Logitech Z-5450 5.1 Sound System for 187.49 AR with Free Shipping

lee337

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
EDIT: 12-5-06 - CHANGED BACK DOWN TO 187.49 AR.
EDIT: 12-4-06 - CHANGED AGAIN TO 199.99 AR FROM 187.49.
EDIT: 12-2-06 - CHANGED PRICE FROM 168.49 to 187.49 TO REFLECT AMAZON'S CHANGE

Amazon is offering the Logitech Z-5450 5.1 Surround Sound System for 187.49 after a 50.00 rebate and free shipping. This setup has rear wireless speakers as well as 2 optical inputs, a coaxial digital input, and traditional stereo inputs. Built in decoder for DTS, Dolby Digital, and Pro Logic II. Overall this package has gotten some really good reviews. The only complaints have been with the rear wireless speakers interfering with wireless devices such as mice and routers (although some of the good reviews specify they don’t have those problems).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...15353?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

The rebate is good for purchases made between December 1st and 17th.
Amazon also has dropped the prices on some of their other Logitech speaker setups, such as the Z 5500, although I didn’t see a rebate for those.

Product Features
• Eliminate the clutter of rear speaker wires! The Logitech Z-5450 digital speaker package includes dual wireless rear speakers for simple, clutter-free installation.
• Listen to crystal-clear, high-quality audio through rear speaker adaptive channel hopping with redundant transmissions.
• Experience earth-shaking bass. 310-watt RMS delivers thunderous power. Patented dual-chamber subwoofer plays louder and goes lower for unbelievable bass.
• The Z-5450 Digital speakers include a hardware DTS decoder for master-quality sound as well as support for DTS 96/24, an enhanced, higher-resolution, studio-quality format available on many DVD video and DVD Audio discs.
• Use it on your desktop or in your entertainment center. Compact Digital SoundTouch™ Control Center works wherever you put it. Features include: digital LCD, volume level adjustment, auxiliary input jack, mute, and effects settings.

Technical Details
• Model: 970181-0403
• Item Package Quantity: 1
• speaker_type: PC multimedia home theater speaker system
• speakers_nominal_output_power: 315 Watts
• speakers_maximum_output_power: 630 Watts
• Height: 23.23 inches
• Width: 17.52 inches
• Weight: 43.41 pounds
• speaker_amplification_type: Active
• remote_control_description: Remote control
• built_in_decoders: Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, DTS decoder
• Warranty: 2 years warranty

[quote name='WebScud']What encoding has PS3/360/Blu-ray/etc. discs been using lately? DTS and Pro Logic II still?[/QUOTE]

As I know DTS is only for Movie. Most game support Pro logic 2. I may be wrong.

Dolby Pro Logic II is what the Gamecube and Wii use... it takes in a standard analog left and right signals and turns it into "surround" sound. It is of decidedly lower quality than the optical connection you would be getting via a 360 or PS3, which allows for true digital surround sound.

Anyways, if these are anywhere near the quality of the Z-5500's, then this is most definately a smokin deal!

EDIT -

360 uses Dolby Digital 5.1 -
  • Games support Dolby Digital 5.1
    • Encoding multi-channel audio on the fly into DD5.1 to output via S/PDIF to an external receiver

The PS3 looks to have very similar sound capabilities -

"The PS3 will support up to eight channels of audio, or 7.1, running at 96KBs per channel. Reduced-channel formats, like Dolby Digital 5.1, will have higher bit-rate audio streams"

I think like 3 PS2 games use some type of DTS, GTA3 I believe is one

most PS2 games are Stereo or PLII some have DD5.1 for cutscenes (MGS2, Shadow Hearts Cove)

Most XBOX1 games are 5.1 DD

I have this logitech system, its fantastic for a small,midsized set up. It doesnt have the power of a $600 system but it rocks pretty well at less than 50% volume in my room

I have a 40" HDTV and my gaming room is prolly like 10x12 or something IDK, its a good sized room

If you are loooking for something for a 60" HDTV and you sit 15 feet from your TV you will need more power

but for under $200 this is an absolute STEAL

I love these speakers to death, I have them set up in the entertainment system in my room and they definetly rock the house. And for that price you'd have to be friggin' crazy not to buy it!

Oh yeah, if you want to use your Wii on it, you'll have to use one of these things...
6ft Mini Stereo Male to Dual Rca Female Cable
There you go! Google this and you should be fine.

Don't think twice about these speakers, I wouldn't trade them for wired ones at all.

