little help on the whole backwards compatability issue with the 360

videogamejunkie

CAGiversary!
OK, so the 360 is 100% backwards compatable with all xbox games just like the ps2 was for the ps1 games? I read something about not all games being compatable and something else about it being an emulation...just a little confused.

[quote name='videogamejunkie']any links to articles that explain it more clearly? Do you actually put the old disk in? so not like the ps2.[/QUOTE]

There are no authoritative details out beyond Microsoft executives saying existing retail software would work. Any other approach would simply be useless. The idea that some idiots presented of having to repurchase games in 360 versions would be immediately rejected and cause a huge negative backlash.

Other comments in the same interview (search Joystiq.com archive for the full text) indicated that the emulation was a work in progress. Each major game that is made to work properly also covers numerous other games using the same techniques. Since the most popular Xbox titles are often also the most difficult in terms of using techniques that bypass the APIs and going direct to the silicon, starting with those holds the promise of satisfying the most customers quickly while covering many more games without direct attention on those beyond playtesting.

[quote name='videogamejunkie']OK, so the 360 is 100% backwards compatable with all xbox games just like the ps2 was for the ps1 games? I read something about not all games being compatable and something else about it being an emulation...just a little confused.[/QUOTE]

It will be like PS2 is for PS1 for the end user (you). For Microsoft it is much more complicated, and some less popular titles may not work at XBOX360 launch, but MS is going to deliver updates through XBOX Live to make all games work over time. You use your original game discs, yes.

[quote name='epobirs']. The idea that some idiots presented of having to repurchase games in 360 versions would be immediately rejected and cause a huge negative backlash.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its not like Nintendo has been doing that for 20 years....

[quote name='CTLesq']Yeah its not like Nintendo has been doing that for 20 years....[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is that not only do they get away with it, people rebuy the games in droves and continue to make Nintendo a profitable company.

[quote name='Snowcone']The funny thing is that not only do they get away with it, people rebuy the games in droves and continue to make Nintendo a profitable company.[/QUOTE]

... but there is value in being able to play the game on a new format... maybe not full price like Nintendo often asks but there's definitely some added value there...

[quote name='Ruined']It will be like PS2 is for PS1 for the end user (you). For Microsoft it is much more complicated, and some less popular titles may not work at XBOX360 launch, but MS is going to deliver updates through XBOX Live to make all games work over time. You use your original game discs, yes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah..but what about the 90 percent of xbox owners who don't have Live? I can see this evolving into an xbox live ploy like alot of other "updates" and such that are only available though Live. Do you really think they are going to be handing out discs with the updates on them? I don't know man I don't really see that happening.

[quote name='Chrono81']Yeah..but what about the 90 percent of xbox owners who don't have Live? I can see this evolving into an xbox live ploy like alot of other "updates" and such that are only available though Live. Do you really think they are going to be handing out discs with the updates on them? I don't know man I don't really see that happening.[/QUOTE]

I think you're forgetting that there will be a free version of live for the 360.

[quote name='greendc27']I think you're forgetting that there will be a free version of live for the 360.[/QUOTE]

The sliver deal? I thought about that, and for me that would be fine. But there are alot of people who don't have bb internet. Are they going to be able to get to the updates on a 56k modem? And what about the people who don't have internet access? Really, the only way to do it right would be to distribute free discs with the updates on them and on Live. I can't see them going to the trouble to release a new disc everytime they get the emulation software for a few new games ready.

[quote name='Chrono81']Yeah..but what about the 90 percent of xbox owners who don't have Live? I can see this evolving into an xbox live ploy like alot of other "updates" and such that are only available though Live. Do you really think they are going to be handing out discs with the updates on them? I don't know man I don't really see that happening.[/QUOTE]

MS has stated that they will also offer another delivery method via discs for the updates in addition to Live (they could stick updates on Exhibition discs, for example, and in addition to that on new Microsoft games).

[quote name='Ruined']MS has stated that they will also offer another delivery method via discs for the updates in addition to Live (they could stick updates on Exhibition discs, for example, and in addition to that on new Microsoft games).[/QUOTE]

Really? I haven't read that. I guess mabye they are willing to do whatever it takes, that would be excellent.

