director (the last rumored candidate was Tyrese, a favorite of Singleton)

Man-Thing, Lions Gate/Fierce - TBD (was finished a while back, wasn't it?)

Marvel Character Entertainment Projects in Development For 2006 & Beyond
(Development and release timing is controlled by Studio partners)

The Avengers, Lions Gate - Slated for Q1 2006 release (animated DVD)

X-Men 3, Fox - May 3, 2006 release (May 3 is a Wednesday, and Fox still seems confident in this release date, along with a push for a X3/X4 combo, yet the search for a director continues on)

Namor, Universal Pictures - Script, Slated for Summer 2006 (recently, it was said that Chris Columbus would be taking on the Atlantean prince, who could be played by the Rock...I still think Jude Law is a better choice)

Ghost Rider, Sony - Script, Director, Pre-production, Summer 2006 (strange thing is is that I've heard that they're aiming for a Spring 2006 release, similar to Hellboy. What's stranger is that Hellboy 2 might come around the same time. Could we have a super-natural hero from hell showdown?)

Black Widow, Lions Gate - Writer, Director, Slated for 2006 release (reports point to Rebecca Romijin-Stamos to play the Russian femme fatale)

The Punisher 2, Lions Gate - Writer, Director (in an interview today, Thomas Jane was treating the next movie like it was going into production tomorrow. Good sign. Last I heard, it's possible that Punisher 2 could come as early as Winter 2005)

The Hulk 2, Universal Pictures - Development (a tricky one, Arad has said that Gray Hulk could be a result as the psyche of Bruce, who desires to live with this, and "Hulk", who desires something else, end up with something worse)

Deathlok, Paramount - Script (with Lee Tamahori off the project, Deathlok remains in limbo)

Spider-Man 3, Sony/Columbia - Director, May 4, 2007 release (the only issue with this one is with the villians, with nearly 99.9999999% of reports being about Venom. Fans just want to see him...including me)

Dr. Strange, Dimension - Contract (Arad said that nothing is really going on with the project)

Iron Fist, Lions Gate - Contract (yeesh, this one's still topsy-turvy. Ray Park is still signed on, but even he has a limit to his patience)

Silver Surfer, Fox - Contract, Development (the most out-of-the-blue candidate for directing this epic came the other day. Avi Arad said that while strolling through Europe, he met Baz Lurhmann (sp?) and was shocked by how much of a Silver Surfer freak he was)

Ant-Man - TBD (out of the blue)

Black Panther - TBD (last I heard, a company by MC Hammer was going to make a film that "inspired" by Black Panther. Also, Arad has said that the film will be like "a black James Bond-meets-Batman")

Captain America - TBD (not much since that false rumor about that three-pic deal with Brad Pitt)

Nick Fury - TBD (awhile ago, it was supposedly Samuel L. Jackson that was to bring the Ultimate version of Nick Fury to pictures)

Thor - TBD (Arad has said that this project will be treated like LOTR, and they have found a way to blend in real and mythical elements together)

All of these films have a chance to be mildly successful. If, and this is a big if, the studios take their time to ensure a good product is put out. We have seen what attention to detail, and story-writing can do for a movie. ie: X-Men, X2, Spiderman, SM2. The dark side of the coin is movies like Daredevil and the new Punisher. They were both unoriginal in thought and very rushed.

I said all of that to say this...I hope they make choices that will make the fans happy, not their wallets.

ugh. The magic of comic movies comes from the fact that there arn't that many of them out there and they pic the good ones to come to screen (well, most of the time). I fear for future quality w/ this many pics coming out :whistle2:/

[quote name='ElfAngel7']ugh. The magic of comic movies comes from the fact that there arn't that many of them out there and they pic the good ones to come to screen (well, most of the time). I fear for future quality w/ this many pics coming out :whistle2:/[/quote]

Word.

Honestly, does anyone want to see Antman?

[quote name='StealthySeal']LMAO i have no clue who half of those are..... i didnt even know blade was a comic book![/quote]

Blade was a side character in the Tomb of Dracula series. He's alot different in the movies than he is in comic book.