According to the reviews, the rear speakers require an electrical outlet. Kind of defeats some of the "wireless" aspect, but depending on your room layout, its not that big of a deal.

I think what he's asking is how are the rear speakers powered. Don't be mistaken, these are not TOTALLY wireless. They plug into the wall for power.

That said, I've asked for a set of these for Christmas. They will work great for rear speakers behind my couch, one on either side... and easy to plug BOTH in behind the sofa where there are two outlets waiting. ;)

Thanks to the poster for the deal. I'd already asked for the at about $200 shipped, so it may be too late for the extra savings... but I let Santa know. :D

[quote name='merkman']... but I let Santa know. :D[/QUOTE]

You aint kidding. Santa is about to ring my freaking neck....

[quote name='databuild']"Batteries: 2 AA batteries required. (included)"

It is on the product information page.[/QUOTE]

those batteries are for the remote

each of the back speaker has its own power plug. They are "wireless speakers"

Wireless POWER does not yet exist in the home audio market.

I had one of my PS2's hooked up via the stereo adapter, I didnt like the result

Only get this if you are going to use DIGITAL OPTICAL CABLES or a PC

this system was optimized for DIGIGAL OPTICAL CABLES and PCs

if you are going stereo you dont even need 5.1

These aren't quite as good as the Z-5500s according to most reviews. But all reviews for this set have been superb. I encourage everyone to jump on this NOW. Logitech's MSRP is more than double this price.

It's quite interesting how fast the price has dropped on these speakers.

Price is now $187.49 though, but I still went for it

Ordered this last night using the $4.99 Saturday shipping method. Wanted to see if it was realy that fast. 47lbs is pretty heavy and a great deal on Saturday shipping. Yay... Now what to do with my Megaworks 6.1

OMG this is awesome, I cant believe it, its still a good price though. I currently cant buy this and I've asked for way too many other things this year lol. I already spent my money on this (thanks to CAG): http://www.amazon.com/Mike-s-Xbox-360-Collection-and-Hopes-Fulfilled/lm/R2KSZ33VVI12N2/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full/102-1205818-9008929

Too bad because I really could use the wireless rear setup, right now my cords are going underneath the rug. This doesn't look good and nobody likes bumps on a rug plus its ruining the rug overtime.

[quote name='expane']those batteries are for the remote

each of the back speaker has its own power plug. They are "wireless speakers"

Wireless POWER does not yet exist in the home audio market.

I had one of my PS2's hooked up via the stereo adapter, I didnt like the result

Only get this if you are going to use DIGITAL OPTICAL CABLES or a PC

this system was optimized for DIGIGAL OPTICAL CABLES and PCs

if you are going stereo you dont even need 5.1[/quote]

Pro Logic II via the GameCube?

[quote name='WebScud']Pro Logic II via the GameCube?[/QUOTE]

PLII will work via the GCN stereo/RCA cables

I personally think the ToSLINK connections sound far better on this set up.

if you are GCN only I would get something more designed for analog inputs.

if you are multi console it might be fine

wow they upped the price again

typical amazon, something gets discounted, sells ok then they try and sneak in a price hike

Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System
Other products by Logitech
(46 customer reviews) More about this product
List Price: $499.99
Price: $249.99 FREE SHIPPING
You Save: $250.00 (50%)
Rebate: $50.00
Price After Rebate: $199.99

I got in before this 2nd price hike, I mean the price is still not too shabby but yeah, not as good as before now definetly.

Mine is arriving today despite UPS' estimated arrival date of the 16. Now I just gotta wait for that optical --> 1/8th inch from monoprice. Been using Creative's proprietary for too long.

Edited OP to reflect the price hike. Sucks.

I managed to order this when it was 168 AR and it arrived today. I will post impressions later tonight or in the morning.

If you don't have optical in on the soundcard, how do these connect? I presently use some sort of three prong mini-plug to Dell speakers.

Thanks!

Alrighty, go these bad boys in today. Unfreaking-believable!

I am amazed at the sound clarity in these speakers. I fired up my PS2 through my optical cable and set Final Fantasy 12 to Pro Logic II. Wow. I could hear so much detail that wasn't there before. Either my old setup was that bad or these guys are just that good.
I have a wireless router in my house right next to where these speakers are setup and there was no interference at all.

We are painting/remodeling the "entertainment room" this weekend, so I don't have them positioned optimaly yet. Once we are done with that, I will pipe my Xbox through it to really test the Digital 5.1.

