Listen Up!!! Samsung BDP-1200 Blu-Ray Player $110 at Sears!!!

thextreme1

CAGiversary!
I am guessing your mileage will vary. I walked into Sears with the wife, not actually looking for a Blu-Ray player. For some reason, I decided to ask if any were on sale. The girl went to the register for a few minutes, came back and said that the Samsung BDP-1200 was $110. Of course, I did a double take and figured they were $110 off, so I asked her again and she said it was indeed $110. Needless to say I sprung right for it. Now this was the floor model, but it was mint and came with the remote and manual.

There is a review here: http://www.avrev.com/equip/samsung_bdp1200_bluray/index.html

Basically this was one of the best players on the market last year with Dolby Digital Plus(TrueHD) and true 1080p via HDMI. It also has an ethernet port for upgrades and has one of the fastest load times on the market.

Check the review for more. This player was originally $599. Hope someone else can find this great deal!

As a former owner of this product I would urge you not to do it. The support on this product is crap. The player was nice if you dont actually want to watch any new movies on it. I returned mine and just went for the PS3 since Sony actually supports their product. Samsung waited nearly 5 months to fix the crappy firmware that they put out. I know it is cheap, but not worth the hassle

[quote name='thextreme1']Well, either way it doesnt matter. This player is going to be around my house up until Pioneer releases a 200, 300 or 400 disc changer anyways. :) I have a dedicated home theater and everything is automated, except this player. So the second a changer hits the market, it will be mine. Hopefully Pioneer will include the ability to ping the internet this time for dvd covers and information, instead of manually having to type in the movie names and info. What a pain that is, especially when you have 300+ discs.[/QUOTE]

A fail to see how it "doesn't matter." While you are waiting for a disc changer you spend on 110 bucks on a player that doesn't work properly. What part of the player not functioning as it should "doesn't matter?"

I'm sorry but the American consumer needs to become a little bit more careful purchases i.e. not dumb.

[quote name='Gorge']A fail to see how it "doesn't matter." While you are waiting for a disc changer you spend on 110 bucks on a player that doesn't work properly. What part of the player not functioning as it should "doesn't matter?"

I'm sorry but the American consumer needs to become a little bit more careful purchases i.e. not dumb.[/QUOTE]

I am very cautious when it comes to purchasing electronic equipment, but realize that this player DOES play most blu-ray discs. People are working off of assumptions with this player. Read other AV related forums and realize that people have really only complained about 10 movies, tops, and most of them have been fixed with the newest firmware update(Feb.4, 2008). Does everything work perfect? No, but it does work.

We probably wont see a Blu-ray 400 disc changer from Pioneer until 2009. This player was a cheap way to ensure that I can still watch blu-ray movies in my dedicated theater up until that time. In your opinion, I shouldve gone out and spent $400 on a new player, while I was waiting for the Pioneer changer. Is it dumb to pay $100 for a blu-ray player when a good upconverting DVD player costs more?

You can have an elitist attitude, but in the long run I saved myself more money buying this player. I can still enjoy most blu-ray discs and dont have to spend a fortune because another player can play the other 10 that mine cant.

Now tell me truthfully, Is that really dumb? Or should I have spent 4x more on a player I am only going to use for a year or so?

Exactly. I've been reading the 134 page thread about this machine over on the AVS forum and while there are quite a few complaints, it doesn't seem as bad as its being portrayed. You have to remember that a bunch of these guys paid $750 bucks for this last april...of course they're vocally upset! They still said it was an absolute steal at under 100 bucks and one guy said it played 78 out of his 80 titles. That being said.....why the heck is Blu-ray winning??? I've had an hd-dvd player for a year now and had zero problems with it. All I keep reading is that Blu-ray doesn't have finalized specs and the machines they are selling are going to be next to worthless when it is. What kind of business model is that?

[quote name='agapens']Exactly. I've been reading the 134 page thread about this machine over on the AVS forum and while there are quite a few complaints, it doesn't seem as bad as its being portrayed. You have to remember that a bunch of these guys paid $750 bucks for this last april...of course they're vocally upset! They still said it was an absolute steal at under 100 bucks and one guy said it played 78 out of his 80 titles. That being said.....why the heck is Blu-ray winning??? I've had an hd-dvd player for a year now and had zero problems with it. All I keep reading is that Blu-ray doesn't have finalized specs and the machines they are selling are going to be next to worthless when it is. What kind of business model is that?[/QUOTE]

Agreed about HDDVD! The recent announcements that another few huge studios were dropping it, pushed me over the edge to realize that HDDVD is now the Betamax of the 2000's. It doesnt help that as of today, Netflix is dropping HDDVD. Bluray is in its infancy, but I think the extra space on the discs will ultimately help movie consumers in the end. Especially with Hi-def audio and video. That being said, there needs to be a board that regulates quality control to keep the picture and sound consistent across the board. Noone wants a bad transfer of a great movie. With high def audio now pretty much a standard with these players, why the hell are movies still releasing in 5.1 surround as opposed to 7.1?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/news/supportNewsAlertsList.do

Obviously, regardless of what happened before with Samsung, they are taking a renewed interest in updating the firmware. They are currently working on a fix for 3:10 To Yuma for those of you that it bothered. :) So, it seems that they are taking customer complaints about movies into consideration for future firmware upgrades. I imagine when there is finally a standard decided on, it will be the end of firmware upgrades for blu-ray players from all companies.

I see that Pioneer also releases firmware updates for movie titles, even in their Elite line. So, it isnt a problem with this one player, it seems to be a problem across the board for all companies until we can finally get a standard decided on.

