Long GBA Games

maxguy56

CAGiversary!
Can anyone reccomend a few really nice and long GBA games. I so enjoy many of the games I get, but they just seem to end too soon.

Totally agree with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance... that game takes freakin' forever, but doesn't drag too bad IMO. Fire Emblem takes some time if you're bent on not having any characters killed (which usually means replaying missions over and over again).

[quote name='Mustang O-Line 75']I played 70 hours on Castlevania Circle of the moon

I might be insane[/quote]
I wouldn't say you're insane since C:CotM is one of my favorite games, but 70 hours?! Were you trying to level up to the maximum level or something?

I don't understand why you would want to play it that long on one play-through, unless you're talking about the sum of all the times you've played it, which doesn't see odd at all to me.

I heard Phantasy Star Collection is pretty lengthy. Three games, about 20-30 hours each. I have it somewhere toward the back of my impossibly long line of to-plays, but I doubt I'll ever even open it.

Golden Sun was short IMO. CotM is definately one of the longer titles, Lunar has what, 3 games in 1? Tactics Ogre is incredibly long, and add months longer if you're a level whore such as myself. Tactics is long, but it feels like crap, shoulda left the classic be. Sword of Mana I heard has decent length, but it's Square Enix so I dare not touch it, much like the new Tactics, (sadly... I TOUCHED, *burns fingers off). Another good long game is Fire Pro Wrestling, that game has some serious depth, rivaling that of even games on next gen systems. That's about it, so stick to RPG's and their hybrids, same for every system.

Try something with lots of replay. FPW is a good choice, and incredibly cheap as well. How about puzzle games (Puzzle Fighter, Pokémon Puzzle Challenge for the GBC), or maybe fighters (Street Fighter Alpha 3, King of Fighters games)? There are lots of games out there that aren't story-dependent and can be replayed over and over. You've just got to find them...

If that fails, and I'm thinking that it will since no one likes my taste in games, just get Pokémon Something and be happy.

[quote name='digioverload'][quote name='Mustang O-Line 75']I played 70 hours on Castlevania Circle of the moon

I might be insane[/quote]
I wouldn't say you're insane since C:CotM is one of my favorite games, but 70 hours?! Were you trying to level up to the maximum level or something?

I don't understand why you would want to play it that long on one play-through, unless you're talking about the sum of all the times you've played it, which doesn't see odd at all to me.[/quote]

It was actually the added up times of my playthroughs. I love how there are 8 (7?) save spots to save your data in, because of the awesome ways to play through the game.
My first playthrough was about 12 hours, then i went a little farther on that, got all the cards, 100% map etc, and that took me about 5 more hours, and every time after that it was about 4 hours long.

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='BLarR'] Lunar has what, 3 games in 1?[/quote]
I thought the GBA Lunar was just SSS.[/quote]

I thought the same thing, but I wasn't sure.

I'd recommend FFTA, Golden Sun (I or II), and even Pokemon (Sapphire/Ruby had some fun additional aspects aside from just collecting/raising). You can easily spend a lot of times on any of these games. I wish I had the time you seem to have! :cry:

9 months of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance:
Still playing it, still havent beaten it (im going really deep into it), 45 hours plus game overs/forgetting to save (happened once or twice)

and im still playing it!!! and loving it!!!
Easily the longest ive ever spent on a game

Advanced Wars 2 takes a while if you play it on both normal and hard mode and Fire Emlem is probably the longest game I've played for the GBA because I suck and have to replay the levels several times.

Advance Wars 1/2 since they are very deep and pretty hard. There are also those side maps/etc. the Pokemon games have a ton of replayablity and will eat a good chunk of your time. Onimusha tactics wasn't bad IMP. The Goldun Suns are good. Fighting games and games like Double Dragon and River City Ransom to seem to have some good replayablity which seems to make the games longer. Mario and Luigi: SSS was decent in length and was one of the funnest games I have ever played. The Mega Man Zero games and MEga Man and Bass games, while not to long in a sense are very deep and quite difficult which can either be frustrating or extend the game's life for you. Legend of Zelda and any of the Metroid games are unbelieveably fun and can take a decent amount of time depending on whether or not you go for 100% or how fast you do a run through. Shining Soul was an above average RPG that took quite a bit of time do everything. Also I can recommend the Breath of Fire series (only 1 and 2 are on the GBA) which seemed like slower than normal RPGs so they can take long but also seem a little tedious at times. Sword of Mana is a very fun RPG on the GBA with a pretty cool fighting system that isn't too long but seems very rewarding in the end.