[quote name='bsesb2003']If you don't have optical in on the soundcard, how do these connect? I presently use some sort of three prong mini-plug to Dell speakers.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The unit has 3 mini jack inputs that can be switched between 3 stereo inputs or a 6 ch PC speaker setup. It also comes with the cable for your PC.

[quote name='lee337']Alrighty, go these bad boys in today. Unfreaking-believable!

I am amazed at the sound clarity in these speakers. I fired up my PS2 through my optical cable and set Final Fantasy 12 to Pro Logic II. Wow. I could hear so much detail that wasn't there before. Either my old setup was that bad or these guys are just that good.
I have a wireless router in my house right next to where these speakers are setup and there was no interference at all.

We are painting/remodeling the "entertainment room" this weekend, so I don't have them positioned optimaly yet. Once we are done with that, I will pipe my Xbox through it to really test the Digital 5.1.[/QUOTE]

you sir are more lucky than I am.

I received mine today and my left rear speaker does not work at all. Right when I first plugged it in it was flashing red while my rear right speaker was solid red. This is before I set up anything in the front. I had a really bad feeling then, especially since the bottom of the speaker was marked "E" while the other ones had a alpha like symbol under the base.

So then I set everything up and YUP the back left speaker is defective.......... Goddamit -_-. I don't want to have to pack up all this crap and have to send it back to amazon so I'm HOPING Logitech will advance ship me a new left speaker tomorrow when I call, though I'm not going to be too optimistic about that -_-..................

But with the 4 speakers I do have these do sound very great and the console is a nice touch. Granted these speakers are 3x more powerful than my old Creative DTTS3500's which were like 70/W total, but there is a nice clarity difference.

#@%@ I swear the QC guys at Logitech fucked up or something and stuck a bad speaker in there.

Yea you guys, they're the top end of their (Logitech) product's list right now. You got all the bells and whistles and I think the price you got for that, a falty rear speaker is still good lol. Pretty cool it comes with a cable for pc, sometimes you have to go to radioshack because you need cables or adapter shit. That speaker system is the shit and I'm all into audio (70 watts (current setup) is cool but I so want more), congrads. I also like to listen to a lot of electronic music, so you gotta love the new woofers that are coming out.

Update, there's also an additional 5% off if purchased between the 5 and the 18th. Driving the price down to 175.62
------
Hey guys, price went down again.

Hmm, I'm wondering if I should just jump on this or not. I do have a basic 7.1 set up trhough my PC (Audigy 2ZS Platinum and P7800), though there's some delay and a very annoying popping interference in GoW.

Get this or a sub 300 HTiB, or build from sctratch (not that I have any knowledge though). I'm not really that much of an audiophile though, so anything that's clear is good enough (I can't crank it up anyways, since I live in an apartment next to a room with a 6 month old baby)

[quote name='Mad-B-Man']Update, there's also an additional 5% off if purchased between the 5 and the 18th. Driving the price down to 175.62
------
Hey guys, price went down again.

Hmm, I'm wondering if I should just jump on this or not. I do have a basic 7.1 set up trhough my PC (Audigy 2ZS Platinum and P7800), though there's some delay and a very annoying popping interference in GoW.

Get this or a sub 300 HTiB, or build from sctratch (not that I have any knowledge though). I'm not really that much of an audiophile though, so anything that's clear is good enough (I can't crank it up anyways, since I live in an apartment next to a room with a 6 month old baby)[/QUOTE]

i'd get this for the wireless speakers and very above average sound. It's perfect for apartments where you dont want to kill the neighbors with a crazy setuplike the Z-5500's

[quote name='Zoglog']you sir are more lucky than I am.

I received mine today and my left rear speaker does not work at all. Right when I first plugged it in it was flashing red while my rear right speaker was solid red. This is before I set up anything in the front. I had a really bad feeling then, especially since the bottom of the speaker was marked "E" while the other ones had a alpha like symbol under the base.

So then I set everything up and YUP the back left speaker is defective.......... Goddamit -_-. I don't want to have to pack up all this crap and have to send it back to amazon so I'm HOPING Logitech will advance ship me a new left speaker tomorrow when I call, though I'm not going to be too optimistic about that -_-..................

But with the 4 speakers I do have these do sound very great and the console is a nice touch. Granted these speakers are 3x more powerful than my old Creative DTTS3500's which were like 70/W total, but there is a nice clarity difference.

#@%@ I swear the QC guys at Logitech fucked up or something and stuck a bad speaker in there.[/QUOTE]

You probably already tried this, but I read a warning in the manual/quick setup sheet that specificly says do not power on the rear speakers or sub unit until everything is set up properly. Don't know if that would make a difference in your case, but wanted to throw that out there. Good luck.

