Live DoTW Deadliest Warrior | READ OP FOR MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hesitant for some reason on Super Meat Boy. Can anyone convince me to buy it? I'm afraid I'll play it for a day or two then never touch it again, I do that sometimes with XBLA games :(

Totally in for 'vania though. Anyone know what time it goes on sale? I know Lara Croft went live at 6 last night.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I am hesitant for some reason on Super Meat Boy. Can anyone convince me to buy it? I'm afraid I'll play it for a day or two then never touch it again, I do that sometimes with XBLA games :(

Totally in for 'vania though. Anyone know what time it goes on sale? I know Lara Croft went live at 6 last night.[/QUOTE]
It's apparantly live right now. Just checked the xbox website.

I noticed there's a map pack avail as well might have to snag that too. Individual character for $3 each? overpriced much? I might be a sucker for Richter though.

I bought SMB being on sale on release and honestly I never been more addicted to any xbla game before. At 7k deaths and 98% complete I am still trying to beat it (and swearing up a storm) lol. When you beat a level though you really do have a "YES!!" moment. It's great.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I am hesitant for some reason on Super Meat Boy. Can anyone convince me to buy it? I'm afraid I'll play it for a day or two then never touch it again, I do that sometimes with XBLA games :(

Totally in for 'vania though. Anyone know what time it goes on sale? I know Lara Croft went live at 6 last night.[/QUOTE]

Didn't try the SMB demo, just bought it. The demo is only 200 MB or something if you want to try it.

SMB seems like it can sink its claws into you pretty easy from the get go. Its challenging but you feel like your character is fast enough and jumps high enough to avoid a lot of the things. And its a long game. I played it exclusively for a week back when it came out and only got about 3/4 done. I only stopped due to index fingers hurting from keeping them held down on the triggers.

Castlevania is showing up as 1200 on the "unlock game" part. Is it 600 on xbox.com? And anyone know if it actually steals 1200 from you instead of 600 like some other pricing mistakes?

[quote name='Chrono Gear']It's apparantly live right now. Just checked the xbox website.

I noticed there's a map pack avail as well might have to snag that too. Individual character for $3 each? overpriced much? I might be a sucker for Richter though.[/QUOTE]

Theres 6 regular chapters. The 7th chapter is a really long chapter too. Thats why its $5 or something. And if you actually use the characters some are good but just depends if you want to take that leap. But if they were $1 a character sure.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I am hesitant for some reason on Super Meat Boy. Can anyone convince me to buy it? I'm afraid I'll play it for a day or two then never touch it again, I do that sometimes with XBLA games :(.[/QUOTE]

It really depends on how well you respond to being challenged. I just got the demo because of all the hype the game has been getting and while I understand its appeal, it's just not my kind of game. I replayed a single level in the friggin' demo for almost a half hour just to get the timing right on my jumps. This game requires precise jumping and aiming of your character. But when you finally do it get right, boy do you feel like a million bucks. Of course though, if you are someone that'll get frustrated with having to try a single level 100 times, chances are this is going to be a waste of money to you. That's why I never bothered to buy it.

i just got the lara croft game, anyone wanna play coop add me, i usually play between 6pm and 9pm eastern time, gamertag same as name in here, dEvAnGeL

Picked up Lara Croft and I'm seriously debating grabbing the Kain and Raziel pack as well. I never buy skin packs, or any type of DLC that generally doesn't really add to the playability or achievements to the game but if that pack is fully voiced like the other, it just seems so worth it being a huge Soul Reaver fun. Anybody pick up the pack and try it out yet?

I'm also not to sure on Castlevania. I don't mind going through each map over and over again (I do it all the time on L4D2) and picking up new loot and advancing your character sounds like I'd really dig it but being a highly cooperative game, I feel like I won't have much fun unless I'm playing with friends or people I know. Anybody know how the online community is?

Was there a hint for a Lara Croft: GoL sale on the PSN also? I kind of want to get that version instead because I have extra controller for the PS3. Do they perform similarly?