I don't think Venom will make it to the next spiderman, they've already paved the way for Lizard and Hobgoblin, possibly Venom, but 3 villians in one movie may be excessive

A lot of the comic movies that have been shown ould be great. I'm sure that Marvel will weed out the crappy ones like Ant-man, but seeing Fantastic four and thor and Iron man would be pretty cool if they are done right. They have a better library of titles that they could have chosen from like Captain Marvel (which is much better than Antman for a movie), they could do a some spin-offs like they are doing with Daredevil with Electra. One spin-off could be wolverine , etc. If I'm not mistaken, they also hold the rights to Deadpool (though I'm not sure, it could be Dark Horse and I'm getting them confused.) If it is them than deadpool would be an awesome movie.

[quote name='danh920']I don't think Venom will make it to the next spiderman, they've already paved the way for Lizard and Hobgoblin, possibly Venom, but 3 villians in one movie may be excessive[/quote]

I'd be happy with seeing Doc Ock again because as for Spider-man villains, he can't be topped, IMO...

[quote name='danh920']I don't think Venom will make it to the next spiderman, they've already paved the way for Lizard and Hobgoblin, possibly Venom, but 3 villians in one movie may be excessive[/quote]

Man, I hear this almost everyday, but i'll say it here too. HARRY OSBORN NEVER WAS THE HOBGOBLIN! Harry Osborn was the second Green Goblin, the Hobgoblin was somebody completely different.

I'd really like to see Venom, as he'd look great on the big screen. I dunno though, it looks doubtful. I'd really hate the Goblin being in it again, as he already was in the first one.

[quote name='Dok Diamond']A liittle off-topic here but how many spider-man movies are they doing? I heard 5, but im not sure.[/quote]

So long as the box office dictates it there will be more Spidey flicks. The personnel may have to change over time but a franchise has been born. Fortunately, their core characters are fairly young. Franchises like Star Trek have always had a problem with making the leap from TV to film by starting with a cast that was getting pretty long in the tooth. Even on Next Generation without a decade plus gap between making the leap the cast was feeling a bit old for holding up action scenes.

They made some attempts to cycle in younger characters, like Saavik in the second Trek movie, but the audience didn't take to them as replacements for the main cast. They did something similar in the last season of ST:TNG with an episode that introduced four young officers specifically in hopes of building future material around them. Bzzzzt!

You can see a similar effect on the Stargate-SG1 cast. Most of them were fairly young at the outset but it's been eight years. THere was some thought given to doing three or four movies a year to give the cast a lighter schedule and opportunities to pursue other things but in the meantime Don Davis and Richard Dean Anderson were both feeling their years. Davis' health problems have now reduced him to guest shots and Anderson's role now has much less action required. It's been a great show but it had to end someday.

I suspect when the Spider-man stars don't want to do it anymore for any reasonable amount of money it will be time to think about doing it on TV again. The costs might be within reason by then.

[quote name='Dok Diamond']A liittle off-topic here but how many spider-man movies are they doing? I heard 5, but im not sure.[/quote]

Basically, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst are contracted for ONE more movie and Sam Raimi is still deciding whether he will do the third one (though he most likely wiill). As far as future spiderman movies beyond 3 are concerned, it is almost a given they will happen if 3 is even remotely successful. But, it looks like Kirsten Dunst may not be back for more after 3. She has said in an interview with IGN Movies that she is getting tired of playing her and is not interested in doing more beyond her contract. She also said that she thinks the series should END with 3 and maybe the writers should kill her off or spiderman (she's a genius isn't she?). According to her, Tobey may also not want to continue so its possible that after SM3 there could be a whole new cast. Of course, money talks though and i'm sure Kirsten or Tobey wouldn't need that much convincing if the paycheck was big enough.

Maybe I missed it, but where's the Hobgoblin reference in the first two movies?

[quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='danh920']I don't think Venom will make it to the next spiderman, they've already paved the way for Lizard and Hobgoblin, possibly Venom, but 3 villians in one movie may be excessive[/quote]

Maybe I missed it, but where's the Hobgoblin reference in the first two movies?[/quote]

I think the idea is that Harry Osborn is well on his way to following in his father's footsteps. Rather than just becoming a second Green Goblin like the comics they could move to a more popular character in the form of Hobgoblin. It wouldn't be unlike the way they compressed three different supporting females into the movie's Mary Jane. It would also give them a chance to avoid the Green Goblin costume. I always disliked that both in th comics and film versions.

I know this is about Marvel Comics, but I have to say that Warner Brothers is going to kill off the Comic Book to Movie fad with the Green Lantern movie that they have in the works. Its been described as “zany comedy version a la THE MASK.” with Jack Black starring.

It makes one wonder how in the world they've managed to not screw up the new Batman movie..yet.

What is the origin of Lizard? I didn't pick up on any future villan in Spiderman2 other than Harry, but I'm not familar with who the Lizard is from the comics.

[quote name='evilmax17']Man, I hear this almost everyday, but i'll say it here too. HARRY OSBORN NEVER WAS THE HOBGOBLIN! Harry Osborn was the second Green Goblin, the Hobgoblin was somebody completely different.[/quote]

Seriously, bugs the crap outta me too. Hobgoblin had a cape and a cowel and an orange face. I would hardly say that Hobgoblin is "more popular" than the Green Goblin. The true Green Goblin (Norman Osborne) is Spider-Man's greatest enemy (btw VENOM IS NOT!!! If you know anything about Spider-Man comics, you'll know this is true) I actually have the comic with the last appearance of the Harry Osborne Green Goblin. It was sad.[/b]

[quote name='davidmt']What is the origin of Lizard? I didn't pick up on any future villan in Spiderman2 other than Harry, but I'm not familar with who the Lizard is from the comics.[/quote]
Lizard was shown in Spider-Man 2. He's Dr. Curt Conners, Peter's college professor with the missing arm. I forgot how he lost it, but that led him to research lizards because of their ability to regenerate lost limbs. His research led him to experiment on himself and his arm grew back, but then eventually it turned him into a lizard too.

[quote name='ykryptonite13'][quote name='evilmax17']Man, I hear this almost everyday, but i'll say it here too. HARRY OSBORN NEVER WAS THE HOBGOBLIN! Harry Osborn was the second Green Goblin, the Hobgoblin was somebody completely different.[/quote]

Seriously, bugs the crap outta me too. Hobgoblin had a cape and a cowel and an orange face. I would hardly say that Hobgoblin is "more popular" than the Green Goblin. The true Green Goblin (Norman Osborne) is Spider-Man's greatest enemy (btw VENOM IS NOT!!! If you know anything about Spider-Man comics, you'll know this is true) I actually have the comic with the last appearance of the Harry Osborne Green Goblin. It was sad.[/b][/quote]

Glad someone else said it. Hobgoblin eventually gained demonic powers I believe, which is a far cry from the Green Goblin.

I agree. And besides, the only reports I have seen say that there will be two villains. And venom is not two villains. They still have another 3 movies to make, they don't want to blow their load with Venom too soon.

And the Avengers will kick ass. I loved the Ultimates and supposedly that is what it will be based off of. I wonder if they are going to bring back Eric Bana?

I'd really like to see Venom, as he'd look great on the big screen. I dunno though, it looks doubtful. I'd really hate the Goblin being in it again, as he already was in the first one.[/quote]

Agreed. He was also LAME. Funny, but I don't seem to hear a lot of cries from fans (or ANYONE) to see the Green Goblin return. It would be cool to see Harry as the enemy though - it would be an interesting dynamic.

Let's not forget - there's also the Green Hornet! Not a Marvel character, but will still be a high profile project, even though it is a very lame idea, and though I'm a fan of Kevin Smith, he is not much of a director, especially an action director, so, unless he develops or shows some hidden talents, this film will join Daredevil, Punisher, and Hulk on the steaming pile.

I don't care to see the Goblin again for 3. But I don't see how they can bring in Venom. They'd have to do some serious re-writing of his origin to make it feasible.

