Logitech Z-5450 5.1 Sound System for 187.49 AR with Free Shipping

lee337

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
EDIT: 12-5-06 - CHANGED BACK DOWN TO 187.49 AR.
EDIT: 12-4-06 - CHANGED AGAIN TO 199.99 AR FROM 187.49.
EDIT: 12-2-06 - CHANGED PRICE FROM 168.49 to 187.49 TO REFLECT AMAZON'S CHANGE

Amazon is offering the Logitech Z-5450 5.1 Surround Sound System for 187.49 after a 50.00 rebate and free shipping. This setup has rear wireless speakers as well as 2 optical inputs, a coaxial digital input, and traditional stereo inputs. Built in decoder for DTS, Dolby Digital, and Pro Logic II. Overall this package has gotten some really good reviews. The only complaints have been with the rear wireless speakers interfering with wireless devices such as mice and routers (although some of the good reviews specify they don’t have those problems).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...15353?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

The rebate is good for purchases made between December 1st and 17th.
Amazon also has dropped the prices on some of their other Logitech speaker setups, such as the Z 5500, although I didn’t see a rebate for those.

Product Features
• Eliminate the clutter of rear speaker wires! The Logitech Z-5450 digital speaker package includes dual wireless rear speakers for simple, clutter-free installation.
• Listen to crystal-clear, high-quality audio through rear speaker adaptive channel hopping with redundant transmissions.
• Experience earth-shaking bass. 310-watt RMS delivers thunderous power. Patented dual-chamber subwoofer plays louder and goes lower for unbelievable bass.
• The Z-5450 Digital speakers include a hardware DTS decoder for master-quality sound as well as support for DTS 96/24, an enhanced, higher-resolution, studio-quality format available on many DVD video and DVD Audio discs.
• Use it on your desktop or in your entertainment center. Compact Digital SoundTouch™ Control Center works wherever you put it. Features include: digital LCD, volume level adjustment, auxiliary input jack, mute, and effects settings.

Technical Details
• Model: 970181-0403
• Item Package Quantity: 1
• speaker_type: PC multimedia home theater speaker system
• speakers_nominal_output_power: 315 Watts
• speakers_maximum_output_power: 630 Watts
• Height: 23.23 inches
• Width: 17.52 inches
• Weight: 43.41 pounds
• speaker_amplification_type: Active
• remote_control_description: Remote control
• built_in_decoders: Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, DTS decoder
• Warranty: 2 years warranty

Just a heads up guys, these speakers seem to cause some interference with the bluetooth wireless on the PS3 controllers. Before I only got 2 desyncs total. Today playing resistance in 1 sitting it desynced at least 6 times, which was really really damn annoying.

I think it's beacause they both run on the 2.4Ghz Frequency Which really sucks............ Gonna have to test this with my Wii now.

well Amazon is frickin awesome, they overnighted me a new set which I got yesterday and simply took out the new left rear speaker and BAM perfect.

Can i plug devices like my ipod, psp, etc... using the headphone connections like a standard stereo? i think someone told me it's an AUX? Does this have that?

[quote name='erika1209']Can i plug devices like my ipod, psp, etc... using the headphone connections like a standard stereo? i think someone told me it's an AUX? Does this have that?[/quote]

You can use either three 3.5mm stereo inputs (iPod, Discman, etc.) or one 6-channel PC sound card.

The set comes with the 6-channel PC cable.

3.5mm cabels are not included. In order to use RCA connections (the red and white we all know so well) you need to buy an adaptor that converts it to a 3.5mm cable. They can be purchased for $4.99 from Logitech's site. I've been told that Pro Logic II (a-la GCN/PS2) will sill work though that converter -- I'll let you know if I've been lied to. ;)

[quote name='Zoglog']Just a heads up guys, these speakers seem to cause some interference with the bluetooth wireless on the PS3 controllers. Before I only got 2 desyncs total. Today playing resistance in 1 sitting it desynced at least 6 times, which was really really damn annoying.

I think it's beacause they both run on the 2.4Ghz Frequency Which really sucks............ Gonna have to test this with my Wii now.[/QUOTE]

OMG THAT SUCKS...let me know if it messes with your Nintendo wii, i have one on the way...hope theres not too many interfeirance issues

I'm currently considering purchasing some P.C. audio equipment in the 150~300 dollar range, but I am begining to think it makes more sense to run the sound card through a traditional receiver and spend slightly more. Could anyone give me some insight as to which would offer more bang for the buck (...no pun intended...) and why. Thank you.

[quote name='WebScud']You can use either three 3.5mm stereo inputs (iPod, Discman, etc.) or one 6-channel PC sound card.

The set comes with the 6-channel PC cable.