[quote name='mr_bungle']I am hesitant for some reason on Super Meat Boy. Can anyone convince me to buy it? I'm afraid I'll play it for a day or two then never touch it again, I do that sometimes with XBLA games.[/QUOTE]

I don't enjoy playing New Super Mario Bros Wii because it's frustrating.
Mega Man 9/10 is nothing but cheap deaths.
I absolutely love Super Meat Boy because it is challenging but fair.
It took about a week to beat the game, but I am only at 60% and 8,000 deaths.
I may well be playing Super Meat Boy till I die of old age.
Here is the box art.

picture.php

[quote name='miriamleo']Was there a hint for a Lara Croft: GoL sale on the PSN also? I kind of want to get that version instead because I have extra controller for the PS3. Do they perform similarly?[/QUOTE]

Not to be rude, but I don't see why Xbox marketing would drop a clue for a PSN sale. I haven't seen any info from Square/Eidos if that's what you meant

Here's a PSN sale thread http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282294 if that helps

[quote name='reddjoey']Castlevania online has a community. It took me a few tries to get into a game the last time I played.[/QUOTE]
I found some guy whos just soloing the level while I run around and get nowhere. I think he's a hacker-he's got a knight and his character info is ????

Whatever we're having fun and that's what counts.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I found some guy whos just soloing the level while I run around and get nowhere. I think he's a hacker-he's got a knight and his character info is ????

Whatever we're having fun and that's what counts.[/QUOTE]

He has a DLC character and is likely a higher level so he is just farming or leveling.

Adjusted the OP predictions going down the list (as I assume Xbox360achievements did) since that appears the way the sales is going. I still think the Fable 3 DLC makes more sense than Sonic on the clue, but I guess we will have to wait and see

[quote name='reddjoey']He has a DLC character and is likely a higher level so he is just farming or leveling.[/QUOTE]
I see. He just moves kinda strangely so I thought it might be fishy. Works for me we're blazing through the game.

Castlevanias going to be a slow grind to the top it looks like. Using Charlotte and mastering spells like Fireball and whatnot but jeez it takes a while to get some stuff.

Looks like I'm going to get the Writer during this sale as well as I ordered Alan Wake and it will be here sometime this week.

Want to pick up Limbo but I'm hesitant as I've pretty much seen the whole game played through. And it seems more artsy fartsy than good to me.

[quote name='reddjoey']He has a DLC character and is likely a higher level so he is just farming or leveling.

Adjusted the OP predictions going down the list (as I assume Xbox360achievements did) since that appears the way the sales is going. I still think the Fable 3 DLC makes more sense than Sonic on the clue, but I guess we will have to wait and see[/QUOTE]

which is what I had posted previously. also, sega is said to have an end of the year sale as well for all the sonic games so i'm waiting it out for sonic adventures. Picked up castlevania hd and no online matches, guess i'll try later tonight again. by the way, supposedly you can unlock Raskulls as well from within ilomilo so if you'd rather go that route, go for it.

[quote name='chickenbutt']Is Castlevania like the others? Should I get it if I've only played a bit of the Castlevania game for DS with the girl and sort of liked it?[/QUOTE]
It's essentially the same style but in a multiplayer style. If you didn't like the DS game I would probably skip this.

[quote name='intoxicated662']which is what I had posted previously. [/QUOTE]

Like I said then, I didn't see the logic they used to make the guesses and didn't want to have people complain they were misled. After today, I can see they went down the list, which is what it appears MS is doing. It's not personal or me trying to be a dick or holier than thou, I just don't want to see people complain because I jumped to a conclusion or put up bad info; like when I had Doom II listed as coming soon for 6 months. :D

On a side note, glad to see my thread made it's way over to SD. At least the "OP" there gave credit to me. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the zombie mask (listed under the 29th) is no longer free. It's showing a price of 160MSP from the link in the OP. Missed it, again. Ah well, I probably wouldn't use it anyways.

Want to get Carcassonne, Lara Croft, After Burner, and Castle Crasher…
Don't want to get them all, which one or two to take off the list or which could drop even lower?

Wow, I just checked it an hour ago and it was still free. Oh well, hopefully it will be free again so those who missed it can get it

[quote name='miriamleo']Want to get Carcassonne, Lara Croft, After Burner, and Castle Crasher…
Don't want to get them all, which one or two to take off the list or which could drop even lower?[/QUOTE]

Carcassonne (free briefly, but I think this is the first time it has been on sale) I don't have an opinion on it.

Lara Croft (1st time on sale) is fun for 2-player co-op or single play. It's good game, and better now that it has been patched. Same type of puzzle as the franchise. If you like TR, pick it up. I'd hurry since the sale is set to end in a few hours.

After Burner (been on sale before) is a quick run-and-gun like the old arcade game. The more you play the more "cheats" you unlock and the better you can score to unlock more cheats and content. You can almost 100% in about an hour.

