Logitech developing Harmony remote to PS3 adapter!

lolwaut

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://blog.logitech.com/2009/03/...y-control/

Caught! We’re Going to Provide You with Logitech Harmony PS3 Blu-ray Control

By Troy Petersen // Global Product Marketing Manager, Gaming on March 20, 2009 | 26 Comments

Filed: Product, Remotes

Hello, I’m Troy Petersen. I’m a product marketing manager for gaming products, based in Logitech’s Fremont, Calif. office. I’m a huge sports nut and former sports journalist, and love playing golf (badly) and softball — though my new “hobby” of being a dad is my most rewarding activity. I’ve been with Logitech for more than six years and involved in tech for a decade.

I love my PLAYSTATION®3, especially the fantastic HD experience when watching Blu-ray movies. I’m also a huge fan of our Harmony remotes.

Yesterday, an Engadget reporter did some digging on an FCC Web site and uncovered our plans to manufacture an adapter that allows our Harmony remotes to control the PS3. We can’t give you all the details just yet, but we can say that this adapter will, when used with any Harmony remote, give you complete control of your movie-watching experience on PS3. It will also turn the PS3 on and off – and allow you to set up your Harmony activities to include the PS3 just as you would any other device. You also won’t need to dedicate any of your valuable USB ports to get that control.

We’ll have more information very soon, including pricing and availability. We hope you can wait just a little bit longer!

all i have to say is YAY! i know some of you are going to say "it's not a big deal to walk up to my ps3 and turn it on, as i have to put the disc in anyway." well, it IS a big deal to some of us. the fact that the harmony series is incompatible with the ps3 is the sole reason i havent bought one of logitech's highly rated high-end universal remotes.

not being able to turn on/off the ps3 is a big deal when the goal of a universal remote is to be... ummm... universal. i want to be able to turn on my ps3, receiver and tv at the same time, with the push of a single button. IMO, theres no sense in investing in a universal remote when it doesnt work natively with my ps3, as my ps3 is the component of my HT setup which gets the most use (if my tv is on, my ps3 is too).

FINALLY, someone stepped up to the plate. now, let's just hope they price is reasonably. 40 bucks is probably the absolute max. i would spend on this device.

Doesnt the Nyko Blu Wave remote's USB dongle make the remote compatible as well? Or does it not allow the system to be turned on/off.

[quote name='Snake2715']Doesnt the Nyko Blu Wave remote's USB dongle make the remote compatible as well? Or does it not allow the system to be turned on/off.[/quote]

that's correct. you cannot turn the system on/off with the nyko workaround.

Good job dear its really help full to me as a newmember in this
forum..
signature_deepthakur.jpg
..:)

[quote name='cochesecochese']Pretty fucking awesome. It will be nice if I can get this bundled with a remote.[/quote]

yes sir... that's what im hoping for as well

[quote name='lolwaut']that's correct. you cannot turn the system on/off with the nyko workaround.[/QUOTE]

That's not fully true. You cannot turn it off by pushing a button, but you can use the pad to turn off the system off via XMB.

[quote name='js1']That's not fully true. You cannot turn it off by pushing a button, but you can use the pad to turn off the system off via XMB.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but they you have to grab your controller, hit home and turn it off instead of just hitting "power off" and the remote turning everything off. I';ve learned to live with it, but I will definitely be purchasing this adaptor when it comes out.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Hmm... well this is worthless since I already have the cheap official one. Thanks for trying though.[/quote]
Yeah, you're right. There's no on else in the market who could possibly want to buy this so Logitech may as well just hang it up and shutter the company while they're at it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Hmm... well this is worthless since I already have the cheap official one. Thanks for trying though.[/quote]

hmmm... i think everyone already has the "cheap official one".... the point of is to NOT need the "cheap official one" anymore. two remotes is one too many. thanks for trying though.

my biggest beef with the Nyko adapter is that for some reason it would automatically take up controller slot 1, and I'd have to manually change my dual shock over to 1 if I wanted to play a game. I eventually just took the damn thing out of my PS3 and I just plug it in when I want to watch a movie now.

[quote name='SpeedyG']Plus the nyko workaround is... spotty sometimes[/QUOTE]

Mine never worked right. I could get maybe the up and down buttons to work and the x and o buttons but that was all. Very frustrating. I eventually gave up, sold the Nyko on ebay, and just bought an official Sony remote. I would love for this adapter to come out at a cheap price so I can use my Harmony 880 with it.

bread's done
Back