[quote name='Chrono81']Really? I haven't read that. I guess mabye they are willing to do whatever it takes, that would be excellent.[/QUOTE]

Balmer stated it in a post-e3 interview, one of the CAG BC threads has the link. And yeh, it seems they are really committed to getting full BC, tho full BC might not be ready for launch, it likely will be in time.

MS is looking to win this round by doing everything right. Their problems last round were due to too big of a console that made too much noise, too big of a controller (at US launch), not enough Japanese games, and hardware that cost too much to manufacture. X360 fixes all these problems - a smaller, quieter, more aesthetically pleasing console, the best controller of the next gen systems (I really can't see anything topping it, its like the SNES controller of 3D controllers), Square Enix and exclusive Mistwalker support at launch, and hardware that is cheaper than PS3's to make but produces similar final output. While they might not win, they sure are doing everything right, and they are trying to do BC right as well (while not lieing or exaggerating to the consumer like Sony has in the past).

From all that I have read, there is no definitive answer on the full story of backwards compatablity. The comments made regarding online updates to an Xbox emulator on the 360 to make it more compatable has not been officially stated by Microsoft, although they did hint that they would strive for 100% compatability.

We will just have to wait a little bit longer for the official answer.

BTW... the current issue of EGM states that the Xbox 360 isn't backwards compatable at all (When the editors previewd the console months ago). This just goes to show you that this issue is highly fluid.
As far as I'm concerned the new machine shouldn't contain the name "Xbox" if there is no compatability with the previous generation.

Does anyone have a link to any of this info? I've seen so many theories, but never any info straight from Microsoft. I think the last thing I saw was the guy heading this project saying it would be difficult, but he was trying his best. That was it.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Does anyone have a link to any of this info? I've seen so many theories, but never any info straight from Microsoft. I think the last thing I saw was the guy heading this project saying it would be difficult, but he was trying his best. That was it.[/QUOTE]

http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52011

this thread has plenty of links, read through the later pages to see the more clear ones.

[quote name='xboxundone']IF 360 isn't backwards compatible then MS is committing suicide.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the only thing keeping for buying one. I already have four consoles hooked-up to my T.V., and my living room is looking over-crowded. Revolution can replace my GCN, PS3 can replace my PS2, but the Xbox 360 will add to the insane amount of wires, and plugs, and floorspace. BC is huge selling point for me, and until Xbox 360 has it, I'm not buying one.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Link?[/QUOTE]

..it was said during the conference, not an interview or anything.. they said it would be 100% backwards compatible, but to my recollection, they did NOT say anything about it being 100% BC on launch day.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']A bit of confirmation:

NVIDIA tech licensed for Xbox 360 backward compatibility[/QUOTE]

This will speed things up a lot compared to doing a black box for the entirety of the XGPU and XMCP. As I said many times before, Nvidia knows there is ample legal precedent for a black box emulation and they'd go for whatever money Microsoft offered rather than an expensive and unwinnable legal battle. This way, they get a little tiny payoff for every Xbox 360 regardless of whether it is ever use to play Xbox software.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']A bit of confirmation:

NVIDIA tech licensed for Xbox 360 backward compatibility[/QUOTE]

Hm, that's a noteworthy step in the right direction. This is sort of the sticking point for me. I'm not concerned about the PS3 being supposedly more powerful, and I'm not concerned about the 360 "only" using DVDs compared to Blu-Ray. As long as there is backwards compatibility, the games will probably compel me to buy a 360 instead of a PS3.

Even if it's backwards compatible you still have all your old saves on the original and can't transfer them. The memory cards aren't compatible, there's no mention of a crossover/link cable to dump your old Xbox HD onto the 360. Even though you still need PSone memory cards for the PS2 to save PSone games you can archive them on the 8MB and there's an easy solution.

Don't start giving me the workarounds like linking your Xbox to your PC, using AR or anything like that. No average user does that.

Is it really 90 % . I think that number has lessened..one of the key points for owning an xbox is xbox live...

without it your really not enjoying xbox to its fullest potential

edit- read article..guess it is 90%

bread's done
Back