3.5mm cabels are not included. In order to use RCA connections (the red and white we all know so well) you need to buy an adaptor that converts it to a 3.5mm cable. They can be purchased for $4.99 from Logitech's site. I've been told that Pro Logic II (a-la GCN/PS2) will sill work though that converter -- I'll let you know if I've been lied to. ;)[/quote]

Correction. The adaptor turns RCA stereo into the 6-channel style PC card inputs.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10036

i used the wireless logitech XBOX1 controller last night, no interference

I notice that if I lay my blackberry next to the remote control sometimes the thing shuts off

[quote name='Indonesia']do you know whether radioshack may have thise jack?[/QUOTE]
yes, (YMMV )I bought one there

Now that I think about it, It's probably a smarter move to get an HTiB. I'm leaning for a Sony DDW-900 (or 700). I'm pretty sure that it can also take in PC sources via the optical out on my Audigy 2 ZS Bay drive.

It might be overkill for me (310 vs 800, 505 vs 900 watts), bt I figure better the extra power in case I have an oportunity to use it (I am moving soon anyways, new place might be a little more HT friendly). Prices aren't that different anyways (DDW 700 about the same as the 5450, even cheaper. DDW 900 about the same as the 5500, can be found cheaper, though mostly out of stock. A little high for instock places).

Thoughts, comments, other stuff to look into? This decoder problem with my Audigy 2 ZS is driving me nuts.

Creative is Lame in putting thier own proprietary jacks. Turns out the rear of the Audigy 2 Platinum 1/8th inch SPIDF Jack is NOT Optical. This was majorly dissapointing to me because I think the Audigy 2 Platinum ZS does indeed have one. The Optical Jacks in the front of my PC don't work well either so it's back to Analog connections for 5.1 on PC for me, which isn't really that big a deal. It sounds good all the same.

The speaker console also works nicely with the harmony remote. My old one had some issues before.

Also an update on the PS3 Controller, I think the desyncing had a bit to do with my controllers being low on battery. I played through a bit of Genji today without much desyncing at all with a full charge controller.

I hooked up these speakers to my TV today using the optical out, and there is one problem I have with them. When the scene on tv has a lot of bass coming out, the speakers make these loud defening short bursts sorta like when a microphone is close to a speaker. Anyone know how I can get rid of these sounds?

Well I dont have these speakers but I did pick up those fiber optic audio cables with fancy connectors at the end. I need an adapter from the fiber optic audio to the audio connector (2 to 1) which is connected to my pc. I'm pretty sure I need a TOSlink adapter.

Is this the adapter I need, and if so do I need two or can I get two audio cable (white and red from the 360 vga cable) to plug into this.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&style=&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

[quote name='Mysteriouskk']I hooked up these speakers to my TV today using the optical out, and there is one problem I have with them. When the scene on tv has a lot of bass coming out, the speakers make these loud defening short bursts sorta like when a microphone is close to a speaker. Anyone know how I can get rid of these sounds?[/quote]

Mine does not do that. You may have to call Logitech customer support.

What is your bass level set at? How close is your sub to the wall?

Quick question for anyone that has these or is planning to get them. How are you going to deal with only having two real inputs if you are using them as home theater speakers? I mean, if they are like the Z-5500s (which I have) there is one optical input and one digital coax input. I'm just curious because I'm really considering these although I don't really want to have to use a switcher.

I guess theoretically if your TV has an optical output you could plug it into these speakers and get audio through them for all devices plugged into the TV, but they wouldn't all be 5.1, would they? I'm kind of rusty on my home audio expertise.

[quote name='horrido']Mine does not do that. You may have to call Logitech customer support.

What is your bass level set at? How close is your sub to the wall?[/QUOTE]

Logitech cust support is useless. U have better luck dealing a replacement with amazon

[quote name='Zoglog']Logitech cust support is useless. U have better luck dealing a replacement with amazon[/QUOTE]
Amazon replacements are the best. They are sending me a new set this week and they are sending me a shipping label as well for returning the item.

[quote name='Zoglog']Creative is Lame in putting thier own proprietary jacks. Turns out the rear of the Audigy 2 Platinum 1/8th inch SPIDF Jack is NOT Optical. This was majorly dissapointing to me because I think the Audigy 2 Platinum ZS does indeed have one. The Optical Jacks in the front of my PC don't work well either so it's back to Analog connections for 5.1 on PC for me, which isn't really that big a deal. It sounds good all the same.

The speaker console also works nicely with the harmony remote. My old one had some issues before.

Also an update on the PS3 Controller, I think the desyncing had a bit to do with my controllers being low on battery. I played through a bit of Genji today without much desyncing at all with a full charge controller.[/quote]

did you make sure to go into the software and enable the front panel connections? I know on the fatal1ty you have to unmute connections to use them.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Well I dont have these speakers but I did pick up those fiber optic audio cables with fancy connectors at the end. I need an adapter from the fiber optic audio to the audio connector (2 to 1) which is connected to my pc. I'm pretty sure I need a TOSlink adapter.

Is this the adapter I need, and if so do I need two or can I get two audio cable (white and red from the 360 vga cable) to plug into this.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&style=&seq=1&format=1#largeimage[/quote]

I was wondering about an answer for my question so I opened up a new thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2461780#post2461780

If someone could help me, itd be great.:bouncy:

[quote name='CaseyRyback']did you make sure to go into the software and enable the front panel connections? I know on the fatal1ty you have to unmute connections to use them.[/quote]
That's actually true. After a bit of searching, it seems that Creative has SPDIF muted at defult. you can either unmute them in their software, or do it in the speaker settings.