I went by my two local Sears stores today. One of them didn't have the player but the other one did. However, the price wasn't what it is supposed to be. The price shows up as $320 when scanned.

If anyone could give me a picture / scan of their receipt so that I can price match it, I would greatly appreciate it.

[quote name='Neo Queen Serenity']I went by my two local Sears stores today. One of them didn't have the player but the other one did. However, the price wasn't what it is supposed to be. The price shows up as $320 when scanned.

If anyone could give me a picture / scan of their receipt so that I can price match it, I would greatly appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

If I can find my receipt here, I will definitely scan it for you so that you dont miss out on this great deal.

[quote name='thextreme1']If I can find my receipt here, I will definitely scan it for you so that you dont miss out on this great deal.[/quote]

Thank you. I hope you find it.

[quote name='Neo Queen Serenity']Thank you. I hope you find it.[/QUOTE]

I think it is in my wife's car, so when she gets home at 6pm, check back here and I will PM it to you.

Wait....the new firmware fixes most of the movies? From what I have read it doesn't "fix" anything really. It simply allows you to play an additional 4 or 5 titles (by skipping straight from the main menu via a bi pass). You STILL can't enjoy any of the additional features or advanced features of newer releases.

These releases include:

Lost, POTC3 (plays but additional content is unplayable), ghost rider (same as POTC3), The shining, Pixar Short films, etc etc

Again...stop trying to talk people into buying a piece of crap player. It isn't worth it. 200 more dollars and you have a great BD player (ps3). Completely upgradable and current.

-joseph

[quote name='POG']Again...stop trying to talk people into buying a piece of crap player. It isn't worth it. 200 more dollars and you have a great BD player (ps3). Completely upgradable and current.

-joseph[/QUOTE]

Since when is the PS3 $300... no luck for me. both sears i went to were out of stock. no floor models either.

For $100 i'll take this player, defective or not. I dont think these super special interactive features are worth anything anyway. I'll miss picture in picture commentary, but for $100, this will tide me over until Profile 1.1 or 2.0 players come down in price.

Since when, did we as a society, start pushing others to buy something that works less than 100% out of the box? I don't care if the thing plays 999 out of 1000 discs, it's broke. I'm not buying it based on the assumption that the problem(s) will be rectified.

I don't care if the thing plays 999 out of 1000 discs, it's broke
If that is your criteria for things, you're going to be disappointed a lot in life. No technology is perfect. Not to say that this player is anywhere near perfect, judging by these complaints, but please, let's not act that anything in this world works 100% of the time. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are suppose to be "backwards compatible." It is a selling point of these systems. And yet, not all games work. Are these systems broke, then?

I really cannot understand why so many people are determined to convince others, who are already set on buying this, blemishes and all, that they are dumb for doing so. Since when it is wrong to look for a steal by taking a risk? There are people in this world who buy PHYSICALLY BROKEN goods, figuring that, if they can fix it, they will get a steal. This is same principle. You're getting a $100 Blu-ray player. It will already play many titles. Maybe, one day, it will actually play the newer ones. If not, that's a chance you take.

I would think with the whole lawsuit thing it would've scared people off.

Oh well, I might've considered it if I wasn't getting a PS3 this next week.

Went to my local Sears today and after 10' searching, I only saw this BD player as the display model. I asked the employee how much it is and he said " $99.99" This price was good so I bought it but he could not find the remote so I asked him if he could give me a discount because this player didn't come with remote. After he talked with his manager, he said "ok, we give you $20 off for this player" Finally I got this player for only $79.99 + tax. Love Sears

[quote name='hiamiyumi']Went to my local Sears today and after 10' searching, I only saw this BD player as the display model. I asked the employee how much it is and he said " $99.99" This price was good so I bought it but he could not find the remote so I asked him if he could give me a discount because this player didn't come with remote. After he talked with his manager, he said "ok, we give you $20 off for this player" Finally I got this player for only $79.99 + tax. Love Sears[/quote]

Good Deal.
I like my stuff to match tho :/

[quote name='powercreep']Since when, did we as a society, start pushing others to buy something that works less than 100% out of the box? I don't care if the thing plays 999 out of 1000 discs, it's broke. I'm not buying it based on the assumption that the problem(s) will be rectified.[/QUOTE]

I say, waste your money then. Most of the people buying these are more than happy to take the risk because we plan on buying something else down the line and enjoy the fact that we can watch blu-ray without spending a fortune until the day comes that they rectify a final spec. If that means skipping a few movies, then so be it. And, here is the kicker, IF Samsung actually delivers the final spec via firmware... We have one of the best players made(picture-wise) for $100 and the last laugh will be on you.

People like you are the ones trying to do all of the convincing to people. I am extending a great deal on a great player, that may or may not suit all those who buy it, but for those thrifty shoppers who do... Enjoy it, no matter if others will try to convince you that you wont. Alot of people arent videophiles who need all of these extended features. I never watch them, in fact I can tell you the one time I did(and 1 time only, well multiple if you count the same movie) is Fast Times At Ridgemont High, where I watched the movie with commentary and then took the Ridgemont tour. That is only because I am an 80's junkie who loves a walk down memory lane.

You are presuming that ALL people need these extended features. Whereas most are happy when the movie plays, which most of them do. You also act as if ALL new movies will not work, which is simply not true. Many people are watching those new movies as we speak on this player and this is not the only player to have these problems. The Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player's firmware is also being updated periodically to play new movies, or old ones that dont play.

bread's done
Back