They are not going to do 5 movies, at least with the same cast. I dunno if I wanna see a spiderman without my boy Sam behind the director's chair. Next one is comin out 2007 allegedly, so I dont know how much longer before the stars get to old too. I think they could pull off venom if they did a 4th movie and used a similar storyline from the cartoon series and have half the 3rd as Black Spiderman and then end it with brock turning it in. They would have to film it back to back.

[quote name='ykryptonite13'][quote name='evilmax17']Man, I hear this almost everyday, but i'll say it here too. HARRY OSBORN NEVER WAS THE HOBGOBLIN! Harry Osborn was the second Green Goblin, the Hobgoblin was somebody completely different.[/quote]

Seriously, bugs the crap outta me too. Hobgoblin had a cape and a cowel and an orange face. I would hardly say that Hobgoblin is "more popular" than the Green Goblin. The true Green Goblin (Norman Osborne) is Spider-Man's greatest enemy (btw VENOM IS NOT!!! If you know anything about Spider-Man comics, you'll know this is true) I actually have the comic with the last appearance of the Harry Osborne Green Goblin. It was sad.[/b][/quote]

Get over it. It's called continuity compression. It's how writers deal with adapting material that was decades in the making while satisfying the fans demand to see their favorites. That Harry Osborne was never the Hobgoblin matters not a bit to the films. Mary Jane Watson was never thrown off a bridge by the Green Goblin in the comics. It was Gwen Stacy who died as a result and the event was something of a landmark in comics for having some real emotional impact and permanance. In the first film she simply doesn't exist and the cause of her death in the comics is merely a scary moment in the film.

Consider also that Harry Osborne in the films is a very different person than the comics version. In the comics his father disliked him for being a nebbishy wimp, which is how he came to be part of Peter Parker's social circle in the first place. The moment they announced the casting for this character it was obvious they were taking him in a completely different direction. It certainlt appears the entire heroin addiction (which contributed to Harry's psychotic break and assuming of the goblin identity) subplot will be out the window, too. Nor are they going to rehabilitate Flash Thompson and ship him off to Vietnam, unless time travel and a really persistent draft board becomes involved. (Anybody notice they seemed to shoplift the character and his exploits on Smallville?) In any case, Harry Osborne of the films is a different brand of crazy than the comic's Harry Osborn. That he would modify the weapons and armor his father created is not a great leap for producing a related but distinctly different villain in the Hobgoblin.

Of course, they could also pick up the old plot line of there being several possible Hobgoblins but that gets almost as complicated as bringing in Venom if we want to get Ned Leeds fully defined enough to matter.

This is one of the reasons it's good to limit the films to updated versions of the old school villains when the continuity was fairly simple.

No offense, but that's a huge leap. Hobgoblin is a fairly minor villain, and showed up relatively late in the comics. For Raimi (or whoever) to mangle things so the Hobgoblin appears...I have all ideas that would go over like a lead balloon.

The safe bet is on Lizard/Green Goblin II. I don't think the writers will be stupid enough to think a rehash of the first movie (as in, Spidey vs Green Goblin one-on-one again) will work.

I may just be imagining something, but I thought I read somewhere that there was talk about putting Lizard off for a bit, and bringing in Scorpion. And they could use the whole Jameson creates him to get Spider-Man/Parker angle cause it would make some sense. Peter stole his son's fiancee and Spider-Man we obviously see why Jameson would want to get him. I don't know. I personally would love to see Scorpion in it. It would be great just because it would surprise everyone who thought it was going to be Lizard and Green Goblin II. Have GGII and Scorpion be the villians.

No mention of Kraven the Hunter, or even Chameleon? I believe Chameleon was one of Spidey's first enemies.

Considering some of the liberties the writers have taken on the past 2 spidey movies, I think ruling out a Venom appearance is unwise. ESPECIALLY since there is such a demand from its movie fanbase. I for one don't want to see another GG. Viewers will feel like SM3 is just a rehash of SM1 if GG does come back. Venom is the most popular choice.

Plus, he's just bad ass!

bread's done
Back