Listing your own games online, and IGN worth paying for?

imacheapasstoo

CAGiversary!
Hi all,

I searched the forums but didn't find this kind of info. I'm looking for online sites where I can store my list of games. I know ign.com has a site, but are there any others? I'd like to be able to use a site where my games have links to reviews and ratings, and where I can create a wish list. I just want to list them online so no matter which pc I'm at, I can always see what current games I have so I don't end up buying second copies (which I've done before).

Speaking of IGN, does anyone pay for an account there and is it worth $24.95 per year? Is there really content there that you can't get elsewhere for free?

TIA.

[quote name='imacheapasstoo']Speaking of IGN, does anyone pay for an account there and is it worth $24.95 per year? Is there really content there that you can't get elsewhere for free?[/quote]

No. They are basically charging you for editorials or reviews that they release early, and some movies. I don't think their opinion in the form of an editorial is worth more than two cents, and you can get reviews and their movies elswhere for free.

Also I find it incredible that you can't remember which games you have bought.

My brother bought a subscription. I think it is about to run out in April. Bottom Line: It sucks!

Of course that is my opinion.

www.guzzlefish.com

You can enter your games movies and cd's there. However their database is lacking so there's probably gonna be some games you have that you won't be able to list. But you can submit titles to be added to their db.

[quote name='Troopa']Maybe he has hundreds of games. It could be hard to remember them all.[/quote]

She, actually, and if I added up all of my console games and all of my pc games, then the total would probably be at least 300. It's not possible for my brain to track that many games.

Thanks for the info about IGN. You saved me $25.

Guzzlefish.com spewed out a "too many connections" error. I'll check it again tomorrow.

guzzlefish works now. Are the only platforms available for games ps2, xbox, gcn, and gba? And is your collection available for everyone to see?

yes the collections are available for everyone. I think, but am not positive, that all systems are there. The systems not directly listed are under

Games- All Other Systems

i use ign because they had everything in database (except pinball for intellivision...strange) and they have a wishlist. all the games link to reviews and features too. plus, everyweek they give away games that are on wishlists.

was just going through this old topic... but i had to know... have any CAG's actually won their ign wishlist recently?

I have a couple "rare" games at the top of my list. I wonder how they would be able to get these games if i won (e.g. suikoden 2)?!? heh heh

I believe you can use Gamerankings.com to list your games, havent done it in a while. Didn't think anyone wanted to see what games I had.

[quote name='mentos888']was just going through this old topic... but i had to know... have any CAG's actually won their ign wishlist recently?

I have a couple "rare" games at the top of my list. I wonder how they would be able to get these games if i won (e.g. suikoden 2)?!? heh heh[/QUOTE]

I have done that contest since it started and never won. The odds seem really bad (was better when it was daily rather than weekly). What they do is if they can't get a game in your list, they just go down to the next game. They would probably skip over Suikoden 2 and just choose the next game. That's why I had about 10 games in my list just incase (which reminds me, I should probably update mine as I haven't in a while and I probably have old under $20 value games on it)

I have a subscription to IGN, I enjoy it when I want to see movies at a normal viewing size. The database is good for older games and newer ones. Another one you might want to check out too is Digitpress.com, they have an online database also so you can keep track of your games that way. The one thing that erks me about Digitalpress is that they have random down time. So if you want to go there and its down, it might be down for 2 hours to a week.

I have IGN insider and the only thing I use it for is the boards. I don't really check out most of the other stuff.

There is an open source databasing project that I've been trying to get to work. It's called Open Media Lending Database. You can catalog games, movies, music, and books. It's still in beta and isn't the easiest thing to install, atleast for me. You need to install Apache web server, PHP, and MySQL. It's web based so you can make it so you can login from anywhere.It's supposed to retrieve data from amazon and a few other places. He's also been doing some work on barcode scanning with a cuecat. I'll let you guys know if I ever get it working.

[quote name='JEKKI']1up.com !!!!!

I used it!!

it's good![/QUOTE]

From my experience 1up.com didnt have a lot of older games listed. It seemed like it only catered to the newer stuff.

some of the guides are decent at ign insider. gamefaqs is always solid but ign has screenshots + html format which is much easier to navigate than a big ol txt file.

bread's done
Back