Little help with a model

Tromack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Statistical model that is.

I'm trying to come up with a statistical model to explain the number car crashes per state(both with alcohol present and without).
The factors I am including are:
alcohol tax
highway expenditure per state
geography (i.e. north vs. south and east vs. midwest/greatplains vs. west)
illegal bac level for the state
days that license is revoked for dui
if the state has a law that requires an interlock device to be placed on a dui car
if the state has a law that requires the forfeiture of a dui car
unemployment rate for the state

I'm also thinking of including the membership levels in MADD per state and highschool graduation levels per state.

Anyone have any other ideas for variables?

driver's license age, median age of state's population, whether the state has a city called Detroit in it.

[quote name='DenisDFat']driver's license age, median age of state's population, whether the state has a city called Detroit in it.[/QUOTE]

Isn't driver's license age 16 across the board? I mean I know most have it a few months off, but isn't it essentially anywhere from 16-16.5?

[quote name='Tromack']Isn't driver's license age 16 across the board? I mean I know most have it a few months off, but isn't it essentially anywhere from 16-16.5?[/QUOTE]

Jersey you have to have a "learner's permit" for a year (16 is earliest age you can recieve it) before you can get a driver's license. I don't know how it works in other states, but the "learner's permit" there you can't drive anywhere without an adult 21 or older with a license of 3 years.

EDIT: You probably could factor in median age in the state. I think statistically more accidents occur in teenage drivers than any other age group.

Oh, I'm also looking at the natural log of the two dependant variables (crashes) so that the independent variables will give percentage change.

[quote name='DenisDFat']driver's license age, median age of state's population, whether the state has a city called Detroit in it.[/QUOTE]

Damn, now what you got against detroit, just cause we have lots of car crashes, you see at least one person get shot every night doesn't mean we lost our gangsta slap, every night, thats all that needs to be said

Drivers License ages do vary some. Some western states (like my native Idaho) have the age set at 15.

Geography kind of covers it, but one factor that is important but probably difficult to quantify is weather. Average annual precipitation may be something to include that gives a decent measure of this.

[quote name='SatchmoKhan']Drivers License ages do vary some. Some western states (like my native Idaho) have the age set at 15.

Geography kind of covers it, but one factor that is important but probably difficult to quantify is weather. Average annual precipitation may be something to include that gives a decent measure of this.[/QUOTE]

I know when I was in junior high a state gave learners permits at 14, think it was michigan or minnesota, though it may have changed by now. In MA you can get a permit at 16, license at 16 1/2, but there are certain restrictions until you are 18 (I think it's can't drive after 12, or before 5 a.m. without an adult over 21). All I know is I was always breaking the curfew.

I used to have a few friends from new hampshire, I think you can get both a learners permit and a license at 16 there, though not exactly sure.

bread's done
Back