The post I read only mentioned the platinum 2 ZS, but I imagine them doing it on every card.

I'll throw this question out again...

What speaker stands are you guys using with these? I picked up two pairs of GE stands at Targer for $34.99 each. DON'T buy them, they suck. They're going back tomorrow. The way the speaker is mouted is by applying pressure to the unit and it does not use the stand screw at the bottom of the Logitech speakers.

Got the system in on Friday to use with my TV and 360 and I am very pleased. I can't belive I picked this up for under $200.

Ask again since no response:

Anyone get a problem with the rear wireless speaker light color purple? I run the test and the speaker didn't produce any sound.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']did you make sure to go into the software and enable the front panel connections? I know on the fatal1ty you have to unmute connections to use them.[/QUOTE]

yeah, The problem is that in the audigy 2 platinum the front jacks were made for stereo recording to and from your minidisk player rather than outputting optical for speakers.

Also after playing more, im starting to think these speakers DO cause some interference with the ps3 controller causing it to desync. It doesn't make it unplayable but it can be somewhat annoying.

[quote name='Zoglog']yeah, The problem is that in the audigy 2 platinum the front jacks were made for stereo recording to and from your minidisk player rather than outputting optical for speakers.[/quote]

Have you tried Optical SPDIF in or out? Or did you try Coaxial?

Becuase I know that SPDIF Optical in does indeed do 5.1. It has no problems with Pro logic II on the PS2, though the Dolby digital on the 360 does have problems with the software based decoder.

[quote name='Indonesia']Ask again since no response:

Anyone get a problem with the rear wireless speaker light color purple? I run the test and the speaker didn't produce any sound.[/QUOTE]

broken, have amazon replace it

it should only be blue )on( or red(plugged in and off)

My search for speaker stands has finally ended -- Sanus HTB3b

I had intense trouble finding speaker stands that worked properly because of the awkward angle of the screw on the speakers. These stands come with mounts that use strong double stick tape to hold the speakers in place. At first this may seem jank, but after setting up one speaker and toying I feel totally comfortable with speakers being attached that way.

I bought these stands for my parents a couple of years ago to use with their home theater and they haven't had any issues.

The only thing that might be a problem for someone is that the AC cord of the rear speakers can't be fed through the stands -- but could you imgaine how giant the stands would be if you could? Yikes.

I picked them up for $54.99 at Best Buy B&M. They're currently on sale on the website for $49.49.

Same stands I bought for them. I don't know if they meant for the screw hole on the bottom to be used for mounting in that way, although I guess you could if it was possible to find a stand that supported such an angle. What you're supposed to do is just unscrew the base, turn it 180 degrees, and then screw it back on. Now what was the underside of the base acts as a hook for mounting.

I had to use an awkward combination of the brackets before I finally got them mounted nice and stable though, so I wouldn't bother if the sticky tape worked for you. For the cords I just took some of the short black tie wraps that came with the 5450's and tied the cord to the stand down low for each one.

It's not up $100, it's just not eligible for the $50 rebate anymore (and $20 or so more.) Still a hell of a lot better than the $500 MSRP on the Logitech page. Even with the $30-40 you're going to pay in shipping on them it's worth picking up. I'm just hoping the price doesn't spike in the next month before I can afford to pick the set up.

Hey yall, I'm having a problem. I got the speakers in but can't find any link to the rebate and did not get a form with the speakers. A little help please

Man, I bought the set to "upgrade" my Z560, only to find out it's actually weaker (wireless rear is nice tho)

I'd highly recommend NOT buying this set, if you're running 802.11b/g network, it disrupts the whole 2.4GHz space using it's "propietary" channel-hopping thingy.

EDIT: I've DD-WRT on WRT54G (set to 200% signal strength) - that seems to alleviate the wifi problem

Hey, Zoglog, maybe I could borrow your 'big banana' to block my Z5450 radio? :)

[quote name='gidal']Man, I bought the set to "upgrade" my Z560, only to find out it's actually weaker (wireless rear is nice tho)

I'd highly recommend NOT buying this set, if you're running 802.11b/g network, it disrupts the whole 2.4GHz space using it's "propietary" channel-hopping thingy.

Hey, Zoglog, maybe I could borrow your 'big banana' to block my Z5450 radio? :)[/quote]

Get a better router. I bleed 2.4 GHz and have no issues with anything.

[quote name='Zoglog']check your amazon account history hookem[/quote]
Still can't seem to find it there. I appreciate the help, btw. Where did all of you find your rebate info?

http://www.gigasize.com/index.php There is a "quick upload" around the middle of the page, then it should provide you a link to the upload. You just have to browse, select the file, then click agree to terms. That's the only site I've ever really used for this kind of thing. Thank you a ton!

bread's done
Back