Castle Crashers (been in several sales) is a RPG-lite/beat em' up that is fun for couch co-op (or online parties). More people obviously = more fun. There is some nice comedy in there and a good game,

[quote name='miriamleo']Want to get Carcassonne, Lara Croft, After Burner, and Castle Crasher…
Don't want to get them all, which one or two to take off the list or which could drop even lower?[/QUOTE]

id keep lara croft and castle crashers-but i think lara croft is only on sale today so id pick that up right quick

If you have someone to play Castle Crashers with, I'd say go for that. Honestly, I didn't just love that game though. I played it and beat it, but as far as the beat 'em ups go, I enjoyed TMNT arcade, Scott Pilgrim, and definitely X-Men a great amount more.

Thanks as always Reddjoey for all of your hard work on this. I know I appreciate it (but my wallet doesn't!).

In for Robot Revolution. Was disappointed that I missed the free 2011 glasses when I saw it crossed off the day 1 list...but upon following the link just to check them out, found that it was still free on my end. No secret price jacking or anything. So any of you guys that thought you missed it, snag it while you can. Remember, free > anything else, that's the CAG way.

[quote name='Bargain Hunter Bob']Thanks as always Reddjoey for all of your hard work on this. I know I appreciate it (but my wallet doesn't!).

In for Robot Revolution. Was disappointed that I missed the free 2011 glasses when I saw it crossed off the day 1 list...but upon following the link just to check them out, found that it was still free on my end. No secret price jacking or anything. So any of you guys that thought you missed it, snag it while you can. Remember, free > anything else, that's the CAG way.[/QUOTE]

You are welcome.

I'll adjust the OP to note the glasses are still free

Thanks guys for the opinions. I downloaded Lara Croft, will pick up the others later. There will be a lot more sale in the coming days.

I know that the Alan Wake DLC is said to be on sale the 24th. should i get the writer dlc now even though I don't have Alan Wake yet?

Snagged Castlevania HD, my first and perhaps only from the one-day sales. Considering Castle Crashers too since 600 points seems like a great deal. Glad these go live numerous hours before 'switch over' in case I forget.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Gah! You had me until Japan only! I loved Virtual-On but not that much.[/QUOTE]

I've been tempted to get it but, I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of making a JPN XBL account just to get it. I rather just buy Virtual On Force that just came out since there's no region lock on it.

I don't know why but I can't seem to pull the trigger on Lara Croft. It looks fun but I gues maybe the price just isn't low enough. Maybe I should wait for it to go to 400 points sometime in the future.

As much as I love Symphony of the night I just cant get into the trial of castlevania hd. It just seems like the biggest grindfest which is the last thing I need with my backlog.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']As much as I love Symphony of the night I just cant get into the trial of castlevania hd. It just seems like the biggest grindfest which is the last thing I need with my backlog.[/QUOTE]

You nailed it. It's really for Super-fans. It's really fun if you can get a whole group together to play it, but I think the same could be said for any game.

[quote name='reddjoey']You nailed it. It's really for Super-fans. It's really fun if you can get a whole group together to play it, but I think the same could be said for any game.[/QUOTE]

Not true. Nobody will have fun playing Deca Sports and it won't matter how big the group is.

Genuinely amazed at how many people still don't own Castle Crashers. It is one of the best 2D beat em up platformer's I've seen with far more depth than I think many people who have only turned it on to play with other people a couple of times realize. (And it looks great too!) Tons of fun and you can easily get many solid hours out of it before you even get other people in to play with you. (and it is just easy enough to plow through the levels, that my 7 year old nephew and 10 year old niece are able to play it, well enough, that it's fun to play with them. Quite literally the only game I enjoy playing with them, although once they are able to play more than "eye of the tiger" in Rock Band I hope to play that with them too) If you even remotely liked platforming on the Super Nintendo, really can't recommend this game enough.

On another topic, what in the hell is UnderGarden? I tried it, and I'm just like... wtf? I had some fun nights in college that made more sense than that game does.

[quote name='Kaltic']Not true. Nobody will have fun playing Deca Sports and it won't matter how big the group is.[/QUOTE]

Touche

Changed the OP, but the movie sale price is questionable b/c Zune.net still lists 1600 and 1360. Left my 360 at the office so I can't check the dash. Put in the hint for tomorrow from Major Nelson. The 12/22 sale is still active for now, so if you are on the fence you should act now. Off to bed, see you guys around noon EST

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back