logitech wireless network extender 18.49 @ frys.com

Has worked well for me. I bought it when it first came out and I still have it hooked up to the 360. I can't speak to its range though, I have the extender and wireless router in the same room as the console.

This is a two piece system. One piece hooks into the router and broadcasts a signal and the other piece to the system to receive the signal. So a bit different than the first party receiver. I have heard some people had a bad time setting it up, but for me it was just plug (2x) and play.

[quote name='seanr1221']How well will this work with the 360? My friend has been looking for a cheap wireless alternative to the MS made one.[/QUOTE]
I have mine hook up in another room from the the router and its works pretty well . There really is no lag whatsoever. Bought mine two weeks ago for a lot more but its totally worth it.

Question!

I piggyback off my neighbors wireless connection. Does this just plug in at my house, pick up their wifi, and extend the range so it will work better? Or do I need to have a wired connection with their router?

According to the product information it says one is plugged into the router or modem. I believe you'd have to break into your neighbors house and stealthily plug it in for it to pickup any network. The extend does literally mean it extends the range of the network. It just allows you to connect peripherals wirelessly, hence the extend part as far as I know.

Interesting math.

Fast Data Rate
# The 1.5 Mbps data rate eliminates the bottlenecks associated with slower 54 Mbps or 11 Mbps wireless networking standards, helping to reduce lag when playing online games on broadband connections.

i read a review that said it was bad for downloading large files over XBL... does anyone know what kind of speed this thing gets when downloading over the marketplace?

[quote name='H-Town Info']i think it uses RF technology instead of 802.11x protocols[/QUOTE]
RF is an acronym for "radio frequency". But yes, it uses its own proprietary protocol. These come up fairly often on deal sites, with mediocre reviews. I wouldn't buy this unless it was the only way to get my 360 online. I would say it's better than nothing, but that's all.

I don't get it. This is what it says on the page:

The 1.5 Mbps data rate eliminates the bottlenecks associated with slower 54 Mbps or 11 Mbps wireless networking standards, helping to reduce lag when playing online games on broadband connections.

When is 54 ever slower than 1.5???

[quote name='djkunai']Question!

I piggyback off my neighbors wireless connection. Does this just plug in at my house, pick up their wifi, and extend the range so it will work better? Or do I need to have a wired connection with their router?[/QUOTE]

I say you do what most people do and get your own connection :)

Had to pick one up for myself, with a new TV purchase, I see myself moving the 360 around alot more, and would remove the unsightly blue ethernet cord I have running to it

[quote name='Santurio']do you need a power source for these or do they just plug into the system?[/QUOTE]

these require a power source at each end: the unit plugged into the console and the unit plugged into the router/modem.

it's either this or the linksys WGA11B wireless gaming adapter... wut do u guys think? i wanna be able to get my sexbox 3sexy online when i buy one =)

I'm thinking of buyin this. So do I need a wireless or wired router to work with this? Someone said you plug it into a wired router and then that piece creates a signal that goes to the other piece connected to your 360. Is this true?

[quote name='angrysalad187']i read a review that said it was bad for downloading large files over XBL... does anyone know what kind of speed this thing gets when downloading over the marketplace?[/QUOTE]

indeed... downloading things is painfully slow. something to do with the RF technology? i have no idea. playing games is perfect though, so if that's all you want to do and/or you're really patient, this thing is the right price.

[quote name='TypeSH']indeed... downloading things is painfully slow. something to do with the RF technology? i have no idea. playing games is perfect though, so if that's all you want to do and/or you're really patient, this thing is the right price.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's listed as 1.5Mbps. Even if it can max that out it's still painfully slow if you have cable. XBLA games wouldn't be bad, they're tiny but those 1 gig demos could take hours.

[quote name='Errockk']I'm thinking of buyin this. So do I need a wireless or wired router to work with this? Someone said you plug it into a wired router and then that piece creates a signal that goes to the other piece connected to your 360. Is this true?[/QUOTE]
You could use a wireless or wired router as long as it has a free Ethernet port. All this thing is is a bridge. It's like an invisble network cable from one port to another.
It won't talk directly to an existing wireless router though, it's its own proprietary protocol.

This item is great -- I use it to connect a computer on the other side of my house to a "wired" network. I have not used it for gaming, but it is likely fast enough.

It creates a secure 2-way radio frequency connection from station (box) to station. It is not the same thing as a wireless network, nor does it support the wireless protocols. It is plug-and-play -- literally idiot proof. Worth the money to wirelessly connect a device to an existing hardwired network.

Yea I will back up what people say about it being bad for downoading stuff and good for playing games. My friend has this and aside from one game of UMK3 we have not encountered any lag.

[quote name='TypeSH']indeed... downloading things is painfully slow. something to do with the RF technology? i have no idea. playing games is perfect though, so if that's all you want to do and/or you're really patient, this thing is the right price.[/quote]

how many kb/sec are we talking? im somewhat patient =)

Around 100kb/s from what the Hardocp review said. The live servers are fairly slow though, so it is probably a little less than that when downloading on the 360.

I bought this last year for MUCH more, I got robbed apparently but they work great, plug and play.

I have read reports that they have problems w/ PS2 slim and logitech has dicontinued the product

[quote name='expane']I have read reports that they have problems w/ PS2 slim and logitech has dicontinued the product[/QUOTE]

It's an ethernet network extender that uses radio frequency protocols that have nothing to do with Sony's tech. There is no way it would be incompatible with anything.

ive had these for awhile for my 360, and downloading is certianly slow but for online game play it works just fine. i bought mine for $10 off ebay because i wanted a cheap wireless solution when i got my 360 and they do the job.

Any tips or tricks for use with the 360? I previously had my 360 connected directly to my router, but I ordered a set of these because I will be moving the 360 to another room soon. From all the descriptions I've read they are truly plug and play, but I was not able to get the 360 online with these. Just as a test, I connected one box to my laptop and was able to connect, so I know the boxes themselves are working...

[quote name='ps2rich']Any tips or tricks for use with the 360? I previously had my 360 connected directly to my router, but I ordered a set of these because I will be moving the 360 to another room soon. From all the descriptions I've read they are truly plug and play, but I was not able to get the 360 online with these. Just as a test, I connected one box to my laptop and was able to connect, so I know the boxes themselves are working...[/quote]

just make sure the xbox is dhcp/automatic for ip settings. and your router should push out everything. if net try reseting the router. they eally are nothing more than an ethernet cable with a wireless bridge in between. the xbox treats it as a cat5 cable as well as the router also.

[quote name='ps2rich']Any tips or tricks for use with the 360? [/QUOTE]

Plug one end into your 360 and the other end into your router. They are not a piece of networking equipment per se. Any configuration will be at your router and the network protocols it uses to talk with your console.

The best way to explain them, is that they are a single ethernet wire, cut into two pieces, that still works. There is no set-up, no configuration, other than just plugging them in and turning them on.

This works great for playing games but If you are looking to download content at high speeds stay away fro m this thing. It takes about 4-6 hours to download a 1gig demo. My little brother has this thing. It is great for playing games though

Picked one up! Very excited. Worth not having a cable snaking through half my apartment (only one phone jack in the whole apartment, what the hell peope?).

mine just died while plugging it in, was working great, I believe it was a power surge (no surge protector for that particular plug EL STUPIDO!

i have mine plugged into my 360 as we speak and im downloading a demo. it seems to be ok for online play but i haven't had anything to compare it to. i have a lot of problem connecting to gears of war games sometimes but this might happen to everyone. co-op games are nearly impossible to join.

i might try out halo 2 later tonight. that will be a true test.

bread's done
Back