Live in-game chat...always broken?

Kerig

Target won BF'23 w/$350 consoles
Feedback
85 (100%)
I started playing Campaign mode on Left 4 Dead (1) today, and of the 6 or so games that I played of just the 1st campaign (I still have yet to complete/survive it), there were maybe 3 people total that I could actually hear on the headset.

I don't mind it too much, but without communication I feel like I'm missing out on 1/2 of the interaction that a game like L4D can give.

Are most in-game chats going to comprise of static nothing and/or french-speaking players, or did I just have a bad 1st day? I have an official XBox headset and the Plantronics black/green headset (I've used both as a cellphone headset, and have been told the Plantronics sounds much better).

Also, I'm really interested in actually playing campaign with some other CAGs, feel free to add me to your XBL stuff: CAG Kerig (I had one guy call me "See Ay Gee" today, and now regret the format of my tag :)

It is possible that your NAT settings are restricting you from hearing people. Alternatively, you could just rely on XBOX live parties for chat, since that is by far the most reliable, but in games like Halo 3 the in game chat is just as good.

Maybe they were just not talking? Majority of people wont talk if they are playing by themselves. Also, if you play in the morning/mid-day the majority of people will be foreign.

The one time I've played a game online with strangers (GTA IV) I didn't say a word, had no desire to say anything, and would rather not have heard others say anything. Guess I'm a bad citizen. :) With games that are friends-only it's a different thing. Guess I just don't see the appeal of talking with people I don't know. Point is that I doubt I'm alone. Maybe the others just weren't talking.

[quote name='crunchewy']The one time I've played a game online with strangers (GTA IV) I didn't say a word, had no desire to say anything, and would rather not have heard others say anything. Guess I'm a bad citizen. :) With games that are friends-only it's a different thing. Guess I just don't see the appeal of talking with people I don't know. Point is that I doubt I'm alone. Maybe the others just weren't talking.[/QUOTE]

If you play a team game and don't talk then it really takes away from the game experience as a whole (for you, and others).

GTA4 is really one of those games where it's an exception though, unless you're doing co-op missions online or team modes that require some form of communication. But, the majority who still play GTA4 are pretty much 12 year old kids that try to kill you in free mode all the time.

yeah, i never talk to randoms, its just way to annoying. Headsets are for friends. Not allowing parties in team death match in COD just forces me to mute everyone.

That sheds some light on things, thanks. I have no problems connecting and playing, but some people seem like they're trying to talk and all I hear is static.

Now if only there was an easy way to see gender so I know if I'm talking to a girl or a 13-year-old boy...I was genuinely stumped today...

Usually my buddies have fun with the trash-talking 13-year old boys that sound like girls. The results are normally absolutely hilarious.

[quote name='Ronin317']...what difference does the gender make?[/QUOTE]

...says the pedophile :)

The biggest difference isn't necessarily the gender, but knowing if I'm dealing with a prepubescent pottymouth or not.

Overall, I've had pretty good experiences so far in my short XBL life. The exception being one lonely kid repeatedly saying "will you be my friend?" while having bad echo the entire time he was chanting his pathetic mantra.

bread's done
Back