London Taxi Rush Hour - reviews?

rjung

CAGiversary!
While wandering around EB the other day, I saw that London Taxi Rush Hour came out recently. Normally I'd just ignore it as another budget-priced quickie port, but:

• I vaguely recall hearing that the original PC game was pretty decent
  • Apparently, not all budget shovelware titles are bad (nost notably Winter Sports: The Ultimate Challenge).
  • I'm willing to plop down $20 for a good Crazy Taxi clone

So has anyone tried the Wii version of London Taxi Rush Hour? What's the word?

--R.J.

Wow, this is literally the first time I've heard of this game. I too would be interested in a good, cheap, Crazy Taxi clone.

Buying this game would be supporting Data Design Interactive (check out the show reel, notice anything...redundant?). One of the companies turning the Wii library into a complete joke.

If that isn't incentive enough to never even pick up the box in store except to laugh, well, it seems OPM UK gave the game a 2/10 when it was released for PS2 in 2006.

[quote name='rjung']I vaguely recall hearing that the original PC game was pretty decent.

--R.J.[/quote]

Someone needs a hearing aid. :)

If it helps, IGN gave it a 1.0. Then again, IGN gives pretty much all their games a 1.0.

I do think there was a 1.3 once. I remember it vaguely. I think it was a tuesday.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lzAdiSv3Lo[/media]

Looks really shitty. You're better off just playing Crazy Taxi. PS2 version should be super cheap. Or just pull out the old Dreamcast.

Okay so I got to try this game out today. Let me tell you for anyone remotely interested that this is the biggest piece of shit I've played on the Wii yet. I haven't had the joy to try such hits as Ninjabread Man yet but this has got me laughing at horrible this game is.

First off in the opening screens they proudly show off the Havok screen. O RLY? Then how come on my first run though I jumped off a ramp and landed on top of another car at a 45 degree angle and got stuck. STUCK. I tried accelerating, reversing, and turbo. Nothing I would do worked. So I had to restart.

So if you get past the horribly loose controls, the looping single song that also plays through the menus, and the non-existent sound effects (you literally only hear the vroom vroom of the car), somewhere in this POS lies an attempt at a taxi game. With each pick up of a customer a text screen pops up to stop the action and the customer has a comment of where he needs to get quickly. Then a green dot appears on a map and a timer shows up. Someone needs to explain to me why the fuck customers leave the car with 3 seconds left on the clock. You're driving and trying to race the clock then boom - text block and customer leaves the taxi. :shock:

So in conclusion, I laughed it off and remembered about this thread so there you go, a hands-on CAG impression. Don't touch this unless you like touching shit. Now I must go wash my hands.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Okay so I got to try this game out today. Let me tell you for anyone remotely interested that this is the biggest piece of shit I've played on the Wii yet. I haven't had the joy to try such hits as Ninjabread Man yet but this has got me laughing at horrible this game is.

First off in the opening screens they proudly show off the Havok screen. O RLY? Then how come on my first run though I jumped off a ramp and landed on top of another car at a 45 degree angle and got stuck. STUCK. I tried accelerating, reversing, and turbo. Nothing I would do worked. So I had to restart.

So if you get past the horribly loose controls, the looping single song that also plays through the menus, and the non-existent sound effects (you literally only hear the vroom vroom of the car), somewhere in this POS lies an attempt at a taxi game. With each pick up of a customer a text screen pops up to stop the action and the customer has a comment of where he needs to get quickly. Then a green dot appears on a map and a timer shows up. Someone needs to explain to me why the fuck customers leave the car with 3 seconds left on the clock. You're driving and trying to race the clock then boom - text block and customer leaves the taxi. :shock:

So in conclusion, I laughed it off and remembered about this thread so there you go, a hands-on CAG impression. Don't touch this unless you like touching shit. Now I must go wash my hands.[/QUOTE]

Sounds awesome!

Thanks for doing this though - I might have been tempted if I saw this cheap.

For a game thats suppossed to take place in London during rush hour, those streets in the vid seem pretty empty.

I will never buy a DDI game, not even for a dollar.

Oh yea I forgot to mention after 3 failed attempts, I tried to pick up a fourth person and he wouldn't come in because my taxi was too dirty. I didn't want to figure out how to wash the car so I quit. Should add DONT BUY into the OP :lol:

[quote name='CouRageouS']Oh yea I forgot to mention after 3 failed attempts, I tried to pick up a fourth person and he wouldn't come in because my taxi was too dirty.[/QUOTE]

WTF???? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

bread's done
Back