If you posted what you have and have not, than maybe I could come up with a better list since I have a lot of GBA games.

If I think of more I'll Post them.

Games I have:
Pokemon: Sapphire
Mario & Luigi
Mario vs. DK
Sonic Advance
Advane Wars 1 & 2
TMNT
Ecks vs. Sever
Super Monkey Ball Jr.
Castlevania CotM

I really appreciate the suggestions. If anyone knows any long 2D shooters, like the Strikers 1945 style, or action adventure games I really like those. After all the suggestions, I'm really considering Golden Sun too.

Definitely Golden Sun. GS: The Lost Age is a direct sequel from 1, so make sure you play that Golden Sun 1.

Fire Emblem is also a must have, as well as Sword of Mand. Other favorites include Bomberman Tournament (story mode's quite lengthy) and CIMA: The Enemy.

[quote name='BLarR']Another good long game is Fire Pro Wrestling, that game has some serious depth, rivaling that of even games on next gen systems. [/quote]

I'm having issues getting started, it seems really tough to time hits right, and I don't really know how to go about the fighting. Any suggestions? (Sorry about threadjacking)

[quote name='nachzeher']Definitely Golden Sun. GS: The Lost Age is a direct sequel from 1, so make sure you play that Golden Sun 1.

Fire Emblem is also a must have, as well as Sword of Mand. Other favorites include Bomberman Tournament (story mode's quite lengthy) and CIMA: The Enemy.[/quote]

How is CIMA? Didn't it get bad reviews? It seems like it was maybe underrated. I know my bf picked it up at Toys R Us for $15 as a Christmas gift for me, was it worth it?

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='BLarR'] Lunar has what, 3 games in 1?[/quote]
I thought the GBA Lunar was just SSS.[/quote]

I thought the same thing, but I wasn't sure.[/quote]

It is. I don't know what he was talking about when he said three games in one. Lunar Legend changes some things up, but it is basically Lunar: SSSC. Instead of bromides (those who played know what I am talking about) you collect cards of enemies, characters, etc. I prefer the bromides though. *looking at my own sig.*

EDIT: And actually, it only lasted about 10-12 hours. Take that for what it is worth, but that's not very long IMO.

[quote name='nachzeher']Definitely Golden Sun. GS: The Lost Age is a direct sequel from 1, so make sure you play that Golden Sun 1.

Fire Emblem is also a must have, as well as Sword of Mand. Other favorites include Bomberman Tournament (story mode's quite lengthy) and CIMA: The Enemy.[/quote]CIMA: The Enemy? I've never heard of that game, what is it about?

No love for the Zelda games? You can get Link to the Past which is great. Also, there are two great Zelda Gameboy Color games.

Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages

Also, Sword of Mana is fairly good and is an RPG of sorts.

[quote name='maxguy56'][quote name='nachzeher']Definitely Golden Sun. GS: The Lost Age is a direct sequel from 1, so make sure you play that Golden Sun 1.

Fire Emblem is also a must have, as well as Sword of Mand. Other favorites include Bomberman Tournament (story mode's quite lengthy) and CIMA: The Enemy.[/quote]CIMA: The Enemy? I've never heard of that game, what is it about?[/quote]

I haven't had the chance to play my copy, but here are some links for you:

http://www.netjak.com/review.php/596
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/915387.asp?q=cima

You may laugh, but if you're a Metroid fan, check out Metroid Fusion. Even though it takes 4-5 hours to beat on the first try, I have played through the game more than 5 times. Many people complained that it had no replay value, but I disagree. I enjoyed playing through again and again to beat my old records.

As far as game length is concerned, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance takes the cake. You can easily log over 120 hours and it still won't get old.

bread's done
Back