[quote name='Mysteriouskk']Does anyone know if I can hook up these speakers to my cable tv box so that I can watch tv in 5.1?[/QUOTE]

You can hook up anything that has audio out (ie. rca outs, minijack outs, digital optical or coax out). The unit has 3 minijack plugs for 3 seperate stereo sources. You may have to buy a stereo RCA to minijack adapter from Walmart or Radioshack, but it will work fine.

[quote name='lee337']You probably already tried this, but I read a warning in the manual/quick setup sheet that specificly says do not power on the rear speakers or sub unit until everything is set up properly. Don't know if that would make a difference in your case, but wanted to throw that out there. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that had anything to do with it really, the right rear speaker turned on just fine and the red light was solid. whereas the left reat speaker was just plain ol flashing red from the Get go. I already had an onimous feeling even before I plugged anything in when I saw a marking on the bottom of the speaker base that had "E" on it.

I'm pretty sure the idiots stuck a faulty speaker into the box that had been tested as faulty.
Dealing with all this indian tech support is giving me a headache... Amazon didn't have indian customer support a year or so ago and it was MUCH better............. This idiot is having trouble even talking

Ok so afterwards you get an e-mail asking you if that helped, I clicked on no and got a call back from somone competent at amazon, so basically they're shipping me a replacement set and I'll just swap out the defective speaker....

but man that was by far the WORST Indian cust support I have ever encoutnered. There's been a-lot of mediocre ones and a few decent ones. But this guy was just unbearable............

As for Logitech they wouldnt send me out a replacement speaker until 30 days beacuse "Amazon has such a good return policy" -_-.

I just emailed amazon and got back $11, because I said that there was now a 5% back discount. Got in the first deal which puts my total to $157.49

[quote name='Mysteriouskk']I just emailed amazon and got back $11, because I said that there was now a 5% back discount. Got in the first deal which puts my total to $157.49[/QUOTE]

what 5% discount?

[quote name='Zoglog']what 5% discount?[/QUOTE]
Its on the Amazon Z-5450 page. Under the picture.

Special Offer: Save an instant 5% (up to $100 total) on a wide selection of computer hardware offered by Amazon.com. Add eligible items to your cart, and the savings will automatically be subtracted. Applies only to products sold by Amazon.com. Does not apply to products sold on our site by third-party merchants or through third-party areas such as Amazon.com Marketplace, Auctions, or zShops. Hurry, savings end December 18. See details.

I just ordered one, on checkout for some reason if i select STANDARD SHIPPING. its the same price as FREE SHIPPING. the price wont change...but for other shipping methods like 1 day etc are more expensive....o well i get faster shipping for free. hopefully they wont charge me later for a mistake

[quote name='getmyrunon']The z-5500s have dropped to 252 w/ free shipping and no rebates...[/QUOTE]

those rock the house, not wireless in the back but more power than these, I was thinking of those but I never put my 5450s above 50% and I only do 50% for obscenely quiet TV shows

as far as the flashing red speaker, yeah that is a defect. It should only ever be solid red or solid blue, sorry to hear that

[quote name='expane']those rock the house, not wireless in the back but more power than these, I was thinking of those but I never put my 5450s above 50% and I only do 50% for obscenely quiet TV shows

as far as the flashing red speaker, yeah that is a defect. It should only ever be solid red or solid blue, sorry to hear that[/QUOTE]

Hah funniest thing, I went home during lunch and I left the defective speaker tilted sideways and when I turned on the system and it went blue for a few seconds, then started falshing red again when I put it upright. damn faulty speaker. Well after dealing with the Horrid Indian cust Reps @ amazon, I finally got through to somone who was actually helpful and was definetly somone more local. Basically they shipped out my replacement product today Overnight wooo!

Now my question is if I will have to replace my whole system, or should the rear speaker from the new setup work with my current one? If so I think I'd rather just leave the majority of the new package in and just take out the rear speaker and put in my defective one. Especially since I stuck the front speakers onto my spekaer stands with adhesive.

Woo also got the refund, thanks for the headsup on the 5%

This looks like a pretty sweet. Anyone know offhand what cable I need to hook my 360 up to this when I buy it? Can't wait for my paycheck on Friday. I really needs some sort of speaker setup for my gaming.

Thanks man, I was looking for fiber optic audio cables at walmart and couldn't find any and had to get the regular ones. Just ordered tonight, looks to be a great price, got the 6 ft one.

bread's done
Back